Default New Movie might not happen

hey all just saw this.

Toy company Hasbro Inc. has filed a lawsuit against Sweetpea Entertainment, alleging that it has no right to make a new film based on the "Dungeons and Dragons" brand.

The reboot, penned by David Johnson ("Wrath of the Titans") is based on the obscure game "Chainmail" that D&D creator E. Gary Gygax developed first.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction to stop the project moving forward. Said project is currently in development at Warner Bros. Pictures, though Warners is NOT listed as a defendant.

They say Sweetpea Entertainment acquired the rights to "Dungeons & Dragons" in 1994 which were used to make the 2000 live-action feature. They also claim those rights have since reverted back to the toy company.

Ent
    Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
    Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?

Quote Originally Posted by enteriiblackwater View Post
    hey all just saw this.

Toy company Hasbro Inc. has filed a lawsuit against Sweetpea Entertainment, alleging that it has no right to make a new film based on the "Dungeons and Dragons" brand.

The reboot, penned by David Johnson ("Wrath of the Titans") is based on the obscure game "Chainmail" that D&D creator E. Gary Gygax developed first.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction to stop the project moving forward. Said project is currently in development at Warner Bros. Pictures, though Warners is NOT listed as a defendant.

They say Sweetpea Entertainment acquired the rights to "Dungeons & Dragons" in 1994 which were used to make the 2000 live-action feature. They also claim those rights have since reverted back to the toy company.

Ent
    Long time no see, Ent.

Now excuse me... I need to go over there and grab an onion to shed some tears over this...
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

hey all just saw this.

Ent
    Hm... I'm still curious about this movie....

But if sweetpea is the people who made the 2000 live action movie... and the script is by "Wrath of the titans" people......

I feel pretty sure the movie will be a mediocre money grab (25-40% on rotten tomatoes?)

Maybe Hasbro is (not the greedy company it is) afraid of this possible "quality failure"..... hehehe....

hey all just saw this.

Ent
    Probably just as well. The movie sucked eggs.

The SyFy movies kinda stunk too, though the one with the Draco Lich had its moments.

The biggest problem with fanatasy movies is writing. The most recent Conan reboot wasn't bad, though there were about 20 minutes of that film that just needed to be flat-out redone. The only decent fantasy films thus far that I've seen have been the 70s Dragonslayer Disney movie, and the Peter Jackson stuff (which has some extreme cheese moments as well). But as soon as they make a movie based on D&D, the put their "crack" writers on it, and it becomes trash.

And when I say "crack," it usually means the substance the writers use for inspiration, and not their level of output...

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Probably just as well. The movie sucked eggs.

The SyFy movies kinda stunk too, though the one with the Draco Lich had its moments.

The biggest problem with fanatasy movies is writing. The most recent Conan reboot wasn't bad, though there were about 20 minutes of that film that just needed to be flat-out redone. The only decent fantasy films thus far that I've seen have been the 70s Dragonslayer Disney movie, and the Peter Jackson stuff (which has some extreme cheese moments as well). But as soon as they make a movie based on D&D, the put their "crack" writers on it, and it becomes trash.

And when I say "crack," it usually means the substance the writers use for inspiration, and not their level of output...
    Ok there are two ways to take a DnD film... not a DnD type film, but one with Dungeons and Dragons name on it....

Neither are likely to EVER have a very high rating on scorecard (rotten tomatos, metta critic... etc) for a couple of reasons. For anyone who wants to point at Lord of the Rings and go "look fantasy can do that"... that's based on one core story of one set of books, there are a WHOLE LOT of places where dnd can go, and none of them besides maybe... MAYBE the Dragonlance Chronicles or the story of Elminster will be able to pull in the kind of money a flick like that would need to do a big action sci fi lotr-palooza.

