Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Player Housing

Default Player Housing

This... Would be difficult to implement. But I don't believe it would be impossible. Stormreach is a city and all we've ever seen is the Harbor, the Marketplace, and the Noble House Quarters. We also got a peek at the Tenements in The Sharn Syndicate quest chain.

My idea is to make standard housing out in the Tenements area. You can either pay a monthly platinum fee based on the size of your house or you can pay a one-time Turbine Point fee for a permanent residence. It comes unfurnished and new quests are made that drop furniture loot, some of which can bestow buffs if used. For instance, you'll get a temporary bonus for logging out in bed and when you log in, you can get another temporary bonus for eating breakfast in your own home.

You access the house by going to the Marketplace, go to the same place you go to reach the Sharn Syndicate quest, but you're given an additional "go home" option when you click the doorway which will send you to your personal doorstep. You have a little porch there and a short landing where you can look out on the street, if you like. There's also room on your porch for a few furniture items like a potted plant or rocking chair or (during Halloween) jack o'lantern. You can even get custom doors with special designs or crossed axes or whatever.

Favor with the Houses or Free Agents can net you the right to have a home in the House Quarters or the Harbor.

So... Fail idea or awesomesauce?

Hmmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have more storage in your own home?

This could be a win win...
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

That's one of the furniture pieces you could get, chests. Chests, drawers, dressers... It's a home. And you can invite people inside simply by grouping with them. You can give people the ability to actually take and leave things there via the same control panel you pay rent with.

This idea has been percolating in my mind literally since I first started playing half a decade ago. Back then, I came here from Star Wars Galaxies where players could create entire cities that would appear on the in-game world maps.

Community Member

I support any measure that adds player housing.

I do not think furnature should be dropped as loot, however. Something more like the system used on guild airships. Maybe decorative furnature is a one-time fee but useful furnature costs?

I also would be very unhappy with any kind of monthly fee on the house. However, a single TP payment or single large plat payment would be great.

Most of the work is already there in the form of guild airships, but this is something more personal. It actually bothers me quite a bit that I have no personal space in the game. I feel like a vagrant, a drifter. I imagine my characters sleeping in gutters or huddled up behind the crafting machines in the crafting hall, with nowhere to hang his hat... its kind of depressing, actually.

In general I say awesome idea. Frankly the one thing that might make me leave DDO eventually is the utter lack of housing. I need someplace to park my characters at the end of the day... you know in Skyrim I never save an exit until my character is safely in a room at the inn or in his house.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Noob View Post
    Hmmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have more storage in your own home?

This could be a win win...
    Everyone wants more storage. Please, please more storage!!

The only game I have ever seen to have a decent housing system was SWG players could build towns and have their houses where people could come in a see people's trophies and decorating if we can have that I dont care to see it. Well I could live without the town building though but I would like us to be able to decorate and have people come see what we have done but there isnt enough entrances in town for each player to do it proper so I doubt I would be happy with what they could do.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I support any measure that adds player housing.

I do not think furnature should be dropped as loot, however. Something more like the system used on guild airships. Maybe decorative furnature is a one-time fee but useful furnature costs?

I also would be very unhappy with any kind of monthly fee on the house. However, a single TP payment or single large plat payment would be great.

Most of the work is already there in the form of guild airships, but this is something more personal. It actually bothers me quite a bit that I have no personal space in the game. I feel like a vagrant, a drifter. I imagine my characters sleeping in gutters or huddled up behind the crafting machines in the crafting hall, with nowhere to hang his hat... its kind of depressing, actually.

In general I say awesome idea. Frankly the one thing that might make me leave DDO eventually is the utter lack of housing. I need someplace to park my characters at the end of the day... you know in Skyrim I never save an exit until my character is safely in a room at the inn or in his house.
    You would've loved Star Wars Galaxies. We had everything from little two-room Tatooine adobe huts to Sail Barges for housing. We could build entire cities complete with cantinas, shuttlecraft ports, healing facilities, mayor's halls, guild halls, even opera halls, the works. And yeah, that's where the monthly fee idea comes from. It wasn't onerous or excessive, and if you missed a payment your house went into foreclosure where everything was still there, you just couldn't access it until you paid your bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    You would've loved Star Wars Galaxies. We had everything from little two-room Tatooine adobe huts to Sail Barges for housing. We could build entire cities complete with cantinas, shuttlecraft ports, healing facilities, mayor's halls, guild halls, even opera halls, the works. And yeah, that's where the monthly fee idea comes from. It wasn't onerous or excessive, and if you missed a payment your house went into foreclosure where everything was still there, you just couldn't access it until you paid your bills.
    What server and did you play before they ruined the game with NGE? I played on Intrepid Chilistra and Bria

