Given the following two choices (that I totally made up), which would you prefer?
- Low-power version of singular new effects (eg: bloodletter, but not greater or superior) get added.
- Spell power shards rebalanced to +90. The +66 recipe we have now would become the +90 recipe with the potential, crafting level and cost unchanged. The lower level duplicate +66 becomes +84, etc... Net result is all dups removed and crafted spell power goes to 90.
- Everything else remains unchanged.
All singular lootgen effects are added, but no composite effects like mauling. Most go to one step below full lootgen, but some (like bloodletter) go to full power. (ie: Superior Bloodletter)
The cost of all this additional crafting pwer is that crafted items are no longer capped at ML20, but instead are capped at the epic level cap. This means +5 holy burst of greater bane becomes ML25, ML23 w/masterful.
Specific thoughts on the new high-power shards:
- Skills to +15
- Stats to the full +8 (lootgen +8 stat items are commonplace)
- Spell power up to +114
- Elemental lore stays capped at major
- Radiance lore added (including major)
- Toughness added
- Healing amp (convalescent) added, lesser to greater (10%, 20% and 30%)
- Exceptional fortification added (10% and 25%)
- +6 Enhancement bonus is added
- Bloodletter/Heartseeker/Ribcracker added in all variants, from lesser to superior.
- Paralyzing is added, but not improved paralyzing
- Insta-kill shards (vorpal, banishing, smiting, disruption) are added
- 2d6 elemental prefixes (caustic, blazing, etc...) added, but not their 3d6 versions
- 2d6 alignment prefixes (absolute law, etc...) added, but not their 3d6 versions
- Light (brilliance, coruscating, etc..) and force (force, impellent, etc...) added, again capped at 2d6
- Radiance suffix added
I was speculating on how I would update the crafting system if I were given free reign, and it occurs to me that I think I'd vote for the second option despite hating the loss of the ML20 hard cap. It seems a reasonable price to pay, though. Imagine crafting a +6 Banishing of Greater Elemental Bane ele beater? Or a +6 Absolute Chaos adamantine of Smiting w/red augment of good? Sure they'd (eventually) be ML28, but I think I'd dig that.
Which direction would you go?
EDIT: And naturally, based on the direction Turbine is going, these high-power recipes would have astral shards instead of purifieds as an ingredient.