So lets look at the two dnd movies we ave... the first one which is universally panned as a bad movie.. and honestly its a bad action movie. Yet at the same time adjust your look at it from a movie to a dnd play session.... Honestly if you've ever played dnd think about it like that. Maybe then you'll see that a lot of the off beat stuff, a lot of the one liners, a lot of the overly dramatic stuff from Irons, the campy hero story line.... its all STRAIT OUT OF A WEEKEND DND ROLEPLAY WITH YOUR BUDDIES BENDER.

I went to see that movie back when it came out with my actual dnd group at the time, and every 10 minuites or so after Marlon Wayans did something, atleast one or two of the 4 guys with me would turn and tell me to get out of he damn movie. At that time we were in the middle of an off campaign from our normal long time campaign. In the off campaign I was playing as a rogue who was rather monetarily obsessed, and well... to put it mildly he spent a bit to much time hitting on the local princess . We all looked at that movie and saw my character in it, and another character from in the group.... but every character on screen all of us had seen in our time playing dnd played by someone or other.

This... this is what a dnd movie should be. A movie about the game experience told through the game itself. The first dnd movie tried it, succeeded to a degree but not enough for people to sit back and go yep that's what it was. To many people saw it and thought along the lines of general fantasy, and not a single person who watched who never spent a wed night till midnight with 4 of his buddies sitting around a table signing KILL THE DRUID KILL THE DRUID would really understand it.

The second dnd movie is more typical sword and sorcery fantasy with a more serious story line etc. It's dnd by focusing on THE QUEST, rather than just being a generic movie, it hung itself on the trope of dnd in go there kick the bad guys ass rescue the damazel, win. EXPERIENCE HUZZAH... I mean the chick at the end gets more spells, yada yada ... lol

That way when done right can be a very good movie, and the 2nd dnd movie really wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it for what it was, lower budget fantasy trying to tell a dnd type story line. Yet I don't think that's the type of movie dnd should put out, I know I'm in the minority here, but I just think another dnd movie should be in the vain of the first movie, what type of adventure comes around from a couple of nerds getting together for a night or two, sitting around drinkin coke, munching on twix. What kind of story is gonna come out of that, and how much 4th wall breaking is there.... quite often a lot.

I know that type of movie will never truly be made to be some big box office blast, there simply not enough people out there who would want to see that, or played that would make it that kind of hit.

Also as another aside to dnd as a movie property, the backlash dnd suffered back in the 70s and 80s over being satanic and all that other **** was never truly forgotten. There is still many older people who's idea of dnd is very close minded, and that has passed on to the next generation, maybe not the current generation, but still. Its still prevalent enough in this day and age to hurt the viability of a film or a film franchise.

Honestly, I don’t care much for independent “ratings.” I’m a big Horror, SciFi buff and some of the egghead, highly-rated stuff generally tends to suck. You go to a movie to get immersed in the experience, and be entertained.

I’ll admit that I’m not a huge PnP player. I was a bit of a loner when I was a kid, and DnD was not a solo game. But the fascinating thing about DnD itself is that the early stuff – and I’m talking stuff like Grayhawk here – had some really GOOD stories to draw from. Even now as I kinda poke around with the old NWN game, and download some of those old modules that they converted for the game, a lot of the lore and backstory used is actually quite good. With a little imagination, you could easily make a full-length movie out of more or more of those modules, and in the right hands it would be pretty entertaining.

Instead, what they come up with is this over-the-top swords and sorcery **** that ends up being stuffy, or campy, and provides neither provides immersion, or makes any of it even remotely believable. The characters have zero depth, or they end up going to the other extreme to the point that the delivery of their lines seems ham-handed.

While this is a borderline example of a good fantasy movie, Reign of Fire with Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale was actually a GREAT flick. Putting aside Christian Bale’s awful accent (not believable whatsoever), what you had as a cornerstone of the movie was a protagonist desperate to hang on to what he had, and McConaughey’s character whose shell-shocked mind was tap dancing on the tattered edges of insanity. The movie was dark, grim, heroic, and kept you engrossed pretty much from start to finish. The only thing missing was a full-fledged fantasy element with swords, wizardry, and so on.

Instead, we get cartoonish characters, banal antagonists, and so on.

That second DnD movie had some real potential. I liked the rogue character (his lines needed to be tweaked), though the leader of the group was too archetypal, the barbarian chickie was WAY overdone, the main antagonist seemed more like a politician looking for a kickback from some special interest, and a lich that wasn’t even remotely scary. They should have killed that whole love interest backstory and substituted something else instead. Add another 15 minutes somewhere for additional explanations and backstory, and you would have been set.

At the very least, it wasn’t that laughable, cringe-inducing pap that Uwe Boll made using Dungeon Siege. How far have greats like Burt Reynolds and Ray Liotta fallen to have their name associated with that farce…

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxx View Post
    So lets look at the two dnd movies we ave... the first one which is universally panned as a bad movie.. and honestly its a bad action movie. Yet at the same time adjust your look at it from a movie to a dnd play session.... Honestly if you've ever played dnd think about it like that. Maybe then you'll see that a lot of the off beat stuff, a lot of the one liners, a lot of the overly dramatic stuff from Irons, the campy hero story line.... its all STRAIT OUT OF A WEEKEND DND ROLEPLAY WITH YOUR BUDDIES BENDER.
    I think my PnP sessions from 25 years ago had much less Three Stooges in them. I recall seeing the movie The 13th Warrior and thinking the same thing; "this movie progresses exactly how a our campaigns would go!" you've got the muscle bound guys, the ranger/tracker, a thievy/smart guy, and a leader. Sure it had Antonio Bandaras in it, but I'll still watch it today. I think that is the only movie with AB that I ever enjoyed.

I went and read the book afterwards and loved the story even more.

Both? Output usually smells akin to crack residue...

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

... I was a bit of a loner when I was a kid, and DnD was not a solo game. …

Off-topic a sec:

You seriously missed out then. D&D in the early days was exactly what saved a lot of us 'loners' from jumping off a bridge, in a manner of speaking. Where we found and met other loners and found out that we weren't really completely alone.

..and yes, I soloed a LOT when I first started, being the town I grew up in had a whopping 250 people. (Thanks be to the "Dungeon Creation" charts in the old DMG.) And even there, my group eventually grew to 6-7 guys. (no girls, tho.)

Burt finally realized he's just a has-been with a 'stache, and Ray? Well, has Ray really done anything more than become a typecast psycho-villian?
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 05-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Probably just as well. The movie sucked eggs.The SyFy movies kinda stunk too, though the one with the Draco Lich had its moments.The biggest problem with fanatasy movies is writing. The most recent Conan reboot wasn't bad, though there were about 20 minutes of that film that just needed to be flat-out redone. The only decent fantasy films thus far that I've seen have been the 70s Dragonslayer Disney movie, and the Peter Jackson stuff (which has some extreme cheese moments as well). But as soon as they make a movie based on D&D, the put their "crack" writers on it, and it becomes trash.And when I say "crack," it usually means the substance the writers use for inspiration, and not their level of output...
    I thought by "Crack" you were referring to plumber's attire...
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

So long as we have more

and less

then it'll be all good.

part one...

http://deadgentlemen.com/

they are now making Gamers #3....

low budget - somewhat campy - but spot on.

As far a big budget - it has to be inclusive - so it is about the characters (So title "Shadowfell Conspiracy" not D&D the movie) (sets up sequels to be stand alone with progressive character development)

Community Member

hey all just saw this.

Ent
    live action ddo movie? O.o? stupid question whats the name o.o?

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreAkura View Post
    live action ddo movie? O.o? stupid question whats the name o.o?
    Dungeons and Dragons

According to IMDb there are only three titles ever produced by Sweetpea Entertainment, the original Dungeons and Dragons movie being one of them. Usually I am no fan injunctions and intellectual property law (in its current implementation, not as matter of general principle) but that is the same studio responsible for Wrath of the Dragon God. Good riddance someone stopped them.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz