Question did I miss something? (bound)

I haven't been (Cannith) crafting much lately. But tonight, I got a weapon with an augment slot on one character that would go well with another character. Disjuncted it, added crafted shards to it (bound shards) - and suddenly realized the weapon was bound to character!

When did that happen? I don't think the weapon was dropped as bound - I never got the 'bound' message popup. What made it become bound? Last time I checked, bound shards were bound to account, not character. Does it have to do with disjuncting an augmented item?
    Been playing off and on since Beta
    currently: *Weekly* DDO hours played: 6-10
    on Thelanis
    between 5 actively played characters

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrichton View Post
    I haven't been (Cannith) crafting much lately. But tonight, I got a weapon with an augment slot on one character that would go well with another character. Disjuncted it, added crafted shards to it (bound shards) - and suddenly realized the weapon was bound to character!

When did that happen? I don't think the weapon was dropped as bound - I never got the 'bound' message popup. What made it become bound? Last time I checked, bound shards were bound to account, not character. Does it have to do with disjuncting an augmented item?
    If you stop and look at what you wrote you'll realize that you've answered your own question.

You crafted it.

Only BTA base items remain BTA when crafted.

All other items whether BTC or unbound become BTC no matter which shards you use (Bound or Unbound), the only real difference is that Unbound shards can be traded/given to other accounts while Bound shards are BTA until added to an item.

Disjuncted it, added crafted shards to it (bound shards)
    You answered your question.
    Bound shards make items btc.

All Cannith items are BtC after you add shards. You should be able to remove the BtC by disjunking the item again.

From the wiki (though I dont know how accurate it is):
    Step 3: Combining Shard and Blank item

• Blank items are combined with shards to create the final item. Unbound blank items combined with bound shards become Bound to Character On Acquire; unbound blanks combined with unbound shards become Bound to Character On Equip (so the crafted item can still be sold/traded before being equipped).
    • Bound to Account blank items' bind status remain the same if combined with bound or unbound shards. See BtA base items to find out where to get these kind of items
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

If you want to use the item on another toon, you have to pass the shards to that toon. There is no skill required to use existing shards, only to craft them. So you can pass level 150 shards to a toon with a lowly 1 in crafting and he can still make the item.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

It happened roughly at the same time as they introduced Cannith Crafting. That's why you pass your bound shards to the character you want to put the item on and let him do the final crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    If you want to use the item on another toon, you have to pass the shards to that toon. There is no skill required to use existing shards, only to craft them. So you can pass level 150 shards to a toon with a lowly 1 in crafting and he can still make the item.
    Yes - this is right - and my own brain**** fault . . . (sigh) - ah well . . .
    Been playing off and on since Beta
    currently: *Weekly* DDO hours played: 6-10
    on Thelanis
    between 5 actively played characters

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    If you stop and look at what you wrote you'll realize that you've answered your own question.

You crafted it.

Only BTA base items remain BTA when crafted.

All other items whether BTC or unbound become BTC no matter which shards you use (Bound or Unbound), the only real difference is that Unbound shards can be traded/given to other accounts while Bound shards are BTA until added to an item.
    actually if you add unbound shard to unbound item the item will become bound on equip, so you could still sell it (unless you add bound shard), much like GS items that could be traded untill you equip them (but in GS when you add effect the item become bound anyway)

Sharp sword, short temper, any questions?
    I'm The Doctor so basically.. Run!

To add something useful to what others have posted....

Bound shards are bound to account, not character.
    You don't need to be a crafter to craft shards on to weapons.
    Once you craft a shard to a weapon, that weapon is bound to the character that crafted the shard on to the weapon.

So... craft shards, put them in shared bank, log in the target character, craft the shards on to the weapon using the character the weapon is intended for and all will be right with the world