Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Player Housing

Thumbs up

can't let this pass without a "Mee too!"

Oh how I would LOVE a Trophy rack as furniture.. A place to hang all those semi neat bits of gear that crop up that a part of me wants to keep but there not quite usful enough (Threnal Warblade for an example) or the classic Docent +3 of uberness (RR - Dwarf) Wish I had been able to keep that; even if it was just to look at and not sell or use....

Maybe we could start with a rented room at a tavern then as other have said move up to apartments even houses as favour rewards. Yes yes an yes amen.

Of course I wonder if you have a room to call your own - would a form of PvP for rogues be implemented where we get to rob each others cribs???

Be a place to put all my spare traps etc and use all those rune & sigle spells (Assuming their duration was dinked with as well)
    Beauty? nah...the Death ray is in the eye of the Beholder

Lost in my imagination.... or sometimes just living in Canada..

/signed and +1 for requesting it

I would so love to see houses. I don't usually like to bring up other MMOs on another MMO's forums (it feels kinda rude to me) but I can't help but mention Runescape and their housing. I've only every played RS and DDO for MMOs, but I loved the houses in RS. It was one of my favourite things, which is something my husband would lovingly tease me about. We would describe RS to people and he would talk about the combat, the armor, the fun quests.. and I would chime in 'and it has houses, and MY house is AWESOME!' lol
    (That and I loved summoning too, so he would joke about how I'm such a girl playing with my house and pets in RS. lol )

Anyhow, I would LOVE houses in DDO! The guild ships are 'nearly' there but not quite. We need houses with animations to actually lay down and sleep in your bed (maybe with some rested bonus?) and sit at a table to eat your ham and broccoli, or couches to sit on to chat with your friends that you invited into your house. <3

Seriously loving this.
    (Formally known as Luadrilae)

Phaeshalee likes you. Yes... you.
    My deviantART gallery

I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose.

Different housing for different types of classes would be nice but with the tr thing I doubt it would be done. Would like my wizards tower as well.

If it were in the game like some kind of apartment I could buy or rent I doubt I would bother. If it were like land and keep granted by the nobility that I must protect and could be able to expand on then I would like to try that.

What I would like is too complicated though.

Lost in my imagination.... or sometimes just living in Canada..

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose..

And attract followers! Don't forget the followers. *loves on you for the AD&D nostalgia*
    (Formally known as Luadrilae)

Phaeshalee likes you. Yes... you.
    My deviantART gallery

I also posted a few months back on the need for Player Housing here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=401946

Seeing as Storage is becoming a problem with the limited number of backpacks we can hold per toon, and given the influx of BTC items over the last few add-ons.

There are only 4 real requirements IMO.

1) Instance Room/Area (Place to call MINE)
    2) Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
    3) Turbine HAS to make a Profit in some fashion (they need to pay for the game)
    4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest)

It does not have to be huge or fancy. The more complicated it is, the more likely Turbine will not install it. And they have to make $$$.

A Small instance room accessible thru a clicky Door. Usable PER CHARACTER ONLY, aka not shareable. Lasts thru TR. Therefore a TP moderate sink for Turbine.

VIP Instant Access. Giving a much needed perk to VIP.

4 Orange Hook Points (Apartment Hooks)

Room by default has a Small Chest. (20 slots any item) and a Armor Rack (5 Armor slot items).

Turbine Points purchasable for Orange Hooks only:

1500TP = Apartment Key. (Grants access, free to VIP)

1000TP = Room Upgrade = 6 hook points.

500TP = Medium Chest (40 Slots)
    750TP = Large Chest (50 Slots)

500 TP = Large Armor Rack (10 Armor Slots)

500 TP = Accessory Cabinet (20 Accessories slots)
    750TP = Large Accessory Cabinet (40 Slots)

Ect Ect ect.

weapons rack
    scroll rack
    potion table
    wand cubby
    clothing armor
    pet pen
    ect ect

I would indeed buy MANY of these as storage is always a premium in DDO. Storage is one of the only things I would spend TP on as there is generally no in game equal.

We get Storage and Space + Turbine turns a continuous Profit = All Wins.

Any other ideas?

Remember, keep it simple and possibly something mechanically already in game. Copying or re-skinning an item/content is MUCH easier then building totally new code.

Everquest2 has the best Housing and Guild Hall features in the MMORPG industry. DDO has done many things right, but EQ2 got this feature right: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Housing

When Everquest launched housing, people said it would tank because 'nobody wants to play house'. The masses who generally ignore forums however, proved them quite wrong.

Furniture, different housing styles, different textured walls, it all sells in the store, and sells pretty well apparently. Same is true for EQ2. I haven't played other games with housing, but from what I hear it's generally a very popular thing, and people will dump RL cash on it in an instant. They'll tailor the housing to look the way they want, and if they have the ability to show it off, they will, in a heartbeat.

If it's a robust enough housing system, they'll even compete with each other in giant forum threadnaughts of housing pictures to see who's got the coolest-looking house.

I suspect that housing in DDO would be no different. Might even draw additional players to the game, and help them feel connected to the game world, and invested in the story. After all, if the Truthful One's actions will destroy Xendrik, roleplayers will be even more concerned if they actually have a house there. And semi-roleplayers. And even the soloers who are effectively roleplaying with themselves as they craft (through quest choices) the story of their character, from nekkid shipwreckee, to godsbane.

Let them set their creature companions to roam the housing randomly performing their tricks. People will buy more creature companions for that, in addition to buying housing and paying upkeep on it (be it as platsink or TP). And the more you let them personalize it, the more they'll pay to do just that.

Housing is a CASH-COW. That should have been apparent the moment Smedley gave the green light to implementing it for EQ. Turbine, I rarely say this, but follow Smedley's example. He was right about that. You WILL make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose.
    You brave sir, are entirely right, but maybe chose the wrong land for this, it's not good for the health.
    The reason there's no mounts to go out there it's they get eaten. Being right and dead isn't much fun.

Go and ask poor old Nash Braza how it worked for him, i can already picture you sitting on the road crying :/
    Or the Deneith Army at the various outposts. Everyone else wall up in the city because that's what it was built for.

Oh but they ship in more brave warriors willing to go out there every day, to replace the ones that dun return.
    No wonder there's so much junk loot in lairs, it's a pollution problem but hey, we are cheap, in the eyes of the Coin Lords.
    Meanwhile them patrons get rich in their little mining venture that is Stormreach, we just keep the roads open.

I'm not saying of course, that wouldn't do it myself. I'll just bring an army. What's a landlord without the followers.
    Gotta be worth it, the place is colorful and the view is nice, i hear the beach is a popular tourist spot, specially among the droaam and sahuagin.

There's plenty of cheap real state out there, the giants left them vacant that one time with the crisis.
    Personally i'd ask Ugurtz for his hut, it's a nice building, right outside the goblins keep so it's good for business.
    And just a short walk to the tavern, if they'd just fix the bridge.

p.s. maybe not a bad idea after all. Nothing wrong if we have player housing *and* monsters sneaking in when you visit.
    Totally in the spirit of the game and setting.
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 03-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Community Member

They have to implement it without a favor/renown grind. Either store items or platinum, you have got to be able to walk into a house and buy whatever you want/can afford. Housing is the LAST thing that needs a heavy "grindy" element to it.

I more like the idea of a keep then a house at least then you can have a bit of it all, a home for storage and decoration, and the pleasure of fighting off the occasional wandering mob(s) who want to try to take your stuffs!
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

I just want a place to hang my fishing trophies.

Oh, wait...

Right.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

I played EQ2 for a brief time at launch and it seems like you automatically got a house- "hovel" would be more precise- with your account. I think housing was account-based rather than character-based. Aside from that, my memory fails me as to details. It was just too long ago.

Of the games I've played, Dark Age of Camelot had the best player housing system. If you know the game, it had three Realms (Albion, Hibernia and Norse). Each realm had their own housing zones located not too far from their main city. Each realm had three types of houses, ranging from rather spartan to deluxe (with costs to match).

The process went like this: buy your lot, buy your house deed and let the customization begin! You could pick different materials for the outside of your house and different colors for them and place various trees.shrubs and things like wishing wells and sculptures in the yard (each cost coin so were very good plat sinks). Each house had a number of hookpoints, and these hookpoints could be used for anything from Trophies crafted from the remains of rare spawns to crafting tables, a personal teleporter, storage chests and many other things. The best aspect of the house, I thought, was that you could add a Porch to the outside and install a player merchant to sell your crafted goods, loot or whatever (and could also be used for more storage if needed). Your items were listed at a Master Merchant at the entrance of the housing zone (you could buy the item from the merchant and pay a convenience fee or hop a horse and ride to the individual house to save money). Houses were account-based, and it was not unusual for a Guild to get together and buy a large Guild Hall in a village (each zone had multiple villages of perhaps ten lots each) and Guild members buy up all of the other lots in the village so a Guild could claim the village as their own (and place your Guild emblem on the outside of the house as a tapestry). Houses had a "security system" that you could set so that you could allow all, some or none to enter and see your decorating taste.

Mythic, DAoC's developer, did it up right. The system was extraordinarily versatile, letting a player go as complex as they wanted to in putting their own stamp on their house, yet you could also choose to do only the basics (storage, bind stone and teleporter). I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Community Member

I would also like to point out that Ashron's Call has player housing. Since Lord of the Rings Online has it, that makes 2 out of Turbine's 3 MMOs that have player housing. I think Dungeons and Dragons Online deserves it, too.

Default Just by picking from guilds..

A house is a essentially a 1 person guild with a guild member only chest. Want company, send a 'ship' invite. Most of the current guild amenities could be available as well. I can't imagine how high a single person guild could get their favor though. Would cheaper perks impact the existing guild structure?

Since this has been a very popular idea, there must be some reason that Turbine does not want to increase the amount of player storage because that is always mentioned with housing. I don't really have any idea what that reason might be, but it seems that they would rather have you running multiple characters and accounts and wasting time moving stuff around then seeing inventory window at the bank that is 30 by 30 with 6 tabs.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    This... Would be difficult to implement. But I don't believe it would be impossible. Stormreach is a city and all we've ever seen is the Harbor, the Marketplace, and the Noble House Quarters. We also got a peek at the Tenements in The Sharn Syndicate quest chain.

My idea is to make standard housing out in the Tenements area. You can either pay a monthly platinum fee based on the size of your house or you can pay a one-time Turbine Point fee for a permanent residence. It comes unfurnished and new quests are made that drop furniture loot, some of which can bestow buffs if used. For instance, you'll get a temporary bonus for logging out in bed and when you log in, you can get another temporary bonus for eating breakfast in your own home.

You access the house by going to the Marketplace, go to the same place you go to reach the Sharn Syndicate quest, but you're given an additional "go home" option when you click the doorway which will send you to your personal doorstep. You have a little porch there and a short landing where you can look out on the street, if you like. There's also room on your porch for a few furniture items like a potted plant or rocking chair or (during Halloween) jack o'lantern. You can even get custom doors with special designs or crossed axes or whatever.

Favor with the Houses or Free Agents can net you the right to have a home in the House Quarters or the Harbor.

So... Fail idea or awesomesauce?
    Sure, okay. It's nothing I'll eagerly hop up and down panting for, but, as you described it, I don't hate it, either.
    That's definitely in line with the right way to go about implementing it, if it ever is.

Though I'd much rather they add in Guild Airship cosmetics [as in, actual placeable features, similar to crew spots, but tons all over the ship for simple things like rugs, etc; rather than just really bland airship ring/deck colorations] first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Skipped some of the posts so if I mentioned something already said, apologies.

I've thought of this also while looking at the unused doors in Stormreach. Around where Lockania is currently situated.

I was thinking of a private berth on your guildship. A private chest to augment the shared bank. Hookpoints for furnishings. Things can drop in game or be purchased in the store. (Revenue, Turbine!) I remember long ago a friend showing me his Ultima apartment.

/signed
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good any more?

Proud handler of Baldric, Melkazar, Clant, Mulray, Tirimon, Mallon.
    Remember, if one of them falls off a cliff, it's actually my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I disagree, one of the major (and badly needed in this games) features that should be focused on is that this absolutely could be a coin sink.....
    As much as I hate paying up my rents over on LOTRO side, I sadly agree that ongoing rent/maintenance is a good thing overall.

Going on a break and coming back to find the Kinship house is locked up with over 9 Gold (think 9 mil plat or so) owing is a downer.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    No need to scrap airships in order to add individual housing.

They could just have both side by side. ....

Have to reference LOTRO-side again. Same way as they do personal housing and Kinship housing there. Just two separate links to each. Here, could be two doors, or a pop-up choice with one door.) Totally doable - even without fishing trophies.

And, Kal. STOP trying to get us attacked!

Nice write-up, Thay. I don't agree with ALL the points you present, but was well-presented. I'll have to get back to ya with some /props another day.

Ranger. I have to disgaree with the guild-ship berthing concept. Would cut out too many unguilded (or perpetually low-level guilded) folks.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 03-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
    I was thinking of a private berth on your guildship. A private chest to augment the shared bank. Hookpoints for furnishings. Things can drop in game or be purchased in the store. (Revenue, Turbine!) I remember long ago a friend showing me his Ultima apartment.
    What about all the people who aren't in guilds? Or the guilds that don't have airships?

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    As much as I hate paying up my rents over on LOTRO side, I sadly agree that ongoing rent/maintenance is a good thing overall.

Going on a break and coming back to find the Kinship house is locked up with over 9 Gold (think 9 mil plat or so) owing is a downer.

Have to reference LOTRO-side again. Same way as they do personal housing and Kinship housing there. Just two separate links to each. Here, could be two doors, or a pop-up choice with one door.) Totally doable - even without fishing trophies.

And, Kal. STOP trying to get us attacked!

Nice write-up, Thay. I don't agree with ALL the points you present, but was well-presented. I'll have to get back to ya with some /props another day.

Ranger. I have to disgaree with the guild-ship berthing concept. Would cut out too many unguilded (or perpetually low-level guilded) folks.

hehe in response to the bold ya know me I am chaotic neutral a dead mob is potential loot! cackles
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    .... I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.
    Don't think there was anything you could buy with cash, at least by ToA. Around then they modified their ToS to allow players to sell accounts as well.

I liked their housing system and I can't recall it being particularly buggy. The consignment merchant was very useful as was the ability to put crafting stations and raw material merchants in the house. Once you bought something for a hookpoint it was permanent but if you failed to keep-up your rent you would lose everything...except the stuff in chests as their was an npc that would hold that stuff for you. Heck maybe I still have stuff waiting from my lost lots...was that really about 10 years ago now?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    Don't think there was anything you could buy with cash, at least by ToA. Around then they modified their ToS to allow players to sell accounts as well.

I liked their housing system and I can't recall it being particularly buggy. The consignment merchant was very useful as was the ability to put crafting stations and raw material merchants in the house. Once you bought something for a hookpoint it was permanent but if you failed to keep-up your rent you would lose everything...except the stuff in chests as their was an npc that would hold that stuff for you. Heck maybe I still have stuff waiting from my lost lots...was that really about 10 years ago now?
    And for me that succés was starting to the downfall also. The cities crafting places, where ppl were before went all of a sudden ghosttowns, all just sat in their houses and crafted. Atleast so for me. But yes was long time ago, i might remember wrong. (And waiting for a nightspawn, over 1rl hour waiting and then some other ran up and ninjaed...)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post

Ah man...was it really ten years ago? I guess that's about right.

I was on one of the Role Playing servers at first but wandered over to the Co-Op server (Gaheris or "Carebear" as it was rudely referred to). I was in one of the larger Guilds on the regular server but, when I wandered back over there just to check it out after playing on Gaheris for a bit over a year, it was an absolute ghost town: village after village had no functioning houses in them- all were padlocked (yep- that was the actual graphic on a house for which rent was due). My Guild's village was totally shut down. I'm not sure which game effectively killed DAoC, but I'd guess that the playing (and paying) population decreased by 90% over about eighteen months. I hated that, because the game deserved better.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast