Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rename Forum

Default Rename Forum

With the further upcoming expamsion more into The Forgotten Realms and hopefully much more in the future there is a great solid footing and growing. I cannot say how much it means to me and I know many other players that DDO has launchedinto FR, major kudos.

Should this forum be renamed to "The Forgotten Realms" and there be one created for "Eberron" for each worlds specific topics and conversation? I think that the forum name continued over one update should be more encompassing.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

NO and death to the realms I hope the next update isnt a further downgrade(for me and in my opinon) in the better they were forgotten realms. MORE eberron or greyhawk or candyland anything but the realms.

I know you like them but not everyone does and it would take a long time for them to equal the qualtiy and quanaty of eberron for one thing no low level content (I prefer low to mid level)

They should maybe add a subform for the realms

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    NO and death to the realms I hope the next update isnt a further downgrade(for me and in my opinon) in the better they were forgotten realms. MORE eberron or greyhawk or candyland anything but the realms.

I know you like them but not everyone does and it would take a long time for them to equal the qualtiy and quanaty of eberron for one thing no low level content (I prefer low to mid level)

The next pak is supposed to be for level 15.

It appears they are working their way back down the levels for the Realms.

I think the forum shouild be renamed, but not 'the realms' rather 'the extra-cost expansion paks'.

They are going to have to come up with something even sweeter than the greater/lesser learning tomes and panther if they are going to get me to pre-order this new expansion....

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Change it to be the Expansions Forum.
    Not setting-centric, just a place to discuss the newest of the new content - no matter where it's set.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    They are going to have to come up with something even sweeter than the greater/lesser learning tomes and panther if they are going to get me to pre-order this new expansion....
    Amen.
    I still feel like dropping $80 on the Collector's Edition was a mistake. Yeah, the XP tomes are nice - but I'd have been fine w/o them, and I feel like the overall expansion was a rip-off at that price tag.
    Last edited by Memnir; 03-05-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Change it to be the Expansions Forum.
    Not setting-centric, just a place to discuss the newest of the new content - no matter where it's set.Amen.
    I still feel like dropping $80 on the Collector's Edition was a mistake. Yeah, the XP tomes are nice - but I'd have been fine w/o them, and I feel like the overall expansion was a rip-off at that price tag.
    I actually dropped that much three times, because I had made two additional accounts to 'bump up' my guild, and decided that the $80 was a 'darn good deal' for those two accounts since they otherwise didn't have any paks. The they came out with the stones of experience, so now I have a TWF cleric on each of those accounts at level 16

The greater tomes (yeah, I upgraded using the TP that came with the pak) plus the panther on each character was 'worth it' for my main account, and those things plus the paks were worth it for those two accoutns. But I share the frustration with all the big and little bugs and how things just have seemed unfinished since MotU came out. The DNT String Table Errors aren't really game breaking but are kind of 'come on, really?' I don't understand why they have to break something new every update (no slayers/liberators in the underdark this update), or change things for no apparent reason. I was in Epic Into the Deep last night and noticed that now the spear-chuckers (no off meant) on the ledges are non-targetable and even if you charm/mass suggest everybody down below they won't attack those guys, so now they are just invincible damage-dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I know you like them but (not everyone does) and so does most of the other D&D fan base and (it would take a long time for them to equal the qualtiy and quanaty of eberron) although The Forgotten Realms has already exceeded the D&D content of Eberron in both quality and storyline I prefer more non-D&D related steam punk content for one thing no low level content (I prefer low to mid level).

I corrected your short sited reply above but left your own words for reference. This would have been the more appropriate and accurate thing to write.

FYI - The next update and many more to come will continue to add content to The Forgotten Realms Turbine (thank God) has already announced this. Adding FR has been a huge marketing bonanza for Turbine and very popular with the majority of its fans, kudos to Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I corrected your short sited reply above but left your own words for reference. This would have been the more appropriate and accurate thing to write.

FYI - The next update and many more to come will continue to add content to The Forgotten Realms Turbine (thank God) has already announced this. Adding FR has been a huge marketing bonanza for Turbine and very popular with the majority of its fans, kudos to Turbine.
    If you look at a couple of other threads more people wanted something other than the unoriginal realms So I would hardly say a majority does more want darksun sigil or spell jammer I would say.

I dont feel like I am playing dnd when I am in the realms part of the game but at least it is better than NWO

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

For me, D&D was always about creativity, and forgotable realms is nothing more than a generic fantasy setting with nothing special about it.

Sorry, there is one speicial thing; player characters are zeros, and the world is filled with superpowerful NPCs, that don't needs players at all, and could defeat any threats alone.

Also, I feel that using the most overused theme of forgotable realms (drow in underdark) is exact opposite of creativity, and thus, exact opposite of what D&D is supposed to be. (not to mention, drow and underdark were originally made for Greyhawk setting)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    For me, D&D was always about creativity, and forgotable realms is nothing more than a generic fantasy setting with nothing special about it.

Sorry, there is one speicial thing; player characters are zeros, and the world is filled with superpowerful NPCs, that don't needs players at all, and could defeat any threats alone.

Also, I feel that using the most overused theme of forgotable realms (drow in underdark) is exact opposite of creativity, and thus, exact opposite of what D&D is supposed to be. (not to mention, drow and underdark were originally made for Greyhawk setting)
    This

This is why Dragonlance ruled. Most of the lore is written so that it happened in the past, with alot of characters who had power, but then this huge almost world ending event happened that made most of the powerful races lose so much power that they started living cave man style again. Its the perfect setting for a low magic campaign.

The issue with FR is there is TOO MUCH special about it. It is the monte haul setting for monte haul character play, which is why it fits DDO perfectly.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Any good DM knows to kill a few powerful named NPCs early on to let the players know they aren't in Kansas anymore.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Please correct me if I am wrong, is D&D not a business? I am not certain as I am not a business major but from what I have read it is as it takes in consumers money for profit. Lets see if my perception makes sense Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, oh name another realm did not make a profit for D&D. The Forgotten Realms made so much money for D&D and was by far the most popular realm D&D every produced I only back this statement up with of lets see, FACTS, NUMBERS, DOLLARS.

Each of us may have our little realms we liked I do. I liked both Dragonlance and Ravenloft but I loved The Forgotten Realms even more thats why the many years of pen and paper the groups I played D&D with always returned to FR because we felt it was better.

The Underdark is but a small part of FR as it has so much more in it. In fact my groups never even played in or created a mofule based on the Underdark. No realm is bigger in D&D than FR as such there must be a reason most of the games, novels and even now two (2) MMO's incorporate The Forgotten Realms. Is because as a busines they prefer to not make a profit, NO guys come on get real. FR rules...

Community Member

I only back this statement up with of lets see, FACTS, NUMBERS, DOLLARS.

and these facts, numbers and dollars are where? all I see is your opinion.

as for future expansion go-go-go-Greyhawk
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Mordenkainen
    Tenser
    Bigby
    Melf
    Rary
    Otto
    Drawmij
    The Circle of Eight
    Iuz!

Greyhawk was FULL of Super Powered NPCs!

And Elminster, Khelben, The Simbul etc. DIDN'T have Spells named after them in the Player's Handbook!

Drizz't was a Fighter who Dual-Classed into Ranger {yes I know by the rules of the game at that time Dual-Classing was only allowed to Humans BUT since when has R.A. Salvatore EVER followed the rules of D&D?}
    And then {possibly} took a couple of Barb levels!

Dragonlance has Raistlin Majere!

Dark Sun had the Sorcerer Kings! Plus Troy Denning's Prism Pentad introduced the Good Guys {NPCs!} who killed a number of those Sorcerer Kings and became INCREDIBLY Powerful themselves! {Those who survived that is!}.

Stormreach has LOADS of Super-Powered NPCs who if they got off their Backsides could easily defeat anything we face - They CHOOSE to send us instead!

P.S. DDO has got Elminster SPOT-ON!
    Elminster ALWAYS has other things to do - He's NOT Omnipotent!

He is however an annoying Piker!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Mordenkainen
    Tenser
    Bigby
    Melf
    Rary
    Otto
    Drawmij
    The Circle of Eight
    Iuz!

Greyhawk was FULL of Super Powered NPCs!

And Elminster, Khelben, The Simbul etc. DIDN'T have Spells named after them in the Player's Handbook!

Drizz't was a Fighter who Dual-Classed into Ranger {yes I know by the rules of the game at that time Dual-Classing was only allowed to Humans BUT since when has R.A. Salvatore EVER followed the rules of D&D?}
    And then {possibly} took a couple of Barb levels!

Dragonlance has Raistlin Majere!

Dark Sun had the Sorcerer Kings! Plus Troy Denning's Prism Pentad introduced the Good Guys {NPCs!} who killed a number of those Sorcerer Kings and became INCREDIBLY Powerful themselves! {Those who survived that is!}.

Stormreach has LOADS of Super-Powered NPCs who if they got off their Backsides could easily defeat anything we face - They CHOOSE to send us instead!

P.S. DDO has got Elminster SPOT-ON!
    Elminster ALWAYS has other things to do - He's NOT Omnipotent!

He is however an annoying Piker!

Those greyhawk npc's didnt interfere in the world like FR's did and as to the spells the PHB came out before FR existed as an offical dnd world There was only Greyhawk and Blackmoor so thats why a hack's characters dont have spells named after them. Also not one of Greyhawks characters are anywhere near as powerful as those you named from the realms heck not even Iuz is as powerful as elminster or khleben or the simbul

Please correct me if I am wrong, is D&D not a business? I am not certain as I am not a business major but from what I have read it is as it takes in consumers money for profit. Lets see if my perception makes sense Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, oh name another realm did not make a profit for D&D. The Forgotten Realms made so much money for D&D and was by far the most popular realm D&D every produced I only back this statement up with of lets see, FACTS, NUMBERS, DOLLARS.

Each of us may have our little realms we liked I do. I liked both Dragonlance and Ravenloft but I loved The Forgotten Realms even more thats why the many years of pen and paper the groups I played D&D with always returned to FR because we felt it was better.

The Underdark is but a small part of FR as it has so much more in it. In fact my groups never even played in or created a mofule based on the Underdark. No realm is bigger in D&D than FR as such there must be a reason most of the games, novels and even now two (2) MMO's incorporate The Forgotten Realms. Is because as a busines they prefer to not make a profit, NO guys come on get real. FR rules...

Popular doenst = good its opium for the masses prime example

WoW most popular MMO ever and it bites big time. Boring mindless and simple to play just like FR

Those greyhawk npc's didnt interfere in the world like FR's did and as to the spells the PHB came out before FR existed as an offical dnd world There was only Greyhawk and Blackmoor so thats why a hack's characters dont have spells named after them. Also not one of Greyhawks characters are anywhere near as powerful as those you named from the realms heck not even Iuz is as powerful as elminster or khleben or the simbul

The Circle of Eight most certainly did interfere in the world of Greyhawk!

If we're talking about 2nd Edition then sorry but the Player's Handbook {1989} came out AFTER The Forgotten Realms {1987}!

If you're going back to 1st Ed. which I assume you are...
    You might want to take a look at Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms.
    Specifically:
    " it was created by game designer Ed Greenwood around 1967 as a setting for his childhood stories.[1] Several years later, Greenwood brought the setting to the D&D game as a series of magazine articles, and the first Realms game products were released in 1987. "

Gary Gygax put High Powered NPCs {Many of them his own and Friends/Familyies Characters} into HIS World!
    Dave Arneson's Blackmoor was incorporated into the World of Oerth!
    Why do you have such an issue with Ed Greenwood doing the same things?
    How about Weis and Hickman and Dragonlance? Does anyone in any other world have such an over-riding influence over games in that world as the likes of Raistlin Majere?
    Seriously - EVERY SINGLE Dragonlance Campaign I've ever been notified of/heard about locally has been some variation on the Books! {Most of them insisting we play the Characters from said books!}.

P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordenkainen
    Specifically...
    "The "Wizards Three" articles mention that Mordenkainen is an associate of Elminster of the Forgotten Realms setting and Dalamar of the Dragonlance setting, who all meet on Earth to swap news and magic. He is also stated to have an apprentice named Rautheene."

Mordenkainen and Elminster meet regularly for chats and swapping of spells - They are of the same Power Level!

I used to love the Wizard's Three articles in Dragon Magazine!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    Oh they will, and people will buy it.

I still regret that I bought 2 CE expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    The Circle of Eight most certainly did interfere in the world of Greyhawk!

If we're talking about 2nd Edition then sorry but the Player's Handbook {1989} came out AFTER The Forgotten Realms {1987}!

If you're going back to 1st Ed. which I assume you are...
    You might want to take a look at Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms.
    Specifically:
    " it was created by game designer Ed Greenwood around 1967 as a setting for his childhood stories.[1] Several years later, Greenwood brought the setting to the D&D game as a series of magazine articles, and the first Realms game products were released in 1987. "

Gary Gygax put High Powered NPCs {Many of them his own and Friends/Familyies Characters} into HIS World!
    Dave Arneson's Blackmoor was incorporated into the World of Oerth!
    Why do you have such an issue with Ed Greenwood doing the same things?
    How about Weis and Hickman and Dragonlance? Does anyone in any other world have such an over-riding influence over games in that world as the likes of Raistlin Majere?
    Seriously - EVERY SINGLE Dragonlance Campaign I've ever been notified of/heard about locally has been some variation on the Books! {Most of them insisting we play the Characters from said books!}.

P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordenkainen
    Specifically...
    "The "Wizards Three" articles mention that Mordenkainen is an associate of Elminster of the Forgotten Realms setting and Dalamar of the Dragonlance setting, who all meet on Earth to swap news and magic. He is also stated to have an apprentice named Rautheene."

Mordenkainen and Elminster meet regularly for chats and swapping of spells - They are of the same Power Level!

I used to love the Wizard's Three articles in Dragon Magazine!
    1st edition thank you very much phb 1978!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The real ad&d and EG(greenwood is a hack unoriginal writer.) and I said they didnt interfer as much nor have near the power level of the FR characters

and I dont use wikipedia it is a unacceptable source for most University papers so I ignore it.

And Mord is nowhere near the power level of Elm he isnt one of the "CHOSEN"

No I wasnt a fan of how DL was done and the encouragement to play the characters from the stories instead of your own. I much prefered the age of mortals.

I quit playing dnd pnp altogether when the new version of hackmaster came out with its much more realistic character generation and combat system.

3d6 in order you can change but that but it comes with a cost.

If the world of hackcraft was a real mmo I would be there.

Sorry to come on strong but I have hated the realms for over 20 years.
    Last edited by Uska; 03-27-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pape_27 View Post
    and these facts, numbers and dollars are where? all I see is your opinion.

as for future expansion go-go-go-Greyhawk
    The Forgotten Realms

The Forgotten Realms is a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) fantasy role-playing game. Commonly referred to by players and game designers alike as "The Realms", it was created by game designer Ed Greenwood around 1967 as a setting for his childhood stories.[1] Several years later, Greenwood brought the setting to the D&D game as a series of magazine articles, and the first Realms game products were released in 1987. Role-playing game products have been produced for the setting ever since, as have various licensed products including sword and sorcery novels, role-playing video game adaptations (including the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game to use graphics), and comic books. The Forgotten Realms is one of the most popular D&D settings,[2][3] largely due to the success of novels by authors such as R. A. Salvatore and numerous role-playing video games, including Pool of Radiance (1988), Baldur's Gate (1998), Icewind Dale (2000) and Neverwinter Nights (2002).

Is it my opininion that there are now two (2) MMO's being launched in the Forgotten Realms. Is it my opinion that Turbine is expanding into FR even more and more in the future. Do your own research so that your coming from a better place to make your incorrect assessment.
    Last edited by shores11; 03-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast