Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye DDO

Lightbulb Goodbye DDO

I'm out. For a lot of reasons. I am not quiting just because of game balance or bad quest mechanics or poor loot or because my party had a lag-wipe. I am not quitting just because the devs are bad at their job or the game code is absolute dung and getting worse (it is) or because of power creep, or bugs, or even the far-too-soon new xpac and level increase coming up. I am not just hopping off the hamster wheel because in-store items are becoming more and more necessary to play this game, and I am basically f2p. It is all those things, but mostly, it's personal.

There are still a lot of things I want to do in this game. I am not quitting for lack of motivation or challenge. There is plenty of challenge for me in DDO. If I want challenge I can find it, even with the absurd gap between EH and EE. I want to get completionist on my main character. I want to have 3-4 more endgame-ready characters. I want to pull an item from citw. I want to upgrade my dragon armor to its max teir and get major arcane lore for maximal pwnage, as they say. This is not a "DDO is boring" rage-quit post. This isn't a rage-quit at all actually. I still love DDO, and will always love DDO. But DDO and I need a divorce. This is pretty emotional for me actually. Surprisingly so. I'm gonna miss it, terribly. I can already tell.

To turbine and the devs-after a few years of playing this game, I have come to realization that DDO is great despite it's developers. DDO is great despite it's investment in it's servers. DDO is great despite it's management. And DDO is definitely great despite it's customer service...I think most of you are bad at your jobs and are incompetent. I know none of you in real life but based on observations of your actions over the years I can come to that conclusion. I think most of you are utterly and completely out of touch with the needs, hopes and desires of the typical DDO player, let alone powergamer. I don't envy your jobs one bit, but I don't think you do them very well, either. I think WB should clean house.

Nerfs left and right for no reason, stealth changes, cash grabs so obvious a 8 year old would know it's wrong, refusal to do the right thing in SO many instances, GMs being stripped of most of their power. Management not being able to spell "dracolich". Promo videos with lvl 20+ characters doing 7 points of damage. Refusal to admit to lag. Refusal to update servers. Refusal to invest money in this game despite it being a cash cow. Bugs...so many bugs. I can't play for a minute without noticing something. A near-hilarious lack of basic things from version control to proof reading and customer data protection to renewing your domain name.

When I have played this game religiously for 2 years and I honestly can't tell the difference between what is a bug and what is WAI, that is somewhat sickening. 2 1/2 day downtimes. Lack of feedback on forums. I have no more respect for turbine and will have nothing to do with them ever again. I bought a couple point cards about two years ago. I remember running 8 miles to the nearest walmart to buy them, and running back, clutching those adventure packs in my hand. But I haven't spent any since. And I never will again.

Turbine you are not losing a cent by me leaving, so don't worry, this won't directly effect your bottom line, and that is quite clearly all you care about, so any turbine employees can stop reading now. Get back to nerfing things that are fine, not fixing things that are broken, and thinking of easy ways to pull cash that don't involve making quality content.

I probably sound bitter, but I'll take so many good memories with me. I don't know if it was time well spent but I certainly had fun. I remember rolling my first character (a dorf fighter). I remember killing my first monster (an undead rat). I remember completing my first quest (storehouse secret). I remember my first death (waterworks). I remember falling in love with arcanes. And divines. And melees (kinda). I remember joining my first guild. I remember my first critical hit over 100pts. I remember the first time hearing someones voice over chat. I remember blowing my first trapbox (). I remember my first wipe (invaders). I remember rolling my first warforged. So cool! I remember hitting lvl 20 my first time. I remember my first shroud (I died).

I remember soloing it (much) later, too. I somewhat remember my first dream about DDO (I was velah ). I remember making my first epic item (big top). I remember my first TR. I remember my first legend life. I remember grabbing a LOT of windows. I remember playing drunk the first time (I died). I remember getting greensteel the first time. I remember joining the zerg tribe . I remember zerging on elite during red alert with guildies and non-guildies alike, where one slip-up would mean a wipe. I remember saving my first raid from a wipe. I remember soloing my first VOD. I remember killing rushmore for 6 stars with 2 seconds to go. I remember myself, a couple Ordo guys and some guildies setting a world record in picture portals. . I remember my first LOB...it was literally epic . I remember my first solo EE (partycrashers). I remember falling in love with the randomness of shiradi champion. I remember talking **** with players. I remember people making me laugh late at night (out loud, even!).

But I'll take some bad ones too. I remember wiping due to server lag dozens if not hundreds of times. I remember my evoc archmage getting nerfed. I remember challenges getting nerfed. I remember items getting nerfed, and quests, and feats and spells and enhancements. I remember challenges getting nerfed (again). I remember not getting groups for IQ1/cannith flagging quests or amrath because the xp was too miserable, and still is. I remember exploits too numerous to mention, and nothing being done by turbine about it, particularly if it helped sell store items. I remember pay-to-win.

I remember obvious cash grabs that would have shamed any company with any sense of morals. I remember customer service that was by far the most miserably bad of any organization that I have ever interacted with. I remember waiting for hours for GMs and them being rude or useless. I remember seeing others get EDs before I did and them just doing crazy, overpowered things that blew my mind. I remember my WF characters getting poisoned, and diseased. I remember mobs rubberbanding after moving 30 feet and spam-resetting. I remember getting red DA for no reason. I remember stupid, stupid decisions made by devs that every player I talked to agreed was a stupid decision and bad for the game.

I remember my first all nighter playing DDO. I remember being home from college and walking down to get breakfast...and my mom asking me if I had slept (I hadn't). I remember missing a test in college because all I did for a week was TR. I remember passing out at 9-11am and waking up at 6-7pm and wearily crawling to the computer as dusk approached. I remember my contact lenses burning my eyes and ignoring it. I remember canceling plans with friends to play DDO. I remember the first time I called in sick to play DDO. I don't remember the 2nd, 3rd or other times... I remember sunlight hurting my eyes. I remember planning out characters on napkins during vacation. I remember someone referring to me as the one who looked tired all the time.

I sometimes wonder what I would do with all that time if I had never discovered this game. I've literally played this game for several thousand hours. I could have done so many things...started to learn a language (I live in a foreign country), invented something amazing, volunteered somewhere, got a 2nd job, even. I used to read so much. I could have met so many people, had so many more friends. Been a better friend to the ones I have. I could have aced any class I took in college. I could have ran 80 miles a week like I did in college instead of less than half that I do now. I could have not been afraid of sunlight (joking ).

And I want to do so many things in the future that I just don't see possible while DDO is in my life. I want to further my career. I want to be better at my job...I want to have a better social life, and eat healthier, not just fast food so I can get back to the grind. I want to learn how to cook more than just toast and instant noodles. I want to meet girls, lots of girls, or maybe just one awesome girl. I want to have a family, eventually. I want to make money. I want to be a (semi) functional member of society, not just a 23 year old kid that plays a game all day. I want to go out on the weekends more. I don't want to have tired eyes anymore. I want to have time for a religion where prayer does not involve sprint boost.

Finally, I want to say thanks for anyone that quested with me over the past couple years. The reason I didn't quit many moons ago was the people. Some of us had our differences, but not many-I tend to get along with most people . If you remember me, I probably remember you. Particularly my guildies. You guys are awesome, and it's been an absolute joy and pleasure experiencing your company. I won't soon forget you. Zerg on.

-Mech

(And yes, you can have my stuff...if you are on Cannith. I'll be giving it away over the next few days-guildies and friends have first dibs-then uninstalling sometime near the end of the week. Say my goodbyes and such. I might even quest a bit. But I'll be gone in a week. If I look back I am lost, as they say...)

Good luck man. I agree with almost everything you say wrt. quality and service (I
    have the red dots to prove it!)

Community Member

I wish you luck in everything you set out to do. I played on cannith, so i can say we are losing a good player to which i have great respect.

May the road rise to meet you.

Putting aside a favorite pastime in order to better oneself is quite respectable. However, I feel it is only fair to let you know that you can have all of those things and still play DDO (or any other game/hobby). It's just a matter of learning how to balance as best you can all spheres of life.

Despite just making my previous statement, I do understand why you would want to put DDO on the shelf for a while in favor of building up your life. I wish you well in your endeavors and hope all that you seek is obtained. Just know that when you do find that balance, DDO will (hopefully) still be here for you to make new DDO memories.
    The Blue Queen - Shadow Warriors - Cannith

www.twitch.tv/thebluequeen

I know the feeling.

Final Fantasy XI Online did to me what DDO did to you.

It is best you leave.

Good luck in your endeavors.

If you ever play an MMO again (I recommend getting away from this one for you)...keep it in its proper place.

I never XPed withya...but have enjoyed your posts on forums. I like your insight to certain builds and tactics.

You will find out that the real world is indeed better than any pretend world.

And about the bugs and cash grabs...I 100% agree with you.

I almost see the management here like dating a really great girl, but she has awful friends or an awful family. Its like you wonder if its really worth it.

Well dude...GL with everything man.

-Fellow Gamer Bacab
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Sad to hear it but I understand you.

You have, however, forgot to congratulate turbine on new creature companion.

Community Member

I do not know you and I am not even on Cannith. But your story touches me.

Sorry to hear you leaving but I don't think it is a bad thing to you.

Given your playstyle (which was also mine when I began playing DDO), leaving DDO can definitely bring a more meaningful and healthier life to you. After all, DDO is just a game, not a life.

Maybe some years later when you are more grown up (in terms of family life and career), you can come back to DDO and play in a totally different style and mindset, style and mindset for leisure and fun, and not for life.

Good luck to you! Remember not to play any other MMORPG.
    Last edited by Shunlee123; 03-04-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Community Member

I have quested with you a few times over the past two years, but not many. However I know your guild and have read many many of your forum posts. I know that your guild, the server and the forum community will miss your presence in this game .

Good luck in all your future endeavors!
    CANNITH player. Recently returned to the game after 2 years, proudly back with Skunkworks my old crew. Starting completionist project on my 4th life character Pyrau. Have 10 other epic characters across all play styles, some TRs.

Default Tribe's best leaves :(

That was somewhat expected after seeing many of your posts.

But you might wanna consider not leaving, just taking a break, and coming back later for a bit casual play. After all, you dont have to grind gear, or TR in a week.
    And as you said, this game is fun, despite all the frustrating decisions, why throw it away?

But anyway, i wish you farewell IRL. It was always fun to play with you.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

Community Member

Bye mech! Good luck
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

All the best MRMechMan. Thoroughly enjoyed reading a lot of your posts.

You raised some very valid points as to why you are leaving; unfortunately the people who really need to pay attention to the issues raised will ignore them.

Go now, and experience life. Party like 23 yr olds should. Meet that girl you mentioned. Just remember, when you do - don't zerg.

You probably dont remember me (Twengor), but i remember you, MrManMech.

Cannith is truly losing one of its best. You will be missed.

But from what you've been saying, it really is time for you to move on.

Best of luck in all you do.
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

This hits a lot of similar chords in me, Mech.

What ever else you do and where ever else you end up in (and whichever game peaks your interest), I wish you happy and Good Luck
    Last edited by Cesarai; 03-04-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Community Member

I just want to say it is actually possible to have a girl (wife), job, friends, even kids, and still play.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunted_Soul View Post
    Meet that girl you mentioned. Just remember, when you do - don't zerg.
    Let the girls do the zerging.

Wow gonna missing seeing you post so good bye and good luck

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I've never met you in game, but I can say these forums just lost one of their most lucid people. You've won DDO... can be a good change of pace to win RL instead.

Not everyone can balance their favorite past time and RL all the time... Having almost failed my semester last year due to not going to classes I didn't feel particularly engaged in to sleep in after playing til dawn, and trying (and so far succeeding!) to balance myself so RL comes first, I understand where you come from, and your post strikes deep emotion in me. I wish you success in your future endeavors, and if you ever decide to come back, it will be with a more mature mindset. Party hard... But not too hard.

Wish you luck.
    Last edited by DarkForte; 03-04-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Read the wall of text, and it seems you've achieved much more than I could ever achieve even if I doubled my playing time. Kudos to you for dropping it all and wanting better life. It is always a good excuse to give up something holding you back. Early 20s is the perfect time for a change and push your abilities to see what you're capable of in life.

When you've settled down in the years to come and feel like playing some DDO; you better have some zerglings with you, to teach them that the kobolds always hate you.

All the best

This is a goodbye post that should be printed out and passed around at the next turbine staff meeting.

Game design changes for the sake of "balance" don't bother me all that much. I've also been pretty tolerant of performance related issues, but I have to admit the negative trend is becoming more and more obvious.

The obvious cash grab tactics are really beginning to get to me though. I fully appreciate that the goal of any business is to make as much money as possible, but I think the decision makers are being very short sighted here.

Good luck to you on your future endeavors Mech.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Wow. Awesome post man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast