Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Construct Essence? Thoughts?

Alright, fleshy artificers - what's the read-out on construct essence esp. for in-combat self healing? Not enough to bother with?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I did a LR before EDs. I decided not to take CE based on "informed" opinions. I didn't last 3 days without doing a feat exchange to get it back.

IMO, you should be throwing skill points into Repair every level. After all, you will need to repair your clunker, and yourself, and you can be the WF cleric. And it modifies your rust spells.

If you do that, you'll find you repair nicely. By the time you get Reconstruct, you'll never want to be without it.

Keep a supply of Mending pots and pop one before doing extensive repairs on yourself and your dog.

The biggest problem with Construct Essence is in, say (Epic) Elite VoN 6. It makes it hard for you to be healed well enough by the mass heals/cures to stay in.

I imagine some form of healing amp item might help with that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I did a LR before EDs. I decided not to take CE based on "informed" opinions. I didn't last 3 days without doing a feat exchange to get it back.

IMO, you should be throwing skill points into Repair every level. After all, you will need to repair your clunker, and yourself, and you can be the WF cleric. And it modifies your rust spells.

If you do that, you'll find you repair nicely. By the time you get Reconstruct, you'll never want to be without it.

Keep a supply of Mending pots and pop one before doing extensive repairs on yourself and your dog.

The biggest problem with Construct Essence is in, say (Epic) Elite VoN 6. It makes it hard for you to be healed well enough by the mass heals/cures to stay in.

I imagine some form of healing amp item might help with that.
    Did I miss something with the Repair skill or is this misinformation?

-25% heal amp is significant, but if it causes this much problem, you're gonna have more issues than that. If you're a WF (or WF like) relying on positive heals from others, such as the case given, it's 'healthy' to have some additional heal amp. That -25% can easily be turned around to be positive 50% + some. With +30,20,10 heal amp added to scroll mastery, my Jug scrolls Heal at 400+, where a Reconstruct scrolled gives a paltry 262.

It seems most responses given are intended for non-EE content or players extremely adept in not taking EE damage. Self healing in EE content is a different animal. You can take your Concentration skill (not that it's WAI anyway) and throw it out the window. UMD healing is a challenge. If you need a heal, chances are you just took damage and are likely gonna take some more damage. 6 second cooldown on scroll with failed Concentration check = not an option for EE. Likewise, a maxed pot AOE heal is not enough to handle incoming EE damage.

So, how about a quickened Reconstruct with Construct Essence? Is 250 HP every cooldown enough to keep you alive in EE content? My guess is, this one +Really+ depends on the player.

Cheers
    Last edited by Xyy; 03-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xyy View Post
    Did I miss something with the Repair skill or is this misinformation?
    Fairly sure that its misinformation.

At a guess, he actually meant putting enhancement points into Repair manipulation spell boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyy View Post
    Self healing in EE content is a different animal.
    Staying alive in EE is about aggro management & damage mitigation.
    Without either, you'll die, no matter what self-healing you have.

Con-Ess+Reconstruct will be enough self-healing in non-EE.

If you have good aggro management skills, it'll be enough for EE & heroic elite.
    If not, you won't survive 100 damage/hit mobs in EE by healing 200 HP every 5 seconds. And don't expect healers to happily heal you once they see you have negative healing amp.

Some builds will have high enough mix of AC, PRR & dodge to mitigate EE mob DPS.
    Your average repeater artificer will not.

Con-Ess is a feat for the poor or lonely.
    If you can't afford wands, pots & scrolls, the feat will be helpful.
    If you're a soloist, the feat will help you out.

Otherwise from my perspective*, Con-Ess requires too much investment for too little return. Epic destinies have provided even more self-healing options that make Con-Ess even less appealing (renewal, healing spring, cocoon, fast healing).

* — my main = fleshie artificer that I only play in Raids and in EE;
    my previous main = a 3rd life healer.

personally i have found on my meleeficer that construct essences is great for lvling but once you can twist healing cacoon and slot in a devotion gem or item it suffices for in combat needs while heal scrolls will top you off between fights.

Quote Originally Posted by buddabopp View Post
    personally i have found on my meleeficer that construct essences is great for lvling but once you can twist healing cacoon and slot in a devotion gem or item it suffices for in combat needs while heal scrolls will top you off between fights.
    Pretty much this. I enjoyed the burst healing from construct essence until level 20. I found it less useful after 20, but I still haven't found a better feat to swap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Pretty much this. I enjoyed the burst healing from construct essence until level 20. I found it less useful after 20, but I still haven't found a better feat to swap for it.
    Past two arti's have been Helves with healing amp... really felt fragile from ~12 till about idk, 17-18... then devotion items, hamp, and UMD'ing scrolls started synergizing and from there thru 25 I was fine except against big bosses - then I hadda befriend the nearest cleric.

Community Member

With increased caster level for wands, potions and scrolls there is no need for it. Slap some healing amp on yourself while you are at it and you have similar burst healing. I always thought CE is a trap, just like Improved fortification feat for WF.

If you are used to healing with scrolls, you don't need it. But, umd lag... You really, really want to be able to use a heal scroll without swapping gear(not all that hard to do on an arti). You should be able to jump to the side, swap to and use the scroll and switch back to your weapon before landing.

I loved it on my arty lives. Sure its half strength now, but that uninterruptable quickened reconstruct saved my bacon more than once. There has also been hints that enhancements to improve it are on the way. Its one of the big reasons I'm still torn on my last life (Rogue vs artificer).
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    I loved it on my arty lives. Sure its half strength now, but that uninterruptable quickened reconstruct saved my bacon more than once. There has also been hints that enhancements to improve it are on the way. Its one of the big reasons I'm still torn on my last life (Rogue vs artificer).
    I can totally use it for something else, but I'm looking at spinning one of my characters (current rogue) into an arti - but if I'm mixing it up more I want better self healing.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Alright, fleshy artificers - what's the read-out on construct essence esp. for in-combat self healing? Not enough to bother with?
    I did an arti life. I found construct essence to be a waste of a feat... throwing maximized cure serious pots around was enough! :P
    No longer reading the Forums.

My order of preference for self-healing on a fleshie artificer:
    ---------

1.) Cocoon — uninterruptible SLA with a buffer that will give you time to scroll cast heal

2.) Heal scroll — if you have to cocoon yourself, you'll probably end up need a heal scroll. During heroic levels, use ablative to help make your scroll casts uninterruptible. With Wand/Scroll Mastery 4, heal scrolls land for 350+.

3.) Toss a pot — in all the hours I've played, I'm the only artificer that I've ever seen throw a pot. On my half-elf artificer, this heals 150-200 HP. These cast so fast that I've never had a cast interrupted.

4.) Whip yourself! — uninterruptible heal for 50-150 HP.

5.) Drink yourself better — uninterruptible and can be use underwater. If you can stomach the silver flame potions, you get 250 HP per swig. Otherwise, you'll get 25-80 HP back.

6.) ConEss + Reconstruct — this heals 75 HP and can be interrupted. Fully geared, with as much invested into construct healing as possible and you'll get an uninterruptible 200 HP heal.

Community Member

I think it ultimately comes down to a solo vs group question...if you're mostly solo, I'd go ahead and pick it up just for the versatility of not being reliant on hireling and/or scroll healing. Humans maybe can get away without it, with healing amp and wand healing instead...plus Reconstruct also gives you stacking Haste, doesnt it?

In groups, you can rely on healers a little moreso, so you probably want to have full amp there.

Also, if you're just looking for the Arti past life, and you're not going deep past 20, I'd take it, again for the versatility of having Repair and Healing, and for how much it makes things simpler in Heroic.

I can't imagine not taking it on a fleshy arti, yes you could scroll yourself ext, but when something is really going wrong in a quest do you really have time for swapping to a scroll and maybe failing a concentration check? I get 200 or so hp back with a quickened reconstruct on my fleshy arti and use pdk gloves for healing amp to make life easier on the healer if I'm with a melee stack.

Community Member

My human artificer uses heal scrolls for self healing, and has improved recovery/wand & scroll mastery. The cost of scrolls with haggle is pretty low. The only downside really is you have to swap back to your repeater after casting a scroll, but that is not too big of a deal. In a standard party, CE is too much of a penalty in my opinion.

I have one artie with it and one without. On the artie with it, I enjoyed it a lot - it topped me off in fights w/and w/out healers present. If the party has a sub-par healer, then reconstructs will keep you alive. If the party has a good healer, then your construct essence negatively impact his help.

On my artie without, I use PDK gloves only for heal amp. The curative admixture is good, but I don't find it fast enough. Heal scrolls and wands are annoying to swap to in the midst of battle - doing so involves running around, trying to avoid damage while boosting your own hp up to a level where you can kill the baddies first.

The endless bottle of rum at full tier is a great "oh, ****!" button. And, I have twisted in Healing Spring - used at the start of combat or as an "oh ****" works very well most of the time. Sometimes, though, you get really crappy healing (like 30 points).

After reading this thread, I'm going to see if I can twist in Rejuvenation Cocoon, but that will take some time.

On my artie w/out Construct Essence, I deal a lot more damage b/c the enhancement points that I would spend in the Reconstruct spell line are spent elsewhere. But the Construct Essence one has a nice one-button reconstruct - it all boils down to, can you kill what's in front of you fast enough, or do you have to rely upon healing and take more time to kill? I have grown fond of greater damage output and don't mind the extra button pushing.

its not needed if you pump your healing amp up and your wand and scroll mastery,my scrolls hit for close to 500

use a devotion item for cure admixture and healing spring,a major lore item is also nice for those.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Crows View Post
    its not needed if you pump your healing amp up and your wand and scroll mastery,my scrolls hit for close to 500

use a devotion item for cure admixture and healing spring,a major lore item is also nice for those.
    I agree that it becomes unnecessary after L20 when the EDs are accessible. I do think it is a nice-to-have while leveling 1-20 though. I could never find another feat I wanted in lieu of it since I don't like swapping to heal scrolls when I'm in the middle of combat. Players who have no problems with that would probably find construct essence redundant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast