Default Is there any point to Natural Armor?

That is, if you are not an armor-specced tank?

My bard Sensate has neither TWF nor THF. When he absolutely must put down the mandoline and fight, he uses whatever one-hander is best in the situiation, and +6 Soul-stealing shield. IIRC, the shield provides DR 12 and +13 to AC. "Soul-stealing" part seems to be pretty worthless in epic quests -- since he got this shield, he picked up maybe two soul gems. Yesterday I checked AH for a better shield. At ML 23 or less there were no +6 shields, all +5 ones had DR and AC 1 less (not surprising), and none of them had really good extra functions. Seeker +10 is good, but he already has seeker +6 (goggles) and no improved crits, so it is not that great a prefix. Besides, shield is supposed to protect.

So I looked into crafting. Highest "plus" I can craft is +5. There are very few craftable defensive suffixes that can go on a shield; Natural Armor is one. Natural Armor +3 effectively makes the shield +8. But if it only adds to AC, do I get any real benefit? If I do end up crafting a shield, the prefix will be Lifeshield.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

that really depends on what your AC is... with the changes to armor class, 3-5 points of natural AC can make a significant difference (2-4% potentially) if you are in the AC "sweetspot" of the curve. If your AC is too low for it to matter or high enough already that 5 more points is only 1% more defense than it might not be worth it to you

As a point of reference, look at your AC now (and your defense at level) and then remove your +5 protection item (assuming you have one) and see what difference it makes to your defense percentage. Adding an additional 5 natural armor will likely be a similar change

Yes, I have a +5 Protection item. Possibly stupid question -- where do I see "defense percentage"?

Bring up the Character Sheet, hover the pointer over the AC number to see the popup breakdown. At the bottom it says 'Defense Chance at Level'. It also tells you what your Dodge % is.
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

The effect isn't nothing but it is too small to notice.

Personally I value one point of AC at about the same value as 2 points of HP in general. It has no value at all at very low AC levels but most players that wear armor and don't fight in Barbarian rage are at AC numbers where mobs don't hit 95% of the time.

PRR is much, much more important to try to get.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    That is, if you are not an armor-specced tank?

So I looked into crafting. Highest "plus" I can craft is +5. There are very few craftable defensive suffixes that can go on a shield; Natural Armor is one. Natural Armor +3 effectively makes the shield +8. But if it only adds to AC, do I get any real benefit? If I do end up crafting a shield, the prefix will be Lifeshield.

I think that crafting natural armor on an item is generally not worth it considering what you get for how much it raises the overall potential of the item (and min level). +3 natural armor raises is +3 potential and raises the min level by 5. You lose a suffix that you can use for something more useful. And you can just use barkskin pots.

Since natural armor items seem fairly common (+2 no min level natural armor items seem to be pretty common at low level, +4 & +5 natural armor items drop seem to drop frequently at high level), I think it is better to go with greater parrying on a shield if you want to maximize cranking up your AC when you turtle up. That way you can swap in a protection item and a natural armor item (or spell/pot) and get a 12-14 point jump (not including stances) which might be significant depending on what you are facing.

I think at lower levels you might get more out of crafting a lifeshield shield than a nat armor +3 shield. At higher levels I would switch to greater parrying or greater stability.

As Sirgog points out, prr becomes more and more valuable the more damage critters can put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I think at lower levels you might get more out of crafting a lifeshield shield than a nat armor +3 shield. At higher levels I would switch to greater parrying or greater stability.
    Lifeshield is a prefix. Natural armor is suffix. A shield can have both. ML is of no importance, as I am talking specifically to use now -- at level 23.
    As Sirgog points out, prr becomes more and more valuable the more damage critters can put out.
    Problem is, as far as I can tell, shields do not contribute to PRR at all.

Lifeshield is a prefix. Natural armor is suffix. A shield can have both. ML is of no importance, as I am talking specifically to use now -- at level 23.

At L23, there are tons of Nat armor +5 or better items out there. The AH and Eveningstar vendors have tons of them. I'd go greater parrying if you are trying to boost AC on a shield.

Problem is, as far as I can tell, shields do not contribute to PRR at all.
    You need the shield mastery feats to get PRR from equipping shields.

At 23, if you want a shield, I highly recommend going for Superior Parrying and/or Primal random lootgen, or some tier of healing amplification you do not have on other gear.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.