Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie83 View Post
    also collecting Green dragonshards has been nerfed Majorly, you used to get what ever optional amount you had collected at the end, for like 100-200 extra dragon shards on top of the regular 100 required, regardless of where you were at when time ran out.

But now, stupidly if your at 180/300, you only get the default 100, which for 300 is an impossible goal to hit in 20 minutes at any rate, you'd need a 25-30 minute runs to hit 400 total, if 100 + 200 occasionally in 20*

1 compass for 100 dragonshards for 20 minutes of work seems pointless, what is the point of an event, if you nerf it to a pure grind, no fun any more... compared to being able to earn 250 dragonshards on a good run, 100 + 150

xp is low anyhows, likely better off doing something else with our time this week
    Previously the max you could get was 300. You had to run it 5 levels above the highest character level and collect the maximum allowed coins of 300. 100 for the union, 200 for your group x 50% bonus for the 5 level differential.

There were plenty of groups who would hit that in 10 minutes and get fairly annoyed that they were forced to spend 10 more minutes in a quest and get no added benefit. This change allows you to collect more than you previously could.

During the preview day, I ran it twice (solo), collected less coins than I would normally have had to and walked away with 196 each run. I didn't collect 296 in total value of crystals. I was fairly rusty and not running an ideal solo character in there, so I also wasn't killing any extra mobs.

This is just one guys perspective, but so far it is better.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    So, according to my math, if you get 330 dragonshards or less in a run, this change is a buff to your returns, but if you get more than 330 total dragonshards in a run, this change is actually a nerf.
    Your math is wrong, since in the old system you would never get over 300 shards. New system is definitely an improvement in the shard potential.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    Your math is wrong, since in the old system you would never get over 300 shards. New system is definitely an improvement in the shard potential.
    Yeah, but it's just too bad there's nothing worthwhile to spend these alleged extra crystals on.

The new system is definitely more friendly to a wider range of players as well. While it was never too hard to get the 100 benchmark, it could be a struggle at times to get a lot more with inexperienced players, so this helps up the baseline awards on runs with less success, and also now allows those groups with good gathering skills and toons to profit even more. What that allows for is it will no longer take as many runs to get the required shards and get your goodies as it used to.

With the old limit at 300 max crystals anyway, there was always that cap of 200 base shards. Now if you hit that number, you get 210 shards. Old 200 =100 shards, new 200 = 140 shards. Its all a win guys.

Time for hats on the new characters....
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Community Member

It's really disappointing that the Cove has been pushed back for so long and still the mobs in the Cove Quest, outside of the Zombie and Skeletons, don't appear in the Monster Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Yeah, but it's just too bad there's nothing worthwhile to spend these alleged extra crystals on.
    Yep, that is why I won't be running CC this year. They really needed to have added level 24 upgrade items.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

So, according to my math, if you get 330 dragonshards or less in a run, this change is a buff to your returns, but if you get more than 330 total dragonshards in a run, this change is actually a nerf.
    If you get more then 300 shards in any run going forward this is a buff. The hard cap has been 300 in all cove events in the past. It was *never* possible to get more than 300 shards in a single run until now.

Default compasses

um the compasses are not in the ddo store just and fyi devs
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DemonStorm333 View Post
    um the compasses are not in the ddo store just and fyi devs
    just realised by was getting half the number of dragonshards, there was a lvl 18 in the two lvl 17 instances :P

I don't understand your math. There is no longer a hard cap on the number of dragonshards you can get.

Does it seem to anyone else that there are generally less purple crystals around than there used to be? I'm wondering if they didn't tweak this when they put in the new scoring system. Have run it a total of 4 times so far, and just not really seeing that many around. Seems most places that have purples are only in groups of 2 or 3, where i remember there being more like 6-8 before.

We looked around quite a bit, farther out than you could reach with the standard 20 torch limit, and apart from a stray purple crystal here and there, just really didn't find that many.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The original Reward formula for the Cove went like this:
    - Kobold Union kept the first 100 Crystals you get as payment for their efforts
    - You got Dragonshards at a 1:1 ratio with whatever Crystals you got past the first 100.

