Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Default thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    You can get Restoration pots by turning in Druid Commendations in Eveningstar. If you are level 12 on a first life you are highly unlikely to have access to Eveningstar or restoration pots.
    Not on my first life, but have been for the most part holding off on eveningstar until I finish completion... just started life number 9. How many commendations per pot? That seems like a not very efficient or reliable or cheap way to restore yourself, IMO. Commendations aren't tough to come by, but spending weeks and weeks out in Kings Forest getting them with the sole purpose of making it through Necro 2/3/4 seems a bit much.

Thanks for the info though, I am a loser so I probably WILL farm out there to get some. Hey everybody! I learned something helpful on DDO Forums!!! Yaaaayyy!
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

HP are about to become the single biggest gauge that unknown PUGers will be held to, now that MyDDO and YourDDO are being gotten rid of. Wait for it...
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    HP are about to become the single biggest gauge that unknown PUGers will be held to, now that MyDDO and YourDDO are being gotten rid of. Wait for it...
    Yep. The only things you can see when you accept someone into your party are their HP, their level split, and whatever they type into party chat as soon as they get there.

As long as they aren't Clr6/FvS7/Sorc7 and don't start the conversation with "WAT HOUS?" then the HP is the only thing that will give any indication of their ability to contribute to the quest.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I rarely gauge anyone's ability to PuG on HPs - there's just too many unknowns.

And I don't use MyDDO on PuGgers because it's been broken for so long (I haven't been able to see one of my toons for two lives)

So...will some people use HP as a gauge for unknown PuGgers? Yes

Will it be the single biggest gauge? I hope not - it's not even close to the best gauge in the game - the best gauge is actually PuGging with someone and letting it play out.

Likely unless you're doing EE GH, you'll be able to complete carrying 1-2 people in your backpack if necessary.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

Community Member

That 12 barb run is 20 barbs, 25 barbs would absolutely destroy elite shroud with little difficulty, if all the players are up to par. But as I said, finding 12 players all up the skill standard would be very difficult, but skill aside it's also a gear-check, which means certain staples in gear must also be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Only time i have had problems with stat damage is Necropolis quests. It takes 1 second to drink a lesser pot. Having a divine cleanse you everytime you have stat damage is a waste of their sp and a waste of me typing it out in chat or speaking the words in voice. When i roll drinking a lesser restore pot, i see 4's as common as 1's. I would only expect a new player to even ask a divine for a restore and not know about lesser restore pots.
    Temple of Vol the shades hit you for 1d4 strength damage almost every hit and if you're doing the rooms efficiently it's about 6 of them on you at once. That's pretty impossible to lesser restore. Other instances are von2, anything with the spiders that eat CHA, con damage from ghosts. The lesser pots are realistically only effective for poison ticks, diseases, things that don't apply them rapidly. Even with restore scrolls the amount of stat damage is high enough that you'll be switching to the scrolls almost on cooldown to prevent helpless.

Look kitten the only thing here that is a selfish disgrace is anyone thinking a divine characters duty is to heal others. Be it here or in PnP clerics are not healers, they have healing magic, and traditionally that is only meant to be used on the faithful. Id love personally for them to have a pick your religion at lvl one feat for all, and when healing those of other faiths it only does half effect or outright fails. It would help add depth to the RPG aspect of DDO that has long been lacking.

Its not a failing for someone enjoying the power of a self reliant divine warrior to ignore others, personally i always keep the party window closed as its imo a form of built in cheat/exploit against the spirit of D&D to be able to watch others health bars. That doesnt make me a bad player, it makes me a better one by the standards I use to judge people. People are each here to hack and slay for their own enjoyment, when pugging no one should be expected to lessen that fun for the sake of others they dont even know. If you want to build a retard DPS barb and stick with a static group of friends who accept such a build among the knock yourself out. Id rather run in a group of 6 random self reliants then be among such a static and stagnant rat pack.

Ive never met these huge numbers of disgraceful divines you speak of, as those in pugs rarely do other then their all to see completion, they tend to be very grateful when not expected to heal every little boo boo, some even surprised when a player would rather use heal scrolls on oneself rather then ask for a heal. The only kind of player I meet regularly in pugs who causes problems, inflicts social abuse on others, and in general shows a strong lack of social skills are pure retard dps barb and fighter specced builds players who seem to think they are the shining hero of the story and the rest are back ground characters there to support them. Thats it, the single and only frequent negative type of player I have encountered in DDO since year one. Literally thousands of them have crossed my path in pugs, never one disgraceful divine because it wasnt disgraceful for them to let someone die while they did battle, as they always once the battle is done( unless a long drawn out raid boss fight) will get those they can on their feet again, often apologizing for having let them fall, but viewing it as a trauma team leaders need to prioritize the scene.

You even claim to run a divine warrior, yet talk with some kind of fanboi lust for shade style barbs. Ill take a self repairing warforged shiradi over a frelling axer, and i loathe toasters like a saint loathes sin.

Kitten. Well, it's nice to know that you've been upset enough by my post that you've resorted to flinging insults, and pretty tame, unimaginative ones at that. But insults get us no where in discussion, so let's keep it to discussion.

Apparently you're confused, my position has always been arguing for one of a metagaming position as that is what I find entertaining. If I found being a weak player or roleplaying in an mmo fun, I'd be doing it, however that isn't fun nor is it efficient. What you'd rather do, by all means do, but that doesn't remove the fact that divines are a healing class. You're not granted mass heals for self healing, your buffs aren't AOE so you can buff yourself, the role of a divine has always been that of a supportive role. In top tier gameplay, a divine will never compare to any real DPS, not just barbarians. It's simple fact. This doesn't make them useless, they just have to use the abilities granted to them that -are- efficient.

11 pure DPS going full DPS mode with a healer will out-damage 12 self-sustaining DPS characters for several reasons. When a single character can take the role of healing an entire group with a ~2 second cast while performing about 25-30% of the DPS the all of the other members, it will do quite a bit more damage than a group that has 12 players all doing less damage than the 11 damage dealers from the first party, compounded by the fact they have to interrupt damage cycles to sustain.

The problem with DDO is the content is so easy you never require the metagaming that other MMOs have seen, people do not have to be on their game because raid mechanics are relatively tame, and ultimately the only thing you garner by playing extremely efficiently is quicker clears and less resources wasted after a certain skill/gear point is attained.

You don't see selfish divines because you don't feel that the divine I'm speaking of is playing selfish. But hey, to each their own, but you can't argue with simple facts. While a divine, skilled and geared, can DPS(at about 33% efficiency) while healing most players neglect healing in favor of perhaps a very minor, 4-5% increase in damage on their part. And this is foolish. You want to do it? Don't join groups looking for healers.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifyQuC View Post
    Temple of Vol the shades hit you for 1d4 strength damage almost every hit and if you're doing the rooms efficiently it's about 6 of them on you at once. That's pretty impossible to lesser restore. Other instances are von2, anything with the spiders that eat CHA, con damage from ghosts. The lesser pots are realistically only effective for poison ticks, diseases, things that don't apply them rapidly. Even with restore scrolls the amount of stat damage is high enough that you'll be switching to the scrolls almost on cooldown to prevent helpless.
    theres a deathward clicky that's fairly easy to get from Tangleroot. lasts for 5 minutes. no need for lesser restore pots than. just from TRing and not looking specifically for them, I now have 6 of these clickies. I often solo elite at level necro 1-3. I go through about 50 lesser pots if im not deathwarded per quest that do that kind of stat damage. with Vol, the DW clicky is enough with 2 shrines. no shrines if you zerg it.

I forgot about the spiders in Von II. they do CHA damage pretty fast and that's when a divine is useful. not sure if DW actually prevents it though. when I solo it, I just stay close to the ladder and fight them. after a few hits from the spiders, I fall down, drink some pots and do it again. its tedious and slower that way, but it gets the job done.

Community Member

25 barbs would absolutely destroy elite shroud with little difficulty,
    Well...Duh!

That's like saying six level 20 Palemasters would destroy Waterworks.

At level 25 you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least one Destiny fully capped.

A fully capped Destiny is the equivalent power wise of about ten levels.

What level is Elite Shroud again?

12 level 25 Bards could destroy Elite Shroud, hell they used to do All Bard Shrouds when the cap was 20.

You are probably correct, at least to some extent. There have always been morons putting up LFM's and that is likely to continue.

The only accurate way to "screen" someone is to run a quest or three with them. Anything else is stupidity in action.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

That 12 barb run is 20 barbs, 25 barbs would absolutely destroy elite shroud with little difficulty, if all the players are up to par. But as I said, finding 12 players all up the skill standard would be very difficult, but skill aside it's also a gear-check, which means certain staples in gear must also be there.

Look kitten the only thing here that is a selfish disgrace is anyone thinking a divine characters duty is to heal others. Be it here or in PnP clerics are not healers, they have healing magic, and traditionally that is only meant to be used on the faithful. Id love personally for them to have a pick your religion at lvl one feat for all, and when healing those of other faiths it only does half effect or outright fails. It would help add depth to the RPG aspect of DDO that has long been lacking.

Kitten. Well, it's nice to know that you've been upset enough by my post that you've resorted to flinging insults, and pretty tame, unimaginative ones at that. But insults get us no where in discussion, so let's keep it to discussion.

Apparently you're confused, my position has always been arguing for one of a metagaming position as that is what I find entertaining. If I found being a weak player or roleplaying in an mmo fun, I'd be doing it, however that isn't fun nor is it efficient. What you'd rather do, by all means do, but that doesn't remove the fact that divines are a healing class. You're not granted mass heals for self healing, your buffs aren't AOE so you can buff yourself, the role of a divine has always been that of a supportive role. In top tier gameplay, a divine will never compare to any real DPS, not just barbarians. It's simple fact. This doesn't make them useless, they just have to use the abilities granted to them that -are- efficient.

11 pure DPS going full DPS mode with a healer will out-damage 12 self-sustaining DPS characters for several reasons. When a single character can take the role of healing an entire group with a ~2 second cast while performing about 25-30% of the DPS the all of the other members, it will do quite a bit more damage than a group that has 12 players all doing less damage than the 11 damage dealers from the first party, compounded by the fact they have to interrupt damage cycles to sustain.

The problem with DDO is the content is so easy you never require the metagaming that other MMOs have seen, people do not have to be on their game because raid mechanics are relatively tame, and ultimately the only thing you garner by playing extremely efficiently is quicker clears and less resources wasted after a certain skill/gear point is attained.

You don't see selfish divines because you don't feel that the divine I'm speaking of is playing selfish. But hey, to each their own, but you can't argue with simple facts. While a divine, skilled and geared, can DPS(at about 33% efficiency) while healing most players neglect healing in favor of perhaps a very minor, 4-5% increase in damage on their part. And this is foolish. You want to do it? Don't join groups looking for healers.
    dont mistake being upset with disgust, which is what I reguard you with, roughly about the same I would someone who is racist or the like. See what you keep failing to comprehend is the game your going on about failed long ago. You see here is the fact you cant seem to grasp, the game your describing with a nanny bot watching others play does not exist. Not here in DDO where during the age when divines learned to never pug the game dried up rapidly as people couldnt get anything done without a healer prior to dungeon scaling and hirelings. Even now its not at all uncommon to see pug lfms lead by the inexperienced or hide bound to have the divine classes icon be the only one flagged with something newbish like need healer in the text. Signs to any skilled divine to stay away and to often solo the content while sending a tell to the leader saying im a divine soloing that same content on a higher dif and would never want to work with mana sponges.

What you cant seem to grasp is the game you want that 1/12 of the party to be playing is a game no one wants to play and few will stick around to do. Content that forces the need for healing means players build to heal or fail that is fact. Trying to use the xp a min meta game zerg as your foundation does not help your position as extremely few people play that way over all and trying to use it as a basis is like trying to use perma death as a basis for how things should work.

toodles kitten when you learn to play DDO and not WoW maybe people will care what you think. And I say kitten as a term of endearment if it offends you I can only imagine you hate kittens. Why? what did kittens ever do to you besides be cute.

The only accurate way to "screen" someone is to run a quest or three with them.
    Well said.
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "As the party's resident trap expert ..." <dies with smug yet surprised expression on face>

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    Well...Duh!

At level 25 you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least one Destiny fully capped.

12 level 25 Bards could destroy Elite Shroud, hell they used to do All Bard Shrouds when the cap was 20.
    This is the problem with raiders, they see what they do as END GAME instead of farming trash content which is what it is when you run content that was end game when we had a lvl 14 cap in an era with epic lvls and ED powers.

Trying to talk reason with someone who wants to see what they do as special instead of below average is a lost cause imo. Until they get that a heroic bit of content isnt even at max dif meant to challenge even one ED user let alone 12 they are not going to get anything else said to them no matter how plainly spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Yep. The only things you can see when you accept someone into your party are their HP, their level split, and whatever they type into party chat as soon as they get there.

As long as they aren't Clr6/FvS7/Sorc7 and don't start the conversation with "WAT HOUS?" then the HP is the only thing that will give any indication of their ability to contribute to the quest.
    can't see the relation between hp and the ability of someone to contribute to the quest

1 hour ago did the pit elite (lfm said byoh, know the quest)

joined 2 adventurers with less than half my hp (200 or so, dunno how reached it, guess i spent more AP in toughness enhancements to solo more) and said they knew the quest

did it in 25 mins or so (34k btw, nice 20% extra) and both died 1 time each

contributed to the quest? i think so, my friend and me had more fun than duoing it, because challenge is fun

cakewalk all the day is boring, sometimes is nice, those times SOLO, when u pug can't use things like splash or hp to determine players ability, at least when i pug i know i can take 5 gimps til end of quest, if not i would be soloing instead of telling other players to play as i would

the question to those hp-defenders is: aren't you all so gimps than even using hp as excuse aren't unable to complete quests?

what has shocked me is... did someone tell something like using myddo to accept/decline pugs? really? trololol, well, better reroll the attitude/brain
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    can't see the relation between hp and the ability of someone to contribute to the quest
    Soulstones have terrible DPS.

It's *absolutely* true that some players can get by with far fewer HP than some other players need to work with. It's also true that a level 23 Wizard with 160 HP probably isn't going to last through an entire Fall of Truth. Even on Normal.

I don't /kick people from parties for low HP, but I do end up looking at HP when trying to figure out how to deal with a quest appropriately.

And sometimes, I just accept that we're essentially 5-manning a quest even though we have 6 names in the party list. ...or 3-manning a quest even though we have 4 names in the party list. You get the idea.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

The only way you can tell if a player is going to contribute to the quest is if you have quested with them before and you know that they are good.

Anything other than that, and you are taking a wild guess.

Their class split, no matter how odd you think it is, does NOT tell you if they are a good player or a bad player. Neither does their HP, or their SP, or the gear listed on MyDDO. And if they ask "what house", that doesn't tell you anything at all. Though if you kick them for asking what house, that tells them quite a bit about you.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

The only way you can tell if a player is going to contribute to the quest is if you have quested with them before and you know that they are good.

Anything other than that, and you are taking a wild guess.

Their class split, no matter how odd you think it is, does NOT tell you if they are a good player or a bad player. Neither does their HP, or their SP, or the gear listed on MyDDO. And if they ask "what house", that doesn't tell you anything at all. Though if you kick them for asking what house, that tells them quite a bit about you.
    It's possible that a Clr 6/FvS 7/Sor 7 is just trying to challenge themselves. If so, it's quite a challenge. If someone is level 23 and has 160 HP, then they might just be trying to challenge themselves. Maybe they really are just that good. But it's not likely.

It's a guess, but it's an educated guess.

I don't tend to kick people from parties (with one exception), but there are clear indications that suggest a player is not going to pull their own weight in a quest. Sometimes I end up surprised that a player is less bad than I expected. I have not yet been amazed at the astonishing performance of a player who has less than 200 HP at level 20. Maybe it will happen someday. I'm not going to hold my breath.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

dont mistake being upset with disgust, which is what I reguard you with, roughly about the same I would someone who is racist or the like. See what you keep failing to comprehend is the game your going on about failed long ago. You see here is the fact you cant seem to grasp, the game your describing with a nanny bot watching others play does not exist. Not here in DDO where during the age when divines learned to never pug the game dried up rapidly as people couldnt get anything done without a healer prior to dungeon scaling and hirelings. Even now its not at all uncommon to see pug lfms lead by the inexperienced or hide bound to have the divine classes icon be the only one flagged with something newbish like need healer in the text. Signs to any skilled divine to stay away and to often solo the content while sending a tell to the leader saying im a divine soloing that same content on a higher dif and would never want to work with mana sponges.

What you cant seem to grasp is the game you want that 1/12 of the party to be playing is a game no one wants to play and few will stick around to do. Content that forces the need for healing means players build to heal or fail that is fact. Trying to use the xp a min meta game zerg as your foundation does not help your position as extremely few people play that way over all and trying to use it as a basis is like trying to use perma death as a basis for how things should work.

toodles kitten when you learn to play DDO and not WoW maybe people will care what you think. And I say kitten as a term of endearment if it offends you I can only imagine you hate kittens. Why? what did kittens ever do to you besides be cute.
    You don't even read what I type, do you? In any case, divines can heal while doing their cool awesome 30% DPS build, but apparently you can't understand or comprehend this. As such, I believe we're done discussing the matter.

I also love the references to WoW, a game which sold a mount for more monetary gain than all of DDO. In any case, don't bother responding to this, as I won't read it or respond.

Well...Duh!

I see 25s dying all day in elite shrouds I run, where as the worst of the worst PMs can run through waterworks with their aura on and literally never lose HP.

An elite shroud still has kill potential to a 25, albeit a small one, and almost non existent one to decent players. However, open an elite BYOH and only let divines who won't heal others or no divines at all in and watch the people die.

theres a deathward clicky that's fairly easy to get from Tangleroot. lasts for 5 minutes. no need for lesser restore pots than. just from TRing and not looking specifically for them, I now have 6 of these clickies. I often solo elite at level necro 1-3. I go through about 50 lesser pots if im not deathwarded per quest that do that kind of stat damage. with Vol, the DW clicky is enough with 2 shrines. no shrines if you zerg it.

I forgot about the spiders in Von II. they do CHA damage pretty fast and that's when a divine is useful. not sure if DW actually prevents it though. when I solo it, I just stay close to the ladder and fight them. after a few hits from the spiders, I fall down, drink some pots and do it again. its tedious and slower that way, but it gets the job done.
    Death Ward does not protect against the melee attacks that spectres and other incorporeal units use that debilitate ability scores, which includes virtually all ability damage one sustains in temple of Vol. Also, lesser pots will not get you through those fights unless you meticulously pull one at a time.

My 16 has ~650 HP, FVS who joined the group had 220, this was today for an elite running with the devils. Spells in there hit for ~130-160 and can hit twice in rapid succession, meaning that the favored soul can die before he can react to heal himself. In fact there were instances where I was struck down to about 200 HP, or taking double his health in damage, before I could get a quickened repair off.

Simply put, his health is simply unacceptable beyond sitting out of combat and topping us off between the mob fights. Do we need this? No, recon scrolls and our spells can do that. What will he contribute to a quest he can't do? Nothing, but a harder dungeon, possibly more wasted resources as I'd likely have to raise him, and -10% exp. And I hate when people tell me it's just 10% exp, that is by far the most infuriating thing some 200 HP superstar can tell me after he dies.

Death Ward does not protect against the melee attacks that spectres and other incorporeal units use that debilitate ability scores, which includes virtually all ability damage one sustains in temple of Vol. Also, lesser pots will not get you through those fights unless you meticulously pull one at a time.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Negative_energy

DW is your friend in Necro. when I solo Necro quests, I don't run into a room and agro everything, but I don't usually pull one at a time either. usually 3-5 at a time, except in Vol. I fight the entire room at a time. as a melee, I can still complete these quests at level on elite in 30 minutes or less with max xp and no big problems by using some tactics and being prepared.

oh! so we were talking about dps?!

ask for turbine to implement some dps-meter

would be nice like ddo players killed rpg in there
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Simply put, his health is simply unacceptable beyond sitting out of combat and topping us off between the mob fights. Do we need this? No, recon scrolls and our spells can do that. What will he contribute to a quest he can't do? Nothing, but a harder dungeon, possibly more wasted resources as I'd likely have to raise him, and -10% exp. And I hate when people tell me it's just 10% exp, that is by far the most infuriating thing some 200 HP superstar can tell me after he dies.
    I have disagreed with most of what you have said in this thread...but this comment 100% true for me too.

I have never kicked someone due to HP...

But I absolutely get annoyed with those 1 hit wonders and then they say the whole "Its only 10%".

My view is this, "If you can't live through Elite content...you just are not ready for Elite content."

Another example is the 100% non self-sufficient player who does not have a single clicky, and plays only with WASD and their left mouse button...
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I have disagreed with most of what you have said in this thread...but this comment 100% true for me too.

I have never kicked someone due to HP...

But I absolutely get annoyed with those 1 hit wonders and then they say the whole "Its only 10%".

My view is this, "If you can't live through Elite content...you just are not ready for Elite content."

Another example is the 100% non self-sufficient player who does not have a single clicky, and plays only with WASD and their left mouse button...
    When that happens to me, i reply: its not even 10%. But if you recall, youre out.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast