Community Member

Default Third greensteel bow for ranged TR?

Opinions, please!

Have a Lit II, intend to make a triple Positive... am willing to farm up stuff to make a third bow for my mutt AA before TRing. Was coveting a pudding bow but not so fussed any more as I think the novelty will soon wear off. Ideas/suggestions?

I have not made a "Bow" ranged toon...

But my artificer likes his Triple Earth for Earth Grab...

Plus its a single shard...so really cheap.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

That's a nice idea, yes. I think it might be a bit mediocre at 12 as stuff dies pretty quick anyway then, but I can see that being handy around Vale time to pin stuff. Cheers!

Sell the larges, make displace/hjaste clickies ? Why do you need another bow ? It's not like you need any cc while levelling.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

I've got Displace/Haste clickies sorted already.

Just wondered if there was anything fun/useful I'd missed after those two all-purpose. CC can still be useful but yes, not as useful as at cap.

Just lit 2 is fine. Silver longbow, unwavering ardency, and bow of the silver flame are also good for leveling
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Community Member

Cheers. No Ardency here but the others are all sorted. Ok, I'll see if anything else comes up but just the Lit II and a triple Pos should do then it seems. Saves me running Vale qs for base item mats I guess.

Community Member

I made a 3x fire bow and use it more than I thought in FR.
    I have a Lit II too, but there are a lot of cases where mobs are immune to electric.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Pudding is soooo worth it. It's just all kinds of awesome fun with manyshot.
    Besides, other than lit 2 and triple pos there aren't any other green steel recipes that are good for bows.

The Lit II and Pos II are the good Greensteel damage bows, the others are only going to be for their utility effects.
    Earth II starts getting useful once paralyzing loses it's effectiveness, but loses it's effectiveness once you hit epic elites. It also gives you 2/day dense earth elemental summon, which is primarily useful at the lower level range of Greensteel.

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    I made a 3x fire bow and use it more than I thought in FR.
    I have a Lit II too, but there are a lot of cases where mobs are immune to electric.
    Fire II is one of the weaker Greensteel recipes even before you consider fire resistant and immune mobs. Even a Mineral II is going to be better damage.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

Hi,

If you're lazy about arrow management and have more GS mats than good sense, a Min 2 might be worth considering.

It's mainly useful for DR breaking and as a stoneskin clicky. However the cost in mats is fairly high and there are usually better options for damaging enemies with DR.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Community Member

Thanks all! So it's looking like Pudding or bust then... Heh, do I really want the novelty that much?

Puddings are pretty awesome. Run with a guy that has a two weapon fighter with one weapon sundering ooze - after a while has a trail of puddings following him around.

They can soak up some agro from new spawns - and they block in single monsters very well. Get a red named trapped against a wall with 6+ puddings who normally likes to run around/away constantly and throw things or cast spells - good times.

Their damage isnt fantastic - but its free. Like a squishy black oozing dot - or 2/3/4/5/6 squishy black oozing dots. And every hit on a pudding is a hit not going to the party.

Totally worth it.

Default Oozes are great

Remember their -5 AC debuff works on rednames and stacks with destruction.

I think if I built another archer I'd probably go PosIII and then see how far I could get without LitII just using crafting/named/lootgen...THEN craft LitII if I'm feeling luxurious. But this is coming from the perspective of having 20 characters, and that gets very ingredient-intensive just for accessories.

Pulling out Ooze ranged for manyshot or fusillade is just so satisfying, though; I recommend it highly.
    Character Compendium

Community Member

Pudding it is then, I'm sold.

Community Member

Just a warning to anyone passing by this thread:

If you craft your Pos III using the barter interface, make sure you read the crafting description fully for every step & shard, otherwise, like me, you may end up with a bow that is Triple Positive, but doesn't have the added Greater Disruption special effect on it.

Apparently there is a choice at one step to not apply the effect (thought god knows why anyone wouldn't want to) and I chose that one, assuming applying three Pos shards generated the effect at the end of the process. It doesn't. Take care.

Default Hm

Quote Originally Posted by slimkj View Post
    Just a warning to anyone passing by this thread:

If you craft your Pos III using the barter interface, make sure you read the crafting description fully for every step & shard, otherwise, like me, you may end up with a bow that is Triple Positive, but doesn't have the added Greater Disruption special effect on it.

Apparently there is a choice at one step to not apply the effect (thought god knows why anyone wouldn't want to) and I chose that one, assuming applying three Pos shards generated the effect at the end of the process. It doesn't. Take care.
    Using the Tihocan planner, I can't figure out how to replicate virtually where your crafting went wrong: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...amp_30&altar=3 but thanks for the warning.
    Character Compendium

It's in the alter of devistation. It lists 2 options for the last shard, did the same thing for my triple earth.
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

My main (Arcane Archer, third life) has pudding bow, and I absolutely love it! With manyshot and Improved precise shot it is... a bowl of pudding! I only use Lightning bow on devils.

For my bard I made a situational Mineral II bow with Insightful CON +2 as tier III. It is for mobs he does not want to approach too closely, especially Devashta.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"