Default Best foot forward

So I got MotU this week while it was on sale on steam. As much as I am meh about the FR setting in general I think turbine did a wonderful job on the King's Forest. But that just got me thinking how bare and joyless Korthos Island, Cerulean Hills and Searing Heights feel.

Now in general I think Korthos needs a rework in the style of Heyton's Rest but just polishing up the adventure zone, adding maybe 2 random events about the island and I think you'd see a lot of new players excited about the game and wanna keep playing.

Cerulean hills would also gain from a few events but it has quests inside so people will go there no matter what you do. Searing Heights really needs some work. I only ever go in there to farm explorers while invs and do the Sentinel Chain. Some drow conducting human sacrifice, pirates slaying towns people or a pack of wolves attacking a wounded merchant would all be decent events for the Heights.

I'm not saying an increase in xp for this sort of stuff would be a good idea, I'd actually give it all **** xp just so people won't farm them. The point is to show off some of your cool new stuff to new players. New players will have fun and adventure about wondering what event will happen next, old players will smile sagely and go back to window farming quests.

Edit: And now that I think about it a rare giant encounter in the Heights would be awesome for new players in the same way the dragon event in King's Forest is awesome. At that level range they have probably never seen a giant before and a rare one sitting on a hill would just awe them.
    Last edited by Mikula; 02-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikula View Post
    Edit: And now that I think about it a rare giant encounter in the Heights would be awesome for new players in the same way the dragon event in King's Forest is awesome. At that level range they have probably never seen a giant before and a rare one sitting on a hill would just awe them.
    Searing Heights is Lvl 4-10 {Most newbies - true newbies - won't be going in there before lvl 7 or 8}.

Redwillow's Ruins - Lvl 6 on Normal - has plenty of Giants {F2P}.
    Tangleroot Gorge - Lvl 3-7 slayer zone - has a Rare Giant {P2P}
    Small Problem - Lvl 5 Quest on Normal - has you protecting Giants {P2P}
    Stormcleave Outpost - Lvl 8 quest on Normal - More Giants {First Fire Giants in-game I believe}. {F2P}
    Threnal - Lvl 8-10 Quest Chain - Loads of Giants {P2P}

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Searing Heights is Lvl 4-10 {Most newbies - true newbies - won't be going in there before lvl 7 or 8}.

Redwillow's Ruins - Lvl 6 on Normal - has plenty of Giants {F2P}.
    I think we see mostly 7-8 in there right now because of Bargin of Blood. I'm not expecting lvl 4s in there, they upped the cr in the Sentinel update, right now a lvl 4 would be creamed, but I can see lvl 5-6 players doing Searing Heights. When I first joined I certainly did the Heights well before Redwillows just because I got lost going to the different houses and was just learning my way around the market, although again the cr was lower back then so that may have something to do with it as well.

I did remember the giant in tangleroot but I can't see a new player getting tangleroot of all quest packs first thing. Not to dis tangleroot it is still fun but its not as appealing as some of the other choices.

Even if they have seen a giant before hand if they handle the event well it can still have the impact of the green dragon.

The white dragon should have a 5% chance of attacking you in the korthos explorer area!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Quote Originally Posted by Mikula View Post
    I think we see mostly 7-8 in there right now because of Bargin of Blood. I'm not expecting lvl 4s in there, they upped the cr in the Sentinel update, right now a lvl 4 would be creamed, but I can see lvl 5-6 players doing Searing Heights. When I first joined I certainly did the Heights well before Redwillows just because I got lost going to the different houses and was just learning my way around the market, although again the cr was lower back then so that may have something to do with it as well.

I did remember the giant in tangleroot but I can't see a new player getting tangleroot of all quest packs first thing. Not to dis tangleroot it is still fun but its not as appealing as some of the other choices.

Even if they have seen a giant before hand if they handle the event well it can still have the impact of the green dragon.
    Tangleroot is in my opinion one of if not the best low level pack for a newbie to buy!
    Just selling the bunches of Fragrant Drowshoods, Silver Flame Hymals and Eberron Shards you pick up from Mushrooms, Bookcases, Rubble, Aventure Packs etc. can easily set you up for life!

Many Veterans swear by the Visors of the Flesh Render Guards too {Unlike Voice of the Master in Delera's these are NOT guaranteed drops at the end of the chain SO a Guest Pass just won't do!}.

And as for Redwillows vs Searing Heights - I've seen plenty of Groups up for Redwillows with Lvl 5s {and even 4s} allowed!
    Searing Heights however is Usually 7-10 {some people like myself open it up to lower BUT it's very rare that anyone under Lvl 7 will hit that LFM!}.

Redwillows - Like Tear of Dhakaan, Gwylan's Stand, Caverns of Korromar etc. - IS one of the Popular Lowbie f2p quests!
    It's rare you'll Ever HAVE to Solo or even Duo it!
    Like those other quests I personally would love to see it Epicced in a DDO Epic Classics pack with Tempest Spine as the End Raid!

Perhaps the Devs could add Searing Heights {along with Storm the Beaches of course} to Epic Sentinels when/if that pack ever gets redone!