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    What server and did you play before they ruined the game with NGE? I played on Intrepid and I forget the other 2 played a lot on
    I joined about a week after the dreaded NGE and spent the next several years being made to feel like a horrible excuse for a human being for daring to play a Jedi. I didn't even KNOW about the damned thing until I finally got sick of being pushed around and demanded to know why I was being treated like Grand Moff Tarkin being tried before a court of Alderaan survivors about a month in. Anyway, Draekk Cromwell was born and died on Starsider.

I joined about a week after the dreaded NGE and spent the next several years being made to feel like a horrible excuse for a human being for daring to play a Jedi. I didn't even KNOW about the damned thing until I finally got sick of being pushed around and demanded to know why I was being treated like Grand Moff Tarkin being tried before a court of Alderaan survivors about a month in. Anyway, Draekk Cromwell was born and died on Starsider.
    You missed the better game but I know why people wanted to play jedi at least they kept the excellent housing system You can play somewhat of the classic SWG if you try the emu.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Everyone wants more storage. Please, please more storage!!
    I don't want more storage.

I want the storage I have to be more useable.

Sorting for Green bags, please.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

Sorting for All bags, please.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

Sorting for Green bags, please.
    that would be wonderful

Community Member

Ultima Online had a pretty great housing system. I never actually got to play that game, but you could build your own house and have crafting stations and nearly infinite storage. The game in general just had ridiculously good storage, very easy to organize, very extensive... if I remember correctly, its been so very many years...

Anyway as far as how to "do it proper", remember Stormreach is a humongous city, all we really need are a few well-placed entrances, the inmplication being(as it always has been) that there is just a lot more of the city that we dont even really see.

Think less "house" and more "apartment" you have a room or a few rooms you rent.

Although I really am still opposed to the monthly-fee system. One of my favorite aspects of DDO is the ability to put it down and stop playing(I'm premium, though I spend more than a VIP). The idea that without any effort, I can just not log in for a long time, then come back to the game. I get the whole house going into forclosure and all, thats ok, I just in general prefer one-time payments to anything reocuring. Thats why I went premium instead of VIP, thats why I prefer to buy rather than rent.

Housing has been done before in other games, but D&D has much potential on its own.
    It can be coded simple and grow up from there, starting with we already have and later inventing new stuff to put in houses.

A toon may begin with a humble shack and then move up towards a big hall.
    What to put in there? Those chests that dun fit your airship to begin with.
    Then your pets, so they can roam free, after all they aren't pokemon.
    Your house should heal and rest like a tavern, and also receive mail, since it's your address.

I'm not too fond of furniture collecting, since in D&D house is more like a base or hideout to a hero.
    However beside the basic props it should have some form of trophy displays.
    You may get some mementos as rewards from the adventures, including paintings.
    Treasure in the form of art pieces is also very D&D, which people often skip due to their lack of functional value.
    Books could be nice too, filling up quest by quest, useful if you tend to skip the storylines.

New ammenities would be good features, since there can be stuff that doesn't belong to ships.
    Your big spellbook could be there, from which you can memorize spells on every new wizard life.
    It's an excellent place for potion storing, since devs seem to have trouble or are otherwise unwilling to put boxes on inventory.
    Scrolls too of course, wands, and other stuff that take room like airship contracts.
    I imagine turbine would be willing to sell new storage, and the housing is one good excuse.

Wouldn't be far fetched to have a special chest for bound to character items.
    In fact, it could hold your whole TR bank, since there's no reason to have it open every single time you go to the bank.
    Or at least the stuff that is bound to character, which is deemed hard to steal.
    It's a good thing Stormreach is tight on security, despite all the thieves and invaders.

It'd be nice to leave in house the stuff you won't use and leave the rest in the actual TR cache in the bank.
    That way your house would collect mementos of past lives, like family heirlooms, minus the dust in the attic.

That aside, a mirror portal would be nice, require favor with each patron before being able to teleport to each site.
    (including house L for the airship tower)
    You can then use clickies of Word of Recall, making the spell useful for once.

And speaking of favor, as your house grows into a big mansion your social status go up as well.
    You need plenty of patron favor before being allowed bigger houses in Stormreach, real state isn't cheap.
    NPCs should be able to tell you apart from the freshly arrived mercs in the harbor.

In a house theres lots of room (isn't it) for tinkering with new ideas.
    Henchmen, followers, come to mind. There's actual house stuff in PnP books.
    By the SBG you can even make rooms and furniture into magic items.
    On DDO as it is it'd be useless but maybe there could be quests where your house comes into play.

And beyond Stormreach, there's Eveningstar, Schillindryn, etc.

This... Would be difficult to implement. But I don't believe it would be impossible. Stormreach is a city and all we've ever seen is the Harbor, the Marketplace, and the Noble House Quarters. We also got a peek at the Tenements in The Sharn Syndicate quest chain.
    Don't forget Rushmore Mansion, lots of room in all those alleys in the outskirts.
    However, mind Stormreach is relatively small for D&D standarts, it's just a fortified settlement.
    It exists to get the patron's little mining venture running in the otherwise savage land of Xen'drik.

Naturally, the Coin Lords might be willing to lease a room for a fee.
    Not with plat though, they dun like our coin or gems, that's just bait to bring fresh mercs offshore.
    The city live off the trade of dragonshards, but that aside getting favor with the patrons should do the trick.
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 02-28-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Ultima Online had a pretty great housing system. I never actually got to play that game, but you could build your own house and have crafting stations and nearly infinite storage. The game in general just had ridiculously good storage, very easy to organize, very extensive... if I remember correctly, its been so very many years...

Anyway as far as how to "do it proper", remember Stormreach is a humongous city, all we really need are a few well-placed entrances, the inmplication being(as it always has been) that there is just a lot more of the city that we dont even really see.

Think less "house" and more "apartment" you have a room or a few rooms you rent.

Although I really am still opposed to the monthly-fee system. One of my favorite aspects of DDO is the ability to put it down and stop playing(I'm premium, though I spend more than a VIP). The idea that without any effort, I can just not log in for a long time, then come back to the game. I get the whole house going into forclosure and all, thats ok, I just in general prefer one-time payments to anything reocuring. Thats why I went premium instead of VIP, thats why I prefer to buy rather than rent.
    A one-time payment is fine with ME, it's just not what I remember from SWG, you know? The Empire apparently didn't believe in privately-owned housing. Other games do, such as DCUO and Champions Online. Neither of those caught my imagination quite like SWG, however. I lived in a city created by someone I KNEW in SWG. He was a buddy and I was in his guild and we organized that city into coherent streets and boulevards together and placed the shuttleport and vehicle garages together in one convenient spot and we put the cantina and the diner and the nightclub all together in a little entertainment district. Most of our guild lived in that city and we had some non-guild allies to round out the population. We had a little park with several fountains and a floral garden and a bunch of sculptures and none of it had ANY game effect, but it looked cool, so we spent HOURS putting it all together.
    Last edited by Kilbar; 02-28-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Just to daydream for a moment...

This would make for a great intermediary Favor benchmark. Earn X favor with a faction or house - gain the right to purchase property there. Start with a small apartment - earn up to a Syndicate size mansion with max favor in the house.

Each favor faction's housing would have it's own style and motif suited to the faction, and houses could have hookpoints for personalizing amenities. No buffs, however... keep those the bailiwick of the Guild Ships. These would be for decor/trophies/storage options only. No timers on them, unless the owner wants to swap them out for something new. Beat VoN - unlock a set of VoN trophies for the house - etc.

Want to invite somebody over? Modify the Airship Beacon to be a House beacon, and invite folks over.

...sigh. It was a nice dream, but I don't think it's going to go beyond that.

Community Member

I think it's insane to want Turbine to find a way to house all of the players. First, I imagine most of them already have a place to live. I know I"m not trading my house for whatever bug-infested shack Turbine would provide. Second, they'd have to burn it down and rebuild it two days after everyone moved in, and then where would we all go?

Now, character housing? That might be a good idea.

Community Member

My idea is to make standard housing out in the Tenements area. You can either pay a monthly platinum fee based on the size of your house or you can pay a one-time Turbine Point fee for a permanent residence. It comes unfurnished and new quests are made that drop furniture loot, some of which can bestow buffs if used. For instance, you'll get a temporary bonus for logging out in bed and when you log in, you can get another temporary bonus for eating breakfast in your own home.

You access the house by going to the Marketplace, go to the same place you go to reach the Sharn Syndicate quest, but you're given an additional "go home" option when you click the doorway which will send you to your personal doorstep. You have a little porch there and a short landing where you can look out on the street, if you like. There's also room on your porch for a few furniture items like a potted plant or rocking chair or (during Halloween) jack o'lantern. You can even get custom doors with special designs or crossed axes or whatever.

Favor with the Houses or Free Agents can net you the right to have a home in the House Quarters or the Harbor.

So... Fail idea or awesomesauce?
    Major Awesomesauce! +100

And closets for storage space. And rooms for your pets to sleep.

I love it! I want one for each of my chars!

-Ozmar the Homeowner
    I can has no signature. Alas!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    Housing has been done before in other games, but D&D has much potential on its own.
    It can be coded simple and grow up from there, starting with we already have and later inventing new stuff to put in houses.

A toon may begin with a humble shack and then move up towards a big hall.
    What to put in there? Those chests that dun fit your airship to begin with.
    Then your pets, so they can roam free, after all they aren't pokemon.
    Your house should heal and rest like a tavern, and also receive mail, since it's your address.

I'm not too fond of furniture collecting, since in D&D house is more like a base or hideout to a hero.
    However beside the basic props it should have some form of trophy displays.
    You may get some mementos as rewards from the adventures, including paintings.
    Treasure in the form of art pieces is also very D&D, which people often skip due to their lack of functional value.
    Books could be nice too, filling up quest by quest, useful if you tend to skip the storylines.

New ammenities would be good features, since there can be stuff that doesn't belong to ships.
    Your big spellbook could be there, from which you can memorize spells on every new wizard life.
    It's an excellent place for potion storing, since devs seem to have trouble or are otherwise unwilling to put boxes on inventory.
    Scrolls too of course, wands, and other stuff that take room like airship contracts.
    I imagine turbine would be willing to sell new storage, and the housing is one good excuse.

Wouldn't be far fetched to have a special chest for bound to character items.
    In fact, it could hold your whole TR bank, since there's no reason to have it open every single time you go to the bank.
    Or at least the stuff that is bound to character, which is deemed hard to steal.
    It's a good thing Stormreach is tight on security, despite all the thieves and invaders.

It'd be nice to leave in house the stuff you won't use and leave the rest in the actual TR cache in the bank.
    That way your house would collect mementos of past lives, like family heirlooms, minus the dust in the attic.

That aside, a mirror portal would be nice, require favor with each patron before being able to teleport to each site.
    (including house L for the airship tower)
    You can then use clickies of Word of Recall, making the spell useful for once.

And speaking of favor, as your house grows into a big mansion your social status go up as well.
    You need plenty of patron favor before being allowed bigger houses in Stormreach, real state isn't cheap.
    NPCs should be able to tell you apart from the freshly arrived mercs in the harbor.

In a house theres lots of room (isn't it) for tinkering with new ideas.
    Henchmen, followers, come to mind. There's actual house stuff in PnP books.
    By the SBG you can even make rooms and furniture into magic items.
    On DDO as it is it'd be useless but maybe there could be quests where your house comes into play.

And beyond Stormreach, there's Eveningstar, Schillindryn, etc.

Don't forget Rushmore Mansion, lots of room in all those alleys in the outskirts.
    However, mind Stormreach is relatively small for D&D standarts, it's just a fortified settlement.
    It exists to get the patron's little mining venture running in the otherwise savage land of Xen'drik.

Naturally, the Coin Lords might be willing to lease a room for a fee.
    Not with plat though, they dun like our coin or gems, that's just bait to bring fresh mercs offshore.
    The city live off the trade of dragonshards, but that aside getting favor with the patrons should do the trick.
    There are so many great ideas that could be easily implemented. This is a fertile field of wonderful ideas to draw on. Turbine, please do this! Do this! Do this!

-Ozmar the Excited
    I can has no signature. Alas!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast