Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    I do not understand how Althea (16 FvS) and Albus (20 FvS) get so little love. They are the only ones I ever use, and they do their job. Every hireling that uses Mass Heal (including Albus) necessarily has a critical weakness because they do not understand the concept of Quicken, but he is still far, far superior to Wyoh's 200 some odd HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Ok, learning here so keep it civil

    Why are you grabbing a DW hireling (read below for my misunderstanding)?

    I am trying to think of those level ranges and why you need DW when DB works just as good. I know DW blocks negative levels but the only NPC's that both kill you and cast negative levels are Beholders and DW is not effective vs. them. The only chain that I can think of that spams Negative levels (which makes DW better) is the Coin Lord Plaza chain. My other thought would be Sands pack, but I see less and less people doing them, saving them for ED farming. Alas, making DW at this level range less valuable (I.E. It's there if you happen to run Sands/Plaza, but the spell is useless more often than not). Necro II/III is in this level range but casters tend to spam DPS spells, not negative level spells. And BB/AoE is so juice against tons of NPC's trying to surround you.
    Not only level drain but negative damage (e.g. Harm and Necrotic Ray) and stat drain (e.g. Necro Shadows that no-save kill you if they drain your Strength far enough). Death Ward is a critical part of soloing. Relying on Tangleroot's Visors is, to put it bluntly, a relic of the level cap 10 days. 7 minutes doesn't cut it, and caster level 7 doesn't cut it vs. Dispel.

    .

    To be honest I do not understand the concept of bringing a divine hireling for offense (Blade Barrier, Destruction, et al). What characters are you (general) running that struggle with both offense and self-healing?

  2. #22
    Community Member Nickademus42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Khyber
    Posts
    333

    Default

    While I'm not a fan of healer hirelings that do dps, I believe a lot of the hirelings mentioned as beneficial spam CC (command, cometfall, holy smite, etc.). This is helpful on a melee as it contributes to damage mitigation. And it's nice to have a hireling doing something other than standing in back, dying, or playing patty cake in a trap.

    At later levels, the dps and instakills help with removing the trash so the player can focus on the actual dangerous mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    He can, he just thinks Elminster is a tool.

  3. #23
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Nice thread.

    I'd like to add one thing though. I prefer the cleric Klin over his level 19 FvS counterpart Myar. There's a few reasons why.

    First, prior to the heavy nerf to summons that came with MOTU, the Herzou summon was a beast in most content. The Efreeti that Myar summoned did damage, but least face it, most content at the time was fire resistant.

    Second, Klin could rez, while Myar can't. There are certain things I prefer hirelings have. I rather have a Rez on a healer hireling than no rez. I rather have a single Heal over a Mass Cure. I rather have a Deathward than an offensive spell. Others might have other preferences, but that's just me.

  4. #24
    Community Member Thayion516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    To be honest I do not understand the concept of bringing a divine hireling for offense (Blade Barrier, Destruction, et al). What characters are you (general) running that struggle with both offense and self-healing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus42 View Post
    While I'm not a fan of healer hirelings that do dps, I believe a lot of the hirelings mentioned as beneficial spam CC (command, cometfall, holy smite, etc.). This is helpful on a melee as it contributes to damage mitigation. And it's nice to have a hireling doing something other than standing in back, dying, or playing patty cake in a trap.

    At later levels, the dps and instakills help with removing the trash so the player can focus on the actual dangerous mobs.
    Pretty much This. ^^

    Iv never had a damage output problem as far as I know. Iv been soloing elites for quite a while now. I prefer my Hire to assist me with the kill. When we run GH and Larafay walks out with 20-40 kills. Thats 20-40 mobs faster then what I would have done without the help. When Greater command hits 3 mobs and i get the +50% damage boost and start critting stuff for 300+ in Vale... thank you Hireling. Faster Kills = More XP = Less Healing Required. If a Hireling is standing there doing nothing as I take on 3-5 bad guys, waiting for me to get to 75% health, it's lazy IMO.

  5. #25
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I've found Defensive mode to be mainly useless - I only ever switch to defensive to lose the regular glitch where hireling becomes inattentive {switching immediately back to aggressive}
    I see it as just the opposite. All offensive mode does is cause them to pull agro and get out of posision to be doing what I hire them for, which is to heal. While a slower heal is generally more SP efficient than a fast heal from a hire (they really jump the gun IMO) dieing while they run off to miss things with their mace is worse yet.



    Lvl 20 Hirelings = Wyoh vs Albus
    I can have this argument all day long but I will defend Wyoh to the death!
    She has her foibles and like all hirelings can glitch out at the worst possible times - She's also quite squishy {Augment Summoning makes this a non-issue}.
    BUT she's a heck of a lot faster to heal players than Albus!
    No she doesn't have Deathward BUT DW is no use if you don't get timely heals anyway!

    Plus: Her Implosion actually works well!
    I find the slower heals to be a boon actually. Most hires really over heal. I don't need a 300 point heal spammed on me every time I lose 100 hp's, I need it every time I'm 300 or more hp's down as that makes their SP bar last much longer.

  6. #26
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    I see it as just the opposite. All offensive mode does is cause them to pull agro and get out of posision to be doing what I hire them for, which is to heal. While a slower heal is generally more SP efficient than a fast heal from a hire (they really jump the gun IMO) dieing while they run off to miss things with their mace is worse yet.



    I find the slower heals to be a boon actually. Most hires really over heal. I don't need a 300 point heal spammed on me every time I lose 100 hp's, I need it every time I'm 300 or more hp's down as that makes their SP bar last much longer.
    When I'm 300hp down then I need a Quick heal!

    I do NOT need Albus to start casting Heal Mass because by the time he's done I'm dead!
    And that's without the issue the devs gave us when they played around with the hirelings Heal AI! - Basically that these days if you hit the Heal Me Now button on their bar when they're already in the process of casting any spell you not only don't get healed BUT they also lose the spell they were currently casting {which of course could have beent he very heal you were after BUT you'll never know this either}.

    I've also found that Hires don't really over-heal at all {unless you're running with Multiple Hires when just like Real Player Divines they tend to both hit you at the same time!}.
    In fact I've found that quite a lot of the hires have an incredibly bad HP threshold to start healing you at!
    Many times I've been on 50% or even 40% of my total HP and still had to take more dmg before the hireling decided "Hey maybe I should heal my boss now"
    Many times I've been on 10% or less HP and The hireling has looked at me and gone "Nah you don't need healing yet".

    I also have a pet peeve against Hirelings hitting Unconscious Players with a Cure Light/Poss Un-Metaed Moderate Before hitting Heal!
    Most of the time this simply means player wakes up and instantly gets hit for 30-50 dmg by the closest mob = Dead Player and Hireling who's in the middle of Mass Heal has to be told to res instead!

    Mass Heal {with Hirelings not getting quicken} is a severely bad spell to be Self-cast! - Those Hirelings SHOULD be told to cast Single Target Heal as their go-to spell and have Mass Heal/Mass Cure Crit on their Bars for the player to decide when to use!


    Another thing I don't get {apart from the obvious one of Why the Devs decided EVERY Single Cleric Hireling should have the Exact same Mace with Random Elemental/Force dmg on it - Lvl Relevant} is....
    Why the Devs decided what the Cleric Hirelings needed was Better Melee abilities?
    Yes it is nice that they can do some dmg with their melee weapons now BUT the Devs SHOULD have gone through the Hirelings ONE BY ONE!
    And made them Truly Unique rather than Homogenizing them!

    Fayden Maeleth is a Cleric of the Undying Court {this is heavily mentioned on her description!} - She should be using a Scimitar!
    She Should have been downgraded to Lvl 8! Where the Undying Court Clickie {Raise Dead} would have Been a Huge Bonus!

    On the other hand - Fergus was {just like Fayden actually} before the Update using a Club!
    Giving him the Mace was a GOOD thing!
    He's still a terribad healer hire of course - Even having Restoration doesn't change this {though if you only want the Restoration he's pretty much the only choice at that low a lvl!}.

    The Devs could have pushed Fergus up to Lvl 10 and given him Radiant Servant 1 Prestige {self-cast} to replace Fayden!

  7. #27
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    When I'm 300hp down then I need a Quick heal!

    I do NOT need Albus to start casting Heal Mass because by the time he's done I'm dead!
    And that's without the issue the devs gave us when they played around with the hirelings Heal AI! - Basically that these days if you hit the Heal Me Now button on their bar when they're already in the process of casting any spell you not only don't get healed BUT they also lose the spell they were currently casting {which of course could have beent he very heal you were after BUT you'll never know this either}.

    I've also found that Hires don't really over-heal at all {unless you're running with Multiple Hires when just like Real Player Divines they tend to both hit you at the same time!}.
    In fact I've found that quite a lot of the hires have an incredibly bad HP threshold to start healing you at!
    Many times I've been on 50% or even 40% of my total HP and still had to take more dmg before the hireling decided "Hey maybe I should heal my boss now"
    Many times I've been on 10% or less HP and The hireling has looked at me and gone "Nah you don't need healing yet".

    I also have a pet peeve against Hirelings hitting Unconscious Players with a Cure Light/Poss Un-Metaed Moderate Before hitting Heal!
    Most of the time this simply means player wakes up and instantly gets hit for 30-50 dmg by the closest mob = Dead Player and Hireling who's in the middle of Mass Heal has to be told to res instead!

    Mass Heal {with Hirelings not getting quicken} is a severely bad spell to be Self-cast! - Those Hirelings SHOULD be told to cast Single Target Heal as their go-to spell and have Mass Heal/Mass Cure Crit on their Bars for the player to decide when to use!


    Another thing I don't get {apart from the obvious one of Why the Devs decided EVERY Single Cleric Hireling should have the Exact same Mace with Random Elemental/Force dmg on it - Lvl Relevant} is....
    Why the Devs decided what the Cleric Hirelings needed was Better Melee abilities?
    Yes it is nice that they can do some dmg with their melee weapons now BUT the Devs SHOULD have gone through the Hirelings ONE BY ONE!
    And made them Truly Unique rather than Homogenizing them!

    Fayden Maeleth is a Cleric of the Undying Court {this is heavily mentioned on her description!} - She should be using a Scimitar!
    She Should have been downgraded to Lvl 8! Where the Undying Court Clickie {Raise Dead} would have Been a Huge Bonus!

    On the other hand - Fergus was {just like Fayden actually} before the Update using a Club!
    Giving him the Mace was a GOOD thing!
    He's still a terribad healer hire of course - Even having Restoration doesn't change this {though if you only want the Restoration he's pretty much the only choice at that low a lvl!}.

    The Devs could have pushed Fergus up to Lvl 10 and given him Radiant Servant 1 Prestige {self-cast} to replace Fayden!
    Heh, at level 20 when I'm down 300 hp's I'm starting to think about needing a heal. That said, Al generally defaults to heal rather than mass when defensive and is more on the ball with the heals in that mode, he simply isn't distracted with finding things to fight. He also tends to stay in awareness range better so I don't have to move closer as often to be noticed.

    Self cast mass heal is a bad idea I agree. But that's more a factor of how the code works it seems to me. The code for all hires seems to tie the "on command" heals in as primary or secondary heals for all hires. Self cast mass's seems to come up when their primary heal is on cool down. This is bad when their mass is mass heal as it takes to long to cast so waiting out the cool down would be better. Expecting custom AI, beyond tweaked settings, for every hire is just unreasonable.

    The rest is just nit-picking and unreasonable expectations for a $10-15/month game with a F2P option. They all have the same weapon to keep coding costs down. The same for not having PrE or faith based options available. Hirelings are supposed to fill in when actual player can't be found, or in the case of healbots do a job very few players really want to. They are not supposed to be even close to the equal of a real player.

  8. #28
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Heh, at level 20 when I'm down 300 hp's I'm starting to think about needing a heal. That said, Al generally defaults to heal rather than mass when defensive and is more on the ball with the heals in that mode, he simply isn't distracted with finding things to fight. He also tends to stay in awareness range better so I don't have to move closer as often to be noticed.

    Self cast mass heal is a bad idea I agree. But that's more a factor of how the code works it seems to me. The code for all hires seems to tie the "on command" heals in as primary or secondary heals for all hires. Self cast mass's seems to come up when their primary heal is on cool down. This is bad when their mass is mass heal as it takes to long to cast so waiting out the cool down would be better. Expecting custom AI, beyond tweaked settings, for every hire is just unreasonable.

    The rest is just nit-picking and unreasonable expectations for a $10-15/month game with a F2P option. They all have the same weapon to keep coding costs down. The same for not having PrE or faith based options available. Hirelings are supposed to fill in when actual player can't be found, or in the case of healbots do a job very few players really want to. They are not supposed to be even close to the equal of a real player.
    At Lvl 20 {Pre MotU} None of my characters who hit cap had 500 HP {In fact - http://my.ddo.com/character/sarlona/keltenn/ had 472 when I TRd him!}
    Post MotU and with work getting gear I've managed to push my Battle Cleric {Human}, My Rogue {Drow} and My Shinto {Elf} up into the Mid 400s at Lvl 20-22
    My Barb/Ftr/Ranger - Urik - Has 603 None Raged! {He's probably the only one of my characters who wouldn't need an IMMEDIATE Heal at 300 points down!}.


    And sorry but no - I don't believe my expectations for Hirelings to be unrealistic in the slightest!

    Those Hirelings all had very different weapons before the change!
    The Devs decided to go for the cheap option and put in a package that basically homogenized the Cleric Hirelings!

    Really - How hard would it be for one dev to log onto a Hireling and take it to Kruz for a Respec {He/She could do one hireling per week even!}.
    Then respec Hire {Levelling up or down to fit in better with that hireling's abilities} and Gear up Hire with useful gear for it's level.

    And let's take Fayden as an Example:

    Lvl 10 Cleric Hireling - Elf Follower of the Undying Court!

    Respec her to Lvl 8!
    Put Undying Call on her bar!
    Other 3 Bar Abilities can be: Cure Critical, FoM, Aid Mass.
    Self Cast - Cure Moderate, Searing Light
    Feats: Emp. Healing {always on}, Toughness, Mental Toughness.
    Gear her up with:
    Helm - Sacred Helm {Red Fens}
    Necklace - Marguerite's Necklace {Catacombs - False Life}
    Trinket - Lesser Cunning Trinket {Crystal Cove}
    Cloak - Charisma 4
    Belt - Con 4
    Rings - Sacred Ring, Ring of the Mire {Red Fens}
    Gloves - Dex 4
    Boots - Boots of the Mire {Red Fens}
    Bracers - Str 4
    Armour - Moderate Fort
    Shield - Devotion {Lvl appropriate}
    Weapon - +2 Holy Scimitar of Pure Good

    And she still wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a Real Player! {UI being what it is!}.

    Give all Hirelings permanent Ship Buffs as from a Lvl 70 Ship and they STILL WON'T be the equivalent of a Real Player!

    Now for Fergus:

    Lvl 8 Halfling Cleric Hireling {Currently Useless}!

    Respec him to Lvl 10 {Swap with Fayden}
    Bar abilities: Raise Dead, Cure Critical, Deathward, Restoration
    Self Cast: Radiant Burst, Searing Light
    Feats: Emp. Heal {always on}, Toughness, Mental Toughness, Quicken {always on}.
    Gear Him up with:
    Helm - Nightforge Darkhelm {Wis 4, Will Save 5 - This item now has a Yellow Slot I believe - Put Fear Immunity in it. - If slot is Blue Put False Life in}.
    Necklace - Nightforge Gorget - Slot with Resist Acid.
    Trinket - Pearl of Power X
    Cloak - Phiarlan Mirror Cloak
    Belt - Con 5
    Rings - Charisma 5, Devotion Ring {Lvl Appropriate}
    Gloves - Charged Gauntlets
    Boots - Firestorm Greaves
    Bracers - Greater Parrying.
    Armour - Gleaming Adamantine Plate
    Shield - Phiarlan Shield {Angular with Appearance Kit added}.
    Weapons - Noxious Fang, Shrieking Star {make sure he knows to swap when needed - Mobs can do it}.

    And he still won't be anywhere near as good as a Real Player!

    Heck - Give him a +2 Supreme Tome too - He still won't equal a Real Player's contribution!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 03-10-2013 at 12:32 AM.

  9. #29
    Community Member Thayion516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    359

    Default

    All of this Theory Crafting is well and good, but it is not really applicable or helpful to new players in game. A new player needs a guide on what IS , not what could be.

    One of the best things for new players I would suggest is use the Call button and swap between Aggro/Defensive often to reset actions and keep your hire safe. Treat it like a Pet with a simple AI.

    Want to know what a hire will do in battle? Take it to a Explorer Zone a little under your level and pull 3 or 4 bad guys ... Put it on different modes and just watch it. If it stand there and gets beat down, Its Lazy, don't use it. If it starts doing actions and attempts to take care of things, its ok and its AI is working.

    And BTW Fran.. Turbine can not even make a maintanance patch without breaking the game for 4 days or a update that is not 10% bugged. I dont really want them messing with anything they dont really have too. They are too busy trying to fix the last years worth of mistakes lol!
    Last edited by Thayion516; 03-10-2013 at 08:07 AM.

  10. #30
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    I too prefer Albus over Wyoh, though I do note you need to have at least in the high-400s for him to work. If you have <400, he generally won't heal you period. I expect he's taking into account how much his heal hits for versus how much hp you are missing.

    His tankiness really helps in harder-hitting quests (elite/epic elites), whereas Wyoh tends to go splat the moment something looks at her funnily. Furthermore, he seems to have a decent concentration score now.

    That being said, he's a little bit too aggressive considering his minimal damage output for my tastes, and has an annoying tendancy to rush in and hit cometfalling caster-things with his mace. Which generally means he's flat on his back the next moment. In general, though, I also find him to be a bit less glitchy than Wyoh, and he comes with mass DW (does Wyoh? I can't remember. At any rate, I find my tangleroots are dispelled faster than a sneeze nowadays in a bunch of content).
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  11. #31
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    I too prefer Albus over Wyoh, though I do note you need to have at least in the high-400s for him to work. If you have <400, he generally won't heal you period. I expect he's taking into account how much his heal hits for versus how much hp you are missing.

    His tankiness really helps in harder-hitting quests (elite/epic elites), whereas Wyoh tends to go splat the moment something looks at her funnily. Furthermore, he seems to have a decent concentration score now.

    That being said, he's a little bit too aggressive considering his minimal damage output for my tastes, and has an annoying tendancy to rush in and hit cometfalling caster-things with his mace. Which generally means he's flat on his back the next moment. In general, though, I also find him to be a bit less glitchy than Wyoh, and he comes with mass DW (does Wyoh? I can't remember. At any rate, I find my tangleroots are dispelled faster than a sneeze nowadays in a bunch of content).
    Yes he comes with Mass Deathward - So does Heystack!

    Wyoh comes with a highly usable Implosion!

    And as you mention in your first paragraph - If the player has less than 400 hp then the player is toast!

    So for newbies I will DEFINITELY continue Championing Wyoh!
    Keep her alive and she'll keep you alive!
    Make sure you keep her close and when you go into a group of mobs - tell her to cast Implosion - Half the Mobs will vanish!
    You can keep the rest off her!

    Whereas - Albus does act like he thinks he's a tank! - He's way too slow to heal even when on defensive {I've seen hirelings melee mobs on defensive btw}.
    In fact I'll accept that for Caster Hirelings who like to blow their mana {Yes I'm looking at you Larafay!} Defensive is a good option.
    BUT for Melee Hires {and most - if not all of the - Clerics fall into this category} I find Defensive to be utterly useless.

    Anyway - Epic Elites? Seriously?
    Now I know the Epic Hires are bad BUT You're taking a Lvl 20 Hire into Epic Elites when there's higher lvl options available?


    Now to the theory Crafting spoken of by Thayion:

    I'm still annoyed at the Devs taking the cheapo option when fixing Hirelings {And not going anywhere near far enough}.

    Swapping between Aggro and Defensive is actually almost mandatory - Because this is the easiest way to get a glitchy hire moving and healing again!
    Also known to work on Arti Dogs/Druid Wolves!

    One run with any hire could result in completely flawed results - You'll need to run with hires in multiple different instances to really get to know which are actually good or not {Plus some are much better in certain instances than others}!
    Today I've used Albus and Miranda in Crystal Cove {different characters of course} and Albus has done fine in there - Miranda on the other hand had a Mare! {and she's usually pretty good in my experience}.
    Also - It can highly depend on your build which hireling is best for you! {My Battle Cleric absolutely adores Wyoh!}.

    Lastly - I consider Hirelings to be a high priority fix for DDO - Remember that the people getting most use out of hirelings are the newbies you're attempting to help!

  12. #32
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thayion516 View Post
    Pretty much This. ^^

    Iv never had a damage output problem as far as I know. Iv been soloing elites for quite a while now. I prefer my Hire to assist me with the kill. When we run GH and Larafay walks out with 20-40 kills. Thats 20-40 mobs faster then what I would have done without the help.
    But dungeon scaling makes the rest of the kills that much harder for you to achieve. It's not a no-loss situation.
    When Greater command hits 3 mobs and i get the +50% damage boost and start critting stuff for 300+ in Vale... thank you Hireling.
    I am reasonably sure Greater Command does not grant the Helpless buff, because the only Prone that offers it specifically states it does.
    If a Hireling is standing there doing nothing as I take on 3-5 bad guys, waiting for me to get to 75% health, it's lazy IMO.
    That's all well and good, but if you need the healing you need your hire to have SP, and going offensive will drain that SP very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford
    And as you mention in your first paragraph - If the player has less than 400 hp then the player is toast!

    So for newbies I will DEFINITELY continue Championing Wyoh!
    I think you have to go out of your way to make a level 20+ character that requires healing with less than 400 HP, new player or no.

  13. #33
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    So for newbies I will DEFINITELY continue Championing Wyoh!
    Keep her alive and she'll keep you alive!
    Right up till she runs out of SP's in the boss fight. If it wasn't for that I'd be all for hire's healing after every hit.


    Whereas - Albus does act like he thinks he's a tank! - He's way too slow to heal even when on defensive {I've seen hirelings melee mobs on defensive btw}.
    In fact I'll accept that for Caster Hirelings who like to blow their mana {Yes I'm looking at you Larafay!} Defensive is a good option.
    BUT for Melee Hires {and most - if not all of the - Clerics fall into this category} I find Defensive to be utterly useless.
    Yes melee hires will melee mobs in defensive, but they wont go chasing off after mobs in defensive. Generally Al will melee anything that moves within mace range of him. While this may keep him from staying within awareness range of you, it's better than him running off outside that range on his own.

    Anyway - Epic Elites? Seriously?
    Now I know the Epic Hires are bad BUT You're taking a Lvl 20 Hire into Epic Elites when there's higher lvl options available?
    Why when they are worse than the level 20 options, not that I think hireling healers have any place in EE's regardless. Looking at the level 21-23 FVS hires, all have worse spell options as well as fewer SP's and HP's than Albus.


    Now to the theory Crafting spoken of by Thayion:

    I'm still annoyed at the Devs taking the cheapo option when fixing Hirelings {And not going anywhere near far enough}.
    It might have something to do with writing code for a $15/month or less video game. I'm sure everybody at Turbine would be delighted to be so flush with money as to spend it on frivolous stuff like hand crafting each hireling. But we are talking about a game that went F2P just to keep the servers up. This is a business, like any business, where functional at a profit always beats perfect at a loss.

  14. #34
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Yes he comes with Mass Deathward - So does Heystack!

    Wyoh comes with a highly usable Implosion!


    Anyway - Epic Elites? Seriously?
    Now I know the Epic Hires are bad BUT You're taking a Lvl 20 Hire into Epic Elites when there's higher lvl options available?
    Heystack goes squish, and Wyoh doesn't have mass deathward. When I look for a hire, some amount of survivability, deathward, and reasonable healing are pretty much my first priorities, though granted we may differ in what those priorities are.

    And yes, epic elites. When I take hires into eEs, it's always Albus. Offensively oriented hires can't do diddly, Albus can at least prop me up when I mis-step and take unexpected damage. Plus, he's cheaper than healing scrolls. On second thought, I think I've been through more epic elites with Albus than with any other player/hire in the game.

    -Maybe- for a new person Wyoh is indeed better, with her more watchful healing. I just personally have a hard time keeping an eye on her, and she always ends up dead. Personal playstyle differences, perhaps.
    Last edited by sandypaws; 03-12-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  15. #35
    Community Member Falco_Easts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people
    Posts
    2,220

    Default Customisation

    What I would like to see on a hireling is more customisation. Right click to bring up character sheet similar to arti's pet. Drag spells/feats/skills from character sheet to hotbar. Possibly even choose 2 favoured spells or feats the hireling will use when required and off timer so you can sert your barbarian to stun & trip without having to click or set your sorc to firewall & scorching ray.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

    Unguilded of Orien

  16. #36
    Community Member Thayion516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I am reasonably sure Greater Command does not grant the Helpless buff, because the only Prone that offers it specifically states it does.
    Did some testing and you are correct. Greater command and Cometfall does not give the +50% damage bonus for helpless. It just counts them prone with a -4AC. It seems I am seeing the +[Weapon] damage from Cleave/Great Cleave on them all as they are laying there. But i still like the fact they are on their back causing no trouble and bunched up nicely for a beating. So I still say Thank You hireling for assisting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload