Default Challenge Xp even worse than the previous nerf.

Under 11k XP for a 5 star first time run of Time is Money.

2 toons lv 16 and lv 17, challenge opened on lv 17.

Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Ooh, nice graphics! Those pebbles... Look so... Realistic... HNNNNG

(What's unrealistic though, is the exp nerf. Bleh. What else am I going to grind post level cap? Dun'Robar? )
    Elegant as the Wind, Silent as a Forest, Mysterious as the Ocean,
    Fierce as Fire, Adamant as a Mountain, Righteous as the Light,
    I am... KamiKazeKenji!

I'm at the breaking point honestly...tired of decisions just designed to kill fun and bleed the customer.

Honestly, I was grinding the challenges pre-U17 (for the items) and even then I thought the exp was atrocious.

For what reason did I pay an extravagant amount for the challenge pack?
    Elegant as the Wind, Silent as a Forest, Mysterious as the Ocean,
    Fierce as Fire, Adamant as a Mountain, Righteous as the Light,
    I am... KamiKazeKenji!

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Under 11k XP for a 5 star first time run of Time is Money.

2 toons lv 16 and lv 17, challenge opened on lv 17.

Under 10k, actually. You had some sort of XP booster in effect.

But, but, the devs said they BOOSTED XP and we should be happy about it. They said it, so it must be true.

I went in yesterday to finish my tier 3 spare hand...got my mats and left thinking oh that's why i don't run this anymore.

Community Member

but they added 50% xp pots to the store, added tomes of learning to the store, added leveling stones to the store. About to add epic xp tomes of learning to the store, about to add ability to start at lvl 15 to the store.

see the trend?

Community Member

Yeah, challenges are a joke and have been ever since the double nerf. The first nerf to epic EXP was acceptable to me... but the nerf on the star EXP was just retarded.

In my experience the repeat star xp is still the same, which is obviously the most relevant challenge xp in a game where the quests in the 18-20 range can cover maybe 10% of the xp required to go from 18-20.

I cannot fathom why anyone, anywhere would come to the decision that first-time star XP was a problem. Not only a problem, but such a critical problem that it had to be addressed while outfits were being wiped out en masse, while every rushed update contained comically obvious bugs, etc.

The explanation I usually end up with is that Turbine doesn't care (because that is an incontrovertible fact), but if they don't care why go out of their way to fiddle with it? It's just inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Under 10k, actually. You had some sort of XP booster in effect.
    You mean some sort of (gasp) PAY TO CHEAT????? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    You mean some sort of (gasp) PAY TO CHEAT????? :O
    Should do the math to understand the percentage, and think of an in game item + in game buff that might exist that gives that percentage of a boost in XP.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I didn't notice the xp change, but I did notice they improved some of the loot upgrades to add augment slots and craftability. That was nice.

Community Member

We did a 5-Star Mansion run which was just under 30k XP for just over 50 minutes. Yet 4-Star from one of the other ones gave 1k XP/min (cant recall which one).

There is simply no logic behind the XP rewards for the challenges (other than to keep them low so we go to the DDO Store to buy boosts).

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

10k for 5 mins is decent. Evidently most people can even pull off 5 stars on their first attempt too.

Infinitely more interesting to me is what it's like after 1 repetition since it's near-impossible to seriously complain about >2k xp/min.

Side note/hot tip: Using your first time bonus on a higher CL (read 20) if you can handle it also helps maximize one-and-done challenge xp if you're not after ingredients since the stars are worth more in addition to base.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

2k per min is nice but what you get after that isnt worth the effort.
    I am with everyone else and tired of all the bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    10k for 5 mins is decent. Evidently most people can even pull off 5 stars on their first attempt too.

Infinitely more interesting to me is what it's like after 1 repetition since it's near-impossible to seriously complain about >2k xp/min.

Side note/hot tip: Using your first time bonus on a higher CL (read 20) if you can handle it also helps maximize one-and-done challenge xp if you're not after ingredients since the stars are worth more in addition to base.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Community Member

So, is this the end of it? Are the dev's now content with the current version of challenge quest EXP? Since the last patch there has been no 'it's coming in the future' statements like before. Was this it? doooom

Quote Originally Posted by mystafyi View Post
    but they added 50% xp pots to the store, added tomes of learning to the store, added leveling stones to the store. About to add epic xp tomes of learning to the store, about to add ability to start at lvl 15 to the store.

see the trend?
    Yeah, this is the main reason I quit playing DDO ~4 months ago. I still check the forums every once in a while to see if things are getting any better, since I would still like to play, but not if they just keep increasing the grind to the point that spending $ to avoid some of it starts looking like a good buy.

I used to buy all that **** for my TRs...xp pots, learning tomes, etc until I realized the only reason you need to do that is because they either nerfed xp as in challenges or the quests were just horrid xp to begin with (most L18-19 quests). It seemed worth it for a while, not anymore though.

I figured I could buy a new game every 2-4 weeks and still be spending less than I was on all the grind reducers in DDO. So I do that now instead.

I still like the game, and I would be glad to come back to DDO when leveling doesn't involve either a) massive grindy repetition of the few good xp/min quests or b) my credit number. It doesn't look like that is the way the game is going currently though.