Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Community Member

Barbs can swing a stick REALLY well and hurt things...They can also drink a Restore pot or haste pot of Cure Serious Pot (when the CLR is OOM)
    Drinking a restore pot to remove 1d4 stat damage a shot is definitely effective against negative levels and massive stat damage. Also you can do this while helpless, so that's another thing this has going for it.

Drinking a haste potion every 30 seconds is not a DPS loss when compared to having a 5 minute haste cast before a fight. But haste costs a lot of mana these days, and it's like what, +10 extended? Lot to ask.

Cure serious pots put a big dent in that 800 HP deficit when mobs swing for 3x the amount the pot heals with stacked AMP. So this must be a viable strategy.

An OOM cleric, is that even possible anymore? I suppose it could be if you don't know how to manage your resources, but I guess it's the same people who don't know how to manage their GCDs and let players die, blaming it on the fact they should have self healing to make them feel better about not being able to keep red bars pushed.

I don't play a barb, I personally don't enjoy the class, but it's a very common tactic when losing at logic to accuse opponents of something. I've played most of the spectrum the game has to offer in terms of classes, barbarian's aren't one I enjoyed. I actually play a melee based divine, the difference is I don't have the broken logic that I can match a real DPS's damage. Sure, playing through the game, I've run into DPS that I can easily top but when it comes to actual good players? Not even close.

I do not give randoms SP pots because there hasn't been a single divine in a raid that I haven't carried. At the same time, I don't use them, I just collect them. If I do need to use one, concentrated ones are far more efficient. I did, back in the day, give a few during an elite shroud to some terrible divine who had trouble casting mass heal every cooldown, obviously a waste.

It's funny, that's exactly how I feel about a Cleric or FvS who only heals and doesn't bother to kill enemies
    I think divines should all have the capability to deal damage, but a divine capable of dealing damage is gear intensive, stat intensive, and generally reserved for TRs. New players can't start the game with a TR'd character, and newer players generally have trouble with the mechanics of healing in this game because they're so different from other MMOs. For this reason alone I do not hate on nannybots, the other reason for this is due to the fact that despite the overwhelming opinion against mine in this thread, a nannybot is extremely beneficial when coupled with several strong DPS characters. Not that my(or my friends') characters don't have the ability to self heal, but when you're being babysat with heals, it smooths things along and speeds quests along.

That said, I'd rather have a -smart- divine. There are quests where healing is few and far, in which case they should be dealing damage. There are quests, however, where this is -not- the case. The problem with almost every divine I've run into is they cannot handle dealing with healing a party and dealing damage. It's all easy and well throwing a heal on yourself every time you drop under half to top yourself off, but healing a group of melees requires positioning and timing. You can't let the weakest die before your heal, but you can't waste you mana inefficiently throwing heals too soon.

Flat out, the ability level of most divines are so low they're incapable of both damaging and healing groups effectively, so they simply don't. What's more fun? Well, this is a personal question, but from the responses of the thread I'd say you're all interested in those big damage numbers and kill counts. To this I simply say you're playing the wrong class if damage is your concern, but I see the appeal of playing a divine. You can heal yourself, it's like building a DPS class with self healing, but not having to do anything for the self healing. That's awesome, right? Well, if only divines weren't a third of a real damage dealer, this could be the case.

is this DDOisfree in disguise? he seems to know about the game a lot like him

Default Takes 2 sides to tango

Quote Originally Posted by EarlofPain View Post
    So moral of the stories is have enough hit points to play your style. High saves, high dodge, high PRR, and High AC all give that hp total a chance to go lower vs. mobs. However you still need to have enough hit points to take 2-3 good shots from the end boss and live.
    That means if you are accepting members into your party, don't just kick people out of hand because they have fewer HP than you think they should. They MAY just be a better player and don't need what you do to accomplish the same goals. Not ALWAYS the case, but I've been surprised enough times to think twice before I kick that 60 HP level 10 wizard. I've never been WRONG in that narrow instance, but I still think twice.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    That means if you are accepting members into your party, don't just kick people out of hand because they have fewer HP than you think they should. They MAY just be a better player and don't need what you do to accomplish the same goals. Not ALWAYS the case, but I've been surprised enough times to think twice before I kick that 60 HP level 10 wizard. I've never been WRONG in that narrow instance, but I still think twice.
    I always take the first people to hit my LFM. I'd say it leads to successful completions about 99% of the time.

Sometimes you encounter a jerk who is no fun to quest with. The number of HP a person has is not an indication of whether they are a jerk. It's all in how they play.

Most often, you encounter players ranging from average to great. This also has nothing to do with their HP, or SP, or class split, or whatever.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifyQuC View Post
    Drinking a restore pot to remove 1d4 stat damage a shot is definitely effective against negative levels and massive stat damage. Also you can do this while helpless, so that's another thing this has going for it.
    Where do you get restore pots? I've never even seen one drop in a quest, much less know of a vendor that sells them, unless (and no offense) this is more DDO FORUM HYPERBOLE , where everyone starts at level 25 and there's no such thing as rare loot, in which case carry on! If you are talking about lesser restore pots, those are suck time.

I am running a FVS this life, currently at level 12 (OMG RLY?! Yep, it's true, I'm not capped yet). I carry restoration so that while the melee is gently punching a mob in the mommydaddy button I can keep neg levels off of them. That makes my heals more efficient. THAT means I don't have to be in there fighting and can move on to another mob. THAT means we move through mobs faster. THAT means we finish the quest more quickly.

Making a melee guzzle potions when you have SP and are standing right there, even if it's not in a quest, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Topping off that last 50 HP or so, I'm all for. Making them heal through 400 HP because I have my head so far up my butt I can see my food coming doesn't mean I'm some awesome divine, it means I'm a no talent d-bag who should be soloing instead of taking my snooty buns out in the general populace.

I really have no quarrel with the guy I just quoted, other than telling me where I can get resto pots, but have seen/ heard this with alarming repetition my last few lives. My last life (fighter) when they said that, I would fight, then when I got to a low enough HP I would round up all aggro and bring it back to them and hit diplomacy so I could heal up while they died. D-Bag move? You betcha. Did I feel bad? Nope. Even if that meant a wipe, I'd still do it. If they were able to handle all the aggro while I potted up, then we're golden and we move on. If not, maybe out of the 98% of knuckleheads who say stuff like "just pot up" 1 or 2 will get that in order to complete some content we need to work together. The others rage quit and give me fodder for MOAR drama threadz, so I win either way.

Relying completely and fully on a healer is lame. A cleric who refuses to buy into teamwork but joins a group in a team-based game is also lame. The same, they are, young Skywalker. A difference, there is none.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Nerf Happiness

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I think divines should all have the capability to deal damage, but a divine capable of dealing damage is gear intensive, stat intensive, and generally reserved for TRs.
    That is just WILDLY inaccurate.

It takes a small amount of gear and a minor investment in Feats and enhancements to be able to deal a significant amount of damage to enemies in a quest or raid. It does take a few lives and some impressive gear to hit the absolute apex of Divine DPS, but the same is true of any character build.

Blade Barrier is an amazing spell. It takes 2 feats (Empower + Maximize) and one piece of gear (Potency) to get really good Blade Barriers. A zillionth life Artificer with the absolute top end gear can make *better* Blade Barriers, but a 28 point Cleric or FvS on their first life with Empower, Maximize and Potency can still tear up enemies in a quest (even on Elite) with a Blade Barrier. Same deal with Divine Punishment, etc.

Any Cleric or FvS can swing a two handed weapon. They aren't likely to do as much damage as a well built and well played Barbarian, but even half of the Barbarian's DPS is still worlds better than nothing.

Now, you ABSOLUTELY are correct that it takes some practice to learn how to fight and heal at the same time. It's more challenging than the "RAR! I'm going to charge forward and attack and not even bother to look at my own HP, much less anyone else's!" attitude that many DPS focused players in the game have. But it's certainly not impossible and it is absolutely something that Divine characters should be working toward. You can stand at the back of the party, picking your nose and waiting until someone needs you to throw them a Heal or you can wade through a dungeon, leaving the bloody corpses of your enemies in your wake and still throw a Heal to one of your party members when they need it. Which is better?

DDO is not that hard of a game. Healing and fighting at the same time is not some kind of insurmountable challenge that only the top 0.5% of the player base can manage.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Where do you get restore pots? I've never even seen one drop in a quest, much less know of a vendor that sells them, unless (and no offense) this is more DDO FORUM HYPERBOLE , where everyone starts at level 25 and there's no such thing as rare loot, in which case carry on! If you are talking about lesser restore pots, those are suck time.

I am running a FVS this life, currently at level 12 (OMG RLY?! Yep, it's true, I'm not capped yet). I carry restoration so that while the melee is gently punching a mob in the mommydaddy button I can keep neg levels off of them. That makes my heals more efficient. THAT means I don't have to be in there fighting and can move on to another mob. THAT means we move through mobs faster. THAT means we finish the quest more quickly.

Making a melee guzzle potions when you have SP and are standing right there, even if it's not in a quest, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Topping off that last 50 HP or so, I'm all for. Making them heal through 400 HP because I have my head so far up my butt I can see my food coming doesn't mean I'm some awesome divine, it means I'm a no talent d-bag who should be soloing instead of taking my snooty buns out in the general populace.

