Default Arcane Archer Ranger seeks help

I'm a level 7 Arcane Archer Ranger. Is the Favored Enemy the same for all Arcane Rangers? How do I know what the Favored Enemy is?

Community Member

You dictate what your favored enemy is. Every so many levels, you can add one type of critter to your favored enemy list (if that level is as a ranger).

If you don't remember what you picked, you can check your feat list under your character window. It should list all your favored enemies.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

You recieved your first favored enemy at level 1 and the 2nd at level 5. You would have had the opportunity to pick from a list of monster types such as Undead, Giant, Dragon, etc. If you chose to follow a premade path during character creation then those choices are being made for you, and you now are likely to have FE:Undead and FE:Elemental. Go to your Character Sheet, click on the Feats tab, and look at the list to see what's there. The pre-made paths are weak, terrible. Do yourself a favor and read up on the class here, and then start making your own choices.

Here are a couple Ranger threads to get you going.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277496
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=263907
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=168687
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    You recieved your first favored enemy at level 1 and the 2nd at level 5. You would have had the opportunity to pick from a list of monster types such as Undead, Giant, Dragon, etc. If you chose to follow a premade path during character creation then those choices are being made for you, and you now are likely to have FE:Undead and FE:Elemental. Go to your Character Sheet, click on the Feats tab, and look at the list to see what's there. The pre-made paths are weak, terrible. Do yourself a favor and read up on the class here, and then start making your own choices.

I suspect BOgre's right - if you haven't been prompted to choose one yet, you are on a "path" and cannot customize your character.

The SECOND one BOgre listed (entitled:Ranger Arcane Archer: or how an eternally ranged player sees the PrE) is actually (IMO) the one you should start with; but all three have great info.

Be Forewarned: Your first life (i.e. no reincarnations) WILL be your most frustrating as an AA Ranger - you will likely die... a lot. It is not a "hop on and play" class even though it may seem so. Bite your tongue and bear it - it eventually does get better.

Toxophile hands down one of the best (if albiet a tad dated) build guides/ ranged how-to's ever seen.

Hope this helps and enjoy - just remember running backwards is a good thing!

Community Member

Just a word of warning - the post above has got to be a troll.

The Toxo guide there is woefully and tragically misleading. The build is terrible, the gear recommendations are out of date and inaccurate to boot, and the play guide is full of misinformation.

Good luck.
    Vlyxnol / Ragedx / Marphist - Completionist of Legit
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."

Quote Originally Posted by ZzpxpzZ View Post
    Just a word of warning - the post above has got to be a troll.

The Toxo guide there is woefully and tragically misleading. The build is terrible, the gear recommendations are out of date and inaccurate to boot, and the play guide is full of misinformation.

Good luck.
    thanks not a troll and my lv25 Drow AA is very well regarded and is based upon this build guide.

I did say the guide was dated. Many things have changed (like the capstone still not working) and massive gear updates - but the strategies and suggestions are mostly still valid.

It isn't about a monkcher - it is about a straight - first time AA ranger build. monkchers are fun and very powerful - but are very advanced builds, and very easy to mess up in very bad ways.

I have no affiliation with the creator or site hosting - just a good solid starting guide...

It's not just "dated".
    Taking 4x toughnesses on a ranger has never been "valid".
    Spending four points in wis to cast has never been "valid".
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    We should nuke this from orbit.

The only reason Toxophilite still exists is that it's on an outside site. If was here, it'd have been torn to bits and locked long ago. And no, running backwards is NOT a good thing (most of the time). If you're going to be the kind of Ranger that refuses to ever put the bow down, and ends up kiting monsters all over the place while the rest of your party tries to regroup, then please do NOT become a Ranger. I trust you'll see the wisdom of this on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

The second link here, Pwesiela's guide, is a great intro to playing an AA. The other two are more detailed, build-oriented discussions and are focused on multi-classed melee rangers. There's useful info there, but it might not be that useful for the OP at the moment. FYI, for all of them, the equipment discussions are probably outdated, so don't focus too much on that aspect right now.

When I started this game, I went with a pre-made path on my ranger and I can testify to how bad the results are (I got stuck with Favoured Enemy Kobold and Orc as my choices before I figured it out). I echo BOgre's advice to switch out at your next level-up (if you're on the pre-made paths). It's pretty simple, just tell the trainer you wan't to choose your own path.

If this is your situation, don't worry, your character isn't too damaged yet and most of it can be changed. There are ways to reset your feats, like Favoured Enemy, and your enhancements can be reset very easily. It may take some in-game resources, like platinum and a few other things, but not that much. If you're on Thelanis I'd be happy to send you what you need to cover any costs, and I'm sure there are lots of other players who'd offer likewise.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Toxophile hands down one of the best (if albiet a tad dated) build guides/ ranged how-to's ever seen.
    I don't care how old that build is, I can't imagine there was ever a time when Toughness x4 and no melee or ranged DPS feats (apart from AA pre-reqs) was a good idea. The alternate feat choices are better - at least he has IC:Ranged - but still in need of tweaking.

In short: do not follow that build, OP.

Thanks everyone for the great information. Looks like I have more light reading to do. I've been away from D&D for years, but am enjoying getting back into. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, like not understanding stacking, and buying equipment that did nothing to help me. I'm greatful for all the good people that have offered their time to help guide me to being a better player. I started as an Arcane Ranger, but my character plays more like a tank, then a ranged expert. I've tried to run the character as a Holy and Lawful Ranger, and have enjoyed weilding my dual Khopesh. Thanks again to everyone !

The only reason Toxophilite still exists is that it's on an outside site. If was here, it'd have been torn to bits and locked long ago. And no, running backwards is NOT a good thing (most of the time). If you're going to be the kind of Ranger that refuses to ever put the bow down, and ends up kiting monsters all over the place while the rest of your party tries to regroup, then please do NOT become a Ranger. I trust you'll see the wisdom of this on your own.

Community Member

Ouch.

Just ouch.

My favourite bit was the section on avoiding aggro. Could have cut it down to "just follow this guide and you will never grab aggro again"...