Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shards/Seals: it's the right time

Most old epic items have become irrelevant, while most of the new items are much much better and unbound.
    This doesn't make sense, so unless Turbine has planned to "upgrade" our old epic items, I think it's the right time to make them tradeable.

There are, of course, a couple of options on how to approach this.

• Make seals & shards tradeable, so they can be sold in the regular AH with scrolls.
    • Offer a 3-1 turn in like the sands scrolls
    • Allow seals & shards to be sold in the Shard Exchange
    • Allow epic items (already crafted) to be sold in the Shard Exchange
    • Every 3 completions of a quest/raid, seals and shards specific to this quest/raid have a chance to appear in the end reward. Example: let's say you have the spectral gloves shard and you need the seal. You could run eOOB 3 times and have a decent shot at getting the seal you wanted.
    • Complete Overhaul of the "Epic crafting" system.
      Upgrade the old epic items and make them drop unbound in the end chests specific to a quest with different version depending on the difficulty.
      Example: The old epic items become Epic version that can be upgraded with 3 commendations to Epic Hard version that can be upgraded with 6 commendations to Epic Elite version. If you previously had an epic item, you could either upgrade it OR simply run the quest on EH or EE difficulty to have a chance to get it in the end chest.

What do you think? What would you like to see? Please, discuss.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

I agree they need to do something. Heck I wouldn't even mind a 5:1 turn in for seals and a 10:1 turn in for shards at this point.

Knowing Turbine they may use their new Shard Exchange system to open this up but man I can see it getting very, very expensive on the astral shards so might not be worth the hassle.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ironforge_Clan View Post
    I agree they need to do something. Heck I wouldn't even mind a 5:1 turn in for seals and a 10:1 turn in for shards at this point.

Knowing Turbine they may use their new Shard Exchange system to open this up but man I can see it getting very, very expensive on the astral shards so might not be worth the hassle.
    Haven't they already as long as the thing goes live? It was my understanding anything bound to account can be sold on it. However, unless they take off that finders fee, I won't be using it. While I fully support plat sink on the regular auction house, aside from the odd stacks of scrolls/wands/pots, from the things I see astral shards as being useful for and the fact that they require real money for most players to buy (I'm aware some get constant pulls in chests and have stacks, but I think most players don't) I really don't see the same need for a drain, or even an inherent fairness to it.

I still like some of the old gear. The new augment systems has made various pieces work better for me than some of the new stuff on occasion. Rare occasion, but still. I heart my epic utility vest with heavy fort for my artie for example and am constantly joining farm groups to try to help people get the antique greataxe stuff. Not everyone feels they are useless. But I think if they don't want to switch over to the new epic item drops mechanic, even as end rewards for Carnival and Sentinals like they are in EGH now, then for the love of sanity up the drop rate. Making it so much harder to find than new stuff isn't helpful.

It would also be a help to new players, opening up the ability to get the older stuff as 'starter gear' for later ee farming.

Just a few turtle thoughts while trapped at work.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

My crystal ball says ASAH soon (TM).

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Haven't they already as long as the thing goes live? It was my understanding anything bound to account can be sold on it.
    Only things that were BtCoE is my understanding. BtAoA and BtCoA are not able to
    be placed on the shard exchange (at this time).

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Only things that were BtCoE is my understanding. BtAoA and BtCoA are not able to
    be placed on the shard exchange (at this time).
    Aha! I see where I got lost, I misread the part about bound items that were btcoe being able to be sold after being bound on it. And apparently am not the only one from an unfortunately confused conversation I was part of in game. LOL Someone else brought it up to me and we were chatting about being able to sell some of this junk.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Again, signed a billion times.

Something needs to be done, especially since I know some of the older stuff is still liked, and the grind to get them (esp when running mostly solo) is unreasonable compared to the new items.

I also see this being opened up to the ASAH in the near future, but I would prefer to see more of what the OP is suggesting along side that, or at least before that is implemented.

I know you guys are busy, but it would be great if this could finally be done this year.
    Last edited by NytCrawlr; 03-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

[QUOTE=NytCrawlr;4940954]Again, signed a billion times.

Something needs to be done, especially since I know some of the older stuff is still liked, and the grind to get them (esp when running mostly solo) is unreasonable compared to the new items.

[QUOTE]

You got that right. I do 2 to 5 runs of a small problem a day with my partner. (not the same toon, ransack is not the issue here, I currently have 9 epic level toons I cycle through). And...in a week and a half, not ONE seal. Not even not the right one, but not one at all. headdesk. On the plus side, building up a lotta tokens for tr hearts.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

the old system is in desperate need of a revamp.

I have no intention of ever using the shard AH so that would be disappointing to see that as the only option.

I'd love to see Shards and Seals get completely unbound, but leave completed items Bound. (allow Shard exchange on completed items if ya want. dont care)

Adjust recipes so you only need 2 of the 3 components to complete the item.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

/signed

I think trade in system would be the way to go.
    After all Turbine loves dozens of different systems that got nothing to do with each other.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    You got that right. I do 2 to 5 runs of a small problem a day with my partner. (not the same toon, ransack is not the issue here, I currently have 9 epic level toons I cycle through). And...in a week and a half, not ONE seal. Not even not the right one, but not one at all. headdesk. On the plus side, building up a lotta tokens for tr hearts.
    If that's bad, don't ever think about desert stuff.

Heck I wouldn't even mind a 5:1 turn in for seals and a 10:1 turn in for shards at this point.
    Hmm I must have at least 1 or 2 of every desert seal, explorer/dq shards have always been a bigger problem.
    Ghallanda

Community Member

Not sure but it seems we already have a mechanism that gives a list of specific (Raid) rewards upon a 20th completion.

Why not use that same idea for Scrolls, Seals, and Shards?

20th - Base Item
    40th - Scrolls
    60th - Seals
    80th - Shards
    etc...

I'm casual enough that I've done eVON about 120 times, and really seen a SOS shard 3 times. I would like to think that at some point, the randomness ends and I can loot the shard my self (be it 80 runs, or 800 runs). A light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm strongly against relating epic ingredients to ASAH.
    If shards/seals could be traded on ASAH only, you can forget about anyone putting seals/shards up for roll for anything, at least remotely desirable, in PUGs again. From there on it would be either get very lucky, or pull out the CC.

I think the least upsetting solutions would be to:
    • give a random selection of seals/shards for every Nth end reward,
    • drastically increase drop rates to some difficulty and content appropriate double figured percent value, or
    • make them unbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine33 View Post
    Not sure but it seems we already have a mechanism that gives a list of specific (Raid) rewards upon a 20th completion.

Why not use that same idea for Scrolls, Seals, and Shards?

20th - Base Item
    40th - Scrolls
    60th - Seals
    80th - Shards
    etc...

I'm casual enough that I've done eVON about 120 times, and really seen a SOS shard 3 times. I would like to think that at some point, the randomness ends and I can loot the shard my self (be it 80 runs, or 800 runs). A light at the end of the tunnel.
    237 sans timer reset to get your shard? That is if you religiously ran it every three days. Too long imo. How about 10/20/30/40? Or, maybe 20/30/40/50? Either of those would be more resonable, especially since, most new epic is just trade in. No luck involved.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Or just do a little revamp to items and divide them among difficulty with en-eh-ee system. Gianthold system is pretty good!
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilia View Post
    Or just do a little revamp to items and divide them among difficulty with en-eh-ee system. Gianthold system is pretty good!
    Hmmm....

Heroic SoS + 1 of Shard/Seal/Scroll = EN SoS
    EN SoS + 1 of Shard/Seal/Scroll OR # Commodations = EH SoS
    EH SoS + 1 of Shard/Seal/Scroll OR # Commodations = EE SoS

EE SoS = Old Epic SoS
    EN/EH = Some reasonable steps between heroic and Epic verions

This would allow a immediate swap over to a more GH like system for Epic loot and would not devalue the partial ingredients, HSoS or completed ESoE that they might have from the old system.

You could probably do something along those lines for just about all the old Epic items to bring them into the new system, simplifying the system and improving playability for everyone while not hurting any player.

This makes TO much sense and to many people would like this sort of change for 'the powers that be' to look into this type of change. They are busy making pets and new AH that nobody asked for because it produces an income.

Seriously /signed as this is really the types of thing that should be updated when the loot game mechanics change. You tried it, it didnt work, you're trying something new.. make it consistent across the board or dont make the change to begin with, half changes are annoying, rip off the bandaid already, the slow pull process is just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzevel View Post
    This makes TO much sense and to many people would like this sort of change for 'the powers that be' to look into this type of change. They are busy making pets and new AH that nobody asked for because it produces an income.
    Oh they most definitely asked for a My Little Pony for Christmas and to be able to trade/sell bound gear. Many suggestions were made about how to do what the ASAH is going to do, like epic shards/seals and bound gear. ASAH is what Turbine came up with. Pets have been widely well received and profitable obviously as you cant go anywhere or be in a group without seeing a pet. They wouldnt sell a new pet every other week if it wasnt making money.

Old epic gear is becoming more and more outdated and less people wanting to grind for pieces to make an item epic. Players would once again want these items if the pieces or items were pre made and available to buy on the AH. They can make good enough for now until i get better gear. High player demand like this normally equates to Turbine finding a way to profit from it. Enter ASAH. Rare astral diamonds, loot people really really want equals profit for Turbine for getting what you want by buying rare currency. I call it in your face cash grab for your convenience that, once again, is way to shortcut the game and get bored later.

At this point I would rather see the items retrofitted to follow a Fall of Truth style upgrade process. Meaning there are EN/EH/EE versions. Scrolls can be used to do an EN upgrade. Seals can be used to do an EH upgrade. And Shards can do an EE upgrade.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • One loot system to rule them all. (Including Cannith Crafting, and Named Loot.)
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Adjusting Challenge XP so that they're worth running more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    At this point I would rather see the items retrofitted to follow a Fall of Truth style upgrade process. Meaning there are EN/EH/EE versions. Scrolls can be used to do an EN upgrade. Seals can be used to do an EH upgrade. And Shards can do an EE upgrade.
    The FOT upgrade system is great, but the use of shards/seals to upgrade it sucks unless they become unbound.

What needs to be done is 1. make shards/seals tradeable and 2. upgrade the epic items following the EN/EH/EE pattern, with old epic items becoming EN items, that can be upgraded to EH and then to EE versions with the use of commendations. EN, EH, EE should also drop fully crafted on the respective difficulties, BtCoE. Already crafted Epic Items should be kept bound.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast