Hybrid View

Default Weapons for leveling Juggernaut build?

So, thinking of TR'ing a toon into a Juggernaut, want to try it out before it gets nerfed This toon is currently an assassin, and has 1 ranger AA and one monk-cher life. So there are a lot of bows for leveling (silver, GS Lit II, epic silver flame, road watch, etc) - no Pinion/Unyielding Ardency, though.

However, the only melee weapons I have are rapiers/shortswords I used on my ranger and rogue lives, and a bunch of nice handwraps from my monk-cher life. Most time I see Juggernauts at cap, running with eSoS or Sireth, of which I have neither. Is it worth focusing q-staff to maintain centering? I can easily craft a LitII q-staff before TR'ing, and already have Souleater (can make epic), Nat Gann (can make epic), and Dreamspitter. I can obviously easily get Rahl's Might and the Eveningstar Villager q-staff. Will that hold me over until I can finally pull something decent from CITW?

As an aside, in the last 4 updates, dozens of weapons, only 3 named bows - Pinion, Roadwatch, Tortured. ***, Turbine? A nice commendation turn-in bow would not be terrible.
    Khyber, Leader of Elite Empire: Veryunique - Wiz20/Epic8 (PM, PL: Clr,Fvs), Skullcrshr - Pal20/Epic8 (PL: Barb, Ftrx2),
    Elsir - Brd12/Ftr4/Rog2/Epic7 (Swash, PL: Rgr,Mnk,Rog,Art,Drd,Clr), TheMadness - Sorc 14 (PL: Sorc, Wiz, Clr)

I highly recommend making at least a pos 3 weapon (maul works well) and grabbing a carnifex.

Most of my leveling to 20 was done with an earth 3 falchion, which is pretty nice for leveling. If you can make a lit 2, you can probably make both an earth 3 and pos 3. It's probably really not worth staying centered, though.

Bow of Sinew makes a good "I have nothing else" bow, as well.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

EAGA and the Villager's Commmendation staff are both decent weapons at L20 as well.
    The staff is surprisingly good actually.

lit2 for melee and bow, earth3 bow's work well as well. I also really like the bow of the silver flame for any toon that uses a bow for the necro4 quests.

Community Member

For the 4-11 range Carnifex is probably the top end against things that can be crit. Silver Longbow is nice against things that you can crit - double the crit range, 1d10 base damage, +3 holy longbow with a red slot now.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

I always use crafted wraps until level 12 then GS weapons, against undead disruption wraps have served me well.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

Fury of the Flame is a pretty solid mid-teens weapon if you need a bridge. http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Fury_of_the_Flame

The nice thing about the Fury and the Stout Oak is that both have impact, which means you get the big crits even though you've spec'd for slashing crits long term (so it saves you a feat swap).

The commendation stick is just so easy to get. Still, if you farmed the Lords of Dust, you may be able to make an epic Fury easily enough if you didn't have the commendations. Both have impact and are 20/x3, both have fracturing - essentially you're swapping Flaming Blast, Brilliance and a red slot for Aligned, Felling the Oak and Slippery Surface Immunity (plus centered option). On a monk-split Juggernaut the staff has some serious appeal for centering.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    On a monk-split Juggernaut the staff has some serious appeal for centering.
    Indeed; I think it's 6[2d6] + 6 17-20 * 3 with Deadly Weapons, Dance of Flowers
    twisted and in LD (with Pulverizer)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Indeed; I think it's 6[2d6] + 6 17-20 * 3 with Deadly Weapons, Dance of Flowers
    twisted and in LD (with Pulverizer)
    I believe 19-20 includes impact, so... half that good.

In the teen levels for those not looking to be centered or grind out GS mats the ML 14 (elite) version of the Great Axe of the Chained Soldier ( 2[1d12], 20x3, +5, Hemorrhaging, Immunity to Fear, Red Augment Slot) does great damage and can often be found on the AH.

Not sure about the Juggernaut build, but there are three avenues I see for most TRs:

1) Cannith crafting. I've been crafting and re-crafting special beaters for my pally TR. They are definately a step-up from random loot gen, especially if you can get Cannith Marks for dropping minimum level. Usually you'll have your specialty metal weapons (silver, adamantine, cold iron, etc) and then maybe a couple with augment slots. Just re-craft at different levels to increase their potency. This all depends on how many essences you have stored up, your maximum crafting levels, and so on. But, it is a pretty good base-line option.

2) Greensteel. You've heard arguments for LIT / MIN / 3XPOS. These are a step up from crafting.

3) BtCoE random loot gen. I will say this, these weapons have really gotten my attention lately. I'm putting them almost on par with greensteel when it comes to leveling. One that I pulled was a scimitar of Wounding with a CON poison burst that really does a number on a lot of mobs, as well as a paralyzing khopesh of lacerating. Then there was the bow of the Sun's Fury that I pulled on my ranger that does an amazing amount of DPS on crits. if you're going to farm for stuff, you might want to look at this as a pre-TR option for levling weapons.

4) Named Loot - 'nuff said. A lot of named loot out there has augments, which allow you to extend the leveling life of the item.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    ...As an aside, in the last 4 updates, dozens of weapons, only 3 named bows - Pinion, Roadwatch, Tortured. ***, Turbine? A nice commendation turn-in bow would not be terrible.
    There does seem to be a shortage of good bows and many that are readily available seem to be generated randomly. One good bow I saw at the pawn shop for a reasonable price was limited to Chaotic Neutral Dwarves only!

This thread is interesting but it could be more informative by putting the level requirements by the name of a weapon to indicate when it is available. The Silver Longbow (L8) is a good bow for that level although it seems it can only be found at the end of a L9 dungeon. [I got mine at L7 and the final boss was almost impossible to defeat solo.] There is also a Silver Longbow (L6) listed on the exchange for about 52k with 100k buyout but that one looks inferior to Giant's Roar (L6) which is more available and affordable.