Hybrid View

Default Solo Perma Death Journal (F2P account)

Starting this on 2/28/2013.

So i have decided to start up a perma death solo challenge for myself. To make it even more challenging i am going to go for this on a new F2P account. This is going to effect many of the restrictions i make on myself. It will limit my quests available for play and also rewards/items i can get. I'm sure i will die alot on these journeys. It will help me refine my own playstyle and abilities.

Rules:

- I will not group with other people. Hires will be allowed.
    - No twinking/heirloom items.
    - No Auction house.
    - No trading. Using only items i find or can buy using NPC vendors.
    - Death = permanent. Being that i am a caregiver there are times i have to leave the computer at a moments notice. I will not count deaths due to real life such as these. Lag deaths count will count only if the lag is not excessive.
    - No events. No cove/mabar/festivus or whatever... these aren't always available and i don't want new players expecting that they have to wait a year to gear from them.
    - Not sure what my rules will be exactly on questing... being this is on a F2P account with nothing whatsoever done to it, made just for this experiment. Currently i will run quests until i take a 50% xp hit due to rerunning them... will see how this goes and adjust it.
    - No cannith crafting.
    - Will use augments if found. From drop rates i have seen i doubt i'll have enough of these to make any difference.
    Last edited by LoneWolfie; 03-04-2013 at 06:49 PM.

This post will document each attempt, what class split i use and how far i made it. I will also try to list when the character was made and died.

PermaUndead Wolfie- 2/1 Wizard/Rogue -Made: 2/28/2013 Died: 3/4/2013 to Warlock Cyressy in Walk the Butcher's Path- Hard
    Last edited by LoneWolfie; 03-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.

My first attempt begins.

First build is going to be a wiz/rogue 18/2 palemaster 28 point human build... only laid this character out to 7 in the planner so i could get started... if i get to 7 i'll finish building it lol.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

PermaUndead Wolfie
    Level 7 True Neutral Human Male
    (1 Rogue \ 6 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 80
    Spell Points: 360 
    BAB: 3\3
    Fortitude: 5
    Reflex: 8
    Will: 4

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 7)
    Strength             10                    10
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         16                    16
    Intelligence         18                    19
    Wisdom                8                     8
    Charisma              8                     8

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 7)
    Balance               3                     3
    Bluff                 3                     3
    Concentration         5                    13
    Diplomacy            -1                    -1
    Disable Device        8                    14
    Haggle                3                     3
    Heal                 -1                    -1
    Hide                  3                     3
    Intimidate           -1                    -1
    Jump                  4                     4
    Listen               -1                    -1
    Move Silently         3                     3
    Open Lock             3                     3
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                4                     4
    Search                8                    14
    Spot                  3                     3
    Swim                  0                     0
    Tumble                3                     3
    Use Magic Device      3                     8

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Bluff (+4)
    Skill: Concentration (+2)
    Skill: Disable Device (+4)
    Skill: Haggle (+4)
    Skill: Hide (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Move Silently (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+4)
    Skill: Search (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
    Feat: (Selected) Augment Summoning
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Skill: Concentration (+3)
    Skill: Disable Device (+1)
    Skill: Search (+1)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Spell Focus: Enchantment

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 4 (Wizard)
    Ability Raise: INT

Level 5 (Wizard)

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell

Level 7 (Wizard)
    PermaUndead Wolfie is born.
    Last edited by LoneWolfie; 02-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Note: sorry for the current formatting of text. Will try to improve later entries and will try to clean this one up later as well... too tired atm

Starting Funds: 0
    level 2: 200 PP
    level 3: 1425 PP

starting stats:

Str: 10
    Dex: 8
    Con: 16
    Int: 18
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 8

32 Hp
    45 Hp at level 2
    53 Hp at level 3

Quests Completed:

Level 1:
    The Millers Debt- Solo
    Heyton's rest- Norm
    Storehouse Secret- Norm
    Cannith Crystal- Norm
    The collaborator- Norm

Level 2:
    The collaborator- Hard
    Stopping the sahuagin- Norm
    Redemption- Norm
    Necromancer's Doom- Norm
    Sacrifices- Norm
    Collaborator- Norm x3
    Bringing the Light- Norm
    Information is key- Norm

Notes:

Level 1

Went straight to the harbor to get bags for collectables, gems, and ingredients. Did the millers debt while there to get a bit of gold for a hireling. Back to korthos and grabbed the level 1 cleric hire Dryad Willowisp. Sadly she does more damage than I do. Althought that is what this build will be about, hirelings and summons doing most of the damage saving me sp for bigger/more important fights. Ran through Heyton's rest on norm... no problems here. On to storehouse secret on norm. Finished Storehouse with no problems netting me a +5 Hp belt, now up to 37 Hp and on to cannith crystal. The devourer minions just aren't up to handling Dryad. She easily rolls over them one after another and we finish relatively unscathed. Netted me a pair of lesser spearblock bracers. On to The Collaborator. Having taken the eternal wand of finger of fire as my reward for the grotto i was left with nothing but a rusty rapier for the first 4 quests. Collaborator nets me a +1 chainmail shirt as well as Thera's Rapier. Having sold my loot from those quests i head to the rogue trainer seeing i have 4 ap to spend. I pick up human versatility I and sneak attack training I. Nothing else appeals to me atm so i will save my other 2 ap for when i get a bit more xp and can take my first level of wizard. On to Korthos Island. I decide to do a quick run around the island. Grabbing all the explorers/slaying should net me enough xp for my first wizard level i hope. 5 explorers, 25 kills, and 1 rare later i have enough xp to level to 2. I quickly decide to recall and go get my first wizard level . Getting my first wizard level nets me Spell focus: Enchantment. Come work for me monsters . Upon leveling i spend 1 more of my ap to take wizard energy of the scholar I. This puts me to 190 Spell points.

Level 2
    Remembering that collaborator offered me a 10 sp ring i go back to complete it again in hopes of getting a bit more I decide to try hard this time
    and quickly realize a problem... I forgot to setup my spell slots. Good one wolfie. I recall out and choose my 3 spells to use for the next quest. I decide on summon monster I, Charm Person, and Magic missle for now. Now armed with spells and spell components i head back into Collaborator on Hard. Seeing my chain shirt is going to provide 15% chance for spell failure i quickly strip to my skivies. I forgot just how underwelming magic missle is at level 1 lol. I quickly resort back to letting the hire and dog do my work while sliding in for an occasional smack with my rapier. Collaborator on hard nets me a level 1 spell inscription material which i will hang onto for the moment. I also get my 10 sp ring as the reward for the quest. I trade out mm for expeditious retreat and head back out to the island.
    Time for some island quests and the rest of the explorers i missed hopefully No problems in Stopping the Sahaugin. Redemption nets me a +1 reflex save cloak and a +3 minor fire guard robe, upgrading my gear just a bit . Onward to Necromancer's Doom. Nothing spectacular happens in necro's doom or sacrifices. No note worthy upgrades or rewards. Back to town to turn in those 3 quests. Turning those in nets me some archivist's goggles, ornate goggles, and a feather cloak. grab another contract for dryad and onward to misery's peak. Got the rest of the explorers on my way to misery's and also got zeer to make that 2 rares.
    Forgot how slow and long misery's can be at level on a f2p character . Nothing noteworthy happened but it did take a while. Got my archivist's necklace which gives me a set bonus putting me to 210 sp now . I decide to run collaborator on norm a few times... it's good xp and has 4 chests... maybe i'll get a small gear upgrade 3 runs later i get nothing good and the xp is going downhill. I decide to head to the harbor.

Harbor.
    bringing the light is up first and i nearly bought the farm. Forgot how dangerous those dogs can be at low levels. Information is key was up after that and it wasn't nearly as bad. Finishing it got me enough xp to level to 3 time for another wizard level. Leveling up i take mental toughness as my chosen feat. After leveling i decide to spend some of my 5 unused AP points. I take Wizard intelligence I, rogue improved trap sense I, and human improved recovery I. I grab a contract for a level 2 cleric hire, belest. Think i'll call it a night for now and continue at another time. Hope you enjoyed reading so far.
    Last edited by LoneWolfie; 03-01-2013 at 02:32 AM.

First of all be always careful!

I never played a wizard, but without balance, when knocked down you are dead!

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    First of all be always careful!

I never played a wizard, but without balance, when knocked down you are dead!
    Yea. The plan with this build is to sit back more and let the hire/summons/charmed mobs do the dirty work for me. I just have to remember that lol. I got a little impatient and ran into those dogs and nearly bit it. That excitement is what is such great fun about this playstyle to me though.

Default Level 3 part 1

Starting Funds: 1425 PP
    Ending funds: 4275 PP

53 Hp at level 3

Quests Completed:

Level 3:

Heyton's rest- Hard
    Storehouse Secret- Hard
    Cannith Crystal- Hard
    Stopping the sahuagin- Hard
    Haverdasher- Norm
    Durk's got a secret- Norm
    Butcher's Path- Norm
    Garrison's missing pack- Norm
    Kobold's New Ringleader- Normx4
    Recovering the lost tome- Norm
    An explosive situation- Solo
    Arachnophobia- Solo
    Home Sweet Sewer- Solo

Notes:

Back to the battles i go. After reviewing my notes, it seems i left off after just leveling to 3. I decide to go back to korthos for a run through on hard of all village and island quests. This should net me a bit of xp. Hopefully i will also find some semi useful items. Heyton's rest, storehouse secret, and cannith crystal go smoothly and easily. Nothing of note drops in any of them. On to the island quests, having done Collaborator on hard before. After stopping the Sahuagin i have to take a few mins to go afk and decide rather than doing the island quests again i'm gonna go for some harbor stuff on norm. I think the chance for better items is better there and also probably better xp. I'll come back for the island quests/village later. I did remember to get my reward from cannith crystal after i came back... Bracers of aid is a nice little low level clickie i highly recommend to new players.

I must say that sonic blast is a wonderful little cc spell... it helps take the pressure off my summons/hireling just enough to make things fun. Haverdasher and durks are done. Neither posed much of a problem and durks netted me my first Minor Mnemonic pot. Durks end reward also got me a Proof against poison robe... seeing how they kind of killed the true usefulness of these items it's not the big happy i would have made about it before but it does help against poison traps. On to Butcher's Path next. Nearly got killed again. Decided to go for the rare trog near the end of butcher's path... it was there... could not for the life of me get my hire to teleport on me. 5-6 stuns on the trog later and downing 7 pots i believe it was i finally managed to kill it. I for sure need a way to damage enemies beyond my quarterstaff .

Well i moved on to garrison's missing pack next. Got my first couple of resist potions. 2x cold, 1 sonic, 1 fire resist potions. Surprised i hadn't gotten any of these before this point. Being on a f2p account with no guild ship resists these really can come in handy until/unless i find a wand of resists which i am hoping for eventually. I could slot in resist energy on my bar and i am sure i will at higher levels but these low levels on a splashed wizard are really tight
    for what spells to run. Onward to one of the most run low level quests out there... kobold's new ringleader. This quest is great xp and has quite a few chests if you are willing to take the time to clear it all. Most more experienced players that have done it a million times skip through it as quick as they can to get the best xp per min. Completing Ringleader gets me a good amount of xp and a couple items. I got a +2 Int ring for my reward and a resist electricity pot.

The xp in this quest is good and as i said there are a few chests so i decide to run it again a few times. I notice my hire has expired so i grab a level 3 erythyn hire contract and head back to ringleader. 3 Runs later and nothing worth reporting other than a nice chunk of xp and a bit of plat... so much i reach my limit so i go spend about 1k of it buying a wand of resist energy and a wand of scorching ray from the marketplace vendor.I decide to run down to the island and do recovering the lost tome which gets me a resonance helm... not much but 30 extra spell power for my sonic blast i suppose lol. I hit up the other solo quests in the harbor that i haven't done after that. Starting with An explosive situation, which goes quickly other than spamming sonic blast to break all the crates in there lol. Onward to Arachnophobia... it's very strange to go from breaking everything in a quest to breaking as little as you can lol. I nearly fail this due to summoning my dog who breaks 9 things before i complete. Next up will be home sweet sewer... guide 6 dogs to the entrance without killing them... how hard can it be??? Pretty easy i'd say. After that quest i'm now up to only 44 of the 75 favor i need with coinlords to get my next backpack slot... i forgot how slow it can be getting things done on normal

Think i'm gonna end here tonight... fighting a sore throat and cold. Sitting at 42,613xp at the moment. Not doing too bad so far and the build works fine... again so far lol. See you folks again soon i hope. Please feel free to leave any kind of feedback, advice, or just a simple comment saying you read it . Good questing to you all.

Well you cant self heal.... but nice reading!

It seems very difficult to avoid at any point close engage but who knows.....

I would prepare the spell invisibility!

Well you cant self heal.... but nice reading!

It seems very difficult to avoid at any point close engage but who knows.....

I would prepare the spell invisibility!

Well normally i probably would... but seeing as it doesn't work very well right now it just doesn't seem worth it... looking more into stunning/ccing effects... my only worry will be boss fights... going to have to get some kind of decent damage spells going for that soon hopefully.

I honestly don't expect to make it past about level 5-6 with this but it's a build i wanted to try out in these limiting circumstances. My true attempts will follow after this one. As soon as i get back to playing anyway... being sick sucks...hopefully in the next few days i'll be better.
    Last edited by LoneWolfie; 03-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfie View Post
    - Death = permanent. Being that i am a caregiver there are times i have to leave the computer at a moments notice. I will not count deaths due to real life such as these. Lag deaths count.
    -
    I'm curious as to why lag deaths would count. Playing by yourself, no one is there to question your decisions as to whether or not "yeah, i died because I had to leave the computer during a fight to do my job". When you label something a "lag death" you are saying that everything was fine and in control until "hey, my computer froze up and when it unfroze I was dead". Seems to me that a straightforward judgement can be made there. Why would you want to repeat 5 levels (or 20 for that matter) when you didn't actually die as a result of your own actions or avoidable/preventable circumstances?
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    I'm curious as to why lag deaths would count. Playing by yourself, no one is there to question your decisions as to whether or not "yeah, i died because I had to leave the computer during a fight to do my job". When you label something a "lag death" you are saying that everything was fine and in control until "hey, my computer froze up and when it unfroze I was dead". Seems to me that a straightforward judgement can be made there. Why would you want to repeat 5 levels (or 20 for that matter) when you didn't actually die as a result of your own actions or avoidable/preventable circumstances?
    Well lag is just a part of the enemy... i have yet to see a mmo that doesn't have some lag at times. I might consider using a rule on it such as if the lag is excessive i might not count it. but a 1-2 second lag i will count as death... if the game freezes for 30 seconds i might consider not counting it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB
    this^^

Starting Funds: 4275 PP
    Ending funds: 4322 PP

53 Hp at level 3

Quests Completed:

Level 3 Part 2:

None

Notes:

Well i was feeling a bit better so i decided to attempt walk the butcher's path on hard... bad idea i suppose. Got to the end and the rare was there again... hire would not teleport on me at all and a few painful fireballs later i suffered my first death. Greed got the better of me here i would say. Rest in peace PermaUndead.

Will try to come up with a build later for my next character and maybe get it started. Self Healing is for sure going to have to be on the menu.

Time for attempt #2. Up next will be a cleric/paladin build i want to try. Let me know what you guys think of this... i'm sure it's sub-optimal.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

PermaCleric Wolfie
    Level 8 Lawful Good Human Male
    (2 Paladin \ 6 Cleric) 
    Hit Points: 114
    Spell Points: 312 
    BAB: 6\6\11
    Fortitude: 13
    Reflex: 4
    Will: 10

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 8)
    Strength             16                    18
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         14                    14
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom               14                    14
    Charisma             14                    14

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 8)
    Balance               0                     3.5
    Bluff                 2                     2
    Concentration         6                    13
    Diplomacy             2                     2
    Disable Device       n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                2                     2
    Heal                  2                     2
    Hide                 -1                    -1
    Intimidate            2                     2
    Jump                  3                     4
    Listen                2                     2
    Move Silently        -1                    -1
    Open Lock            n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                    -1
    Search               -1                    -1
    Spot                  2                     2
    Swim                  3                     4
    Tumble                0                     0
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
    Skill: Balance (+1)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)
    Skill: Balance (+0.5)

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: STR

If you wanna survive, you need to skip some optionals!

Cleric is an excellent choice, druid should be fine too for fleshies.

Artificer and mages for warforged also good choices, and favored soul for any race.

That said, why is splash of paladin better than fighter to your battle cleric?

Skills: concentration, balance and a few in spot.

If you wanna survive, you need to skip some optionals!

Cleric is an excellent choice, druid should be fine too for fleshies.

Artificer and mages for warforged also good choices, and favored soul for any race.

That said, why is splash of paladin better than fighter to your battle cleric?

Skills: concentration, balance and a few in spot.
    I agree with all those choices for characters, this is a f2p account though so only 28 point builds and no premium races/classes. As for the Paladin splash i am trying it out to see how much it will help with saves... 2 fighter would give me +1 str and 2 feats but less saves i think. I suppose you could possibly burn those 2 feats for save based feats if you wanted to make it up. I will report how well the extra saves from paladin levels helps or not.

Starting Funds: 0
    Ending funds: 1585PP

Starting XP:0
    Ending XP:22,346

33 Hp at level 1
    61 Hp at level 2
    74 Hp at level 3

Quests Completed:

Level 1:

The Grotto- solo
    Storehouse Secret- Norm
    Heyton's Rest- Norm
    Cannith Crystal- Norm
    The Collaborator- Normx4

Level 2:

Stopping the Sahuaghin- Norm
    Redemption- Norm
    Sacrifices- Norm
    Necromancer's Doom- Norm
    Misery's Peak- Norm
    Bringing the Light- Norm
    Information is key- Norm
    The Miller's Debt- Solo
    An Explosive Situation- Solo
    Arachnophobia- Solo
    Home Sweet Sewer- Solo

Notes:

A new hero arrives. Solowolfie comes to the shores of Korthos due to a crashed airship. After working with a unlikely trio in the grotto he arrives in korthos village. Running straight to Valeria he skips the korthos storyline for the moment and heads to stormreach to acquire some free bags he was told about. After aquiring said bags he heads back to korthos village to see what menaces this peaceful village.

Storehouse secret is up first this time... after swinging around the +1 ember greataxe i took as my reward from the grotto i decide i'm missing just too much. I switch to the less damaging but more accurate Quarterstaff. Completeing this quest nets me a Rugged belt giving me 38 hp now. On to Heyton's Rest. Heyton's rest gets me a +1 club which i am proficient with and is nearly double the damage of my moldy quarterstaff. On to Cannith Crystal. No problems so far in korthos i can't handle. I take the Spear Bane bracers. In the Collaborator I get a +1 Breastplate of power I so i take a valen's mace as my reward. Up to 160 SP now. I decide to do a couple more runs of Collaborator in hopes of more gear upgrade and enough xp for level 2 before i head out to the island. I have also decided to disallow hirelings in this run to test to see how well i will do without them on a self healing build. Nothing interesting my second run... third run nets me a Keoghtom's Ointment... haven't seen one of these in forever... nice little emergency item i suppose. Nothing worth noting on the fourth run but that put me up for more than enough xp to goto level 2.

I take level 2 as a Paladin. Also use my 4 points and take Human Improved Recovery I, Cleric Energy of the Zealot I, and Paladin Toughness I. This brings my HP up to 61 and my SP up to 200. I head out to the island and do STS, Redemption, Necromancer's Doom, Sacrifices. No problems in any of them and nothing really worth talking about drops. I did get all three rares done while out there so that is a nice little surprise... usually one eludes me forever out there . I turn in those quest to get a Anger's step boots, goggles of insight, feather cloak, and a Straw Hat. Misery's Peak is up next... glad i've found a few potions up till this point... that quest takes a while. Nevermind... forgot how many shrines there are in that quest. Misery's peak wasn't the misery it was on my last character. Nice little bit of xp and completed my anger's set. I spend 1 ap to take Cleric Life Magic I. Time to head to Stormreach harbor.

Bringing the light and info is key go down really easy on this character other than being knocked down by grease. Nothing worth taking in end rewards or chests ... but i take it anyway ... need my plats lol. Haverdasher and durks up next. Haverdasher is cakewalk on norm on this character. Durks goes smooth but i do have to say i miss not getting the extra chests/collectables from not being able to open/find hidden/locked doors. Durks netted me enough Xp to level to 3. I take my second level of Paladin making me a 1 Cleric/2 Paladin. This really should help out on my saves. I decide to hold onto my AP for the moment being i'm not sure what i want to take out of what is available. My Hp is up to 74, and my sp is up a whole 2 points to 202 lol. I decide to hit the harbor solo quests before i call it a night. An explosive situation, The millers debt, Arachnophobia, Home sweet sewer are all easy quests for a bit of favor/xp/plat.