Community Member

Default Can I use Lily Petals without Monk Levels?

Thinking of twisting in Lily Petals from Grandmaster onto my druid without any monk levels.
    Then twisting in 'Enlightenment' to get +45 Ki and +6 concentration. (that way i will have Ki)

Will I be able to use Lily Petals?
    Do I have to be centered?
    Or is this even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Chobo View Post
    Thinking of twisting in Lily Petals from Grandmaster onto my druid without any monk levels.
    Then twisting in 'Enlightenment' to get +45 Ki and +6 concentration. (that way i will have Ki)

Will I be able to use Lily Petals?
    Do I have to be centered?
    Or is this even possible?
    You don't need Monk levels to gain this destiny, but it'll be a lot of work before you can get it--and it will likely not work. You don't need to be centered to use Lily Petal but you likely won't have what is needed to make it work.

Based on what I can tell on the DDO Wiki, you'll need to complete enough of Primal Avatar (presuming that was your first chosen destiny) to unlock Shiradi Champion, then complete enough levels there to bridge to the Martial sphere where Grandmaster resides, and then you may not choose it until you complete sufficient levels in Legendary Dreadnought to unlock GMoF.

Here's the rub. Lily Petal is ki powered. The first innate ability there gives you a ki bar and the ability to generate some ki, even though it will drain rapidly until you can use that ability again. You can twist Lily Petal, from what I can see, but you won't have ki to power it because you can't twist innate abilities, and you will lose your ki bar if you select any other destiny as active. If twisting Enlightenment gives you a ki bar, then it could work, but generating ki is the question.

Hopefully others will confirm this.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Here's the rub. Lily Petal is ki powered. The first innate ability there gives you a ki bar and the ability to generate some ki, even though it will drain rapidly until you can use that ability again. You can twist Lily Petal, from what I can see, but you won't have ki to power it because you can't twist innate abilities, and you will lose your ki bar if you select any other destiny as active. If twisting Enlightenment gives you a ki bar, then it could work, but generating ki is the question.

Hopefully others will confirm this.
    I was able to do some tests now now that I've grinded all the ED trees.
    u can get a ki bar by twisting in enlightenment, but u need to be centered.

also the damage is not affected by spellpower so it only does about 300 damage, which is awful. i saw another poster here report that the lily petal damage is bugged. it's doing less than it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobo View Post
    I was able to do some tests now now that I've grinded all the ED trees.
    u can get a ki bar by twisting in enlightenment, but u need to be centered.

also the damage is not affected by spellpower so it only does about 300 damage, which is awful. i saw another poster here report that the lily petal damage is bugged. it's doing less than it should.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Lily Petal is not a magic spell but undefined magic damage. Enemies with high magic resistance or good reflex saves will take less damage, but otherwise its damage is consistent for my experience. I've watched it generate between 180 damage (on a save) to as high as 600 damage, so it depends on who's attacked.

Keep in mind that, on a pure epic Monk, ki is ridiculously regenerating. So while Lily Petal, Orchid Blossom and Drifting Lotus may do less damage than some spellcaster spells, Monks can fight with these for as long as there is ki and enemies from whom to draw it, resulting in more damage over time. Of course, ki ranged attacks aren't they only thing that's killing a mob quickly.

Unlike magic used by other classes, Lily Petal and related abilities cannot be scaled up using Empower, Maximize or similar effects.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Community Member

I wonder if they ever fixed GMoF to give the Monk unarmed attack speed to characters without Monk levels but still centered.
    THELANIS - Proud member of C.L.A.W.
    Scunc - Unarmed DPS // Halfbarrel - Healer
    Others: Bigtop - Melee Wolf // Dusstyn Thewind - Horc Bardbarian // Ballistra - Ranged DPSer