I really have no quarrel with the guy I just quoted, other than telling me where I can get resto pots, but have seen/ heard this with alarming repetition my last few lives. My last life (fighter) when they said that, I would fight, then when I got to a low enough HP I would round up all aggro and bring it back to them and hit diplomacy so I could heal up while they died. D-Bag move? You betcha. Did I feel bad? Nope. Even if that meant a wipe, I'd still do it. If they were able to handle all the aggro while I potted up, then we're golden and we move on. If not, maybe out of the 98% of knuckleheads who say stuff like "just pot up" 1 or 2 will get that in order to complete some content we need to work together. The others rage quit and give me fodder for MOAR drama threadz, so I win either way.

Relying completely and fully on a healer is lame. A cleric who refuses to buy into teamwork but joins a group in a team-based game is also lame. The same, they are, young Skywalker. A difference, there is none.
    You can get Restoration pots by turning in Druid Commendations in Eveningstar. If you are level 12 on a first life you are highly unlikely to have access to Eveningstar or restoration pots.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Where do you get restore pots?
    THE NECROPOLIS

Mikela Ravenspear
    Potion of Lesser Restoration - 30 Vol Prayer Charms
    Potion of Shield of Faith +5 - 10 Marks of Favor
    Potion of Death Ward (ML:1 CL:20) - 5 Abbott's Rings

Ninevah Shadowsbough
    Elixir of Moderate Healing - 30 Vol Prayer Charms
    Lesser Petrify Runestone - 10 Marks of Favor
    Potion of Restoration - 5 Abbott's Rings

Community Member

What you quoted was a lesser restoration pot, which you can buy from house J or K vendors. You can get actual restore pots through collectable turn ins or druid(iirc) commendations. This may come as a surprise but that statement was complete sarcasm, as drinking a lesser restore does not remove a negative level nor is it efficient at all for removing all but 1-2 stat damage.

A full DPS barb/fighter, classes with no inherent ways to heal themselves, never rely completely on healers until the very end game. And even then, if you stat a little bit of amp and drink SF pots you'll be able to keep yourself alive in most content. I never said people should rely on healers, because frankly the pool of players who touch the divine class are selfish disgraces 90% of the time.

This is the point I'm trying to get across. Let's assume the raid is Elite shroud.
    12 barbarians built well with amp+SF pots can complete this.
    11 barbarians with amp+SF pots and a divine who only heals himself can complete this.
    11 barbarians with amp+sf pots and a divine who heals the party can complete this.

11 barbs+divine healing party > 12 barbarians > 11 barbs+seflish divine in terms of how fast the raid gets completed.

What you quoted was a lesser restoration pot, which you can buy from house J or K vendors. You can get actual restore pots through collectable turn ins or druid(iirc) commendations. This may come as a surprise but that statement was complete sarcasm, as drinking a lesser restore does not remove a negative level nor is it efficient at all for removing all but 1-2 stat damage.

A full DPS barb/fighter, classes with no inherent ways to heal themselves, never rely completely on healers until the very end game. And even then, if you stat a little bit of amp and drink SF pots you'll be able to keep yourself alive in most content. I never said people should rely on healers, because frankly the pool of players who touch the divine class are selfish disgraces 90% of the time.

This is the point I'm trying to get across. Let's assume the raid is Elite shroud.
    11 barbarians with amp+SF pots and a divine who only heals himself can complete this.
    11 barbarians with amp+sf pots and a divine who heals the party can complete this.

11 barbs+divine healing party > 12 barbarians > 11 barbs+seflish divine in terms of how fast the raid gets completed.
    I've seen all palemaster shrouds, all fvs shrouds, never seen an all barb shroud, somehow I don't think it will go as well as you think it will, please screenshot it if it does.

actually a lesser restore can remove up to 4 stat damage (1d4). my main is a barb, I should know as I carry them religiously.

is this Shroud at level or with epic level barbs? if its at level, I would love to watch a Youtube vid.

Community Member

I don't play a barb thus I can't screenshot it. Besides, I doubt I could muster together 4-5 good barb players much less 11.

I've pointed out multiple times now they're 1d4, but unless you're cheating or the luckiest man alive they're realistically only useful for removing 1-2 stat damage penalties. Any more and you're just wasting your time drinking pots when a divine could of already cleansed the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I've seen all palemaster shrouds, all fvs shrouds, never seen an all barb shroud, somehow I don't think it will go as well as you think it will, please screenshot it if it does.
    shade did it and has screenshots

hob

Edit: ok maybe not shade, but still

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...rbarian+shroud
    Last edited by Hobgoblin; 03-28-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post

hob

I think it's hysterical that Shade gets credit for that run.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post

hob

The 23 death portion says it was not as smooth as the other options to me. Gratz to those that did it. But not the smooth run that was claimed that would happen. With his claim >12 deaths=fail imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I think it's hysterical that Shade gets credit for that run.
    (11 x + 11 x ) > 12.

Thou canst have 66 people in thy raid group !
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

An OOM cleric, is that even possible anymore? I suppose it could be if you don't know how to manage your resources, but I guess it's the same people who don't know how to manage their GCDs and let players die, blaming it on the fact they should have self healing to make them feel better about not being able to keep red bars pushed.
    I generally only ever run outta SP when partying with really bad melees...

Whether that means lack of tactics...or healing amp...or needing me to spam restore on them...or they do that whole "I aggro 6 things because I have uber glancing blow dmg...so just shut up and heal me" thing.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Look kitten the only thing here that is a selfish disgrace is anyone thinking a divine characters duty is to heal others. Be it here or in PnP clerics are not healers, they have healing magic, and traditionally that is only meant to be used on the faithful. Id love personally for them to have a pick your religion at lvl one feat for all, and when healing those of other faiths it only does half effect or outright fails. It would help add depth to the RPG aspect of DDO that has long been lacking.

Its not a failing for someone enjoying the power of a self reliant divine warrior to ignore others, personally i always keep the party window closed as its imo a form of built in cheat/exploit against the spirit of D&D to be able to watch others health bars. That doesnt make me a bad player, it makes me a better one by the standards I use to judge people. People are each here to hack and slay for their own enjoyment, when pugging no one should be expected to lessen that fun for the sake of others they dont even know. If you want to build a retard DPS barb and stick with a static group of friends who accept such a build among the knock yourself out. Id rather run in a group of 6 random self reliants then be among such a static and stagnant rat pack.

Ive never met these huge numbers of disgraceful divines you speak of, as those in pugs rarely do other then their all to see completion, they tend to be very grateful when not expected to heal every little boo boo, some even surprised when a player would rather use heal scrolls on oneself rather then ask for a heal. The only kind of player I meet regularly in pugs who causes problems, inflicts social abuse on others, and in general shows a strong lack of social skills are pure retard dps barb and fighter specced builds players who seem to think they are the shining hero of the story and the rest are back ground characters there to support them. Thats it, the single and only frequent negative type of player I have encountered in DDO since year one. Literally thousands of them have crossed my path in pugs, never one disgraceful divine because it wasnt disgraceful for them to let someone die while they did battle, as they always once the battle is done( unless a long drawn out raid boss fight) will get those they can on their feet again, often apologizing for having let them fall, but viewing it as a trauma team leaders need to prioritize the scene.

You even claim to run a divine warrior, yet talk with some kind of fanboi lust for shade style barbs. Ill take a self repairing warforged shiradi over a frelling axer, and i loathe toasters like a saint loathes sin.

Default You win.

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    LOL you are almost as adorable as a 5 year old going bang bang i shot you I win.

Which speaking of by lvl 20+ anyone and everyone should be fully self sufficient with twists. If a barb doesnt have any ability to self heal rapidly by then, they have built a toon so gimp it needs to TR asap.
    Not to derail an already derailed thread even further, but how soon after 20 should I have all EDs and twists and everything? I got to 24 before TRing last time (going completionist, just took a small break to check out FR) and I got through only a couple EDs... and it was a pain. I'm really not trying to troll or bait you, but by what level would you EXPECT someone to have all these twists and stuff done?

For the record, I went magister a few lives ago on my wiz to check EDs out, and so last life on my fighter I had quite a ways to go to get to anything approaching a decent ED (Except fatesinger, which I loved). That means for quite a while I had lame shadowdancer EDs, and really since I don't 100% understand twists the ones I took from fatesinger rarely worked as the charges would disappear (no I'm not looking for help on that issue, just stating fact). By your statement the instant I hit 20 and realized I was in a worthless ED (magister) I should have rerolled because I had NO self healing options. How does that help?
    Nerf Happiness

I don't play a barb thus I can't screenshot it. Besides, I doubt I could muster together 4-5 good barb players much less 11.

I've pointed out multiple times now they're 1d4, but unless you're cheating or the luckiest man alive they're realistically only useful for removing 1-2 stat damage penalties. Any more and you're just wasting your time drinking pots when a divine could of already cleansed the stack.
    Only time i have had problems with stat damage is Necropolis quests. It takes 1 second to drink a lesser pot. Having a divine cleanse you everytime you have stat damage is a waste of their sp and a waste of me typing it out in chat or speaking the words in voice. When i roll drinking a lesser restore pot, i see 4's as common as 1's. I would only expect a new player to even ask a divine for a restore and not know about lesser restore pots.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast