Thread: The Drug

Default The Drug

The Drug

Theory-build Influenced by the Juggernaut

(Human Druid 17 - Monk 2 – Ranger 1)

This is not a complete build but it will be soon I hope.
    Never played a ranged toon so I could use some help here.

This is a build will be a Water Elemental with very good survivability, AOE spells like Ice Storm, Sleet Storm and Earthquake, dotting and a few buffs also. So picture this for example Ice Storm, Earthquake, dot, Manyshot then Melee while healing a little to.

Pre:

Well I wanted to make a build I could have fun leveling all ED´s so I made a TWF Khopesh wielding melee druid with 2 monk levels and 1 fighter level and that was very fun to level up to 20.

At level 20 I tried out the Stout Oak Walking Stick and with Shillelagh acting as a deadly weapon buff and I could twist A Dance With Flowers making the stick a really nice weapon. The stick is making my TWF feats not necessary unless I need to break silver or cold iron DR which I have few sets of GEOB´s for.

As I am a huge fan of the Juggernaut build by Lurzifer I started to think that it is possible to LR +1 exchange the Fighter level for 1 level of Ranger and take a few ranged feats and drop TWF feats and the Khopesh feat.

Starting stats:
    (36 pt build pl Paladin and Fighter)

Strength 16 (+5 tome) level ups here
    Dexterity 14 (+3 tome)
    Constitution 16 (+4 tome)
    Intelligence 8 (+3 tome)
    Wisdom 16 (+4 tome)
    Charisma 8 (+3 tome)

Feats:

Ranger: Bow Strength
    Toughness
    Power Attack
    Cleave
    Maximize
    Great Cleave
    Improved Critical
    Point Blank Shot
    Rapid Shot
    Manyshot
    Quicken
    Overwhelming Critical
    Empower Healing (optional)

Weapons:

Ideally this is a build around Shireth and Pinion which sadly I do not have.

I have Bow of Sinew and Bow of the Silverflame and thinking of farming Elemental Longbow of Earth until Pinion drops for me (any suggestions are welcome on what to use until Pinion).

What to do for DR breakers: MinII longbow maybe…

Gear:

Here is what I am using now:

Helm: Alchemist's Crown (just for the devotion)
    Goggles: GS Con OP 35 HP + Wizardry VI
    Necklace: Torc
    Trinket: Epic Blasting Chime + a lot of things
    Cloak: Epic Envenomed Cloak
    Belt: Colethenis's Belt
    Ring 1: Ring of the Ravager
    Ring 2: Epic Ring of the Stalker
    Gloves: Epic Charged Gauntlets
    Bracers: Sun Soul
    Armor: Epic Frozen Tunic
    Boots: Epic Boots of Corrosion
    Weapon: Stout Oak Walking Stick

Future:

Thinking of the flawless Bluescale set to start with any suggestions welcome.

My toon is specced as a Seasons Herald now but want to try out Nature´s Warrior when I do the LR esp. For Fatal Harrier but it is built around being a water elemental so I do not know if it is worth it!

ED´s: This build is about having fun in them all but I suspect LD with A Dance of Flowers, Energy Burst and Endless Faith twisted might be overall best but I am looking forward to test it all ☺

Please tell me if this is even possible to build?
    Last edited by Purkilius; 03-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

If you took 2monk/1Ranger as a splash instead of 2/2, you could keep access to 9th level spells. You'd need to buy rapid shot in addition to the feats in your list with this choice.

What spell(s) is maximise intended for? On a str build, you won't be landing much that needs dc. I could see this being taken for greater creeping cold, but I'd weigh up whether its worth the feat slot. On a cleric version of this build (17C/2M/1R) divine punishment is good enough to warrant maximise, but too many mobs are cold immune imo to do the same with the druid version.

I'm assuming your build is Helf, but its not specified. HOrc would work well I think, as they get better power attack and +4 2H weapon damage with enhancements, plus the extra 4 str equates to an additional 3 damage per hit with 2H weapons.

Stout walking stick is a nice weapon, but I wouldn't base an entire build around it. Sireth shows as steel, so I'm not sure that shillelagh will even work with it.

Energy burst dc's are going to be very low with your stats - it runs off Int or Cha. On my juggernaut build (which has 3 sorc PLs for +3 evoc dc), the main thing that stops me from twisting in energy burst is that they'll be cast at around 44 DC which may not be enough in my view. Having said that, I'm thinking of testing it out to see just how effective it might be in eGH content. I'm not hopeful for anything beyond EH tbh.

With dragonscale armor, blue is for casters that want major arcane lore, black for most dps melee. As your wis is effectively dumped, I'm not really sure you'd get maximum benefit from the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Loriac View Post
    If you took 2monk/1Ranger as a splash instead of 2/2, you could keep access to 9th level spells. You'd need to buy rapid shot in addition to the feats in your list with this choice.

What spell(s) is maximise intended for? On a str build, you won't be landing much that needs dc. I could see this being taken for greater creeping cold, but I'd weigh up whether its worth the feat slot. On a cleric version of this build (17C/2M/1R) divine punishment is good enough to warrant maximise, but too many mobs are cold immune imo to do the same with the druid version.

I'm assuming your build is Helf, but its not specified. HOrc would work well I think, as they get better power attack and +4 2H weapon damage with enhancements, plus the extra 4 str equates to an additional 3 damage per hit with 2H weapons.

Stout walking stick is a nice weapon, but I wouldn't base an entire build around it. Sireth shows as steel, so I'm not sure that shillelagh will even work with it.

Energy burst dc's are going to be very low with your stats - it runs off Int or Cha. On my juggernaut build (which has 3 sorc PLs for +3 evoc dc), the main thing that stops me from twisting in energy burst is that they'll be cast at around 44 DC which may not be enough in my view. Having said that, I'm thinking of testing it out to see just how effective it might be in eGH content. I'm not hopeful for anything beyond EH tbh.

With dragonscale armor, blue is for casters that want major arcane lore, black for most dps melee. As your wis is effectively dumped, I'm not really sure you'd get maximum benefit from the blue.
    Thx all good points, wanted to get the build out of my head, it needs a lot of work...

Edit: Changed it to 17 druid 2 monk 1 ranger just made to much sense.
    Last edited by Purkilius; 03-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

My gut instinct is that your DCs will be too low to bother with spells like Earthquake, in which case what about a more heavily-MCed build, like druid 13 / monk 6 / <splash> 1? You'd still get the no-save DOTs like Creeping Cold & Ice Storm, as well as water elemental. And it would let you add Zen Archery + 10K Stars if you wanted more of a full-time drunkcher. For boss fights, my thinking was Freezing Spray -> Greater Creeping Cold -> Creeping Cold -> Manyshot w/icy-bursted longbow -> 10K Stars - rinse, repeat. The main drawback is losing Heal & Mass Regenerate.

You also don't have Precise Shot & IPS, but given your feat constraints and build goals, there's probably not room for them.

I have a feeling this build is going to disappoint you.

If you want to be indestructible...maybe just TR into a Juggernaut?

Arty gets a buncha free feats.

Also getting native UMD and Trap skills is helpful also.

I am just afraid you are going to be spread too thin.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    My gut instinct is that your DCs will be too low to bother with spells like Earthquake, in which case what about a more heavily-MCed build, like druid 13 / monk 6 / <splash> 1? You'd still get the no-save DOTs like Creeping Cold & Ice Storm, as well as water elemental. And it would let you add Zen Archery + 10K Stars if you wanted more of a full-time drunkcher. For boss fights, my thinking was Freezing Spray -> Greater Creeping Cold -> Creeping Cold -> Manyshot w/icy-bursted longbow -> 10K Stars - rinse, repeat. The main drawback is losing Heal & Mass Regenerate.

You also don't have Precise Shot & IPS, but given your feat constraints and build goals, there's probably not room for them.
    Earthquake is landing on EH GH at level 22 with no focus, twists or ED to back it up but I know it is a long way from EE...

Interesting concept but I am pretty set on 17 levels of Druid.

Maybe it is best to get an ESoS just need the basic weapon and focus on THF feats but I am going to try this out when I acquire a few missing things to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I have a feeling this build is going to disappoint you.

If you want to be indestructible...maybe just TR into a Juggernaut?

Arty gets a buncha free feats.

Also getting native UMD and Trap skills is helpful also.

I am just afraid you are going to be spread too thin.
    Next life when I have enough ED´s capped thinking of a bard life also remember this build is about having fun in all ED´s.

A little update did the LR, manyshot is adding a nice dimension to this build, still leveling ED´s and gearing up.

Having problems with with lore and elemental dmg, can not find a place to fit them in the final gear plan as black scales are just adding to much dmg to melee and ranged.

Been doing some EE questing and Shiradi Champion destiny is a clear winner there but not really useful in raids.

Will do a clean up of the first post when the ED and gear grind slows down.