Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Post-MotU Definitive AC Bonus Thread

Forward
    Hi. My name is Ron. You may remember me from such programs as "The DDO Character Planner" and "The Ultimate DDO Quest List" (now defunct).

In the past, we've had a series of great threads by some of the best DDO players on how Armor Class (AC) is calculated. You can see the latest example in the references section below. These are very useful threads, because AC is a very complicated subject, and the more you know, the better you understand the subject, the better chance you have of maximizing your AC which is always a good thing (just ask your local healer).

Sadly, when the developers released MotU all the rules of AC changed, and those threads instantly became dated. I wouldn't say they are useless (there is still a lot of great information there) but much of it is now simply wrong.

I am not in the category of the people who have maintained those threads in the past. I'm not really an equipment guy. This will be a learning experience for me. So it is with some misgiving that I take on this thread. But, no one else seems to have volunteered to tackle the project, and I think this is a thread we need to have. Also, I have somewhat selfish motivations for having this thread around. I need this information for the character planner. And I'm hoping you guys can help me fill in the blanks and fix any errors I make.

This will be a living document. At first it will just be a skeleton. And it will probably take me a few days just to finish up the first skeletal draft. So bear with me as I get the information put in. Also, I'm going to change the format of how this thread looks from prior versions, 'cause that's the sort of thing I do.

How Defense Works
    Although this thread is mainly here to discuss ways to increase your AC value, it's difficult to talk about AC without also talking about defense in general. There are basically five values that contribute to your defense. The one I will spend the most time on is your Armor Class (AC). But in addition to this, there are three percentage values (Concealment, Dodge, and Incorporeal) that an attacker must overcome in order to hit you. If an attacker manages to get past those four levels of defense and actually score a hit, the amount of damage they do is reduced by your Physical Resistance Rating (PRR). I will talk about these latter items after we finish up the AC discussion.

How AC Works
    Your total AC is the sum of a lot of categories of individual AC modifiers. The tricky bit about these modifiers is that, for the most part, you only get to take the highest modifier in each category. For example, if you are wearing leather armor (which falls into the Armor Bonus category, and have a value of 3) and are also wearing Black Window Bracers (which fall into the same category with a value of 4), then you get a bonus of 4 for that category, rather than 7. There are some exceptions to that rule, but mostly, it holds true, and you should plan your equipment accordingly. Take the item that gives you the best AC in any particular category, and vendor trash the rest, because it will do you no good.

Once you go through all this data and finally calculate your AC value, you will end up with a number. Great. What the hell does it mean? You can get an idea by looking at the formula used to determine if a monster hits you or not:
    (Monster’s Attack Bonus + 10.5) / (Target’s Armor Class * 2) * 100

The Monster Attack Bonus is a value we don't really know, but as monsters go up in level, you can be sure their bonus gets higher and higher (those Sahaugin you were fighting in Korthos Island are sure to have a much lower value than the Orthons you will be taking on in Tower of Despair). So let's look at a monster with an attack bonus of 20 verses a few AC values:

(20+10.5)/(20*2)*100 = 76%
    (20+10.5)/(25*2)*100 = 61%
    (20+10.5)/(30*2)*100 = 51%

so as you can see, a 10 point increase in your armor value brings your chance of being hit by this monster down from about three quarters of the time to about half the time.

The AC Modifier Types
    So, the first thing you ought to know is; What are the modifier categories? The equation for AC looks like this:

Total = Base Value + Armor Bonus + Shield Bonus + Dexterity Modifier + Wisdom Modifier + Natural Armor Bonus + Size Bonus + Luck Bonus + Deflection Bonus + Insight Bonus + Centered Bonus + Alechemal Bonus + Miscellaneous Bonus

Note that another category exists, Dodge. Dodge used to work as another modifier, but since MotU, it has changed to a percentage value, and no longer directly affects your AC.

The idea of this thread is that, for each component in that formula, I'm going to go through and list every known way to increase that value. In some cases there will be perpetual increases (those that stay around permanently or at least until you specifically do something to affect it, like remove a piece of equipment), and in some cases there will be temporary increases (like spells that wear off over time). In any event, remember you can only take the highest value for each component of that equation. I can't stress that enough, because a lot of people get tripped up by that.

Sources of AC Modifiers
    Base Value
    • [+10] All Characters

Armor Bonus
    Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+0 to +24] Item: Docent (WF only, randomly generated – these stack with WF Body Feats below, but not other items such as armored bracers). DragonTouched Docents receive extra Armor Bonus.
    • [+1 to +24] Item: Armor (essentially Armor Base Bonus + Enchantment bonus, randomly generated. White Dragonscale armor Receives a +1 Modifier to Armor and DragonTouched receives +2)
    • [+1 to +8] Item: Armored Bracers (randomly generated)
    • [+2] Item: Jeeka's Spangle
    • [+2] Item: Delera's Vestments (from Delera's Tomb end reward)
    • [+2] Item: Thanatos Weave Robe (from South Threnal end reward)
    • [+2] Feat: Warforged Composite Plating (automatic for WF)
    • [+3] Item: Elfcrafted Robe (Elf Relics)
    • [+3] Item: Robe of Arcane Puisance (from Tempest Spine)
    • [+4] Item: Blackwidow Bracers (Waterworks end reward)
    • [+4] Item: Shroud of the Abbot (from Accursed Ascension raid chest)
    • [+4] Item: Blue Dragonscale Robe (Blue Dragon Scales)
    • [+4] Item: Vulkoorim Dervish Robe (from Sands of Menechtarun)
    • [+4] Item: Dragoncrafted Robe (Dragon Relics)
    • [+4] Item: Giantcrafted Robe (Giant Relics)
    • [+4] Item: Beta Noir (bracers from Cursed Crypt)
    • [+5] Item: Black Dragonscale Robe (Black Dragon Scales)
    • [+5] Item: Robe of Magi (Black Mausoleum from Mentau Chest)
    • [+5] Item: Ironweave Robe (from Dragon Chest)
    • [+5] Item: Cloth of the Faithful (from Accursed Ascension, SF Side amulet upgrade)
    • [+5] Feat: Warforged Mithril Body
    • [+6] Item: White Dragonscale Robe (White Dragon Scales)
    • [+8] Feat: Warforged Adamantine Body

Temporary and Situational Bonuses
    • [+4] Spell: Mage Armor

Shield Bonus
    Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1 to +9] Item: Shields (Randomly Generated)
    • [+2 to +6] Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I, II, or III
    • [+6 or +7] Item: Flawless White Dragonhide Armor

• [+1] Feat: Two Weapon Defense (while dual-wielding)
    • [+4] Spell: Shield

Dexterity Modifier
    The Dexterity Modifier is very complicated. It is a combination of three factors, your Dexterity Modifier, your Armor Max Dex Cap, and your Shield Max Dex Cap. Basically, you will figure out each of the three values independently, take the smallest of the three, and use that value.

What makes this whole thing a bit interesting is you can actually cause your AC to drop by wearing very heavy armor if you have a large dex value, due to the whole cap issue. This is why you don't see monks in full plate. They actually get a higher AC value from not wearing any armor than they would by wearing heavy armor. So make sure when you don armor, you aren't actually dropping your AC instead of raising it (look at the armor's Armor Bonus versus its Dexterity Modifier cap).

The Dexterity Modifier
    Look at your total dexterity score (after modifications from enhancements, equipment, tomes, or whatever). If it is 11 or less, you get 0 points for this modifier. Starting at 12, and for each 2 points thereafter, you get +1 point. So if your Dex is:

12: +1
    14: +2
    16: +3

and so forth. Pretty easy so far. So the question becomes, how do I raise my dexterity?

Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1] Item: Litany of the Dead Trinket: Profane Bonus to all Stats
    • [+0 to +5] Stat: Base DEX. Starting Character dex of 8 to 20
    • [+1] Feat: Great Dexterity (epic)
    • [+1 to +2] Item: Shroud Crafted Weapons (Stacking)
    • [+1 to +2] Item: Tower of Despair Rings (Does not stack with Shroud Items)
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Halfling DEX I to II
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Elf DEX I to II
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Drow DEX I to II
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Ranger DEX I to III (stacks with racial, but not other class DEX enhancements)
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Rogue DEX I to III (stacks with racial, but not other class DEX enhancements)
    • [+1 to +5] Tomes: Random Drops, Raid Loot.
    • [+1 to +7] Item Effect: “Dexterous” (Random Items)
    • [+2] Item Effect: Alchemical Dexterity (LoB Crafted)

• [+1 to +3] Alchemical Dex Bonus: House D collectable turn-ins
    • [+2] Yugoloth Favor Potion (Stacks with everything)
    • [+2] Turbine Store Potion (Stacks with everything)
    • [+2 to +4] Monk Stance: Air (While In stance)
    • [+4] Spell: Cat’s Grace (doesn’t stack with any equipped item)
    • [+4] Item Effect: Cannith Combat Infusion [alchemical bonus, temporary] (Fabricator's Bracers)

Remember, you must raise your dexterity by 2 points for each +1 you want to add to your Dexterity Modifier category.

Armor Max Dex Cap
    Now, there is one extra wrinkle to this. Your armor (and sometimes your shield) can impose a cap to the amount of this bonus. Which makes sense. If you are wearing full plate, you are hardly going to be hopping out of the way of an incoming sword slash. For generic armor, the cap values are as such:

Light Leather Armor
    • [+6] Leather
    • [+8] Skirmish Leather
    • [+11] Feycraft Leather
    • [+14] Spiritcraft Leather
    • [+18] Celestial Leather

Light Chain Armor
    • [+5] Chainmail Shirt
    • [+7] Skirmish Chainmail
    • [+9] Feycraft Chainmail
    • [+11] Spiritcraft Chainmail
    • [+13] Celestial Chainmail

Medium Scalemail Armor
    • [+4] Scalemail
    • [+6] Skirmish Scalemail
    • [+8] Feycraft Scalemail
    • [+10] Spiritcraft Scalemail
    • [+12] Celestial Scalemail

Medium Breastplate Armor
    • [+3] Breastplate
    • [+4] Battle Breastplate
    • [+5] Magecraft Breastplate
    • [+6] Mountain Breastplate
    • [+7] Planeforged Breastplate

Heavy Half Plate Armor
    • [+2] Half Plate
    • [+3] Battle Half Plate
    • [+4] Magecraft Half Plate
    • [+5] Mountain Half Plate
    • [+6] Planeforged Half Plate

Heavy Full Plate Armor
    • [+1] Full Plate
    • [+1] Battle Full Plate
    • [+1] Magecraft Full Plate
    • [+1] Mountain Full Plate
    • [+1] Planeforged Full Plate

Warforged
    • [+1] Feat: Warforged Adamantine Body
    • [+5] Feat: Warforged Mithril Body
    • [No Limit] Feat: Warforged Composite Plating

Deprecated Armor
    • [+8] Padded
    • [+5] Studded Leather
    • [+4] Hide
    • [+3] Scale
    • [+3] Brigadine

The armor material can modify these caps.
    • [+1] Darkleaf: Increases the cap (e.g. Darkleaf Breastplate will have a cap of +4 rather than +3)
    • [+2] Mithril: Increases the cap (e.g. Mithril Breastplate will have a cap of +5 rather than +3)

For named armors, they mostly follow the above table for whatever their base type is, with some exceptions. You can check their cap by examining the armor (it is listed as "Max Dex Bonus"). Not wearing any armor, wearing robes, or wearing an outfit does not impose any limit on your Dexterity Modifier.

This cap can be raised using the following methods:
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I and II
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Stalwart Defender II and III (note that Stalwart Defender I does not affect the armor dex cap)
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Defender of Siberys II and III (note that Defender of Siberys I does not affect the armor dex cap)
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Dwarf Armor Mastery I, II, and III
    • [+2] Item: Daggertooth's Belt (The Crucible) mimics the Fighter Armor Mastery II Enhancement
    • [+2] Epic Crafting: Blue crystals slotted in armor

Shield Max Dex Cap
    Another potential cap is your shield. Most shields will not impose a cap. But Tower Shields will, using the following formulas:
    • [+2] Wooden and Steel Tower Shields
    • [+4] Mithral Tower Shields

This cap can be raised using the following enhancements:
    • [+1 to +3] Tower Shield Mastery I, II, and III
    • [+1 to +3] Stalwart Defender I, II, and III
    • [+1 to +3] Defender of Siberys I, II and III

I believe these enhancement lines will even stack together, so if you have Tower Shield Mastery II and Stalwart Defender II, your cap would be raised by +4 in total. Somebody double check me on that!

TL;DR;
    Whew, this is a very complicated category. Probably the most complicated of the bunch! The bottom line is this. Figure out your dex bonus. Figure out your armor cap (if any). Finally, figure out your shield cap (if any). Of the three, take the lowest value. That is your Dexterity Modifier.

Wisdom Modifier
    If you have no levels of Monk, your number for this category is zero (unless you are a Half Elf and take the "Half-Elf Dilettante: Monk" feat, see below).

If you have at least one level of Monk, you get to add your Wisdom Modifier to your AC. Your Wisdom modifier is calculated just like the Dexterity Bonus above. A Wisdom value of 11 or less gives you zero. At 12, you get +1. At 14, you get +2, and so forth. You add a +1 bonus for every 2 points of Wisdom starting at 12.

Fortunately, for the Wisdom bonus, there is no capping to worry about, you simply add in your Wisdom Modifier. The only restriction is that the Monk must be centered to receive this bonus (which means no armor [robes and outfits are okay], no shield, and you cannot be encumbered). If the Monk is not centered, they lose this bonus until they are recentered.

Half Elves may take the "Half-Elf Dilettante: Monk" feat, which allows them to apply up to 2 points of their wisdom modifier to their AC. This bonus is subject to the same centered conditions prerequisite as a normal monk.

Methods to raise your Wisdom:

Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+0 to +5] Stat: Base WIS. Starting Character wis of 8 to 20
    • [+1] Item Effect: Exceptional Wisdom (Shroud/ToD Crafted, Named, and random)
    • [+1 to +7] Item Effect: “Wisdom” (Random Items)
    • [+1] Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    • [+1] Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Wisdom I
    • [+1] Enhancement: Half-Elf Cleric Wisdom I
    • [+1] Enhancement: Half-Elf Monk Wisdom I
    • [+1] Item: Litany of the Dead Trinket (Profane Bonus to all Stats)
    • [+1] Feat: Great Wisdom (epic)
    • [+1 to +2] Enhancement: Favored Soul Wisdom I and II
    • [+1 to +2] Item Effect: "Exceptional Wisdom"
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I, II, and III
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Druid Wisdom I, II, and III
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I, II, and III
    • [+2] Enhancement: Druid Hierophant
    • [+2] Enhancement: Monk Serenity
    • [+2] Item Effect: Alchemical Wisdom (LoB Crafted)
    • [+2 to +3] Item Effect: Insightful Wisdom (Shroud/ToD Crafted, Named, and random)
    • [+1 to +5] Tomes: Random Drops, Raid Loot.

• [+2] Yugoloth Favor Potion (Stacks with everything)
    • [+2] Turbine Store Potion (Stacks with everything)
      [+2 to +4] Monk Stance: Ocean (while in stance)
    • [+4] Spell: Owl's Wisdom (doesn’t stack with any equipped item)

Remember, you must raise your Wisdom by 2 points for each +1 point in this category.

Natural Armor Bonus
    Natural armor is a little bit tricky. There are a number of subcategories of Natural Armor (Natural Armor, Primal Bonus to Natural Armor, Insight Bonus to Natural Armor, and Exceptional Bonus to Natural Armor). For each subcategory, you take your highest bonus. You then add each of the bonuses you calculated from each subcategory to get your total Natural Armor Bonus. In other words, unlike bonus types will stack (e.g. an item with a Primal Bonus to Natural Armor and another item with an Insight Bonus to Natural Armor will stack together, but two items with a Primal Bonus to Natural Armor will not, since they are like bonuses). The Exceptional Bonus to Natural Armor is slightly different, but I will go over that when I get to that category.

Natural Armor Bonus
    Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1] Item: Pre-order Amulet
    • [+1] Item: Chimera's Crown
    • [+1] Item Effect: "Bracing"
    • [+1] Might of the Abishai (3 items)
    • [+1 to +5]: Item: Pirate Hat (Treasure of Crystal Cove)
    • [+1 to +6] Item Effect: "Natural Armor"
    • [+1 to +7] Augment Effect: Natural (Blue Augment Slot)
    • [+4] Augment Effect: Natural (Deprecated - will convert to new Augment Effect [+6 or +7] by using Cleansing Ritual)
    • [+2] Item: Hammer of Life (Dragon Chest)
    • [+2] Item: Ring of Balance (Invader Tokens)
    • [+2] Item: Ring of Troll's Regeneration
    • [+2] Item: Grim's Bracelet
    • [+2] Item Effect: "Bolstering"
    • [+3] Item: Seal of Earth (from DQ Chest)
    • [+3] Item Effect: "Rough Hide" (Stacks with other natural bonus items!)
    • [+3] Item Effect: "Buttressing"
    • [+3]Greater Might of the Abishai (3 items)
    • [+4] Item: Essence of Despair
    • [+4] Yugoloth Favor Potion
    • [+5] Item: Epic Chimera's Crown
    • [+5] Item: Epic Hammer of Life
    • [+6] Item: Epic Seal of the Earth

• [+1]Gnashtooth Kobold Shaman Ship Buff: +1 stacking bonus to Natural Armor
    • [+1]House Kundarak Battlemaster Ship Buff
    • [+1]House Deneith Defender Ship Buff
    • [+2 to +5] Spell: Barkskin (Ranger base or potion)
    • [+4] Spell: Madstone Rage (only castable from Madstone Boots from Reaver Raid Chest)
    • [+4] Spell: Tenser's Transformation (Wizard/Sorcerer base or scroll)
    • [+4] Enhancement: Bladesworn Transformation (WF only, req. Cleric 6/Paladin 9)

Primal Bonus to Natural Armor
    ToDo

Insight Bonus to Natural Armor
    ToDo

Exceptional Bonus to Natural Armor
    • [+1] Item Effect: "Exceptional"

Size Bonus
    • [+1] Race: Halfling

Luck Bonus
    • [+2] Spell: Recitation (Cleric base)

Deflection Bonus
    Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1] Item: Dusty Rose Ioun Stone
    • [+1] Item: Arlyn’s Staff (from Gwylan’s Stand)
    • [+1 to +7] Item Effect: "Protection"
    • [+2] Item: Ring of the Silver Concord (from Dragon Chest)
    • [+2] Item: Cloak of Shadows (from Vampire Chest)
    • [+2] Item Effect: "Stability" (True Neutral only)
    • [+2] Item: Docent of Defense (Invader Tokens)
    • [+2] Item: Cloak of Invisibility (from Tempest Spine)
    • [+3] Item: Spectacular Optics (from South Threnal end reward)
    • [+3] Item: Kundarak Warding Bracers (from Dragon Chest)
    • [+3] Item: Spiked Turban (from Sands of Menechtarun)
    • [+3] Item: Mysterious Ring (from Chamber of Raiyum)
    • [+3] Item: Ancient Band (from Madstone Crater)
    • [+3] Crafted Item: Shroud Crafted Tier 2
    • [+4] Item Effect: "Greater Stability" (True Neutral only)
    • [+4] Item: Sorrel (Shield of Legend option for collectible turn-ins)
    • [+4] Item: Iron Manacles (Chaotic Align only (UMD DC20), from Delera's Tomb end reward)
    • [+4] Item: White Dragonscale Collectibles (White Dragon Scales)
    • [+4] Item: Amulet of the Stormreaver (from Reaver’s Chest)
    • [+5] Shroud Crafted Tier 3 Dual Shard
    • [+5] Tier 2 Dragontouched Random Effect
    • [+5] Item Effect: "Reinforcement"
    • [+6] Item Effect: "Superior Stability" (True Neutral only)
    • [+7 to +8] Item: Flawless White Dragonhide Armor

• [+2 to +4] Spell: Shield of Faith
    • [+2] Spell: Protection from Evil (versus evil)
    • [+2] Spell: Protection from Chaos (versus chaos)

Insight Bonus
    • [+1] Item Effect: "Parrying" (Randomly Generated)
    • [+1] Item: Lorinthor's Belt(+1)
    • [+1] Item: Ethereal Bracers (Ghosts of Perdition)
    • [+2] Item Effect: "Greater Parrying" (Randomly Generated)
    • [+3 or +5] Item: Levicks Defenders Set (+3 with Two Items, +5 with all Three Items/Effects (Hound Shield, Hound Bracers, Tier 3 Dragontouched Effect)
    • [+3] Item: Knight's Loyalty Set (Purple Dragon Armor, Purple Dragon Helm, Purple Dragon Gauntlets)
    • [+4] Item Effect: "Superior Parrying" (Randomly Generated)
    • [+4] Crafted Item: Insight +4, Shroud Crafted Weapons & Tier 3 Dragontouched Random Effect

Centered Bonus
    • [+3] Feat: AC Bonus (Monk Level 2)
    • [+6] Feat: AC Bonus (Monk Level 5)
    • [+9] Feat: AC Bonus (Monk Level 10)
    • [+12] Feat: AC Bonus (Monk Level 15)
    • [+15] Feat: AC Bonus (Monk Level 20)

In order to receive the Centered Bonus, a Monk cannot wear armor (other than robes or outfits). They cannot use a shield, and they cannot be encumbered. If any of these conditions fail, the monk will lose this bonus until they remedy the failure state. For Warforged, Composite Plating will maintain the centered status, but any higher level of plating will cause it to fail.

Alchemal Bonus
    • [+4] Spell: Tensor's Transformation

Miscellaneous Bonus
    Unlike the rest of the categories, the Miscellaneous bonuses all stack together. So you get to add whatever bonuses you have together for this one.

Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1] Class PrE Bonus: Defender of Sibery's III
    • [+1] Spell: Haste (Dodge bonus, likely to be changed to a percentage value in the future)
    • [+1 to +5] Class: Paladin's Aura of Good
    • [+1 to +3] Enhancement: Hero's Companion I, II, and III
    • [+1 to +3] Fighter PrE: Stalwart Defender I, II, and III
    • [+2] Item: Band of Sibery's: if worn by a Defender of Sibery's III enhanced Character
    • [+2] Item: Cinders Band: if worn by a Stalwart Defender III Enhanced Character

• [+2 to +5] Enhancement: Human Versatility - Armor Class (Human/Half Elf only)
    • [+2] Action: Active Block (while Blocking)
    • [+2] Item Effect: Cannith Combat Infusion [alchemical bonus to AC, temporary] (Fabricator's Bracers)
    • [+4] Feat: Bulwark of Defense (epic, while using defensive fighting or combat expertise)
    • [+5/+10/+15/+20] Enhancement: Action Boost (Paladin/Fighter only)

Other Types of Defense
    In addition to your AC, there are a few other types of defense that you can use to avoid being hit. There are three percentage values which any attacker must roll against in order to hit you, consisting of Dodge, Incorporeal, and Concealment. If an attacker manages to get through all three of those plus your AC, they will score a hit. However, the damage done may be reduced by your Physical Resistance Rating (PRR). So let's talk about the sources of those values.

Dodge
    Dodge was changed with the MotU update. It no longer directly affects your AC. Instead you get a percentage value. An attacker must roll a higher value (on a 1D100) than your dodge rating in order to get past this defense.

Your dodge value is capped by the type of armor you are wearing, and in general you cannot go beyond that cap. However, the Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge feats provide a clicky (giving +25% and +50% respectively) which will increase your dodge percent value beyond the cap for a short period of time.

Perpetual Bonuses
    • [+1% to +6%] Feat: Uncanny Dodge (Rogue and Barbarian only [Level 4 automatic feat for both])
    • [+1% to +6%] Feat: Improved Uncanny Dodge (Rogue [Level 8 automatic feat] and Barbarian only [Level 4 automatic feat])
    • [+2%] Feat: Combat Archery (wielding a ranged weapon only)
    • [+2%] Feat: Spring Attack
    • [+2%] Feat: Mobility
    • [+2% to +6%] Feat: Flurry of Blows (Monk only)
    • [+3%] Feat: Dodge

As a note, the Mobility feat can be selected as a feat, or it may be acquired from worn items.

• [+1%] Enhancement: Lesser Ocean Stance
    • [+2%] Enhancement: Ocean Stance
    • [+3%] Enhancement: Greater Ocean Stance
    • [+4%] Enhancement: Ultimate Ocean Stance
    • [+4%] Bard Song: Inspire Heroics
    • [+25%] Feat: Uncanny Dodge (clicky, Rogue only)
    • [+50%] Feat: Improved Uncanny Dodge (clicky, Barbarian only)

Max Dodge Chance
    ToDo

Incorporeal
    ToDo
    Concealment
    ToDo

Physical Resistance Rating
    Assuming a creature makes it through all your other defenses and actually scores a hit, the amount of damage you take is mitigated by your Physical Resistance Rating (PRR). This only works for physical attacks (bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage). For every point of PRR you have, the damage is reduced by 0.65% (the actual formula is (1 – (0.99^PRR)) × 0.65). All sources of PRR stack together.

PRR Base Value
    The base value of your PRR is derived from the type of armor you are wearing and your Base Attack Bonus. You must be proficient in that armor type to receive this PRR value:
    • Heavy Armor gives you Physical Resistance Rating equal to your Base Attack Bonus +6.
    • Medium Armor gives you Physical Resistance Rating equal to 2/3 of your Base Attack Bonus +4.
    • Light Armor gives you Physical Resistance Rating equal to 1/2 of your Base Attack Bonus +2.
    • Adamantine Body gives you Physical Resistance Rating equal to your Base Attack Bonus.
    • Mithral Body gives you Physical Resistance Rating equal to 1/2 of your Base Attack Bonus.

PRR Enhancement Bonuses
    Enhancement bonuses to PRR do not stack with each other
    • [+2 to +14] Item Augment: Sapphire of Physical Resistance Rating
    • [+3] Iron Cloak of the Bear
    • [+3 to +15] Bulwark of the Storm's Fist (large shield)
    • [+6] Mithral Cloak of the Bear
    • [+9] Adamantine Cloak of the Bear
    • [+9 to +12] Bastion (tower shield)

References
    The last version of the Definitive AC Bonus Thread - by Impaqt
    DDO Wiki - Armor Class Bonuses
    DDO WIki - Armor by Proficiency
    Summary of Combat Changes in Menace of the Underdark
    Combat Change Details
    Physical Resistance Rating
    Last edited by Ron; 08-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Alright gang,

I'm not 100% done, but close enough at this point. I've essentially brought everything over from the prior thread, and fixed those things I know have changed. I'm sure I've missed stuff. If you have anything to add, see any errors, or just have a comment on the format, let me know.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Community Member

people use Armor Class as a relevant stat post MoTU? News to me.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

This is great! Maybe this is too complicated, but how about a breakdown of what AC's will give you a 25%,50%, 75%, and the maximum (whatever that is) miss percent for each level 1-25? To give benchmarks for people to strive for. I think that would be really useful!

Natural Armor Bonus
    [+1 to +5] Item: "of Protection" Item (Randomly Generated)
    Protection and Natural Armor go up to +7 now. Natural Armor can be randomly generated.

[+2] Item: "Of Greater Parrying" (Randomly Generated)
    Superior Parrying (+4) will lootgen on bracers, and also comes on a couple of named items (Oathblade).
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    [+2 to +4] Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I, II, or III
    This go's 2, 4, 6 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    people use Armor Class as a relevant stat post MoTU? News to me.
    I think this is far more about having accurate information in the Character Planer then about how to build a toon for AC

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Protection and Natural Armor go up to +7 now. Natural Armor can be randomly generated.
    Got protection put in. How is the natural armor bonus named?

Superior Parrying (+4) will lootgen on bracers, and also comes on a couple of named items (Oathblade).
    Got it. I'll look and see what I have for named stuff in the planner.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    This go's 2, 4, 6 now.
    Got it.

I think this is far more about having accurate information in the Character Planer then about how to build a toon for AC
    Yep.

Alright gang,

I'm not 100% done, but close enough at this point. I've essentially brought everything over from the prior thread, and fixed those things I know have changed. I'm sure I've missed stuff. If you have anything to add, see any errors, or just have a comment on the format, let me know.
    You can have a +5 Natural armor bonus at level 9 on a CC pirate event hat. Augments also adds up to +7 at ML 24 in both protection and Natural bonus and the Epic white dragon armor have protection +8 (max upgrade. The trinket out of PoP (epic) adds insightful +6. There are numerous FR named items that adds either protection +6 or +7.

All in all a good list.

Community Member

[+2 to +5] Enhancement: Human Versatility - Armor Class (Human only)
    Human/Half Elf Only
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

You can get random loot gen with Natural Armor bonuses on them (usually necklaces from what I see, and they can go up to +5 I believe). I know my mid level monk has a nice Pirate's hat with Nat Arm +5 on it as did my old AC build fighter.

Bard Songs (Inspire Heroics) can boost effective AC by +4.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

[+2] Item: “of Stability” (True Neutral only)
    [+4] Item: "of Greater Stability" (True Neutral only)
    And "of Superior Stability" for +6 deflection bonus.

for Armor types, you list Hide, Scale, Studded, etc that no longer drop in game. While there's still legacy chain rewards like Sharn and Fens that may drop them, perhaps make a note that these types are essentially deprecated.

Community Member

Rough Hide - increasing your base natural armor bonus by +3. On Epic Rakshasa Hide, Parasitic Breastplate, Rakshasa Hide, Hide of the Goristro

Knight's Loyalty Set: When all three items from the set are equipped, you will gain a +3 artifact bonus to your To-Hit and Damage rolls, and a +3 Insight bonus to Natural Armor.

New Prefixes and Suffixes:

Prefix:
    Bracing - DR 2, Natural Armor +1 (+1 BPM, BtCoE)
    Bolstering - DR 3/-, Natural Armor +2 [3] (+2 BPM, BtCoE)
    Buttressing - DR 4/-, Natural Armor +3 (+3 BPM, BtCoE)

Suffix:
    Reinforcement - +5 protection (deflection bonus to AC), DR 5/-
    Greater Reinforcement (+7 effect, BtCoE) - +6 protection (deflection bonus to AC), DR 6/-

Ring and Necklaces as suffix can get +1 - +6 Natural armor
    Last edited by emptysands; 03-13-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Note that another category exists, Dodge. Dodge used to work as another modifier, but since MotU, it has changed to a percentage value, and no longer directly affects your AC.
    Sadly the Eldritch dodge rituals still provide dodge bonuses to AC, not an additional dodge %

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Sadly the Eldritch dodge rituals still provide dodge bonuses to AC, not an additional dodge %
    Oh, you are kidding. That's not cool Well, I guess we could lump that into the Misc bonus. Do you see a problem with that?

One thing I'm struggling with is the concept of "Insight bonus to Natural Armor". Is it an Insight bonus or a Natural Armor bonus? Am I misunderstanding something there? Is Insight not a separate bonus to AC like I have it listed?

I'll get everything you guys mentioned since my last reply into the list tomorrow morning. Good stuff guys, thanks.

Oh, you are kidding. That's not cool Well, I guess we could lump that into the Misc bonus. Do you see a problem with that?

One thing I'm struggling with is the concept of "Insight bonus to Natural Armor". Is it an Insight bonus or a Natural Armor bonus? Am I misunderstanding something there? Is Insight not a separate bonus to AC like I have it listed?

I'll get everything you guys mentioned since my last reply into the list tomorrow morning. Good stuff guys, thanks.
    Great revision. Thanks for your work!

The item with the Insight bonus to Natural Armor is the revised Kardin's Eye from Epic Prison of the Planes, which has the highest Heightened Awareness property in the game of which I'm aware. As Insight bonuses stack, this supplements any other Natural Armor except others with Insightful bonuses of the same type. I think such bonuses appear under "Miscellaneous" if there's not an "Insight" in the character sheet breakdown.

There used to be an +3 Insight bonus to Natural Armor on the Monk's Ultimate Mountain Stance, so the idea's not new. As of Update 14, that has changed to 20% overall AC bonus to a character's total armor number, among other things. This number stacks with Combat Expertise to reach 30%.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 03-13-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Quick clarification
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    The item with the Insight bonus to Natural Armor is the revised Kardin's Eye from Epic Prison of the Planes, which has the highest Heightened Awareness property in the game of which I'm aware.
    That's Heightened Awareness(6), or Insight bonus to (not Natural) Armour. The Knight's Set bonus is Insight bonus to Natural Armour - this may be a different bonus type.

If possible I'll try test it.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Default New armors

Then new armors are here.

Sorry, I tried to copy and paste, but it was just a jumble.

Okay, I THINK I got everyone's comments in to this point. If you see other issues, let me know. I will work on finishing up the categories I haven't fleshed out yet as I can.

Zenako: I looked up Inspire Heroics. According to the Wiki, it gives a 4% dodge bonus now rather than a +4 AC. So that is where I put it. Let me know if that's not right.

Okay, I THINK I got everyone's comments in to this point. If you see other issues, let me know. I will work on finishing up the categories I haven't fleshed out yet as I can.

Zenako: I looked up Inspire Heroics. According to the Wiki, it gives a 4% dodge bonus now rather than a +4 AC. So that is where I put it. Let me know if that's not right.
    Interesting, I actually double checked the Wiki after I posted in the thread and checked under the Bard Songs in the Class area and it stills lists the boost at +4AC. Might double box some to confirm later today, but if so the Bard part of the Wiki needs updating...
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Quote Originally Posted by Zenako View Post
    Interesting, I actually double checked the Wiki after I posted in the thread and checked under the Bard Songs in the Class area and it stills lists the boost at +4AC. Might double box some to confirm later today, but if so the Bard part of the Wiki needs updating...
    I can check it. I actually play a bard as my main. I'm just being lazy and not logging into the game I'll go check it right now.

[oops, scratch that. I can't check it. My bard isn't high enough level to have it (requires 15), and since it is an automatic feat, it doesn't show up even when you click on the "show unavailable" box. So all I have to go by is what's on the Wiki and in the current character planner, which says 4% dodge. So if someone can check on the actual feat description, that would be helpful].
    Last edited by Ron; 03-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast