Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Yeah, I'm excited too... I'm not so sure level 28 is a good idea, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
    My first guess is at least another feat slot and stat point. Now we'll have 8 commoner levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Yeah, I'm excited too... I'm not so sure level 28 is a good idea, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
    Not me, it's just more levels same stuff any D&D DM has been dealing with since D&D went up to 40 in the AD&D days.

The thing that scares me is this "Iconic Heroes" deal...

Ding...
    Your Party member Drizzt Do'urden, has died
    Ding...
    Ding....
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

until enhancement are confirmed, i will not spend a single penny more on this game. if it end up to be "soon" again, then this will be the last of me here..
    DDO have betray it's lineage, it is no longer any true to DND.. which Is why am gone.. for good..

I just hope Eberon won't die, motu was ok but I love the steam punk themed Eberon vs every other fantasy game. I thought house C was getting an expansion soon?

Community Member

Nice things here. That being said two points:

- Raising the level cap right now is indeed too early.
    - I am a Game Designer and I know what you are doing with the "Iconic Characters" and it is a bad idea, but obviously if you made the announcement it is already too late.

What you are doing is trying to compete with the upcoming "Neverwinter" MMO, who is Forgotten Realms right from the start and even has "Renegade Drow" race, allowing for all those little Drizzt to be created.

They have what people wanted for so long: A Forgotten Realms MMO (whoever had the brilliant idea to make Eberron the setting for DDO was stupid btw)

So you only had three solutions:

1) Create a massive amount of new content in Forgotten Realms, allowing to create a character from level 1 there directly and thus slowly make Eberron obsolete
    Issue: Very costy to do and would make too much content obsolete, you don't want that.

2) Allow for people to create character directly at level 15, like some kind of super veteran status
    Issue: Only some people would have access to it, or it would be costly to buy, and in every case would feel unfair to people who leveled to 15, as well as again making a tons of content obsolete, also you want to attract new players, and leveling a character directly to 15 is quite complex.

3) Create "Pre-Made" characters that start at level 15 in forgotten realms, make them easy to understand and use, more "mainstream" in the hope that you will grab players that want a fresh start in DnD universe and especially Forgotten Realms. Making the level 1 Eberron Characters a kind of "Expert Mode", allowing for more powerful and complex characters if you take the time to understand the mechanics and to level them.

Issue: You might separate your community into 2 different one, the Iconic vs the Expert, thing is the two won't play nicely to each other, and you also run the risk to alienate your devoted player base.

So here is why it is a bad idea:

It might seem a good "business" decision to try to attract Forgotten Realms afficionados and especially take advantage of the publicity Neverwinter is putting on the DnD universe right now, but you are taking a MASSIVE risk here, the risk to lose and alienate the players who are here because DDO is providing an experience that no other MMO can match, as you said it "Superior character creation and customisation", builds, TR, enhancement, that complexity is the reason the game survived, you are a niche game admit it, embrace it, capitalise on it, because that's what makes you strong.

If you try to go "mainstream", you might lose your current player base, then be compared to the "mainstream" monsters like WoW and of course you won't win a fight against them.

In conclusion, you are doing something really really risky and the chance that you successfully pull it off, gaining both more subsbribers from the mainstream market and keeping your current one, are close to 0.
    Basically you want to be among the "big MMOs" but you have absolutely no way to survive up there, if you are not careful you will simply end up being another generic fantasy F2P mmo and die a slow and painful death.

Btw, the best solution was the first one, costly but done smoothly, little by little, in the long run, that would have been the best.
    Last edited by Lauraliane; 02-26-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauraliane View Post
    They have what people wanted for so long: A Forgotten Realms MMO (whoever had the brilliant idea to make Eberron the setting for DDO was stupid btw)
    I think the choices were limited but disagree anyway. I like the Eberron setting and don't believe I'm the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    I think the choices were limited but disagree anyway. I like the Eberron setting and don't believe I'm the only one.
    Turbine was pretty much told by WotC to use Eberron or nothing back when this thing started so yah, they had no choice.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    I'm not saying some people don't like it, but lets be honest, if we did a popularity contest FR would win 10 to 1.
    Even wizards of the coast brought back FR on the front lines in DND 4e.

Why do you think the new MMO is called Neverwinter and giving Drizzt race in their founder pack?

You are more than entitled to like Eberron, but FR is potentially the most profitable business wise.

Btw that whole expansion, the iconic characters etc are obviously 100% business and money driven, I m pretty sure there are no game design will behind this and the DDO development team itself probably think it is not such a good idea.

But when your boss say: The FR expansion sold well, we want more money and to take advantage of that Neverwinter MMO publicity, do another expansion now and find a way to "steal" their players. You shut up and do it.

That being said, if the dev team is as passionate as they seem to be, they will still do their very best to keep the game awesome and unique, despite the money grabbing moves the direction impose them, so there is definitely hope

Good luck dev, I know what you feel, trust me.
    Last edited by Lauraliane; 02-26-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Exclamation

ok to all those complaining about VIPs and what they get the EULA sates:

Changes to Agreement and Game: Turbine may update this Agreement at its sole discretion, and you will be asked to review and agree to the revised version of the EULA once it becomes effective. If you do not agree to a revised EULA, you will not be permitted to continue playing the Game. If at any time you are no longer able to comply with the terms of the then-current EULA, you must terminate this Agreement pursuant to Section 2 and immediately stop using the Game. Turbine may change, modify, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Game at any time. Turbine may also impose limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Game without notice or liability. You have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in any feature or content contained in the Game.

if you would have read the Agreement then you would know that they can restrict access to any and all players, VIP/premium/Free to play. hell IF they wanted they could only give VIPs access to selected areas but not the quests, extra character slots, the races, classes, or the 500 TP you get every month
    tepidus flamma of amicitia mos usquequaque persevero ustulo in nostrum pectus pectoris pro totus infinitio

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    pay the 80,000 a year average industry salary to each of their employees
    if past results are any indication, they are making min wage for the quality of work provided.

Exclamation ESO anyone?

Hmmmm, this all seems to be very big and very fast. . .

this would not have anything to do with the launch of Elder Scrolls Online around the same time as your presumed release dates and enhancement pass beta would it.

gotta try and hold onto players i supose. . .

Ding...
    Ding...
    Ding....
    I think it would be hysterical if the set included him as a gold seal hireling.
    "Drizzt, go pull that lever ..."
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "As the party's resident trap expert ..." <dies with smug yet surprised expression on face>

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Not me, it's just more levels same stuff any D&D DM has been dealing with since D&D went up to 40 in the AD&D days.

The thing that scares me is this "Iconic Heroes" deal...

Ding...
    Ding...
    Ding....
    ............... Why the heck would that scare you? I'd be fracking encouraging it!

Quote Originally Posted by Musashiclaw View Post
    Want to make it easier on people build in a character builder into the UI when you log in.
    Guys can log in. Build their character from the creation screen and when they level it will auto assign their skills and enhancements based upon what they chose.

People can upload templates and people can choose certain templates to apply to their characters.

or some such idea.. still fleshing it out..
    I like where that is going - upload a build and call it custom path.

Quote Originally Posted by rsking View Post
    the only problem with that is if you have a new player (by that i mean literal fresh meat) and you let them choose all there base stats, then when they get that done they may start selecting feats, increasing unnecessary stats, spending AP on stuff that they don't need, and even putting points into the wrong skills.

though they do that already..... they won't be able to fix their build if they mess up. on top of that you will have people that upload completely terrible and unplayable builds with that system.
    They already do.

EDIT: sorry, missed your last sentence! Sure they could - prompt for "continue upon my custom path" or "change my path" upon level up - already done on the Heart of Wind... just reuse it. This is a phenomenal idea, IMHO.
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 02-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauraliane View Post
    Nice things here. That being said two points:

- Raising the level cap right now is indeed too early.
    - I am a Game Designer and I know what you are doing with the "Iconic Characters" and it is a bad idea, but obviously if you made the announcement it is already too late.

What you are doing is trying to compete with the upcoming "Neverwinter" MMO, who is Forgotten Realms right from the start and even has "Renegade Drow" race, allowing for all those little Drizzt to be created.

So you only had three solutions:

1) Create a massive amount of new content in Forgotten Realms, allowing to create a character from level 1 there directly and thus slowly make Eberron obsolete
    Issue: Very costy to do and would make too much content obsolete, you don't want that.

2) Allow for people to create character directly at level 15, like some kind of super veteran status
    Issue: Only some people would have access to it, or it would be costly to buy, and in every case would feel unfair to people who leveled to 15, as well as again making a tons of content obsolete, also you want to attract new players, and leveling a character directly to 15 is quite complex.

3) Create "Pre-Made" characters that start at level 15 in forgotten realms, make them easy to understand and use, more "mainstream" in the hope that you will grab players that want a fresh start in DnD universe and especially Forgotten Realms. Making the level 1 Eberron Characters a kind of "Expert Mode", allowing for more powerful and complex characters if you take the time to understand the mechanics and to level them.

Issue: You might separate your community into 2 different one, the Iconic vs the Expert, thing is the two won't play nicely to each other, and you also run the risk to alienate your devoted player base.

So here is why it is a bad idea:

It might seem a good "business" decision to try to attract Forgotten Realms afficionados and especially take advantage of the publicity Neverwinter is putting on the DnD universe right now, but you are taking a MASSIVE risk here, the risk to lose and alienate the players who are here because DDO is providing an experience that no other MMO can match, as you said it "Superior character creation and customisation", builds, TR, enhancement, that complexity is the reason the game survived, you are a niche game admit it, embrace it, capitalise on it, because that's what makes you strong.

If you try to go "mainstream", you might lose your current player base, then be compared to the "mainstream" monsters like WoW and of course you won't win a fight against them.

In conclusion, you are doing something really really risky and the chance that you successfully pull it off, gaining both more subsbribers from the mainstream market and keeping your current one, are close to 0.
    Basically you want to be among the "big MMOs" but you have absolutely no way to survive up there, if you are not careful you will simply end up being another generic fantasy F2P mmo and die a slow and painful death.

Btw, the best solution was the first one, costly but done smoothly, little by little, in the long run, that would have been the best.
    Not everyone likes the better they were forgotten realms but they would have a been a bonus for some people since if they had started the game in that horrible unoriginal place I wouldnt be here.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

<shrugs> last expansion/collectors I paid for and I got many hours enjoyment out of it and still play the content, looking forward to a new one.

...I have to say though, I've looked at Mem's awesome cake more than I've read the announcement!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    I think it would be hysterical if the set included him as a gold seal hireling.
    "Drizzt, go pull that lever ..."
    As funny as that sounds, I really hope that its a gold seal Kobold Shaman. As others have pointed out, Witch Doctor Korba can really kick butt when you bribe him.

Community Member

Default Moar Forgotten Realms!

Moar Forgotten Realms!

I´ll buy it!
    I was actually about to quit just before the MOTU camed , never been a EBERRON fan really.

Happy anniversary DDO !

Regards

I like Eberron. I hope it won't be forgotten. On my part there never had to be MOTU. On my part do with the realms what they're about - forget them! I like the quests actually, but I'd have preferred an expansion of similar size solely with Eberron content.

On the other hand, I understand why Turbine goes the FR road. I am not happy with it, but it's nothing that'll make me quit playing. More content sounds good, whereever the quests take place, because it's better than no new content.

I am wary of the increased lvl cap, but it's too early to say. I do think, however, that epic lvls really don't matter. The power is in the ED's and everyone knows that. Chances are, higher lvl content will be unplayable for characters without ED's and I wonder if and how the ED's will be changed, because it seems a bit strange being able to max an ED before having maxed the epic lvls.

I'd pay for a new expansion. I understand that a new expansion is done for the (probably sole) reason of getting a new quick cash influx. There's nothing wrong with that and anyone expecting an expansion to be free has failed their reality check.

Considering how many hours I've played since MOTU came out, it was well worth the pre-order money. Sure, a few months later, MOTU got a lot cheaper, but that happens with every game out there, so that's no reason to feel "cheated" in any way.

Besides, I totally adore the panther !

THE BUGS SUCK A LOT. Maybe this time Turbine'll do it right, but I don't believe it. Chances are there will be more bugs than ever and things that previously worked will become broken. Turbine has a history of that happening and hope/trust that this is going to change is not warranted at the moment. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

So whether I'll pay for a new expansion will depend a lot on how many old bugs get fixed before that. If that doesn't happen, I'll keep playing, because I still like the game (yes, even with the bugs), but I won't spend any more money. If Turbine wants to earn cash, they first have to prove they know what they're doing. If they do, I'll most likely pre-order again.
    Last edited by Todesnymphe; 02-27-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: fixing typos

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast