Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Is blocking even worth doing? [shift] key

So forum, is there any point in blocking – you know, via the [shift] key – at all? If there is, is there any particular technique to use? I have been trying to bring the shield up when I see that the opponent is about to strike; with mixed success. It seems like when I just attack, attack, attack without doing any blocking, the foe goes down quicker and I suffer about the same damage. Obviously, I could simply just be doing it wrong. But I was wondering if there is some ‘trick’ to it? What do other people do? I was told by an experienced player in chat – when I first started – that tumbling was not worthwhile as a defense against missile weapons; and I believed it for a while. But I have gotten quite good at hitting tumble at just the right time to hear the missile sail past my left or right ear. So I was wondering if blocking was a similar technique that could be effectively used ‘up close.’

The only time I really utilize Block is while tripped or otherwise knocked down. It helps to mitigate some of the damage till my character can get back up.

I thought as of the last update or a recent one block stopped knockdown effects and being tossed by air ele's

Maybe I was imagining that

Scratt for president!!!!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

In your average combat, blocking isn't worth while unless you have designed yourself to be an intimitank.

Other wise you block to be able to tumble (faster in knee high water, than walking), or during other times as people have mentioned above.

I also block if I was busy kiting something and I need to stop moving to let the group regain agro. It lessens the damage I suck.

Blocking also means special effects won't happen to you. AA death arrows? Yeah, useless if you are blocking.

I rebound my block key away from shift to make it easier to block.

My evoker and offensive caster cleric block pretty much all the time they aren't actually casting. No reason to take extra damage just standing around.

My melees only block when they're taking ranged damage and can't attack for some reason.

Community Member

Shift is my go-to key every time I get tripped, feared, nauseated or the like and can't, or don't want to avoid attacks manually. Tripped is the big one here as there is little else you can do. That said I generally don't equip a shield to do so, as one isn't needed to block. The conditions generally just don't last long enough to make the gear switch worthwhile.

While there are times when pulling out a shield is worthwhile, like in Shroud part 2 where several mobs have to die at close to the same time. Once one gets close, you can let it beat on your shield till they are all ready to go down.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I thought as of the last update or a recent one block stopped knockdown effects and being tossed by air ele's

Maybe I was imagining that
    It does stop the Web line Trip effect from Driders, but timing it can be...tricky, especially if you have any sort of latency (read: most of us).

As for blocking in general use, it really depends on difficulty.

Turtling up on EN or EH can be quite effective at reducing damage a bit. It won't suddenly make you take no damage, but over time the bits it does reduce can all add up.

It also depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Have things gone a bit pear shaped and a couple of the party are staring at their soul stones?

Now might be good time to get the attention of that nasty big guy, throw on a shield and shield block while the divines work on getting people up again.

The other thing to think about shields is that with the right Feats you can get more Doublestrike. This can be particularly useful for classes like Druids who get no DPS benefits from a second weapon while shape shifted into an animal form but can benefit from more Doublestrike.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

http://ddowiki.com/page/Active_blocking

In theory, you can time active blocking to prevent incoming special attacks from proccing without reducing your DPS too much. In practice, I find either my reflexes or my net connection is too slow and it never works for me, so I just keep swinging.

History lesson: in the old days, it was possible to "Intimi-turtle:" i.e., hit Intim then turtle up (shield-block) while mobs hit you until Intim wears off - rinse, repeat. [Always struck me as a really boring tactic, but hey, to each their own.] Nowadays, though, the cooldown on Intim is 15 secs. while the effect only lasts 12 secs. (w/shield); Intim also functions as a temporary threat bonus, so Intimiturtling is no longer a viable tactic. Plus since then Turbine has greatly improved both the DPS & threat bonuses for S&B tanks.

Agreed with the above points.

Slightly on track, I've sometimes seen players slide around in blocking stance- is this some kind of lag where my client doesn't recognise actual events, or something else?
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post

Slightly on track, I've sometimes seen players slide around in blocking stance- is this some kind of lag where my client doesn't recognise actual events, or something else?
    It's just a graphical bug to the best of my knowledge. Tumbling fixes it.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post

Some sort of "state" packet is lost (data is UDP sent) so until it gets resent (aka they tumble or jump) they are stuck doing a sliding block on your client. Not much can be done about it.

Always looks funny.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

If you're blocking, then you're not swinging your weapon and you're not casting.

If you have some effect that allows you to take out your opponent(s) without casting new spells at them and without swinging your weapon, then it's entirely possible that blocking can be a good idea.

If you have Damage Over Time spells (Niacs, Eldars, Wall of Fire, Acid Fog, Ice Storm, etc) on your opponent and those spells are going to kill the opponent, then blocking works just fine. Even with DOT spells, however, I prefer to run around in circles to avoid hits instead of standing there and taking them. If your opponent(s) are going to hit you even if you do kite them, then blocking will work better than kiting.

On blocking from a Tank Build perspective:

It comes down to timing and understanding your enemies attacks. Effective blocking can reduce Secondary Effects (Poison, Mournlode, etc.)

From my experience shift block is needed in a few places

• When knocked down - Even without a shield blocking while your on the ground can help prevent Coup de gras death
    • When dealing with Poison and Web and Air Knock down Type Attacks - Scorpions, Spiders (Drow), Air Elementals - Rule If you can kill it before it finishes the attack, then attack otherwise blocking will be more valuable
    • Most useful for Tanking purposes where the HP of a Boss require time to whittle down - Use this to avoid powerful attacks, think attacks from boss with windups.
    • Drinking Potions while Tanking - Your trying to recover no need to give them a free shot
    • When taking a Breath attack to the face. When you see it coming and can't do anything about it

It does take timing, but even if your client lags a little bit you can start to see signals that indicate that stinger is coming.
    Last edited by Enoach; 03-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Community Member evilgardengnome's Avatar

I keep a Light and Darkness on my arcanes. I block while standing in a pesistant AOE usually with web and nuking. I also wear a conc-op item and a torc. The regen of sp well outways the damage that passes DR.

*note- I play as warforged and don't play alot of EE endgame. Your results may vary.

IF you are doing quests with group that has dedicated tank and he takes all aggro then you should shield block if you get the aggro and let the tank get aggro,usually in raids,was pretty important before when everything was easier with tanks.

I never bothered to block much (except when knocked down)....

However, when fighting the Giant in Epic Tor in the black dragon (acid) room, you can block everytime he starts to stomp, and you won't get thrown across the room.

Also in Fall of Truth, you can block everytime the Truthful One starts to stomp or swing his tail and you can keep from getting knocked down or knocked back...

Very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I never bothered to block much (except when knocked down)....

However, when fighting the Giant in Epic Tor in the black dragon (acid) room, you can block everytime he starts to stomp, and you won't get thrown across the room.

Also in Fall of Truth, you can block everytime the Truthful One starts to stomp or swing his tail and you can keep from getting knocked down or knocked back...

Very useful.
    Good to know Thrudh, wasn't aware of the giant and Truthful One bit. Any idea if a shield is needed? Or simply blocking? (Just out of curiosity).

Doesn't it block Disintegrate and things like badges from Horoth as well?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Shield blocking stole my bike.

Before EDs (or for an at-level elite), it was useful for the Horoth tank to block while the party was fighting Suulo. With the shield that procs Heal or a high DR shield, it can reduce the amount of healing required to keep the tank up and help rations the healers' sp.

Post-ED, this doesn't really matter, but is still worth noting in case new content has similar situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    He can, he just thinks Elminster is a tool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast