Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Combat archery may be fixed double check my math please

Ok so I'm running an arti and after motu I originally took combat archery and since he hasn't gotten played much I haven't swapped it out for something that wasn't broken yet. After noticing some text in my effects log I decided to retest if it was still broken. I'm using an eHellfire crossbow which with my prestige is 2[1d12]+8, with point blank shot that should be 3[1d12]+8 with no weapon buffs. I left off insightful damage and deadly weapons to test, and at one point I rolled for 49 weapon damage, from my math the max I should have been able to get if combat archery didn't work is 44? Any problems with my math?

Community Member

Did you have archers focus active (or precise shot). I doubt they would stealth fix something. :P

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Did you have archers focus active (or precise shot). I doubt they would stealth fix something. :P
    I had stances off, I know it's weird I feel like I have to be missing something.

Did you crit?
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

IMO, stop using the epic hellfire. Grab a trash repeater off AH so you don't have to deal with a high and variable base damage. The additional 1dwhatever from combat archery will be much more noticeable, then.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    IMO, stop using the epic hellfire. Grab a trash repeater off AH so you don't have to deal with a high and variable base damage. The additional 1dwhatever from combat archery will be much more noticeable, then.
    To wrunt no crit. Please explain sandy, hellfire is 2[d12]+6 which battle engineer makes +8, a loot gen would just be the same except 2[d10]+x

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    To wrunt no crit. Please explain sandy, hellfire is 2[d12]+6 which battle engineer makes +8, a loot gen would just be the same except 2[d10]+x
    2[1d12] gives a randomness range of 2-24 (with whatever dice weighting goes on which I'm not up to date on). Total of 4-48 with PBS and combat archery, 3-36 with nonfunctional combat archery. If CA is working, and you assume that it is not, 1/4 of your shots (12/48) will be classified as impossible.

1[1d10] gives a range of 1 to 10, or 3-30 with combat archery and PBS, 2-20 with nonfunctional combat archery. If CA is working, and you assume it is not, 1/3 (10/30) of your shots will be classified as 'impossible'.

So no, it's not a huge benefit, but it'll help to make it more obvious imo. You'll also get more hits in on the dummy before it falls over <.<.
    Last edited by sandypaws; 03-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

2[1d12] gives a randomness range of 2-24 (with whatever dice weighting goes on which I'm not up to date on). Total of 4-48 with PBS and combat archery, 3-36 with nonfunctional combat archery. If CA is working, and you assume that it is not, 1/4 of your shots (12/48) will be classified as impossible.

1[1d10] gives a range of 1 to 10, or 3-30 with combat archery and PBS, 2-20 with nonfunctional combat archery. If CA is working, and you assume it is not, 1/3 (10/30) of your shots will be classified as 'impossible'.

So no, it's not a huge benefit, but it'll help to make it more obvious imo. You'll also get more hits in on the dummy before it falls over <.<.
    ah ok yeah 10 is simplier math than 12 I guess, and I didn't use the dummy for this as it gives the helpless benefit. For testing I ran into eclaw and attacked the fire giant at the start. (Yes a non fire repeater would kill him faster but going with a fire one made the extra damage essentially not be there and let me shoot him longer.)

Just tested with a plain shortbow from the harbor vendor. Still not working.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Just tested with a plain shortbow from the harbor vendor. Still not working.
    Tx I must have missed a bonus then.

Turbine fixed Combat Archery?
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    Turbine fixed Combat Archery?
    I would have gone with

Now the real question is, I still have hope that it will be fixed one day, how sad is that.

Okay, I equipped the doublecross bow (1d8 base dmg) with conjured bolts (+6 enchantment) on my artificer (+2 enchant from battle engineer)

I did not get any procs of the sleep effect, so no helpless damage, and I was running in GMOF with 0 points in it, I also have no gear that gives me a raw dmg boost, and I had no deadly or insightful dmg on.

Total of 1d8+8 (9-16)

Pointblank shot (CA not working): 2d8+8 (10-24)

PBS+CA: 3d8+8 (11-32)

While I was testing this I saw 29, 30, 32 in PBS range, and if CA was not working that is in fact "unpossible" so I believe CA is now functioning properly.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    While I was testing this I saw 29, 30, 32 in PBS range, and if CA was not working that is in fact "unpossible" so I believe CA is now functioning properly.
    Very interesting.

I took the liberty of testing dance of flowers. Shot the dummy a few hundred times from all the way across the airship with a random heroic trash bow. Used pin to make sure the dummy was helpless.

Maxed at 43 in primal avatar ED both with and without dance of flowers.

If CA is working, the fix doesn't seem to extend to dance of flowers.

Kierg: Did you try pulling out of PBS range? Did you see a full 2d8 loss?
    Last edited by sandypaws; 03-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Okay, I equipped the doublecross bow (1d8 base dmg) with conjured bolts (+6 enchantment) on my artificer (+2 enchant from battle engineer)

I did not get any procs of the sleep effect, so no helpless damage, and I was running in GMOF with 0 points in it, I also have no gear that gives me a raw dmg boost, and I had no deadly or insightful dmg on.

Total of 1d8+8 (9-16)

If (and that's a pretty big *if*) CA is working you still can't take it more then once, buddy tried yesterday, no luck...
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Very interesting.

I took the liberty of testing dance of flowers. Shot the dummy a few hundred times from all the way across the airship with a random heroic trash bow. Used pin to make sure the dummy was helpless.

Maxed at 43 in primal avatar ED both with and without dance of flowers.

If CA is working, the fix doesn't seem to extend to dance of flowers.

Kierg: Did you try pulling out of PBS range? Did you see a full 2d8 loss?
    hm......I can't exactly remember, I will test it again tomorrow when I can play again to see if I get the full 2d8 loss.

Also: I don't think it was ever the plan to take CA twice........
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

hm......I can't exactly remember, I will test it again tomorrow when I can play again to see if I get the full 2d8 loss.

Also: I don't think it was ever the plan to take CA twice........
    It reads "This feat can be taken multiple times" or at least it did.

Community Member

Default works for Xbow -doesnt for long/short bow

title

Quote Originally Posted by JPGR View Post
    title
    Is it wrong that the fact artificers are pay to play makes this totally likely in my book?

Total of 1d8+8 (9-16)

Ignore the bonus. You need to know your damage range. Test shooting out of PBS range first to define your damage range (in your example, 9-16. Check if those numbers are right). THEN you go into PBS range and add 1[w] to your damage range (in this case, 1d8, for a range of 10-24). If your PBS test is still within this range, CA is not working. If it goes higher, it is.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast