Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Player Housing

Community Member

It was World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft killed DAOC. It was sad.

Ironically, WoW has no player housing whatsoever(or had, i haven't touched it in ages). So a good housing system wasn't enough to resist the siren call of WoW...

Of course WoW's siren call was more like that scene from The Simpsons where the sirens turn out to be Patty and Thelmma. But people still played it.

Default As long as we are dreaming...

I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?), each player(account) could have a room their toons could share. Perhaps you could have a tavern area with a spirit binder to regen hp and sp. Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.
    Last edited by susiedupfer; 03-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Smile My 2 cp

Well my 2 cp worth.
    Do not think it will happen, would not mind it.
    Turbine (WB) could make money off of it.
    I think with the amount of players it might cause some problems "Housing issues"
    The single player Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning you can get a house, a mine with an office, a villa in the Gnome city, another home in Rathir after you complete the wizard's quest line.
    Towards the end game you also can get a castle. You can end up with like 5 or 6 places.
    Think most or all have storage that are linked.
    One cool thing about those is you can pay in game coin to have them updated plus there is a mirror where you can change your appearance.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

Star Wars Galaxies at its peak had more players than DDO currently has, had dozens of different styles of individual, player-placed houses that could be built into entire cities, and never once had a problem with it. In DDO's case, it would be far simpler to put together, as all housing would basically be instanced versions of a half dozen or so standard designs. If an older game like SWG could do it, why can't DDO?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by susiedupfer View Post
    I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. .
    Already have guild airships, now you want to drastically change that system? And again where does this leave the people who don't want to be in guilds, the small guilds, etc?

You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?),.
    A whole new class of items? Given the problems we have NOW, you suggest a whole new class of item binding, rather than just simplified individual player housing?!

Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.
    Not bad suggestions for changes to the CURRENT airship system(allow a 1-man guild to just use the current system as a housing system). The problem? It will make all of the crazy hardcore power-gamers madder than a ****-house rat. Propose any system at all that allows other players to have access to the current ameneties system without becoming bat-**** insane, and they will loose their collective minds.

It would be great to make a system dependant on price and not guild level, but you can't do that without ****ing off the extremely crazy demographic.

All these ideas sound great. Turbine gets money, I get an awesome house. It's a win-win.
    Sarlona
    Arthnoxx, currently on life 4
    DDOwiki: best source for just about everything about ddo

I enjoy my house in LotRO, and I think Turbine could implement a similar housing system on DDO (although it's a pain to keep the rent paid).
    Each neighborhood is an instance, with a limited number of buildings, small, double-size, and kinship-size(guild); those available for players to buy have a 'for sale' sign out front with the stats. Each neighborhood also has a bank and vendors. When a neighborhood fills up, another instance is added.
    A personal house is account-wide, but you can set permissions for anyone to do any number of things that you can do (you can even let other folks pay your rent!).
    Furnishing are bought from a dealer, crafted (not doable in DDO currently), or obtained from special events.
    Players that don't care about housing certainly don't have to get a house; if they receive furnishing from somewhere, they just sell at the auction house.
    Having such a system in DDO would, in my opinion, add another dimension to the game and (looks like) make quite a few people happier to be there.
    Fairy tales don’t teach children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Fairy tales teach children that dragons can be beaten.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Community Member

I just wanna stop being a hobo-paladin...

Even totally instanced housing gives you the feeling that you have some impact on the world. I'm not a big fan of rent, honestly, but really I'd take anything at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I just wanna stop being a hobo-paladin...

