Community Member

Default Artificer Caster Gear

I have a level 19 Artificer, and it is a lot of fun. I am having trouble finding good caster gear though. I am mostly force spec'd (7/1/1), with a single point in damage for every other line. I have the blue dragonscale for the 9% crit boost, but it only has a 52 potency option. I have a crafted Impulse 66 ring, and put a 78 Impulse augment on a crafted true chaos of construct bane repeater. If I could equip a scepter, it would easily be 90/114 with random loot, and there are a number of quarterstaffs that would be useful for a non-repeater user. Are there any good options for non mainhand/offhand impulse items?

When you get to 20, I would look into a holy symbol of lolth. It is a pretty easy farm, and is a much better option.

It does have a min level of 21, but 20->21 is quick.

it has implement +15, impulse (for rune arm and BB) +102. A total of +117 in the trinket slot is nice...

J

Impulse Helm

Community Member

Good ideas, the trinket will be tough because I have grown fond of the sustaining symbiant, helm is kind of tough too because I have minos slotted, but I could get heavy fort from a yellow slot or white scale and just lose the hit points.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Impulse on random lootgen can be found on helms and rings.

The link in my sig is to a casting focused arti. You can find a full gear setup there as well as a full build breakdown.

You don't really need a single point in all the elements (if WF I would keep one point in recon though). When a spell has multiple damage types, enhancements in one of those types will affect all of the damage types offered by the spell. So for your primary offensive spells (blade barrier, tactical detonation, prismatic strike), the force line (since they all do force damage) will affect all damage types. For your rune arms, I would either go full force (7/6/6) or pick one elemental type and go 7/1/1 in both force and whatever element you choose. Currently Corruption of Nature is the highest dps rune arm, which is acid damage. Also, some of the rune arms become less effective depending on which content you are running.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I know you didn't want mainhand items, but allow me to suggest the following:

An Alchemical heavy repeater made of Crystal, all tiers mystical, with the following elements: Air, Air, Fire.

This will give you the following effects:
    • Magnetism +90,
    • Impulse +90,
    • Air Guard
    • Superior Lightning Lore,
    • Greater Spark (+20) 3x charges,
    • Superior Superior Kinetic Lore
    • Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II,
    • Greater Evocation Focus,
    • Arcane Augmentation IX

It's not an impressive repeater but, as a spell casting implement, your Blade Barriers, Prismatic Strikes and Tactical Detonations will thank you.

If you can get a Resonance/Sonic Lore item on top of that, your Prismatic Strikes will stun more things than you'd have imagined possible (I crafted a Major Sonic Lore shard onto my Toven's hammer.

Which leads me to other suggestions. Any +5 craftable rune arm will allow for a Major Lore shard, improving your criticals is always nice.

Invest in your electrical spell power and criticals too. Draconic Incarnation's Energy Burst is one of the Epic Destinies' best spells, and the only element that makes sense for an Artificer is Electrical.

I am only now just beginning to look into the potential of the new Augment crystals, but they are intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I know you didn't want mainhand items, but allow me to suggest the following:

An Alchemical heavy repeater made of Crystal, all tiers mystical, with the following elements: Air, Air, Fire.

This will give you the following effects:
    • Magnetism +90,
    • Impulse +90,
    • Air Guard
    • Superior Lightning Lore,
    • Greater Spark (+20) 3x charges,
    • Superior Superior Kinetic Lore
    • Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II,
    • Greater Evocation Focus,
    • Arcane Augmentation IX

It's not an impressive repeater but, as a spell casting implement, your Blade Barriers, Prismatic Strikes and Tactical Detonations will thank you.

If you can get a Resonance/Sonic Lore item on top of that, your Prismatic Strikes will stun more things than you'd have imagined possible (I crafted a Major Sonic Lore shard onto my Toven's hammer.
    I'm not sure why you would do all of this tbh. That is a huge sacrifice to ranged dps for very little gain. Most of those effects are available in other gear slots and don't require sacrificing your repeater.

First off, you would only need magnetism for Toven's, as no high level arti spell does electric damage. Toven's is great if you slap a masterful craftsmanship on it and start to use it at level 17, but quickly becomes obsolete as you get into epic content (any EE, most EH, all MotU and EGH) because of insanely high mob reflex saves. So it's not really worth it for the few levels that you would use Toven's. And if you really wanted to spec for electric, you'd be better off using the Epic Bracers of Wind. They are much less of a grind than an alchemical and you don't give up your repeater. You still end up with magnetism90 and superior lightning lore (along with air guard, permablur, dodge3%, and two slots).

Kinetic lore does not affect blade barrier, which is an arti's primary dps spell. While blade barrier is affected by impulse, the only lore that affects it is arcane lore. Laceration lore (formerly found on alchemical weapons) used to affect blade barrier, but laceration lore was changed to kinetic lore and can no longer be found in the game. Now that major arcane lore is available on Flawless Blue Dragon Armor, superior kinetic lore only offers 3% more crits for tactical detonation and prismatic strike. Tactical detonation and prismatic strike are better suited for crowd control so there is little point in boosting their crit profile. Again, very little gain for the sacrifice of the repeater.

It's easy to get close to 90 potency so the impulse isn't doing much for you either. Maximize II isn't really necessary. If you invest in your sp and manage it, it is hard to burn through all your sp as an arti. Evocation focus is also available in many other slots. So pretty much the only thing you lose out on is arcane augmentation IX, which I admit is nice, but not worth sacrificing all of your ranged dps.

I'm not sure what you would use resonance for. Only prismatic strike does sonic damage. Boosting the damage on prismatic strike will not cause the stuns to land more effectively, those are based on DC only. When a spell has multiple damage types, boosting one of those damage types will affect all of them. Force is the obvious choice for an arti since it affects all three of their primary offensive spells: blade barrier, tactical detonation, and prismatic strike. So investing in force will also boost the other damage types in tactical detonation (fire) and prismatic strike (fire and sonic).

Which leads me to other suggestions. Any +5 craftable rune arm will allow for a Major Lore shard, improving your criticals is always nice.

Invest in your electrical spell power and criticals too. Draconic Incarnation's Energy Burst is one of the Epic Destinies' best spells, and the only element that makes sense for an Artificer is Electrical.
    Acid is actually the better element to invest in. As mentioned above, Toven's quickly becomes obsolete as you move into epic content and no high level arti spell does electric damage. Corruption of Nature is currently the highest dps rune arm, which does acid damage. Major arcane lore on the Blue Dragon Armor pretty much covers your lore needs. But if you really wanted to boost your acid damage further, the Epic Rock Boots provide superior acid lore. Acid specked in Draconic Incarnation while using Corruption of Nature and energy burst is currently the best nuking potential for an arti.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

You know, you may be correct about everything you've stated. Mine actually has Earth as the second tier (I get my superior lightening lore from the Darkstorm Helm), but that hasn't made any acid arm more enjoyable for me.

I'll admit that I actually made a mistake with that repeater and thought it a write off. However, while grinding for new binding shards, I had accumulated enough spirits to complete the thing long before I got enough binding shards (still don't have enough to start over).
    Even then, I thought it was a write-off. Until I stopped thinking of is as a repeater and began using it as a casting implement. Then, I became impressed with my knock downs and stuns and effectiveness of my main offensive spells.
    I switch back to a mob-appropriate repeater when I'm primarily shooting (which is less and less now).

There might even be a sceptre or other common casting implement that would make my BBs more powerful. But it wouldn't double as a repeater, and it wouldn't provide all of what that repeater does. Any fancy thaumaturgy staff would remove my rune arm.

I know I've only been using a lvl 25 Artificer for the last four or five months for farming epics, and I months of the pre-ED epics have no bearing, so I'm sure you're right about Toven's hammer being obsolete.

Only, it seems that until EGH made those rune arms almost relevant, I've been using Toven's Hammer and the Archaic Device pretty much exclusively. They get through almost all DR in the game. (And I really think the Archaic Device's potency was more useful, at least for my set-up before the change to spell power.)

When moving through my destinies, it became my goal to twist Energy Burst and also to move to more casting than any of the rogue-like skills.

To that end, I invested as far as I could in Force and Electrical damages/criticals. I pretty much ignored the other damage types. Now, I use electrical energy bursts, and stay out of Draconic.

Toven's Hammer has Transform Kinetic Energy and I also wear ConOpp bracers. +2 Insightful Intelligence hasn't caused me any pain. Lightening Strike finishes off a lot of mobs. I have nearly maxed my electrical spell power, and reflex saves only saves half damage; I can't say that it makes me feel the Hammer is impotent. I'll admit seeing it evaded irks me.
    The three sets of numbers I usually see floating over my target's head after firing Toven's is usually pretty good compared to any other arm I've fired, and it's generally more reliable.

Perhaps that's why I find Toven's to be still relevant. All I know is that it does good damage and the only issue I have with it is a tendency for shots to be a bit low to the ground.

Boosting the Lore on sonic will cause more criticals, I didn't say resonance did. But I throw a lot of Strikes, and my toon is a first lifer, so most of my gear is aimed at letting him survive.
    As I don't have any use for the acid arms at Epic levels, I really can't see any reason to invest in Corrosion, while Resonance is still useful on some item for whenever I don't have the casting repeater or rune arm equipped.

After putting a Major Sonic Lore shard on my Toven's (and I only did this within a week), I find that I am often stunning Giants in EH Tor. That's after seeing no stuns at that level since EGH came out.
    Are you telling me that only one Lore type will affect the Prismatic Strike?
    It's interesting that the Superior Kinetic Lore wasn't causing my Strikes to stun half as much as they do now.

As for BB being my biggest DPS? Sometimes. But not even half the time my Artie fights from orbit. When I get to fight my way, they die before they get close enough for a BB to be usefull, or I lay out BBs and make mobs walk though multiples to get to me.
    I usually don't fight in close, but when I do, there is absolutely no point in dropping a BB where every FvS and Cleric is already spamming them. Never cross the streams.
    Arties are ranged, and I always move off to an angle and keep well away from the main action whenever I can.

In most combat I'll fire a fully charged rune arm, then I'll use an appropriate repeater with Endless Fusilade, while the rune arm recharges. At the end of the fusilade I fire the arm, switch to the casting implement and usually cycle through a Tactical Detonation, Prismatic Strike followed by a Lightening Sphere or Lightening Motes (depends on range), by which point I'm ready to throw another Tactical Detonation and fire/recycle the rune arm... I'll repeat the spell slinging cycle until I'm ready for another fusilade, again with a mob appropriate weapon.
    Sometimes, when bumping into mobs along the way, I can't have a charged rune arm, so I start with the Tactical Detonation.
    Whenever possible/necessary, I do use the BBs. But they aren't universally the best tactic or use of SP. Some raids like LoB even make BB inappropriate.
    And at levels where it takes a lot of DPS to kill things, BB is great for contributing, but the stun or knock down from Prismatic Strikes and Tactical Dets are slightly more useful to me, a guy who doesn't like mobs getting "all up in my grill."

Yes, lightening Sphere is low level, I guess that makes it worthless, but is still hits for more than any repeater would in the same time frame. Same goes for Lightening Motes, I suppose (lvl 4 out of 6 lvls is low? maybe), and the 15% vulnerability to electrical damage probably does nothing at all for my "irrelevant" Toven's Hammer.

All of the above spells have Maximise always on. Efficient Maximise II has small returns, but my Artie has no Sorc past life.

Preferably, I use doors for choke points. As all maps seem to be designed to leave you with no defensible positions that means doors, as choke points, are an Artificer's best friend. Even long after you can't block them with Turrets.

The Archaic Device's main problem is the same as the acid shot type rune arms, the spread.
    Spreading shot is not too useful in a choke point, narrow passage or large area with many obstructions and this is my biggest issue with acid rune arms. More damage isn't more damage when half the shot is lost.
    (In fact, the Glass Cannon is probably the new arm for shooting fish in barrels when electrical doesn't work.)

Toven's aims real straight when you know how.
    And... considering that I have offensive electrical spells that can fit through a doorway, I think Lighting Lore and the related enhancements to be great.

I'm sure I don't have much knowledge about end game, but it seems to me that at Epic levels even my Epic Silver Slinger (with a base damage of 28 with DW), being used on Undead, is **** DPS compared to what most melees have.
    I have come to accept that at Epic levels, heck, most levels after 16, their best use is to contribute to the overall DPS and perhaps finish off what my spells have left weak enough.

If you don't have Greater Evocation Focus as an Artie, it's nice to have. Especially if you never took the lesser Evocation foci.
    Arcane Augmentation IX? Well, some people do try to use every reasonable useful spell at their disposal, even if it's no longer optimal.

TL/DR
    They're all great effects to have in one place when you can't find enough space for even half.
    It's a Casting Implement first, accidentally a repeater.
    I apparently use more electrical spells than you do.
    In most matters of opinion, mine differ from yours based on personal set-up, play style and overall experience. That's variety for you.

First off, let me say a lot of my comments are based on endgame. So if that's not the content you primarily play, then you can afford to be much more creative and flexible with your build and gear.

I view the artificer as a caster that is not reliant on the blue bar. Artificers are extremely versatile, survivable, and capable of some very decent damage. They can't match a sorc for damage but, then again, no one can. To maintain that damage though requires use of all of the arti's abilities: repeater, rune arm, buffs, and offensive spells. IMO neglecting any of those limits the arti's potential. The build in my sig is played very much as a caster, but I don't neglect the repeater either.

Even then, I thought it was a write-off. Until I stopped thinking of is as a repeater and began using it as a casting implement. Then, I became impressed with my knock downs and stuns and effectiveness of my main offensive spells.
    The only part of the alchemical repeater that would affect the knock downs and stuns is the greater evocation focus, which is available in many other slots. The knock downs and stuns are based on spell DC, it has nothing to do with either the damage or crit profile. Here are wiki links to tactical detonation and prismatic strike. I'll quote from prismatic strike to illustrate:

Some possible effects of the spray:

Sonic damage and knocks the target prone(trips them). Fortitude save.
    Force damage and dazes the target. Reflex save.
    Fire damage and reduces melee and ranged damage by ??%. Will save.
    The knock down, daze, and damage reduction are each based on a save and has nothing to do with damage.

Toven's Hammer has Transform Kinetic Energy and I also wear ConOpp bracers. +2 Insightful Intelligence hasn't caused me any pain. Lightening Strike finishes off a lot of mobs. I have nearly maxed my electrical spell power, and reflex saves only saves half damage; I can't say that it makes me feel the Hammer is impotent. I'll admit seeing it evaded irks me.
    The three sets of numbers I usually see floating over my target's head after firing Toven's is usually pretty good compared to any other arm I've fired, and it's generally more reliable.

Perhaps that's why I find Toven's to be still relevant. All I know is that it does good damage and the only issue I have with it is a tendency for shots to be a bit low to the ground.
    When the level cap was 20 Toven's was the best rune arm, and still is for those levels. So if that's what you play, then stick with it. I would, however, suggest to take a look at the Epic Bracers of Wind and try to get your repeater back.

Boosting the Lore on sonic will cause more criticals, I didn't say resonance did.
    This is where you mentioned resonance:

This comment seems to imply that a resonance item will boost your ability to land stuns with prismatic strike. I made 2 points regarding this comment: 1) boosting either the spell power or crit profile will not affect the stun capability since the stun is based on DC, not damage (see my comment above with the wiki quote), and 2) by having impulse90, you are already boosting all 3 of the damage types of prismatic strike. So a resonance90 item, for example, will add nothing to it. AFAIK this works for spell power but not for crit profile, though I could be wrong about it not working the same way for crit profile.

As I don't have any use for the acid arms at Epic levels, I really can't see any reason to invest in Corrosion
    I am specifically referring to the epic versions of Corruption of Nature, not the heroic versions. The epic hard version has 108 corrosion built into it. With that and investing 7/1/1 in acid, it is currently the highest dps rune arm in the game.

After putting a Major Sonic Lore shard on my Toven's (and I only did this within a week), I find that I am often stunning Giants in EH Tor. That's after seeing no stuns at that level since EGH came out.
    Again, boosting the crit profile will have no effect on the ability to land stuns, those are DC based.

Are you telling me that only one Lore type will affect the Prismatic Strike?
    It's interesting that the Superior Kinetic Lore wasn't causing my Strikes to stun half as much as they do now.
    No. From what I understand lore only affects the crit profile of that one damage type. But for spells that have more than one damage type, boosting the spell power of one of those damage types will boost them all. For example: Prismatic strike does force, fire, and sonic damage. So having an impulse90 item and force manipulation7 (artificer enhancement to boost force spell power) would provide you with 190 spell power for all three of force, fire, and sonic damage when using prismatic strike. You don't have to invest in fire or sonic since they won't stack with the already invested force spell power. I originally made this point as a way of saying that you don't need to invest in resonance if you've already invested in impulse.

As for BB being my biggest DPS? Sometimes. But not even half the time my Artie fights from orbit. When I get to fight my way, they die before they get close enough for a BB to be usefull, or I lay out BBs and make mobs walk though multiples to get to me.
    I usually don't fight in close, but when I do, there is absolutely no point in dropping a BB where every FvS and Cleric is already spamming them. Never cross the streams.
    Arties are ranged, and I always move off to an angle and keep well away from the main action whenever I can.
    The benefit of blade barrier is that it is a persistent AoE spell. Tactical detonation and prismatic strike only land once on a mob. Blade barrier stays there and continues to do damage as long as you continue to kite them through it. That is why it is the arti's best dps spell. It does the most damage over time and is the most sp efficient. As far as divines spamming it, don't forget that they do not get enhancements to boost force spell power. So as long as you have invested at least 7/1/1 in the force line, your blade barriers will be doing considerably more damage than theirs. Yes, don't cross the streams, but lay yours down before they do because yours do more damage.

