The upcoming release of the Shard Exchange to me is curious, not surprising since many MMO's already have similar systems and its a system we will be seeing in more games in the future. This is part of the evolution of these types of games.
That being said, I"d like to hear what Turbines thoughts are on this system. I think this is an important enough change that Turbine, should share its long term thoughts on this. And how this is a benefit to players and the game (beyond the obvious financial gains by Turbine)
- How does this benefit players Now, more than the current AH system?
- What plans are there to control inflation, other than punitive fee's?
- Astral shards are pretty uncommon at the moment (unless you have bought a lot of Otto's boxes), rare in game and a pitiful few from Monster Manual III, how else are we going to acquire quantities of Astral Shards in game other than through the DDO Store?
- Currently, the in game uses of Astral shards is small (in quest repairs, gold seal hirelings from vendors), what other uses are planned for Astral Shards?
- Will we be able to convert in game currency (plat) into Astral Shards?
Answering these questions will go a long way to helping players like me, understand what Turbine's goals are. There is nothing new or innovative about this system, there is no reason to keep it locked up and away from players. This is a major fundamental change to the game and I think some openness on Turbine's end is needed.
Sadly Turibne, you have already done what you normally like to do, toss it on Lamannia with little or no warning, ask for feedback and then never respond. All many players want is an explanation as to why this new system, won't make everyone happy, but it would be a good start.