Community Member

Default Leveling crafting tips?

I'm a little flummoxed at how much it apparently takes to max out crafting. I'm sitting around levels 40-50 on my main, who's broken down basically every item I've ever got that I havent put on the AH, and I've been hovering around those levels for a long time now.

Is there something I'm not getting? How do I ever acquire enough essences to grind myself up to 80-90s where I can start producing items for alts/sale/etc?

Community Member

The only way I found to do it is to not care about it. Play the game, deconstruct things, then every other month or whatever when the essences start overflowing out of my bags go have an hour (or so) craft-a-thon. Up to something like 110 / 105 / 110 now. Also, I'm pretty sure TRing resets the counters on what you crafted, so make sure to grind some things out before you TR...then you can grind on those recipes a little more again the next life.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I'm a little flummoxed at how much it apparently takes to max out crafting. I'm sitting around levels 40-50 on my main, who's broken down basically every item I've ever got that I havent put on the AH, and I've been hovering around those levels for a long time now.

Is there something I'm not getting? How do I ever acquire enough essences to grind myself up to 80-90s where I can start producing items for alts/sale/etc?
    1. Crunch high level items. maximized bank space helps so you can pass everything to your crafter. He gets crafting xps per item crunched (and some plat). The higher level the item, the more xps up to a max of 5xps per crunch. +10 and higher skill items, +5 and higher stat items, +5 enhancement items, any banish/vorpal/smiting/disruption items will give you 5 xps per crunch.

2. Is your crafter a human artificer? Definitely make him one. A L20 human arti with the Dragonmark of Making gets +20 to all crafting levels.

3. Craft in sessions. After collecting several hundred (or better 500+) of each greater, and around 1000 of each lesser essence, drink a crafting xp pot and burn through all of your essences crafting whatever shards will give you the most xp/essence even if you can't use the shard for anything but re-crunching it for essences later.

4. Bounce back and forth between the bound shard machine and the unbound shard machine. At various crafting levels, the unbound shards will give you more xps/essence than the bound shards and vice versa.

5. Send EVERYTHING to your crafter to crunch that isn't some rare AH wonder you'll get lots of plat for. EVERYTHING. At the end of every play session just move everything to your bank, then move it to your crafter until his inventory is full, then crunch it all.

6. If you are in a guild convince your guildies and friends to pass their essences to you in exchange for free crafting. Some of them will be happy to let you bite the bullet so they don't have to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    4. Bounce back and forth between the bound shard machine and the unbound shard machine. At various crafting levels, the unbound shards will give you more xps/essence than the bound shards and vice versa.
    Awesome, I didnt know the Bound shards were a separate set of items...I just thought Bound cost more and were higher level

I dont have a crafting alt, I just craft on my main right now...but if I want to start grinding TP on alts, it'll be nice to send them a couple Holy of Pure Goods to twink them off right

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Awesome, I didnt know the Bound shards were a separate set of items...I just thought Bound cost more and were higher level

I dont have a crafting alt, I just craft on my main right now...but if I want to start grinding TP on alts, it'll be nice to send them a couple Holy of Pure Goods to twink them off right
    Actually, it is generally the unbound that cost more ingredients and require higher crafting levels to make.

All of the replies were dead on. Let me add, if you have any thoughts of TRing, you keep your levels and it resets the shard crafting decay. You will get more bang for your essences. I personally would keep at 60-75 percent chance while crafting shards. The exp you get at 60 is much more than any loss you get from failure.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

ABout TR : even a LR reset your list of 'crafted shards'
    So if you plan to do a LR, craft some (cheap) shards for xp, then LR, then craft the same shards for more xp !

And the best tip : craft shard of potential (bound and unbound) with crude vials

Crude vials are cheap (around 2PP for 25) and can be purchased at Harbor vendor (don't remember wich favor House you need)
    Then craft shard of potential until you get 0 xp from them (available in elemental/divine/arcane)

This usually give you 3 ranks in each crafting every 10 levels for a few plats

Get 50 favour with House Cannith if you're able to; you can then buy crafting success boosters, and have a better shot at higher-level (and higher XP) shards.

Use trap parts instead of essences to craft Shards of Potential. They drop like candy (especially Fire Trap parts) and you shouldn't have any trouble convincing your local trapper to pass them over. You can even split stacks of the same type for unbound shards of potential, instead of using three different types.

Oh, and don't bother shooting for level 150. You can craft everything available right now at level 140 with a 50% chance. Add in a success booster (and maybe a couple of tries) and you're golden.
    Last edited by CheeseMilk; 03-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.

"Use trap parts instead of essences to craft Shards of Potential" YOU SIR, win!! i soo never tried that
    i find myself and others saying "glad im not paying for this ****" vip from ftp beta till 10.9.2012 fix it...fix it Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    ABout TR : even a LR reset your list of 'crafted shards'
    So if you plan to do a LR, craft some (cheap) shards for xp, then LR, then craft the same shards for more xp !

And the best tip : craft shard of potential (bound and unbound) with crude vials

Crude vials are cheap (around 2PP for 25) and can be purchased at Harbor vendor (don't remember wich favor House you need)
    Then craft shard of potential until you get 0 xp from them (available in elemental/divine/arcane)

This usually give you 3 ranks in each crafting every 10 levels for a few plats
    Well whaddya know! I will definitely try that.