Yes, lightening Sphere is low level, I guess that makes it worthless, but is still hits for more than any repeater would in the same time frame. Same goes for Lightening Motes, I suppose (lvl 4 out of 6 lvls is low? maybe), and the 15% vulnerability to electrical damage probably does nothing at all for my "irrelevant" Toven's Hammer.
    Lightning sphere caps out at level 10 doing 5d4+20 damage. If you don't have heighten then they are most likely going to save against it, which means half damage and negates the stun portion. It is not very efficient for either damage or crowd control. Blade barrier is better damage. Tactical detonation is better AoE crowd control. Prismatic strike is better single target crowd control.

Lightning motes is great to throw on bosses when arcanes are stacking eledar's on it. And I agree, it is also useful if you're still using Toven's.

I'm sure I don't have much knowledge about end game, but it seems to me that at Epic levels even my Epic Silver Slinger (with a base damage of 28 with DW), being used on Undead, is **** DPS compared to what most melees have.
    I have come to accept that at Epic levels, heck, most levels after 16, their best use is to contribute to the overall DPS and perhaps finish off what my spells have left weak enough.
    Ranged damage is still a big part of the arti's arsenal at higher levels. I admit it is not their biggest, but it is a big part of their overall potential. If you've farmed out enough mats for an alchemical repeater, then you most likely have farmed out plenty of Shroud ings as well. A lit2 GS repeater is excellent for dps (the lightning strike from GS stacks with the lightning strike on Toven's btw). A triple positive GS is also very good and much cheaper.

They're all great effects to have in one place when you can't find enough space for even half.
    It's a Casting Implement first, accidentally a repeater.
    I apparently use more electrical spells than you do.
    In most matters of opinion, mine differ from yours based on personal set-up, play style and overall experience. That's variety for you.
    As I mentioned, I do see the artificer very much as a caster, but the repeater can be a significant contribution as well. This is all just my opinion and geared towards endgame, so take it however you want. I'm just trying to be helpful.

This is very much an end-game option that requires a fair amount of grinding, but something to seriously consider:

Step 1: Get a Needle repeater from Caught in the Web (People aren't running this as much, but I still see regular pugs, and nobody but other Artis are usually interested in the weapon when it drops, so you can usually get it in a few runs).
    Step 2: Collect 25 heroic commendations. (I know, I know... But heroic commendation drop rates of 1-2 guaranteed on EH Fall of Truth make this a lot easier than you'd think).
    Step 3: Upgrade Needle all the way to the red augment slot.
    Step 4: Slot in a 114 force augment.
    Step 5: Boom.

Keep in mind that slotting in the force gem also turns your +8 weapon into an implement. Combine this with a set of flawless blue dragon armor (fully upgraded to Major Arcane Lore if you feel up for getting another 15 heroic commendations; otherwise the base Greater Arcane Lore is fine) paired with a Blue Dragon Helm (for another 15 spell power) and a Planar Conflux of Erudition (for ANOTHER 15 spell power) and you've got a very respectable casting capability while using one of the best DPS crossbows in the game.
    Last edited by dejafu; 03-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Community Member

Yeah the red augment slot on an epic weapon seems to be the best bet. I have been looking for random lootgen stuff with a red slot for cannith crafting to tide me over until I get something like the needle. Not really looking forward to the epic item grind though. I have a couple of Cormyrian repeaters that at least have the same base damage and some interesting effects as well.

As far as the enhancements go, I went 7/1/1 force rather than fully maxing the crit multiplier/chance lines because the artificer has so many things that are worth taking as well such as the rune arm enhancements, repeater damage, plus as a human I pair my versatility damage boost with endless fusillade, plus a few points in wand/scroll mastery, UMD, and improved recovery for self healing. I agree with the comment about taking advantage of all of the options available rather than being just focused on ranged, or spell damage.

I swap rune arms from time to time, so a single action point in each element netting 40% boost to damage is a great return on investment for using other RAs like glorious obscenity.

Community Member

Finally found an AML: 20 repeater with a red slot, put impulse 90 on it, and with battle engineer it gets a 21 implement to it. The cannith crafted weapon is nothing exciting, but it does boost my rune arm damage a bit. And I picked up the Elfcrafted mitheral breastplate for a 72 potency (light armor to try out shadowdancer). Respec'd enhancements for 7/1/1 force, and 7/1/1 acid since I have been getting some use out of Glorious Obscenity (+6 seeker is nice). So the next weapon I augment will probably get corrosion.