Community Member

Default Build for Ranger Past Lives using monk gear?

I'm currently just over halfway through fighter life 2/3 on my monk. I love monk combat and definitely want to stay on that track but seeing the way ranged combat is becoming more prevalent I'm thinking I may have to eventually run some ranger past lives.

I really like the layout of my current life - will end up 2 arti-9 monk-9 fighter, took the 1 arti upfront, 1 of the fighter levels to qualify for Whirlwind at level 6, and monk other than that to 11. Take arti 2 to catch up skills around 15 or 16 and fighter the rest of the levels to fill out the past life requirement. I can trap, UMD, have the nice +1 weapon bonus arti spell, Touch of Death/Shadow Fade from Monk, and Whirlwind to speed up the zerg'ing.

That's worked really well for me but I'm trying to wrap my head around a good way to fit that in as a ranger. I'd be looking at a lot less feats but on the flip side there's a lot of granted feats too (TWF line to at least iTWF and possibly gTWF depending on the depth of the splash). I could certainly drop the monk back a bit too - 7 would work really well if I wanted to keep the 2 arti - as I'm not tied to dark monk completely (though shadow fade's invis component is outstanding for someone that knows the quests well).

Just wondering if anyone's done this - built a nice build around monk abilities on a ranger platform (as opposed to the very common ranger deep splash on the monk platform) and what worked best for them there. Last thing to point out - I do tend to play the game 1-18, take 20, TR on lives like this so a build that gets things in the last two levels isn't really that useful - more important to build for 18. And I'm not tied to Arti - rogue is just fine as well as a splash. I just want a nice build for quickly getting ranger past lives using handwraps fighting style and having rogue skills (both trapping and UMD), preferably with Stunning and Whirlwind in there but not required if it can't fit.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

I'd thought of Tempest as well since I love Whirlwind (which basically makes Tempest I cost nothing but the 4 enhancement points) but I'm not sure how much benefit the PrE gives a handwrap-based fighter.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

Half Elf - 9 Ranger (Tempest I or AA) 9 Monk - Dark.... just for laughs. Cleric Dilli for scrolling coupled with good amp makes for good self healing.

The thing is if its past lives ranger you are after then it doesnt really matter how you build them as you already seem to have plenty of knowledge of how to make a decent monk, coupled with nice tactics from your fighter past lives.

I think you could build some sort of wisdom based build dark monk (6 or 9 levels) that really gives you the survivability you need to streak your way through to 20. Max wisdom for AC, Stun Fist DC, Ranged Attk Centred using Zen Archery (so you don't need to switch back into stance)

As with what i first mentioned the 9/9 split is probably a goer, possibly though you could throw in 2 levels of fighter if short on feats (also gaining fighter haste boost + tactics + str 1) making the final build 7Ranger/9mnk/2fighter - HalfElf with Cleric Dilli...... with levels 19/20 obviously being ranger.

Edit: Whoops I didnt see the Rogue stipulation so swap the 2 levels of fighter for rog/arti, allows you to maybe pick fighter dilli (as u have umd for scrolling) for additional tactics.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Helf 11 ranger/9 monk. I'd say take the monk lvls first as monk rocks low lvls, get tempest. Improved evasion, dark monk for incorp etc
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

7 monk-12 ranger-1 rogue/arti, a 10k stars bowman variation, there are tons of 10k stars builds in the forum, simply add 1 rogue/arti to trap
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...