Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why should new folks get MOTU after the next expansion comes out?

Once the new expansion comes out later this year and level cap increases, why should new folks or anyone who doesn't already have MOTU, get MOTU?

I'm guessing the new expansion will offer better gear, and with epic Gianthold there doesn't seem to be any reason to get MOTU now that the new expansion has been announced.

So what am I missing?

Because without MOTU training epic destinies is a royal pain in the butt.

The MOTU flagging quests offer the best epic exp/minute ratio you can get.

Community Member

The expansion has stalled me from putting any real effort into eGH as level 28 gear will be better, MoTU gear is even worse and takes forever to flag for a raid that barely drops comms. Might become a ghost town.

I think new players will still get it though because with the cap increase we'll need a ton more xp to get to 28 and there isn't really all that much epic content
    The MOTU flagging quests offer the best epic exp/minute ratio you can get.
    There's a few other quests that're probably better xp/min wise, but you can't really afk in them as easily.

because it is fun fighting drow.. also my favorite area is king's forest~~
    DDO have betray it's lineage, it is no longer any true to DND.. which Is why am gone.. for good..

Community Member

Short answer: There won't be enough XP to cap at level 28 without buying MOTU, unless you like to grind the Challenges.

because they will be bundled together at release.

Community Member

The MotU content offers a lot of very good xp quests, as well as some very, very good loot for those who are new to level 20+ content. Remember, with the level cap going up to 28, we are going to need even more xp to reach cap, so every source of good xp we can get is worth the investment, in my opinion. That said, it might be something to purchase piece-meal from the DDO store, rather than in one large bundle from the marketplace. But that would have to be a personal decision.

I cant imagine not buying any expansion at some point if you intend to keep playing its like collecting cards you naturally want the entire set.
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

The new expansion may not offer the gear you want even if its higher..example a caster or blue bar with torc ..thats level 11 so why buy sands if there is newer content? It is a matter of gear and preference. Not to mention after you are here a while new content is great even if its something you felt at the time you didn't need. More stuff to do is always a good thing You may miss some great fun just skipping things because of gear. After you are here a while you will want to play it all anyway..just my thought

Also: You never know they may make it a requirement to have MoTU to access the new stuff to make money. You mention gianthold..but it was free if you already owned gianthold. This is new stuff so I guess we will see how they will go about it.
    Last edited by silence383; 03-05-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silence383 View Post
    The new expansion may not offer the gear you want even if its higher
    I do feel some of the Epic Gianthold gear won't be replaced any time soon. Epic Elite Jorgundal's Collar is almost a permanent haste and I definitely would make room for it on melees if I had it.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Yea but you seen my point..there are still things people use that even because the content is epic..doesn't mean it works for your character is all And hes missing out on a lot of fun too
    Last edited by silence383; 03-05-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Might need it for ED's or it could be like wow some of their expansions required you to have the previous one which could very well be the case here but I am sure they will have a combo pack available for those who need it. Not really happy about them doing another pay expansion so soon but I will most likely end up pre-ordering it

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Might need it for ED's or it could be like wow some of their expansions required you to have the previous one which could very well be the case here but I am sure they will have a combo pack available for those who need it. Not really happy about them doing another pay expansion so soon but I will most likely end up pre-ordering it
    Exactly what I am thinking. You will most likely need the first expansion to get the second.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Short answer: There won't be enough XP to cap at level 28 without buying MOTU, unless you like to grind the Challenges.
    I'm not even sure there will be enough with the MotU content. Filling that bar after getting 24th takes forever as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I'm not even sure there will be enough with the MotU content. Filling that bar after getting 24th takes forever as it is.
    I completely agree with you.

A XP reset timer, similar to chest ransack, would alleviate part of the problem. Also boosting the XP for upper Heroic level quests would get a viable source of XP for fresh Epic players while also helping remove the artificial segregation that exists between level 17-19 players and 20-21.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

In my opinion, the number one reason people should get MOTU with or without the next expasion is, it's fun. The quests are a great deal of fun and the explorer areas are beautifully done (current underdark issues notwithstanding). The whole point of us sitting down and logging in in the first place is to enjoy ourselves, exploring a virtual world and (for most) saving that world. (Or destroying it for the evil types who won't be deterred by the lack of evil alignments). You get 14 or so quests that are lovely fun to do, and a crappy raid. I won't lie, citw is kind of awful and strange in general. Although it can be argued that so is Lolth, so it makes sense.

If people absolutely measure their fun by game, there are useful items out there, and a LOT of exp. A teleport key to Eveningstar can only be obtained by favor, and while not critical, for those who want to run the new stuff with the most timers left on their buffs it's a great convenience item. And for those looking to stock up on heroic coms, it's the only other raid in the game besides the giant hold one that currently offers them. So if you're not into buying raid timers but want more access to shots at them, there it is.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Because they want to play that content.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

1. MotU art design is killer. They absolutely nailed Sshyndyllryn/Underdark. Demon Web is pretty cool as well.

2. Raid is fun and has some really powerful boom sticks when fully upgraded

3. Some clever quest designs (Impossible Demands etc)

4. Some MotU gear remains best-in-slot (Dun Robar Seals etc)

5. Is killing Demons and Drow not on your to-do list? I know collecting cosmetic pets is hard work but really....

6. They discount the **** out of the Expansion occasionally. Anyone who can afford to log on with an internet connection should have no problem purchasing it when it's on sale

7. Loads of farm-able XP

8. The people you run with own it, are you going to say "sorry guys...I can't run 'X' with you because (cue sad, sad violin music)"

So, in summary...I do not understand the words coming out of your mouth and frankly I can't imagine a more short-sighted question appearing anywhere on these forums for the foreseeable future.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

The simple reason: Because more people have access to MotU than the new expansion.

The complex reason: Because.

Because it's fun

Because it is filled with great content

Because the visuals are stunning

Because the story lines are pretty good

Because they want to

There are a gazillion different good reasons to purchase and run the content.

And you are trying to state that there is absolutely no reason to run the content, and that is just silly.

I still enjoy running the oldest epics in the game.......
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast