Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Colon_Cancer View Post
    This, This will be me once it comes out. Right now I'm kind of skeptical...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Umm Hi! This is my signature. If you don't like it I love you! Welp thanks for taking the time to read this!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of another level cap increase.

Level cap increases in MMOs almost always effectively delete all the old content.

Pre-MOTU DDO endgame consisted of the following:
    - Entry to endgame: Normal Shroud/VOD/HOX/TOD/Amrath walkups/some of those on Hard/Epic Carnival. All content aimed at players that are new to level 20 play on first life poorly equipped and poorly built toons.
    - The accessible endgame: Elite Shroud/VOD. Heroic Norm/Hard LOB/MA, Epic VON6, Epic Chronoscope, most non-Desert 6-person Epics. All content that is widely beaten by PUGs but maybe not on the first try and you'd not want the weakest 10% of players in your group.
    - The harder endgame: Epic LOB, Epic MA, Desert 6-persons on Epic (and a couple of other epics), and a few other seldom run things of comparable/higher difficulty (elite TOD part 1, elite Stealer of Souls, elite Gianthold Tor dragons). All things that were punishing of mistakes.

It's taken until U17 for DDO's endgame to recover to that level of variety after MOTU launched, and that's only occurred because Gianthold has changed the old 'Epic Hard is super-easy, Epic Elite is hard with nothing in between'. (Epic Hard is non-trivial in Gianthold in general).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You do realize that every single mmo on the market charges for expansions right?
    Nope, it's a thing around here, and probably other free to play MMO's they tend to get players who have zero experience with how PC games work, or typical conventions like paying for expansions. It's also why we get so many posts asking how they could possibly release updates with any bugs at all. I think F2P brings in lots of players who actually think game developers can provide them with years of entertainment for free, because you know; they don't need to eat, own a home, or feed their families...

Things that are normal to some of us, are unthinkable outrages to others.

I can't count how many 60 dollar games I've played for 1 or 2 months and loved... How many expansion packs I've paid for that I got a month or 3 weeks out of...Alternately some of them lasted years (multiplayer) I own the original NWN, the Gold version, a platinum version and a DIAMOND version barely played the expansions, mostly played online (loved single player Undrentide module though) admittedly because it was cheaper to buy the bundle on sale at that time than to buy the separate packs.

MOTU is what 10 months old? Summer is as much as 5 or 6 months off depending on when in summer they release? 15 months is not exactly a crazy release schedule. Personally I hope they put this expansion on retail shelves and advertize... new players are welcome.
    Last edited by IronClan; 02-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by axan View Post
    Taken from that link...
    gain new epic feats and spells
    Did they say epic spells?
    Yes virginia, yes they did.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Taken from that link...

Did they say epic spells?
    Yes virginia, yes they did.
    my thoughts exactly!?

Also I like the direction they are going with the wilderness quest descriptions. Sounds like fun.
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Indeed.

Fool me once, and all that.
    Wow so you've never seen a 6 month old game that you paid full price for in the bargain bin for $9.99?

I would find that shocking for anyone who's played more than one or two MMO's or three or four PC games. I bought one of Ultima Online's expansions for $5 and it contained free game time worth I think $20... Never saw anyone angry about it because they bought it the day it came out probably 8 months earlier for $59.99... Some of them bought the $79.99 cloth map version... Which these days probably sells for $500 on ebay or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

I look forward to the new expansion!
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Level increase? 38 point builds? Expansion? I don’t think I am ready for any of those.

Maybe by the time they actually come I will be but it does seem a bit soon to me right now.

The last level cap increase reduced the number of different characters I play. Another cap increase in likely to reduce the number of characters I play even more. I just don’t have the time to work that many character to cap and then cap their epic destinies. At least enough to get the twist of fate I want for each character (mostly tier 1s).

Start at level 15? Not sure what to think of that. Might be nice to try certain builds at high level quickly but again I already have more characters then I have time to play.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DDO!

/raise
    /drink
    /pour another

The new stuff kinda looks interesting.

I will have fun, i think, using the extra flexibility of 3 extra epic level to further make wierdo builds.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    *Dracolich
    Yeah, I think "Dracolitch" is the similar but legally distinct name most other games use who don't have the rights for the proper "dracolich".

Kinda like "halfling"

/show tin foil hat on

DDO IS LOSING THE RIGHTS TO D&D!!!111!

/show tin foil hat off
    Last edited by phillymiket; 02-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

The new lvl cap is pretty meh... still don't like how epic lvls are handled... but anyways

what really worries me are the new "iconic heroes"... if that mmorpg.com info can be trusted:

"Introducing Iconic Heroes -- Jump into the action of DDO with these new prestige characters that start in Forgotten Realms at level 15 and feature unique looks and skills. Each of these classic D&D heroes is a paragon of their race and class and features custom iconic gear, appearance options and new abilities to enhance their power."

- unique skills
    - unique new abilities?

yeah... don't like how this sounds...

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Not a fan of another level cap increase.

Level cap increases in MMOs almost always effectively delete all the old content.

Pre-MOTU DDO endgame consisted of the following:
    - Entry to endgame: Normal Shroud/VOD/HOX/TOD/Amrath walkups/some of those on Hard/Epic Carnival. All content aimed at players that are new to level 20 play on first life poorly equipped and poorly built toons.
    - The accessible endgame: Elite Shroud/VOD. Heroic Norm/Hard LOB/MA, Epic VON6, Epic Chronoscope, most non-Desert 6-person Epics. All content that is widely beaten by PUGs but maybe not on the first try and you'd not want the weakest 10% of players in your group.
    - The harder endgame: Epic LOB, Epic MA, Desert 6-persons on Epic (and a couple of other epics), and a few other seldom run things of comparable/higher difficulty (elite TOD part 1, elite Stealer of Souls, elite Gianthold Tor dragons). All things that were punishing of mistakes.

It's taken until U17 for DDO's endgame to recover to that level of variety after MOTU launched, and that's only occurred because Gianthold has changed the old 'Epic Hard is super-easy, Epic Elite is hard with nothing in between'. (Epic Hard is non-trivial in Gianthold in general).
    I have to disagree, I find most of GH EH to be trivial. In fact I think the raid needs to be harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Level increase? 38 point builds? Expansion? I don’t think I am ready for any of those.

Maybe by the time they actually come I will be but it does seem a bit soon to me right now.

The last level cap increase reduced the number of different characters I play. Another cap increase in likely to reduce the number of characters I play even more. I just don’t have the time to work that many character to cap and then cap their epic destinies. At least enough to get the twist of fate I want for each character (mostly tier 1s).

Start at level 15? Not sure what to think of that. Might be nice to try certain builds at high level quickly but again I already have more characters then I have time to play.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    I am excited about all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    I am not entirely sure that this should be something that a software company should be trumpeting as a selling-point feature.

Instead of spending developer time re-tooling a feature that lets your customers report its shortcomings more efficiently, how about releasing a produce that doesn't require your customer base to report its shortcomings, or at least not have to report bugs on a scale as large as would require spending developer time and resources for this "feature".

"Coming Soon from Apple: A single button on your Iphone that allows you to call us and tell us badly broken the product you bought from us is"

"Coming Soon From Ford: When you discover a problem with your vehicle, you can now reach us immediately and tell us about the problem... because you will definitely have problems"

Okay.. I'm ready for the backlash from those who believe that it is the customer's duty, nay imperative, to find and report bugs. Go!
    +1 - You come to San Antonio, I'm buying you a drink.

Community Member

I'm not sure I like alot of what I'm hearing in this announcement.

First, the Enhancement revamp seems to be getting the short end of the stick, again. Now classes are getting at least 2, instead of 3, trees. Blah! It's bad enough that the Enhancement system was pushed back because of the Epic Destiny, when the new Enhancement system should have been pushed out prior to the Epic Destiny. Now it looks like the new Enhancement system is being cut by 1/3 for some classes to revamp the Epic Destinies and/or add the Epic TR system.

So what are the consequences for having less trees in some classes? If players are only allowed 3 class trees and 1 racial tree, this might alter the power than some classes have vs other classes, whether they multi-class or are pure. As others have mentioned, there's no mention of racial trees. This could just be an oversight in the announcement. Or more worrisome, the racial trees have been dropped also.

Second, I don't might Expansions being added to the game, but the Shadow Conspiracy as it stands now doesn't meet what I'd call Expansion worthy right now. As it stands now, Expansion 2 seems to consist of Shadow Conspiracy quests/wilderness(es), Iconic Status and maybe something else, so there are more than just quests with the expansion. That's fine. Except for me an Expansion should consist of something that expands the "universe" of the game, such as MOTU did. Going into a different D&D setting is expansion worthy but this seems to be just an extension to MOTU. Heck, I'd even an expansion that brought players to Sharn in the Eberron setting would be acceptable since it would/should be a large new city.

Third, a level 16 quests and a wilderness area is something that is needed in the game and in the Forgotten Realms area. However, the Devs should have really done that with MOTU. The first set of quests and King's Forest should have been available for upper tier heroic players while the rest of the expansion should have been reserved for for epic players only. So it now appears that the Expansion stuff will take place after MOTU but available to play there prior to the MOTU storyline. Sloppy.

Fourth, I'm going to have to side with others who believe the level cap being raised is way, way, way too soon. Much like Epic levels being introduced prior to padding levels 12 to 20 with more quests/XP, there's still a bit more padding needed in the epic levels in quest/XP. I'll call again for raising the XP in the upper Heroic levels as a short term solution. If the XP for Amarth, House C and MOTU heroic quests had comparable XP to the early Epic quests, the segregation of Heroic and Epic players wouldn't be as stark since Epic players would have a good reason to run those quests.

I'm sure I have more to say, but I can't remember. Well, these are my first impressions of the announcement. Oh, and horray for Owlbears. Gobins are still missing though, right? Booooo!

like many others i am leery about the expansion ...i probally wont buy it knowing i can get it at half price a month or so later...and i am surly not the only one who feels that way.... i was very dissappointed in the last expansions explorer areas ..while very pretty...

they dropped nothing but random loot and comms from encounters so they barely got ran past the initial wow phase..

if you have 3 hrs to play are you going to run the dungeons that can drop you the rare items you want? or run explorer areas that just drop random loot ...you get more than enough comms and xp grinding quests for items(bad drop rates) that you dont need to do encounters for xp or comms

if you want players to assign time to run your explorer areas you need to give them a reason to cross a quest off thier runtime list

Introducing Iconic Heroes -- Jump into the action of DDO with these new prestige characters that start in Forgotten Realms at level 15 and feature unique looks and skills. Each of these classic D&D heroes is a paragon of their race and class and features custom iconic gear, appearance options and new abilities to enhance their power.
    errr .... WHAT???

"classic D&D heroes" as in NPCs from FR? Like one of the seven sisters, or some such? If so no thank you.

Please let me be wrong, so far I am more than just a bit apprehensive, this does not sound like something that I would ever want in the game.

I realize you [Turbine] have already dropped the bombshell with the news of the new expansion pack, level increase, and iconic heroes, so there is no way you will listen to any post in this forum about what a bad idea any of these have the potential to be, but please for the love of Lolth do not ever make lore NPCs playable.

And while you are at it if these iconic heroes get "unique" skills, gear, and power, does that mean our toons now become second best, and all the work we have put into them is going to be less than worthless?

I realize I am speculating and lack of information is a major problem right now, but I really, really, really hope I am misunderstanding this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

HAPPY Birthday

any chance the monks can get trap the soul on a named handwraps? the only items that can have it are shields, armor, green steel and one epic item from the red fens.
    Last edited by rsking; 02-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    tepidus flamma of amicitia mos usquequaque persevero ustulo in nostrum pectus pectoris pro totus infinitio

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You do realize that every single mmo on the market charges for expansions right?
    EVE has not had a paid expansion in ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Taojeff View Post
    I have to disagree, I find most of GH EH to be trivial. In fact I think the raid needs to be harder.
    By non-trivial I mean PUGs can't zerg it. PUGs can definitely complete it easily, but not at extreme speed.

Mainly due to mobs having high enough saves that you can't easy-button the content with Wail or Implosion, and enough HP that you can't obliterate rooms with one Energy Burst, and on top of that they hit hard enough that you can't ignore them.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast