Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Russ View Post
    Melee: \ˈmā-ˌlā\ . Does not sound like "mealy."

Tome: \ˈtōm\. This is not pronounced like the word "tomb."

Alacrity: \ə-ˈla-krə-tē\. Jeesy creesy, I can't even say some of the things I hear.

Am I missing anything?
    LOL It's not just Ghallanda. They're like that on Sarlona, and I really have to catch myself to resist correcting them in the spirit of group cooperation with the tome thing.

I used to play pen and paper with a dm that kept talking about meleels. I didn't know what a meleel was, and he asked me if I was stupid. Then wrote out Melee. And I told him, no, but he was. It was not a friendly turtle moment, I'm a wee bit ashamed. LOL
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Ghaelii - It's pronounced like Kelly, and is simply a Celtic spelling of that name.
    There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    No longer do I have characters on G-Land but let me butt in with...

I get rather annoyed when people mis-pronounce obvious Character names - Specifically:

Nyszsa of Sarlona - The amount of times I've been called Nicer is ridiculous!
    It rhymes with Miss NOT Mice!

Jelina of Cannith - The J is Silent/Soft! - Pronounce Yel- leena!

I also get more than slightly peeved at these:

Enochpagett of Cannith being shortened in Party chat to Eno!
    Allanaira of Cannith being shortened to Allan!
    Lieuk of Cannith being shortened to Lie!

Here we go - When I shorten a name in party chat I actually look at said name {and character}!

Shorten Enoch to Noch if u like or even simply to E! - Eno just doesn't work!
    Allanaira is quite clearly a Female Name on a Female Elf! - Lose the N when shortening!
    Lieuk is pronounced Luke!

If I see a name that I cannot be sure of how to pronounce I feel it's only polite to ask before mutilating it!
    You know, I have the same problem with some of my characters. for example...

as;ldkjfa;liksdjfa;lskdjfsl

people shorten that to "as" all the time. I never understand why, it seems pretty obvious to me.

204908eryuoihsdfoha9sdyg

for some reason, they call me "g". that's just stupid. it doens't even rhyme with "g".

≡↓♂╓Θ█

people don't even try with that. just makes me sad for the state of the game.

Community Member

If you're not sure - Take the Word in it's entirety!

It's usually pretty obvious how it would be pronounced!
    I won't have somebody who speaks a language in which "Worcester" is pronounced "Wooster", or in which "Leicester" is pronounced "Lester" lecture people about "obvious" pronunciation.

Maybe I failed a sarcasm check but have you ever tried to learn a foreign language? French for example? I bet it was totally obvious how everything was pronounced when you looked at the words in their entirety.
    Last edited by Micron; 03-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Community Member

Now I'm not having a go at the Norwegion Language here - Roald Dahl was Born in Wales!

If Norwegions pronounce his surname differently then that's their prerogative - Being a completely different language!
    So if you were born in Norway to English parents, you'd expect your name to be pronounced according to Norwegian pronunciation rules. Right?

(Again, I'm hoping I'm just failing to get some linguistic lulz on your part.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

I hate it when people shorten my toons name, I mean Assurian Holepuncher (Ash your ian whole pun cher) is to regal to shorten amirite? You should hear some shortened versions.

How to pronounce Hamburger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvU0bFtmh8

And how to Pronounce Nietzsche:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUB885Pun0
    Sé que soy un irresponsable y un mal profesional, y puede que esté desaprovechando la oportunidad de mi vida. Lo sé, pero tengo una tonter?*a en el coco: no me gusta tomarme el DDO como un trabajo. Si lo hiciera no ser?*a yo. Sólo juego por divertirme.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

How to pronounce....

Fyresupport: "HAhahahahahahahhaafiresavantomgnoob"

Jarlyn: "Ohnonotthatoneagain"

Dandonk: "IwonderifherememberstohealTHIStime"

Danfus: "WhenwillDaneverlearnhecan'tplaywizzies"

See, easy and straightforward
    It's definitely an N-word.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartywinz View Post
    I hate it when people shorten my toons name, I mean Assurian Holepuncher (Ash your ian whole pun cher) is to regal to shorten amirite? You should hear some shortened versions.
    Not Az-wee-pay? Or this?

Substitute Teacher
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I won't have somebody who speaks a language in which "Worcester" is pronounced "Wooster", or in which "Leicester" is pronounced "Lester" lecture people about "obvious" pronunciation.

Maybe I failed a sarcasm check but have you ever tried to learn a foreign language? French for example? I bet it was totally obvious how everything was pronounced when you looked at the words in their entirety.
    {Please read entire post before responding and remember context!}

Worcester and Leicester as Cities have been around over 1000 years!

And knowledge of the pronunciation of one gives you the other.

See also: Bicester, Frocester, Rocester and Towcester.

As for French - I spent 3 Years learning French at School Before the dumb Curriculum at the time at my School insisted I also take German! {I was NOT an A Student in French {C+ was more like it}.
    I did a year of German and French together then got to choose one of the two for my GCSEs - I chose French! {4 years beats 1}
    But I had fallen too far behind after that one year of trying to learn not 1 but 2 foreign languages!
    That first GCSE year we also did 2-3 months of Japanese which didn't help either!

I've been to France 3 times {1 as a toddler, 1 with School - Both to Normandy with trips to Paris* - and 1 to Brittany aged 16} and Hated it 2 out of 3 {Subjective opinion - I apologize to the French!}.

*The easiest example of a difference in pronunciation between English and French I can think of!

When learning that language I found the big problems were the turn around of sentences and phrases AND the insistence on Masculine/Feminine!
    NOT Pronunciation!

Now of course English and French have a lot in common despite the differences thanks to certain Historical people - English and Norwegian have much less in Common {except possibly in certain Northern areas - and then how close are Norwegian and Danish actually?}.

And yes - I would pronounce my name {if born and raised in Norway} the way Norwegians pronounce that name simply because of being born and raised in that country!
    The same would apply if I was born and raised in any country despite my ancestry!

The person who mentioned the Leroy Leroy thing actually made the best argument against what I wrote btw!
    But again I'd like to ask you to look at that name in it's entirety and tell me you'd even consider pronouncing it Lee-roy Lee-roy rather than Lee-roy Le-roy {I don't subscribe to the La-roy thing btw}.

There's a Famous actor by the name of Ralph Fiennes whose pronunciation of his own first name got a lot of laughs in England when he first hit the scene! {he was seen as being ridiculously posh!}.
    We've grown used to it over the past 25 years or so though.

But then again - I live in Staffordshire {have done all my life apart from 6 months in Neath near Swansea} and I only have to go 20 Miles North or so to start hearing Cookery Book pronounced Coook-ery Boook!

So Pronunciation is a strange thing!

Still - If you're not certain about pronunciation it's polite to ask before you start mangling peoples character names!
    And when shortening pls look at the full name {and sex of said character}!

Real men pronounce it AYtch Pee... not HAYtch Pee

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    How the heck do you pronounce "Chrucher?"
    The easiest way to pronounce it is to pronounce it the Belgian way, but then again, I don't think you would be able to pronounce it that way. The problem with this word for you is that we pronounce "Ch" in a way that isn't used in a single English word as far as I know.
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

TOME is not pronounced 'toe-may'
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

Community Member

obvious
    This word doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.
    Nyszsa of Sarlona
    I'd call you Nizzy and say squelch me if you dont' like it.
    Until I see some proof that the character is Spanish, it's gel-EE-nah.
    Enochpagett of Cannith being shortened in Party chat to Eno!
    Yeah, that really should just be "En", or "Emo".
    Allanaira of Cannith being shortened to Allan!
    Alley-opp it is.
    Lieuk of Cannith being shortened to Lie!
    No, I'd stick with "Lie".

Allanaira is quite clearly a Female Name on a Female Elf! - Lose the N when shortening!
    No. For all I know, Allan is a common nickname for female elves.
    Lieuk is pronounced Luke!
    Looks like LIE-ook to me.
    I stand by it: you're confused about what "obvious" means.
    And when shortening pls look at the full name {and sex of said character}!
    "Please". And no. Because I just don't care that much. In a tabletop game? Sure. But I'm here to invade creatures' homes, rob and kill them, not help other indulge in their little fantasies.

Lich - like ***** or itch

Lick is also acceptable if you hit it with some throat like zee germans.

Lye-ch ... nope, only Madaz gets away with that because he's too nice and fun to play w/ to call him out on it :P

Lish - nope.
    Like - nope.

but I pronounce it Litch
    --

Also Voltelin - Volt is an OK nickname but it's Vol-telleen, round O, short ee, it's fun in it's many pronunciations

---
    Alacrity is a big one - uh-LACK-ritty
    Lich - Lichclaw - Lichdust - Lichfate - Lichgaze - Lichrot - Lichsoul - Lichvault
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    DDOCast Contributor http://www.ddocast.com/
    http://www.twitch.tv/g_lich

Quote Originally Posted by chester99 View Post
    You know, I have the same problem with some of my characters. for example...

as;ldkjfa;liksdjfa;lskdjfsl

people shorten that to "as" all the time. I never understand why, it seems pretty obvious to me.

204908eryuoihsdfoha9sdyg

for some reason, they call me "g". that's just stupid. it doens't even rhyme with "g".

≡↓♂╓Θ█

people don't even try with that. just makes me sad for the state of the game.
    the last one actually made me lol

Community Member

Boring long story

<snip>
    I speak 4 languages (English, French, German, Russian) and read 5 (+ Latin) to a pretty good level.

Most scandinavians I know speak far better english than you do their language.

Push comes to shove, don't criticise other peoples pronunciation of words. As some dude said, some letter combinations just don't have an appropriate sound in some languages.
    Walchek @ Ghallanda

Norwegion
    Norwegions
    Norwegions, Dalmations, Alsations. You Brits and Yanks are infuriatingly useless at your mothertongue and yet presume to preach on the subject.

English is happy to steal words from other languages, and you commonly retain the original pronounciation. If that applies to words like melee (may lay) then why not the name given by Norwegian emigrants?
    Last edited by stoerm; 04-13-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    Until I see some proof that the character is Spanish, it's gel-EE-nah.
    thinking about other names(in english) starting with J i think...oh wait, i can't talk about that

what i can say is that in spanish there's only 1 name, starting with J(in fact the name isn't spanish, maybe comes from english) what english people can pronounce, Jennifer, yes, some spanish ppl like to use foreign names, it's cooler i guess(so maybe there're more foreign words/names that can be pronounced soft, but they aren't spanish)

rest of names/words that start with J(or G if these words starts with "Ge" or "Gi", always talking about spanish words), i'm pretty sure there's no english sound close to it, no way, the position of the tongue against the palate is closer to german(in fact google told me that the sound i'm talking about, in german is "ch", i know it's not exactly the same depending the word, but in spain the pronunciation isn't the same in 2 places rofl)

to conclude: there's no reason to say the J is silent in spanish(in fact is quite opposite), stick to the languages you manage
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Default mememe

i have one. scimitar. i dont how many times ive heard people calling it a skimitar. rather then the way its supposed to sound. sim i tar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12