Even totally instanced housing gives you the feeling that you have some impact on the world. I'm not a big fan of rent, honestly, but really I'd take anything at this point.
    Sorry had to respond to the bold, the whole "will lay on hands for food" popped into my head
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    Sorry had to respond to the bold, the whole "will lay on hands for food" popped into my head
    I hear that, with a webcam, you can make some gold with that act.
    Fairy tales don’t teach children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Fairy tales teach children that dragons can be beaten.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Community Member

Just noticed this thread, so I'll paste what I wrote last year in a similar one:

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius87 View Post
    The whole idea that I love about D&D in general is the role-playing aspect. In DDO not having housing takes a lot away from the immersion factor. In games such as BG and IWD you were always on the road and getting to a village or city was a great relief as you knew you'd always find a friendly inn where you could rest and take care of all your repairing/selling needs.

DDO is centered around Stormreach, so I really find it hard to believe from an RP point of view that the thousands of characters sleep on the street. Ok, the farshifters and teleporters leave out the need for days of travel and inns at your destination (although I would like to see stuff in general chat like "it took you x hours to get to Red Fens or Threnal or whatever"). Would it really be that hard to implement upper floors in taverns? One cheap floor and one expensive floor for example in the market and harbour, while housing in taverns in the house enclaves could be unlocked via 150 favour (example House D allowing you to have a small room in the barracks or House K in a bank hotel lol).

Anyway, from a player's pov, it would really help a lot to have chests for TR gear, as others have already mentioned. Also having trophies or ornamental stuff on walls wouldn't be too shabby, although it's not high on my list. LotRO has done a great job with housing, and, again from an RP pov, I found it really neat to be able to log off knowing that my char was home .

I play DDO mostly for the immersion factor, and with all the grinding and repeating that takes a lot away from this I'd really like something to give us back a little bit of that role-playing feel I've always loved in D&D games.

Community Member

Strongly agree that toons can have their own houses in the city, just like that in Elders Scroll. Players will have a back-to-home feeling whenever they log in to the game. This sentimental point is surely beneficial from the angle of DDO ongoing business.

Yep, I acknowledge and understand the resources (server size and other hard and software requirements) required for the above is a major consideration. Hope DDO can seriously consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Star Wars Galaxies at its peak had more players than DDO currently has, had dozens of different styles of individual, player-placed houses that could be built into entire cities, and never once had a problem with it. In DDO's case, it would be far simpler to put together, as all housing would basically be instanced versions of a half dozen or so standard designs. If an older game like SWG could do it, why can't DDO?
    SWG was designed with it in mind and compared to it anything they do for housing here would be a sad ugly thing.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I just wanted to say: YES. This would be fresh air for players tired of grinding items (Torc, Shards, Seals, ...) and give DDO a little more... cozyness. And a warm feeling of belonging, not just being another random guy trying to stay alive more than 25s at the PvP Harbor or being pushed away from parties because you are a squishy drow elf... and... ok.

Anyway, a great idea. : )

Default Arise o necro thread!

Im Bumping this as I still think this is a MUCH needed thing in DDO. It is almost an industry standard now that DDO is severely behind the curve on. I will restate my perspective on it:

There are only 4 real requirements IMO.

1) Instance Room/Area (Place to call MINE)
    2) Many Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
    3) Turbine HAS to make a Profit in some fashion (they need to pay for the game)
    4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest)

We get Storage and Space + Turbine turns a continuous Profit = All Wins.

Housing is a CASH-COW, in other games ive seen people spend ridiculous RL$$ to make their own home.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    I played EQ2 for a brief time at launch and it seems like you automatically got a house- "hovel" would be more precise- with your account. I think housing was account-based rather than character-based. Aside from that, my memory fails me as to details. It was just too long ago.

Of the games I've played, Dark Age of Camelot had the best player housing system. If you know the game, it had three Realms (Albion, Hibernia and Norse). Each realm had their own housing zones located not too far from their main city. Each realm had three types of houses, ranging from rather spartan to deluxe (with costs to match).

The process went like this: buy your lot, buy your house deed and let the customization begin! You could pick different materials for the outside of your house and different colors for them and place various trees.shrubs and things like wishing wells and sculptures in the yard (each cost coin so were very good plat sinks). Each house had a number of hookpoints, and these hookpoints could be used for anything from Trophies crafted from the remains of rare spawns to crafting tables, a personal teleporter, storage chests and many other things. The best aspect of the house, I thought, was that you could add a Porch to the outside and install a player merchant to sell your crafted goods, loot or whatever (and could also be used for more storage if needed). Your items were listed at a Master Merchant at the entrance of the housing zone (you could buy the item from the merchant and pay a convenience fee or hop a horse and ride to the individual house to save money). Houses were account-based, and it was not unusual for a Guild to get together and buy a large Guild Hall in a village (each zone had multiple villages of perhaps ten lots each) and Guild members buy up all of the other lots in the village so a Guild could claim the village as their own (and place your Guild emblem on the outside of the house as a tapestry). Houses had a "security system" that you could set so that you could allow all, some or none to enter and see your decorating taste.

Mythic, DAoC's developer, did it up right. The system was extraordinarily versatile, letting a player go as complex as they wanted to in putting their own stamp on their house, yet you could also choose to do only the basics (storage, bind stone and teleporter). I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.
    The absolute best housing ever done was SWG it made DAOC's housing look like ours! Also it had the best crafting which was needed to get your house but you didn't do that unless you were an architect yourself as far as placing the house if you got in enough people in the same area you could make a town with additional buildings like a hospital, bar and guild hall, now I know we can do that here and anything less would be a huge disappointment so I don't really care one way or another about housing here.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?), each player(account) could have a room their toons could share. Perhaps you could have a tavern area with a spirit binder to regen hp and sp. Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.
    Guild strongholds would be a good idea for buffs / storage in the Forgotten Realms and other D&D worlds if they are added later. As the steampunk themed airships only exist in Eberron, adding guild castles / fortresses would be a way to receive buffs and store items without returning to Eberron from other areas. The new airship models have laid the foundation for a guild building as the airships are basically flying fortresses at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    That's one of the furniture pieces you could get, chests. Chests, drawers, dressers... It's a home. And you can invite people inside simply by grouping with them. You can give people the ability to actually take and leave things there via the same control panel you pay rent with.

This idea has been percolating in my mind literally since I first started playing half a decade ago. Back then, I came here from Star Wars Galaxies where players could create entire cities that would appear on the in-game world maps.
    i really Support that idea, it´s fun. But furniture for loot? No please.

Guildy: "Guys, let´s farm Cabal, I want that Kings throne"
    “I have seen the dark universe yawning, where the black planets roll without aim, where they roll in their horror unheeded, without knowledge, or lustre, or name.”

Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I support any measure that adds player housing.

I do not think furnature should be dropped as loot, however. Something more like the system used on guild airships. Maybe decorative furnature is a one-time fee but useful furnature costs?

I also would be very unhappy with any kind of monthly fee on the house. However, a single TP payment or single large plat payment would be great.

Most of the work is already there in the form of guild airships, but this is something more personal. It actually bothers me quite a bit that I have no personal space in the game. I feel like a vagrant, a drifter. I imagine my characters sleeping in gutters or huddled up behind the crafting machines in the crafting hall, with nowhere to hang his hat... its kind of depressing, actually.

In general I say awesome idea. Frankly the one thing that might make me leave DDO eventually is the utter lack of housing. I need someplace to park my characters at the end of the day... you know in Skyrim I never save an exit until my character is safely in a room at the inn or in his house.
    I am a man. I need a man cave!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I don't think it would be a huge issue at all. IN fact, Turbine produces Lotro, which has BOTH individual player housing and guild housing. They already know how to do and manage the functionality, would just be a matter of justifying to the bosses that it would be worth spending their dev time on.

And tying everything to a guild isn't a great idea, not everyone is in a guild, or wants to be. I've known several top level players who didn't want to be in a guild and liked being freelance. Those players are customers too and deserve consideration when designing things like this.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast