Community Member

Default Cannith challange revamp

Just thinking when it first came out they used to be run all the time now its so rare

Some changes personally I would love to see happen to the challenges

1. Make them more solo friendly specially the mansion ones
    2. Make it so you decide which rewards you want, if you want the epic ingredients or none epic ingredients. the quest and reward numbers scale with the level of Q against the level of toon
    3. Make the level 20 items have craftable +5 (with the option of adding potential shards)

There's a lot of potential with these challenges but now that the level cap is 25 and so many new items these have become a lot less desirable i feel making something that can be crafted onto would not only help the challenges but also give something to cannith crafters which since the new procs, higher stat and exceptional stats have lost a lot

Quote Originally Posted by 5chinoble View Post
    Just thinking when it first came out they used to be run all the time now its so rare

Some changes personally I would love to see happen to the challenges

1. Make them more solo friendly specially the mansion ones
    2. Make it so you decide which rewards you want, if you want the epic ingredients or none epic ingredients. the quest and reward numbers scale with the level of Q against the level of toon
    3. Make the level 20 items have craftable +5 (with the option of adding potential shards)

There's a lot of potential with these challenges but now that the level cap is 25 and so many new items these have become a lot less desirable i feel making something that can be crafted onto would not only help the challenges but also give something to cannith crafters which since the new procs, higher stat and exceptional stats have lost a lot
    1. the mansion ones are very soloable with a fast toon.

2. would be nice, but as long as you have a toon in the levelrange where you get the ingredients you want, you can just make the item with him/her
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

How about just fixing the xp?

that might work....

just sayin'
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    1. the mansion ones are very soloable with a fast toon.

2. would be nice, but as long as you have a toon in the levelrange where you get the ingredients you want, you can just make the item with him/her
    1. thats the problem its spefic to toons with speed, so making it easier to get the crests (drops from kills aswell as breakables) would make it more friendly, increasing the drops would also help

2. thats the main problem, you level lower levels so quickly you're never in that range long enough to farm enough inrediants I find, so scaling the quest to the level of the toon and than giving you the option of epic or non epic ingrediants would really help

I dont think increasing the XP is the way, we'd just go back to the days where people can level just by doing the challanges where personally i see them more as ways to grind the items

1. thats the problem its spefic to toons with speed, so making it easier to get the crests (drops from kills aswell as breakables) would make it more friendly, increasing the drops would also help

2. thats the main problem, you level lower levels so quickly you're never in that range long enough to farm enough inrediants I find, so scaling the quest to the level of the toon and than giving you the option of epic or non epic ingrediants would really help
    i usually have an ing farmer sitting at 16, and striding boots give me enough speed to get enough ing. Of course youll need enough dps as well, but thast another issue.

I agree. I like them but at the same time, they really aren't solo friendly....especially the mansion ones. I have made one item in the time they have been out. One. No one runs them anymore. XP isn't good. Items are ok, but it is easier and faster to level past them and just keep going.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

they were run all the time? When in the 2 months after release? It's no different then any other annoyance. You see the evening challenges run none stop? Of course not everyone's made their cloak.

What about the chains? Like the 3rd one out in the web? Of course not you have to actually run the hell out there.

Heck lets take an up to date one. Epic GH. Do you see all those quests bursting at the seams?

Now lets take something like tide, or deeps, or carnival. While not massive theirs usually always a farm going. Always a von or shroud going and they're old as hell.

Why? Because they offer something. For the old epics it's a shard that will probably never fall in our lifetimes. For older raids again shards that will never see the light in our childerens lifetimes but also CASH ingredients.

The cannith challenges are no different then a tod raid or any epic that you've got your **** from. Look at cove. Ive made everything 2 times over years ago. So of course I didn't go to the goofy thing wasting time.

But not only does it have that against it as well as no cash feature and the goofy revamp of slots, it also has levels against it. You literally need an alt sitting there at a lv to farm the necessary ingredients for that tier. Of which is lv 20 gear which anything over 21 or 22 can't remember just gets reamed for ingredients.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

I would really like to see some challenges designed for solo play.

E.g. like the skirmishes in LOTRO.

Community Member

Devs just fix scaling, make it like Cove where mobs get stronger but not more.
    I already have given up on xp, just want to be able to run the challenges with friends.
    But under the scaling atm its punishing for me to run it other then solo, especially when your friends are not Uber players but more like casuals.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Or just add an option to trade down epic ingredients into regular.

Yeah. I have 3 characters banking level 21 in case I want to make some more of the challenge gear without farming it with 90% penalty.
    Druids have a fundamental right to bear arms.

"No more patterns" - Shroud puzzles guide.

There are a few big issues and a few small issues with the challenges currently. I'll touch on a few that I feel are relevant.

XP. Just reduce it to 0 and be done with it. Don't tease us with ridiculously low xp in the challenges. By now we get that you don't want us to get any reasonable amount of xp here so just make it 0 and we'll suck it up. Compensate perhaps by adding something to the loot tables like an increased drop rate on rare items or something. Add a non xp reward to compensate and so we make no mistake that these are in no way meant to reward XP at all.

Soloability. I wouldn't have cited the mansion quests as the hardest ones to solo. I rate them like this

Lava Caves - 2 or 3 members is the right number. You can solo easy enough, but having someone to watch for incoming makes it much more smooth. Adding a 3rd to hunt the giant or the orbs can make a max star run easier.

Mansion - 1 or 2 people make this the easiest. Adding more members won't make it any easier. Can be soloed if you have a toon that can handle it. The mechanics of the challenge itself aren't really being played against a soloist here.

Extraplanar Mining - 2 or 3 members for reasons similar to Lava Caves. It can be soloed, but adding someone to watch the center makes it a smoother run. Adding a 3rd for hunting the extra stars helps.

Kobold Island - 4 members for a smooth run. I may be doing something very, very wrong here but I struggle just to complete a level 25 Disruptor when solo or duo, let alone attempt more than a single star. If there is a challenge that needs to be more solo friendly, it's this one. I just can't manage to keep more than one extractor running while solo. Add the skelly in Disruptor and it's just a mess to solo. I just run whatever else and trade 2 for 1 for all Island challenge mats.

I agree 100% with your point #2. Either allow epic ingredients to trade down into non epic ingredients or allow us to craft at least base level 20 items with epic ingredients. I'd love to craft up a lv 20 Greataxe of Fire, but with all my capable toons capped, my only option is to TR or run a new toon to 15 to craft it. Simply put, this is a design failure.

I think point #3 is valid. Having the choice between either slots or craftable would be a nice one. Having a wider variety of red augments might be an easier way to address the problem.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    There are a few big issues and a few small issues with the challenges currently. I'll touch on a few that I feel are relevant.

XP. Just reduce it to 0 and be done with it. Don't tease us with ridiculously low xp in the challenges. By now we get that you don't want us to get any reasonable amount of xp here so just make it 0 and we'll suck it up. Compensate perhaps by adding something to the loot tables like an increased drop rate on rare items or something. Add a non xp reward to compensate and so we make no mistake that these are in no way meant to reward XP at all.

Soloability. I wouldn't have cited the mansion quests as the hardest ones to solo. I rate them like this

Lava Caves - 2 or 3 members is the right number. You can solo easy enough, but having someone to watch for incoming makes it much more smooth. Adding a 3rd to hunt the giant or the orbs can make a max star run easier.

Mansion - 1 or 2 people make this the easiest. Adding more members won't make it any easier. Can be soloed if you have a toon that can handle it. The mechanics of the challenge itself aren't really being played against a soloist here.

Extraplanar Mining - 2 or 3 members for reasons similar to Lava Caves. It can be soloed, but adding someone to watch the center makes it a smoother run. Adding a 3rd for hunting the extra stars helps.

Kobold Island - 4 members for a smooth run. I may be doing something very, very wrong here but I struggle just to complete a level 25 Disruptor when solo or duo, let alone attempt more than a single star. If there is a challenge that needs to be more solo friendly, it's this one. I just can't manage to keep more than one extractor running while solo. Add the skelly in Disruptor and it's just a mess to solo. I just run whatever else and trade 2 for 1 for all Island challenge mats.

I agree 100% with your point #2. Either allow epic ingredients to trade down into non epic ingredients or allow us to craft at least base level 20 items with epic ingredients. I'd love to craft up a lv 20 Greataxe of Fire, but with all my capable toons capped, my only option is to TR or run a new toon to 15 to craft it. Simply put, this is a design failure.

I think point #3 is valid. Having the choice between either slots or craftable would be a nice one. Having a wider variety of red augments might be an easier way to address the problem.
    i run challenges frequently and i can assure you if they took away xp they would never be run again. xp must always be earned or there is no reason to play. I dont ever favor farm for the same reason. nor loot farm. XP is the reason to run any given bit of content all else is 2ndary to alot of players like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    i run challenges frequently and i can assure you if they took away xp they would never be run again. xp must always be earned or there is no reason to play. I dont ever favor farm for the same reason. nor loot farm. XP is the reason to run any given bit of content all else is 2ndary to alot of players like me.
    There are plenty of things players do in this game that do not award xp. From social aspects to pvp to simple things like trading and surfing the AH. For me, challenges (past the first run) are also one of these things. Don't get me wrong. Ideally, I'd love for challenges to award a meaningful amount of xp, but that's not the case. The xp awarded currently (in my opinion) is more insulting than if they just awarded 0 xp. It's like if you were awarded 5 cp after a 3 hour EE raid. The 5 cp isn't the reason I'm in the raid and I couldn't care less if they completely remove that "reward".

I think the dev thinking is that challenges should be run for mats or, the actual challenge as the leaderboards attempted to suggest (don't get me started on the issues with competitive challenge leaderboards). If they were to push the useful reward aspects of the challenges (mats, gear, competitive aspect), I wouldn't mind if they scrapped the non useful part (xp). I don't expect xp from pvp and I don't expect xp from challenges for the same reason. I really don't think the devs ever wanted challenges to be a viable source of xp at all.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Thanks all

fully agree that XP shouldnt be a thing from challenges, just a revamp on how to complete them

and still would live to see the items having an option to be geared towards cannith crafting

both the challanges and cannith crafting to a lesser extent need a boost, its just such a shame that such a good concept is going to waste

Thanks all

fully agree that XP shouldnt be a thing from challenges, just a revamp on how to complete them

and still would live to see the items having an option to be geared towards cannith crafting

both the challanges and cannith crafting to a lesser extent need a boost, its just such a shame that such a good concept is going to waste
    Cant the upgraded cannith thingies (tier 3) be crafted on?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Cant the upgraded cannith thingies (tier 3) be crafted on?
    upto level 16 items on the 3rd upgrade adds +3 craftiong, which isnt bad but still somewhat limited

My main beef. Have them all capable of being 6 starred! I'm looking at you Disruptor and Short Cuts!!
    Favorhor, Rangedeath, Inthedark, Healemup, Axaleal, Hackemlow, Singasong, Intheback

Actually I have to agree with the second post. The mansion challenges are much better run solo than in a group because of they way scaling works. The only benefit to duo-ing them is having more monsters spawn hence a higher chance at random crests. They are however designed in a way that only after you've learned every nook and cranny of the mansion you can easily complete them.

The lava caves challenges are also very easily solo-ed with the right spam-happy hireling camping at the base or with dimension door.

The ones that really need a group that knows very well what it is doing is the kobold island challenges. No matter how hard I try I can't see myself 5 starring those solo or in a group.