Default Primal Avatar - Maximizing Avatar of Nature

Hello, I have been poking around with avatar of nature on my druid and sometimes I do great damage and half a dozen giant skellies lie dead at my... roots... and other times i go through the whole 30 spirit and barley kill a mob. So I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my damage from avatar of nature on a 17druid/3monk split.

So far I have found that these work in avatar form:
    Cleave
    stunning fist
    Lay waist
    damage boost
    Improved crit: blundging

These do not work in avatar form:
    Momentum swing
    spells or spell like abilities

I'm assuming that avatar of nature works similar to the druid animal forms where it replaces twf/thf attack sequence with its own but i have no information on that. Does anyone have any information on how to maximize the damage? Feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to post.

PS. From my testing earthquake is the only spell that gives spirit over its entire duration, every other spell seams to be a fire and forget 1 time spirit boost.

EDIT: hey dev's if you read this, you should add primal avatar to the prefix options, it is a real destiny.

In most ways you are fighting 'unarmed' while in Avatar form, which is indeed similar to Druid wolf and bear forms.

Default Good info here

Thanks much, Vargouille and OP.

I've asked these questions in other Primal Avatar threads but no one seemed to have done any conclusive testing, so this is very useful.

OP: what do you mean by "add prefix options?"

+1 rep
    Character Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    In most ways you are fighting 'unarmed' while in Avatar form, which is indeed similar to Druid wolf and bear forms.
    Thanks for the info.

I should change my class to favoredev, its the first time i have gotten a reply from a developer.

@SealedInSong: when you post in this from you can chose to give your form post a prefix or header, The options list various destinies. Primal Avatar is not an available option to give a post.

Following the post from vargouille, if we assume that this works the same a bear and wolf the we can extrapolate.
    Anything that would work on handwraps should work in tree form, including things like tower rings and the cove gloves. Cleave, greater cleave, whirlwind should also all work (hehe that would be fun to try). Power attack should only give you 5 damage, shield feats and possible natural fighting should give you double strike bonuses.

Haste and haste boost should speed up your attack but this may not be true because haste like effects increase the actual attack animation which may not have any affect in avatar of nature.

One unfortunate aspect of avatar is it returns you to human form. So for example if your in water elemental with all your jummy water buffs after using avatar you have to enter water elemental form then recast all your buffs.

Please share any experiences you have with avatar of nature