Lightbulb How Illusion spells can be useful in DDO

I'm not familiar with pen and paper D&D, so I won't be listing any spells to take from there and put into DDO. Instead, I'll be listing effects which can be caused by illusions and how they can be useful under DDO's combat system.

1) Damage spells that do force/untyped damage, all of which will be will save spells. Basically, these spells will make the target *think* that they are being attacked, so they'll take damage.

2) Increase/Decrease in threat generation via a disguise. Make the caster look like a kobold so mobs won't bother with them, or make your tank look like a hezrou so enemies are more likely to aggro on him.

3) Distractions. Conjure up an illusory lights and sounds to daze, bluff or otherwise distract enemies.

4) Mass version of Phantasmal Killer.

Oh my, I want to cry everytime I remember that Illusion got away from DDO. I miss it terribly. And yes, it is tricky, tricky even to code, but creativity can make up for it. Disguise into monsters from your Monster Manual, for instance... it would be wonderful, wouldn't it? : )
    And the Images could also refer to the monster manual. Why not? : )

It would take some time to code the possible interactions. Some patterns could be created.

I know, just a dreamer.

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    1) Damage spells that do force/untyped damage, all of which will be will save spells. Basically, these spells will make the target *think* that they are being attacked, so they'll take damage.

2) Increase/Decrease in threat generation via a disguise. Make the caster look like a kobold so mobs won't bother with them, or make your tank look like a hezrou so enemies are more likely to aggro on him.

3) Distractions. Conjure up an illusory lights and sounds to daze, bluff or otherwise distract enemies.

4) Mass version of Phantasmal Killer.
    1. I think that's a cool idea for illusion spells, something similar to the nightmare property on now lootgen weps.

2. /signed

3. This was a big use of many illusions in PnP

4. There's a PnP 9th lvl spell called weird that was exactly that. (In the PHB, so I don't know why they didn't implement it)

Community Member

This sounds like a really useful spell. Never mind making the player look like a kobald (which there is actually alredy, which makes the monster hate you so much ), but it's withing reason that an illusion could easily make an person seem more/less dangerous. Add it as a buff that does the same thing as weapon effects. In fact bear druids have a spell that can do this so shouldn't be hard to implement at all!

Now a balance question: Should this buff STACK with incite/treason? I think it should so that it can be a 'nice to have but not nessissary' buff. That way casters won't be alwase bugged for it again every time the rouge mysteriously dies.

Community Member

I'm not familiar with pen and paper D&D, so I won't be listing any spells to take from there and put into DDO. Instead, I'll be listing effects which can be caused by illusions and how they can be useful under DDO's combat system.1) Damage spells that do force/untyped damage, all of which will be will save spells. Basically, these spells will make the target *think* that they are being attacked, so they'll take damage.2) Increase/Decrease in threat generation via a disguise. Make the caster look like a kobold so mobs won't bother with them, or make your tank look like a hezrou so enemies are more likely to aggro on him.3) Distractions. Conjure up an illusory lights and sounds to daze, bluff or otherwise distract enemies.4) Mass version of Phantasmal Killer.
    1) Seems logical enough, if you want to flesh the School out to be complete, it needs some direct damage2) Decrease threat/Feign Death/etc. yes...but increase threat on others, no, that just sounds like a formula for griefing.3) Illusory tanks would be useful, get the enemy to attack at an empty point for X seconds with a recurring will save to disbelieve. Maybe even get the enemies to randomly attack each other, like Enchantments, but in the Illusion school as well.4) That sounds like it might be imbalanced....zerg through till you have DA-Red, then turn around and hit them all at once, with a high enough DC it basically lets you kill off all the trash mobs and probably half the tougher mobs all at once.

Community Member

Default These are some great ideas

Most of them don't seem very tough to implement on account of you thinking about reimplementing existing mechanics. That's great.

From the effort we've seen on the enhancements alpha, however, I'm at genuinely disheartened with Turbine's creative implementation.