Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Dang White Dragon in Tor - Looking for suggestions

I can tank almost anything in the game at any difficulty, but that dang white dragon in tor is owning me.
    Between freezing me in place, so I can't move out of the way of his breath attack, and slowing me down so I can't melee effectively... he's just a beast.

I'm Epic 25 Pally Unyielding Sentinel.
    950 HPs
    Saves in the 50s.
    AC120. PRR 148.
    FoM.
    Elemental Resists in the 40s. (plus protection buffs on top)
    Spell Absorption doesn't help.

I suppose I could switch my epic destiny up to have 30% elemental resist while blocking.
    Would having a caster spam haste, dispel, I dunno what... help?

Suggestions?

Sorry man, but imo, the best defense here is ranged/spells. I've been able to DoT the dragon and run like crazy around the triangle while the rest of the party works on the giant. If the dragon gets close enough to slow/freeze you, you're gonna get whacked for 1000+ in a single hit. If we have some artis/rangers we'll have those folks range the dragon while kiting/running. Tanks go on giant unless we put someone on her tail who doesn't have aggro. Once you pull aggro at melee range though, you better run.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion for how to do the dragon on a melee, but I've not seen it myself. Good luck.
    Proud Officer and Member of the Exploration Society Thelanis Server
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle
    *Dunkurk Qirva Donnar Zoraida Dolvar Zorg Salii Smally Kungfugee Kruknud Smully Warfrog*

Community Member

You can't tank the white dragon even with a healer babysitting you.
    The damage is insane from being frozen + breath.

I saw 1500+ HP go in a blink of an eye and thought "did someone get the license plate of that Mac Truck that just owned me"

What I do on my tank is let the casters dot the dragon, then I Intim the dragon so they don't get eaten.
    Run around, Intim some more, Run around...you get the picture.

In summary:

Quote Originally Posted by eazyrider View Post
    Maybe someone else has a better suggestion for how to do the dragon on a melee, but I've not seen it myself. Good luck.
    This probably won't help the OP, but sufficient Diplomacy makes it fairly easy to disengage at will and avoid a Benny Hill scenario.
    So, in and melee, out when you start to slow, back in when you warm up, diplo if you get agro.
    Last edited by SableShadow; 02-28-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "As the party's resident trap expert ..." <dies with smug yet surprised expression on face>

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    In summary:

Don't forget to Stretch.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Green steel is OP, with that said, as a tank, you need to craft all kinds of ele. abs. 45% weapons and use them accordingly. Sigil of Energy Negation from magister is great twist and its a must in new content.
    Thelanis: Gladnadjeva Limeny Bimbamboom Cutyslice

There are 2 pillars on either side of the screen thing behind you when you come in.
    casters/heals/ranged can jump up on top of these and are pretty safe from the dragon. they just dot the **** out of him while you go and beat down the giant.

with any luck you don't have to fight the dragon at all.

The same tactic can be employed against the other 2 as well.

with the black dragon there is a rock the casters can jump up on, and with the blue, a pillar, getting up on the pillar is slightly tricky (jump needed etc) as you have to hop up onto a shield in the pile of loot next to it, then you can reach the pillar
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

Community Member

Thanks for the constructive replies.

Well, I'm glad to hear it that's it's just near impossible to tank/melee.
    That means I'm not just failing outright.
    I'm aware that there are smarter tactics to accomplishing the goal in a party.
    I just wanted to see where I could improve against such a devastatingly tough opponent.

Thank you Glad for the suggestion of green steel energy absorb items, and Sigil of Energy Negation twist.
    I will look into those things.

I haven't tried it, but you can have your caster cast Break enchantment on those ice things White dragon casts. I might try it. I'll let you know how it went.

I concur that he's not tankable.

Play with the giant and leave a caster on the dragon.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Yep. Best way to tank that dragon is to go beat on the giant and let people who can cast and run deal with the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I concur that he's not tankable.

I tanked him on my sorcerer. That was with 75% elemental absorption buff from shiradi though.
    With 10% from the other shiradi buff and 50% from fire shield + cold resists his breath tickled me for about 20 damage
    His melee attacks still hurt though and can hit for 400+, so a doubleswing might kill you.
    Worked OK for me with displace, incorparability, 21%dodge.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

It is possible if you have two mellee tanks. Keep the dragon switching between you two. One in front one behind. Gives you a bit more chance at surviving but is still alot more risky than ranged killing him.

Don't stand still run around him and you might avoid his breath.

Definetly tankable. I tanked him 3 times in a row, zero deaths on my bbn.

We were in a near all guild group of what I consider some of the most skilled healers on khyber tho. It's quite hard to survive. Was saved by godmode a couple times, but never died on our first few runs.

I had to pull out all the stops too - Toven cookies for 1400+ hp, hezrou/titan cookies for top dps. Other key to my tanking/threat is the fact that 90% of my attacks ignore his slowdown as they have static animations (cleaves/mom swing).

On a later run, after I had run out of toven cookies, yea I died.. Got him to 40% or so tho with only ~1200hp and no -25% dmg. But after the first death, I was pretty squishy so yea the rest was done mostly with dots and me chasing him around. (From the druid/cleric, the "let the caster do it" option doesnt always fly with me, especially since we often dont even take one.)

However, most of my deaths were from the breath, and I have a solution to that: Cloak of Flames. 10% chance for fireshield, should take care of the breaths. Haven't tried it yet, but pretty confident it would work and not require any toven cookies. Can also get my PRR up if I slot an aug and maybe go Fury (generally in dreadnaught for blitzing the earlier part of the quest).

Dont see why a Stalwart with ~1400 hp and enough PRR to match my toven cookies couldnt survive it anyways tho with top notch healing. I mean the most he can do with break is about 1150 - thats while your helpless from ice, and weak to ice from aura. He can melee for similar amounts tho with my ~30 prr - 300ish, and can triple strike.

So yea op: Cloak of flames, bit more hp and very solid healer or two and you should be able to do it. Definetely harder for a paladin tho, as you will lack some of the cleaves a bbn can do to ignore the slowdown.
    Last edited by Shade; 03-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    However, most of my deaths were from the breath, and I have a solution to that: Cloak of Flames. 10% chance for fireshield, should take care of the breaths.
    I'm trying to determine how sarcastic you are being. Don't get me wrong, as I agree that fireshield would help out a lot, but... That is like "Tank and Pray" style, and while I don't know your playstyle, that doesn't seem to be your style from your posts unless you are trying something out to learn from it.

You'd be better off twisting in the draconic Energy Sheath, that way it would be a guarantied effect, let alone last longer than 30 seconds.

Default Energy Sheathe

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I'm trying to determine how sarcastic you are being. Don't get me wrong, as I agree that fireshield would help out a lot, but... That is like "Tank and Pray" style, and while I don't know your playstyle, that doesn't seem to be your style from your posts unless you are trying something out to learn from it.

You'd be better off twisting in the draconic Energy Sheath, that way it would be a guarantied effect, let alone last longer than 30 seconds.
    Must concur that this is a godsend for paladins, whom I often see have the room feat-wise (from splashing) to quicken it as well.

Greensteel absorption is dandy but often comes at a loss of DPS or other defensive capabilities that I find unacceptable for Grundaussir.

+1 to the suggestion of magister sigil of energy negation. If you have ground out Magister on a melee, Tor is the place to benefit from it.
    Character Compendium

The White Dragon is tankable, but it takes preparation in the end I think it is still more "Cost Effective" to use range.

Magistar's Energy Symbol is an effective method - Requires a Tier 4 Twist or someone running in Magistar (Wizards and Sorcerer's on this board seem to indicate they don't). However, it is useful in all fights in helping reduce incoming elemental damage

Draconic Energy Sheath - Tier 1 Twist (Personal), requires a source of Spell Points as well it is useful for one energy type so needs to be chosen based on where it would be needed most.

Sharadi Champion - Elemental Absorption Tier 4 - Requires someone else cast it on you

Ability to use Fireshield can take the place of Draconic Energy Sheath, but is either limited by Clicky/Effect Triggering (On-Hit) or the ability to cast/scroll the spell.

The Dragon also uses a dispel ability so having something that grants you the ability to cross slippery surfaces is valuable. Rock Boots, Kundaric Boots, FoM spell (constantly recast)...

Even "Wings" can be a valuable way to get out of the way of a breath attack (which by the way is the deadliest attack they have)

In my opinion a well prepared Paladin Tank does have a higher survival rating tanking this beast. But as a party leader I would prefer having this monster "Ranged" and put the melee on the Giant, and it is not because I don't think it can be done, I just know that it will cost far less to do it that way.

See that white patch on the floor? See that bluish-white counter on the top right of your screen counting up to 5? When you see that, move out of the patch for a few seconds and it will rapidly go down, then you can re-engage the dragon. The one thing that peeves me about this particular encounter, is that none of the ED effects that break you out of CC (while CC'd), apply in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    See that white patch on the floor? See that bluish-white counter on the top right of your screen counting up to 5? When you see that, move out of the patch for a few seconds and it will rapidly go down, then you can re-engage the dragon. The one thing that peeves me about this particular encounter, is that none of the ED effects that break you out of CC (while CC'd), apply in this situation.
    I'll remember that effect. +1

It's why my Shadowdancer's Shadow Form to escape by tumbling-backflip wasn't working. Once nearly frozen, you're totally screwed with movement.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast