Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Agree with Matuse

I've personally completed about 120 hard-elite shrouds and epic devil assaults across twenty characters since dopants have been available in the game, and I've had zero drop for me outside of 20th lists.

Clearly in this thread, someone has used three so the drop rates have a high variability, but from what I've heard, most people are in my boat.

Dopants are quite valuable and I would suggest you only use them if you have utmost certainty that you will not use a particular greensteel item again.

Even then, I advocate keeping any and all greensteel you have made (even if it's a khopesh and you're on a monk life, for example) simply because I think the sunk cost of making them and their future possible utility outweighs any possible use you may have for a couple of larges and a signet stone.

The most certain example of what I'd decon is probably an item you've actually crafted the wrong properties for (screwed up dual shards, etc).
    Last edited by SealedInSong; 03-05-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added "hard-elite" for clarity
    Character Compendium

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SealedInSong View Post
    I've personally completed about 120 hard-elite shrouds and epic devil assaults across twenty characters since dopants have been available in the game, and I've had zero drop for me outside of 20th lists.

Clearly in this thread, someone has used three so the drop rates have a high variability, but from what I've heard, most people are in my boat.

Dopants are quite valuable and I would suggest you only use them if you have utmost certainty that you will not use a particular greensteel item again.

Even then, I advocate keeping any and all greensteel you have made (even if it's a khopesh and you're on a monk life, for example) simply because I think the sunk cost of making them and their future possible utility outweighs any possible use you may have for a couple of larges and a signet stone.

The most certain example of what I'd decon is probably an item you've actually crafted the wrong properties for (screwed up dual shards, etc).

I think you are looking at this from the very narrow standpoint of someone who either found the dopant or bought it with platinum. I(and I suspect the folks talking about having dopanted 3 items) bought my dopant from the DDO store. 395 TP, depending on how and when you got your points, thats about $5. I would NEVER spend a million plat on one, IF I found one that thing would be on the AH so fast the warforged running it would catch on fire. And he's amde of metal!

The other thing is you are working under the assumption that every greensteel was useful at one time or another. Sure, I would never dust a khopesh just because I was on a monk life. But I have a greensteel Great Crossbow that I was using as a raise-dead ckicly. Now I have a tripple positive repeater that supercedes it by functioning as a raise-dead clicky AND a useful weapon. No one actually uses Great Crossbows.

Now for the cost: a yellow dopant on the DDO store is about $5(probably less). That means that if I want another greensteel, if I run all of the quests instead of buying a store dopant, then best case scenario I am paying myself less than $5 an hour. And I really dislike some of the vale quests.

So, store dopant if you have real money and don't much care, random drop doppant otherwise.

Also as a fun side-note: a friend of mine has found 2 of them, so it seems like they are just like Hearts of Wood: very, very variable.

Default Shrug

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I think you are looking at this from the very narrow standpoint of someone who either found the dopant or bought it with platinum. (snip...)
    Also as a fun side-note: a friend of mine has found 2 of them, so it seems like they are just like Hearts of Wood: very, very variable.
    I'd say that buying something from the DDO store that you can find or buy in game without RL$ is the narrow perspective, but of course neither of as are polling the entire DDO community so this is just speculation.

From my experience, I seldom if ever hear of anyone on my server paying RL$ for anything but that which can solely be acquired from the store (adventure packs, armor kits, cosmetic helms, monk/druid class, and the like).

As far as the dopant drops, I did acknowledge the variability, but I think cursory forum searching confirms that's a pretty rare drop:
    Yellow dopant drop rate
    Dopant drop rate experiences
    Yellow dopant on wiki classified as "rare"

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    The other thing is you are working under the assumption that every greensteel was useful at one time or another.
    Well, yes, isn't that always the case except for the exception I mentioned (when someone messes up the crafting)? I must assume that if no mistakes are made in crafting, the crafted has made something useful to them at least for that life or until they get some better gear.

Then again, I've never heard of anyone crafting a great crossbow greensteel before, so more power to you. I love hearing people use underutilized features of the game.

Glad this thread was useful to you, and enjoy your new crossbow!
    Character Compendium

Community Member

No sooner did I make that post than the very same day I pulled a yellow dopant on a hard shroud run, lol.

Anyway, what I meant was that its narrow to assume every single person is only buying them for plat. You will find a disproprotiante number of people posting on the message boards about how they only buy them for plat, because the board population is heavily weighted with hardcore/power gamers. Heavily weighted, not entirely populated. I don't know what the ratio of found to bought docents is, but I know when I screwed up a greensteel necklace a few weeks ago I barely thought twice about DDO storing a dopant. If the store dopant wasnt there, I'd have vender-trashed it before buying a dopant for plat. Heck, at 1.25 million(the lowest price for a dopant on the AH at the time of this posting) I'd vender-trash a tier 3 dual-imbued shard before I bought a dopant for plat.

But at the same time, I know there are plenty of people who would think nothing of spending 1,250,000 plat on a dopant in order to avoid doing 5 or 6 shorud runs, but would never even consider "pay 2 win" things like store dopants.

Its a whoile range of people, is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by HunterjWizzard; 03-07-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12