Community Member

Default Magical Defenses?

Here's my level 6 Fighter: 52 PRR, and 71 % chance to be missed...3/- DR from bolstering plate, and 85% fort as well as 13 SR...and 42 AC without going into Stalwart well as a Stoneskin proc from my new Greater Stalwart trinket.

But there's a problem. Even using level appropriate energy resistance potions, I am still getting owned by every lightning bolt/trap/hold person using shaman I run across...any suggestions on either equipment or tactics other than using runestones to stun/petrify them, and trip for knockdown?

Is there another way to boost my low saves? I was thinking a resistance cloak, but I can't think of anything other than that off the top of my head.

Any suggestions?

My fix for this exact problem was to TR into a half elf and use the paladin dilletante. Reworked my stats and at cap he now has 50 str 42 con 28 Dex and 30 cha with buffs, gear, and augments. Saves were much better the whole way through leveling and he is much more survivable at cap. Also a nice boost to intimidate. Saves when fully buffed are around 60, 52, 48, something liked that. I'd have to log in to confirm exactly, but I'm much happier with this setup. However, with the enhancement pass coming, dwarves mighty pull ahead again in the tanking arena. We'll have to wait and see.
    Proud Officer of the Guild of the Black Dragon on Sarlona.

Community Member
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Don't get hit by traps

Use protection from energy potions. If you see a electrical trap, drink the appropriate potion before jumping through.

At your level, a spell resistance item will protect you from a lot of stuff. The phiarlan mirror cloak is the easiest item to get.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

This won't be an option on your current life, but for future reference...

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

• Boost your saves: invest in dwarven Spell Defense, pick up Resistance item (+4s are ML:7 IIRC), a Luck item (like VotM which you want anyway for +5% XP), Heroism potions or clickies, Insight bonus.
    • Resist 20 items are ML:7 IIRC, so start shopping for them. In the meantime, energy resist / protection pots or clickies are your friends. Hitting 75 House P favor will let you buy 30-min. buffs, inc. Resist 20. Or get yourself into a large guild with shipbuffs.
    • A Prot. from Evil clickie (e.g., Silver Flame bracers) will grant immunity to some CC spells. A Shield clickie will grant you magic missile immunity. [So does Nightshield, but I don't recall ever seeing any NS clickies.]
    • Change your tactics: exploit line-of-sight by hiding behind doorways, in alcoves, etc. to draw casters to you (casters can't hit what they can't see). When they get close, Trip / Stun casters first. And don't forget a lot of ranged spells can be dodged, so keep moving!