Thread: Permadeath Feat

Default Permadeath Feat

Ok, its not really a perma death. But how about a feat that a character has at creation that rewards you with additional xp, hitpoint, spell point, etc. The first time you die, its lost forever.

It would make leveling a bit more itense and fun, IMO.
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Sounds like a new griefing option. Player X joins a group, charges ahead and drags XXX mobs back resulting in a party wipe. Woo woo, 5 angry players who've lost their feat.

Soooo, no, Just plain no.
    D.W.A.T: (Now with Non-Dwarf support)
    Founder of the (D.W.A.T) Elf Rebellion and Supporter of the H (alfling). I(ntel). T(eam).

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

1) As mentioned, lots of griefing potential.

2) Would turn off new players very quickly when they die the first time.

So no thank you.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Could possibly work as a reward (Get it after doing PD) rather than a penalty (Lose it if you die).

Make it to level 10 without dieing, get X
    Make it to level 20 without dieing, get 2X

A bonus to "Lore" feats would make sense, if only they were actually useful.
    Thelanis, CureLite Bottling Co:
    Nen (Barb/Ranger, Founder) / Emeril (Cleric, Founder) / Kraxkit (Dex Ranger) /
    Klyde (DPS Barbarian) / Sojourne (Rogue, Trapsmith) / and many others

not signed

too much griefing ability
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Community Member

What I would like is an actual death counter. Something that lists every quest, how many times it was repeated (and attempted), how many deaths.

Would be pretty cool.

I think it would make more sense to offer it as a past life feat for someone who NEVER died while leveling from 1-20. Even then people would find a cheesy loophole and just run EZMunny quests to 20 if it was actually worth anything beyond a title or granting something like the Diehard feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    What I would like is an actual death counter. Something that lists every quest, how many times it was repeated (and attempted), how many deaths.

Would be pretty cool.
    A death counter would be cool. A possible solution for PD players instead of a server or PD flag would be to make the death counter visible upon examination by another player. Or visible in party/guild chat when you type a particular command (no not /deathcount).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post

Would be pretty cool.
    There is the beginnings of one in the Monster Manual. It shows you how many times you've been killed by any given mob type.

I would like to see it expanded upon, too.

Wait, are you asking for more challenge, or more reward for being uber?
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Community Member

/Not Signed, terrible idea.

What is it with your PD players? You want your own servers, you want special feats, isn't segregating yourself from the rest of the player base enough? "Hey, we're about to run X quest, do you want to come along?" "I can't, I'm permadeath."

Add to that that the game just isnt structured for this kind of change. You know the part in phase 5 of The Shroud where everyone dies? That gets counted as a death. The game engine is not built to account for all of the different "death types" that your Permadeath rulesets account for.

The great thing permadeath as it currently sits is you're not hurting anyone. You have a self-imposed ruleset that you maintain, with no impact on the rest of the population. Right now, it does not effect me one wit if you play that way. I think permadeath is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, but I don't care, because it doesn't effect me.

Until you start trying to devote time and resources to your niche play style. Cut it out. Its annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Until you start trying to devote time and resources to your niche play style. Cut it out. Its annoying.
    I'm not a permadeath player and never have been. I was not thinking a game breaker xp/HP buff that you would carry on into epic level. I was thinking a token xp incentive to make it fun trying not to die, particualrly early in life. Maybe it could just be a badge thing with no xp incentive.

Anyhow, it was just a thought. Didn't mean to annoy anyone....jeeezz
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

would give people a reason to type /death count
    i find myself and others saying "glad im not paying for this ****" vip from ftp beta till 10.9.2012 fix it...fix it Now!

Community Member

Too much griefer potential, this would be a bad idea.

However, how about a lesser version of it--something like the bravery bonus streaks? The more quests at level you run (and all raids are considered to be at level) the more XP you get.