This meant if you collected exactly 100 Crystals during a Cove run, you would walk away with zero Dragonshards (since the Kobold Union kept everything up to your Quota).

The new Reward Formula works like Challenges, and goes like this:
    - You get Dragonshards equal to 70% of your Score (the Kobold Union takes 30% for their efforts). You get one Point for each Crystal (purples are worth 10).

This means if you collect exactly 100 Crystals during your Cove Run, you will walk away with 70 Dragonshards instead.

This math assumes the character levels of your entire party are the same as the CR you are running the Cove at; running the Cove above or below your level can influence your Score, the same way it does in Challenges. That, combined with removing the Crystal cap, means the Cove should be giving more Dragonshards per run than in previous years.
    the only question I have regarding this is,.. Is there a HARD cap on the number of green dragonshards you can get in a single run? the reason i ask is because 1 run my group got 460 over quota, max level in the group was 14 we were in level 16 cove, and we only got 375 green dragonshards. the very next run we only managed 353 over quota and got 374 green dragonshards. same group both runs, and same level cove both times. just seems like the dragonshards awarded the first run were truncated by a hard cap.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Protasious View Post
    the only question I have regarding this is,.. Is there a HARD cap on the number of green dragonshards you can get in a single run? the reason i ask is because 1 run my group got 460 over quota, max level in the group was 14 we were in level 16 cove, and we only got 375 green dragonshards. the very next run we only managed 353 over quota and got 374 green dragonshards. same group both runs, and same level cove both times. just seems like the dragonshards awarded the first run were truncated by a hard cap.
    My first run last night we received over 400 crystals so if there is a hard cap its more than what you received. (Or it's level based we were level 25 in a level 25 instance)

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I don't understand your math. There is no longer a hard cap on the number of dragonshards you can get.
    As I understood it, the poster was aware that there is no longer a hard limit, but his point was that if you are a party that didn't hit the hard limit to start off with, then the change is actually a nerf as you only get 70% of your total, rather than 100% as it was previously.
    Check out my new blog/website. I'm a gamer girl at heart and I'm here to stay

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kittikatgurl View Post
    As I understood it, the poster was aware that there is no longer a hard limit, but his point was that if you are a party that didn't hit the hard limit to start off with, then the change is actually a nerf as you only get 70% of your total, rather than 100% as it was previously.
    Except that according to his math the "nerf" only happens at a number you could not get before due to the hard limit in past years. So even with this change you will always get more crystals than previous years.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well, no, in that previously you couldn't get more than 300 crystals. It's diminishing returns, not a nerf.

And yes, L24 gear would've been nice. They did it for Mabar, no idea why they didn't do it for Cove, especially since they had four more months to work on it.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kittikatgurl View Post
    Wrong. You get 70% of the TOTAL, vs. 100% of the EXTRA.

Previously the hard cap of 300 crystals would net you 200 shards, after the kobolds skimmed 100 off the top.

Now 300 nets you 210 shards.

If you were only getting 250 crystals previously, you'd get 150 shards after the kobolds skimmed 100 off the top. Now you'd get 175.

And of course, if you're now getting, say, 400 crystals... you're getting 280 shards. Instead of the 200 cap in previous iterations. I was in many runs last year where we'd hit the cap at 15 minutes and then park the kobolds and go hunting. Now the same runs, we'd keep getting crystals, which means we keep getting shards.

Very much the opposite of a nerf.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Default Why do you tease me!

The cake is a lie... okay the kill 300 bad guys in the cove is a lie! It can't be done, PLEASE make it so it can be done on all levels, we were able to clear the entire zone and were 40 short when it ended. Thanks for listening, g'night.
    Current TR project -- Anshel life 8 of 20 ending up FVS
    Side TR project -- Daciana (life 8 of 14 maybe)(Will be completionist druid)
    Khyber main server

Originally Posted by MeliCat:
    I don't like strawberry ice cream. You can offer all the strawberry ice cream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.

O please no more events the server lags enough under normal circumstances it don't need any help from an event.
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

Community Member

Talking

Love the Cove!!! love the new augments for gear!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast