Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glin View Post
    A few replies have touched on the 'start at level 15' feature of Iconic characters and I think a little more info will be helpful at this time.

We recognise that some players can build a specific character more to their liking than some of the options in the character generator, there are so many race/class options that they are not equal in specificity or power across all levels.
    Moreover, DDO is a superior MMO* when it comes to character creation and we will not be taking that option away from you... 'you' being, you daring number crunching heroes off the paved path.

* veiws expressed here are my own.
    If this means we can build a level 15 character from level 1 just like we do with level 4 and 7 Veteran Status, then bring it on.

Morgulion • Romenion • Valmyrion • Vanielle • Zandrine • Zeldaryne • Zinnuviel

From the MMORPG.COM article:

• Two New Forgotten Realms Adventure Packs -- Featuring gorgeous new wilderness areas packed with new D&D monsters, dangerous encounters and a host of challenging dungeons.
    • Wheloon: Horrors from the Shadowfell pour into Wheloon, a prison city full of irredeemable criminals and traitors to the Crown. In this place, Netherese agents conspire to forge an army out of the Kingdom’s enemies. Masquerade as a traitor to infiltrate the Prison City, fight marauding criminal gangs, and destroy the army before it marches – all the while battling creatures made out of the very shadows.
    • Stormhorns: Deep in the Stormhorn Mountains, the Netherese Empire prepares to unleash its secret weapon against the Kingdom of Cormyr. Brave treacherous mountain passes through griffon territory and overcome cunning harpy ambushes. At the peaks of the mighty Stormhorns, overcome an alliance of giants and monstrous creatures – only to have to contend with a terrible Netherese secret weapon.
    • Introducing Iconic Heroes -- Jump into the action of DDO with these new prestige characters that start in Forgotten Realms at level 15 and feature unique looks and skills. Each of these classic D&D heroes is a paragon of their race and class and features custom iconic gear, appearance options and new abilities to enhance their power.
    • Attain Epic level to 28 -- Master your destiny and gain new epic feats and spells with three new Epic levels of advancement that let you reach new levels of power.
    Griffons? Yay! MOAR MONSTERZ!

Morgulion • Romenion • Valmyrion • Vanielle • Zandrine • Zeldaryne • Zinnuviel

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Not a fan of another level cap increase.
    Did you really think they would keep it at 25? Or is it that the other cap increases took a long time (years) in between?

Personally I expect them to go to level 40 not in a year or anything, but as an eventual D&D fitting (AD&D) max...

Level cap increases in MMOs almost always effectively delete all the old content.
    Not really, most people are average skill, by definition. Enough so that not gearing every few levels means they have a harder time leveling... if you're running about with ML7 stuff at 16th level chances are you're either pretty good and blazing through content anyway, or you're dinging a lot, and you start looking for gear to bridge the gap...

Reaver is a level 14 raid, gets run all the time. Nothing in their is uber, but a lot of t is useful to bridge the gap. Granted the latest update probably changes this dynamic. but this is just one example.

Personally I'm using "bridge" equipment on almost every toon. Also you have a lot of people with characters that want X item because that's the ideal item for the specific build. For example Madstone Boots, or Epic Midnight's Greetings on an Assasin... Bloodstones still sell for 300k. There's plenty of gear that is usefull if you're not on a cookie cutter build that has it's gear load out all set in stone or very little variation. And plenty that simply doesn't have a "end game" named uber item the makes it obsolete.

My FvS AA is after Abbot seals to upgrade her Quiver (30% striding and a freed up boots slot is more important to this build than extra Bow damage from the new Poison quiver, because the bow is just there to fill in the gaps between 300-500 damage light SLA's) She wears Burning Embers, because it's hard to get Arcane lore when you're holding a bow in both hands, and her Armor is better than Blue Scale (though she will probably graduate to Flawless blue, freeing up her neck spot from Embers), that all takes time and raid repetitions, and some of us don't like to suck while we wait for a specific piece of gear that "completes" the build, so we EVOLVE our gear towards the goal. Some of us (I would argue most) aren't skilled enough to raid using ML9 AH gear when running some decent quests for XP can also give us some decent loot to bridge the gap.

I've got gear on every single toon, that has lasted longer than I ever thought, becvause it was either more useful than "min maxing" would make it seem to be, or it is taking so long to get it's "ideal" replacement item.

Anyway IMO there's plenty of room for gear that is not end game, and phrases like "effectively delete all the old content" are only true for strictly end game focused players who do builds that only use the most uber items, and somehow manage to get those uber items while naked

EVE has not had a paid expansion in ten years.
    ?

Unless 2011 is 10 years ago? It has expansions...and Eve is SUBSCRIPTION only... but i get what you are saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c1sm View Post
    From the MMORPG.COM article:

Griffons? Yay! MOAR MONSTERZ!
    Invisible stalkers? Roc's, Chimera's?

Iconic Heroes, Elminster

You have followed the footsteps of Elminster, granting you special iconic skills.
    Class level : 15 wizard or 15 sorcerer

Special Abbilities :
    Stand with the Pike : every 10 seconds standing still grants you +2 to all ability scores and spell penetration checks as well as spell DC's.This abbility stacks up to 50 times.Moving, jumping,casting a spell,switching gear,talking in chat, browsing your guild or friends list, or any action that requires movement of mouse or pressing a key causes you to lose all stacks.

Annoying way of talking : You've mastered the strange and annoying Elminster way of talking.Any form of greeting you say is replaced by 'Yark!' and any attempt to adress someone is replaced by 'Ye'.

Master of Piking, Requires lv 20.
    You've mastered the abbility of standing there doing nothing.As long as you have a /AFK message active, you are invulnerable to all forms of damage.This does not work if you typed a /afk message.

Discuss.
    Give every person a gun and the richest man is the one that sells crutches

Epic True Reincarnation would also introduce a new completionist track. What would two more stat points do to your TR character?
    This is...

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Invisible stalkers? Roc's, Chimera's?
    Goblins? Manticore? Displacer beast?
    Last edited by Phemt81; 02-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by rdasca View Post
    but please for the love of Lolth do not ever make lore NPCs playable
    think it is exactly this actually...

official turbine drizzts builds for everyone! unique ability? only ranger with a animal companion

Raising cap to 28... that will make it harder on lower level epic players to get groups due to quest/level discrepancies. Higher level people will not want to run that and if they drag 20s into 28 content then it will be farmed out. Disappointing.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Raising cap to 28... that will make it harder on lower level epic players to get groups due to quest/level discrepancies. Higher level people will not want to run that and if they drag 20s into 28 content then it will be farmed out. Disappointing.
    It will no more do this than 25 does it to 20 level quests. There will always be "loot runs".

Community Member

Want to make it easier on people build in a character builder into the UI when you log in.
    Guys can log in. Build their character from the creation screen and when they level it will auto assign their skills and enhancements based upon what they chose.

People can upload templates and people can choose certain templates to apply to their characters.

or some such idea.. still fleshing it out..
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Yes the PUG scene may suffer in the new scenario, maybe lessen the xp malus for epic quests would be a solution?
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

A few replies have touched on the 'start at level 15' feature of Iconic characters and I think a little more info will be helpful at this time.

We recognise that some players can build a specific character more to their liking than some of the options in the character generator, there are so many race/class options that they are not equal in specificity or power across all levels.
    Moreover, DDO is a superior MMO* when it comes to character creation and we will not be taking that option away from you... 'you' being, you daring number crunching heroes off the paved path.

* veiws expressed here are my own.
    Ah...thanks for clearing that up. So start at 4, 7 or 15... build your character as you see it...OR, use a pre-made Turbine Character template.

Thumbs down LV 15 starting

While I love the idea of making a charecter from the Forgotten realms, i'm not a fan of starting them out at level 15. That's skipping a lot of low-level content, which is a big, meaty chunk of the game. Vetren Status II already does that.
    • Zig Zag to avoid arrows, Fireballs, Fireball-tipped arrow, and arrow-tipped Fireballs.
    • That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    • Kobold still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix888 View Post
    Let's say I have TR'ed multiple times in the past to get the completionist feat. Let's also say that I've Tr'ed into most classes 3 times each to get maximum advantage of the passive past life feats.
    With the introduction of this new Epic TR will I have to do this unimaginably long and tedious road again?!!?
    By all that is holy and just please please please let the answer to this question be NO.
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to. And how is unimaginably? You did it, so I'm sure you can imagine it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    woah! This sounds awesome. I really enjoyed MotU so this sounds great.

Level 28 makes me whimper a bit... but hey.... this means more fate points right?
    Yeah, I'm excited too... I'm not so sure level 28 is a good idea, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Lots of amazing stuff PG

we’ll be overhauling our bug reporting tool with updated functionality to help us capture even more of your problem details and feedback, and process them more efficiently.
    Honestly this is really cool..some people won't think so but I'm always for QoL improvements and DDO could use them (ie. I can't wait for the various cosmetic syustem updates FoS said he's working on)

, “that sounds really good… but I was sort of thinking of the rumors of an updated character enhancements system.” And I also have great news to share on that!

Work on the new enhancement system is well underway and it will be heading to its first public beta this spring. In its current iteration, each class has at least two prestige class paths. The UI, similar to the Epic Destiny tree, will be a long awaited simplification to planning your character build, but more importantly, the goal is to make better choices more accessible for both new and advanced players in the heroic levels. We are planning an extended beta for this one. We’ll be doing multiple trips to Lamannia and lots of player events to give us all an opportunity to try it on various characters and gather lots of feedback.
    Greatly looking forward to this...hoping its early spring (see next month) as opposed to late spring (see late june) the fact that its "similar to epic destinies" worries me your still going with the 3 Tab system but I won't say anything more until I see it

Another area where you will see several changes is in the introduction of more uses for Astral Diamond shards throughout our game. Volume 3 of the monster manual, which is now available as of Update 17, not only offers a chance to earn your own beholder pet, we also now let you earn direct-to-pocket Astral Shards. In the near future we will add more ways for you to earn free shards as well as some compelling new ways to use them to enhance your DDO gaming experience.
    *drool* Beholder Pet *drool* when, where, how...earning Astral sounds osun ds cool assuming its not another offer wall...hoping its a cool way to incentivise stuff like Ron's Character Planner or w/e

As I have always said, one of the strengths of DDO is great adventures to undertake and that is why I am most pleased to announce DDO’s second expansion titled ‘Shadowfell Conspiracy’ coming this summer! We are turning our attention back to the Forgotten Realms and we are taking you to some new regions in Cormyr. We will be taking brave heroes, level 15 and up, to a foreboding prison city to the south east of Eveningstar called Wheloon, and high up into the Stormhorn Mountains, north of the high road.
    Bleh more FR stuff...sorry I hate this setting Ebberon is so much better but I'm sure others will love it.

raising the level cap to 28
    Awesome news...but it seems I'll never hit level cap lol stupid altitis

and providing something often requested by fans: faster access to the Forgotten Realms!
    Much appreciated

With a new prestige character feature we are calling Iconic Heroes; we think we have an innovative solution that will get you right into the Forgotten Realms starting at level 15. Each of these Forgotten Realms born characters will start as a race class combination with new racial abilities. I can’t wait to tell you more about these characters in the coming months.
    I may be reading this wrong but my guess is that you get to be a character built like iconic FR heroes...Cattibrie, Drizzt,etc. bring on the bastardized dwizits again. Also yeah not a fan of FR so I'm a bit biased.

Later in the year we have some other great stories planned and we plan to focus our attention on the True Reincarnation options and update the system to work for Epic level players. Epic True Reincarnation would also introduce a new completionist track. What would two more stat points do to your TR character? Well, stay tuned this summer for an update on our development progress!
    Not much info here but looking forward to w/e your doing

I have seen the first rendition of the owlbear monster and I can assure everyone this thing will go from mysteriously acquired pelt to fully animated encounter before long.
    Woot Owlbear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    Where is 'enough money'?
    20/month? 50? 100? 200?
    That's the beauty of how these games work, you determine how much the game is worth to you, and you pay that, if the expansion is not worth it to you you don't buy it, simple.

Somewhere in their they either make enough money to keep the servers going , and pay the 80,000 a year average industry salary to each of their employees, the tens of thousands in leasing costs per month for workspace, and the tens of thousands in hardware purchases for the development enviroment, the who knows how much for the server farm and hosting, with enough profit to keep the suits from shutting it down... Or the free loaders and "I wont support them on principle, but I will keep playing the game" outnumber the paying players and the game fold up.

It's really amazing how few MMO players seem to grasp that Turbine provides Jobs, and has huge costs it must pay for... I think sometimes people think Games are made by magical game gnomes or maybe games are what Santa's elfs do during the slow summer months?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    Okay.. I'm ready for the backlash from those who believe that it is the customer's duty, nay imperative, to find and report bugs. Go!
    Kinda like saying you're ready for the backlash from those who don't expect the sun to come up purple polka dotted, because you keep expecting that to happen....
    bah never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Musashiclaw View Post
    Want to make it easier on people build in a character builder into the UI when you log in.
    Guys can log in. Build their character from the creation screen and when they level it will auto assign their skills and enhancements based upon what they chose.

People can upload templates and people can choose certain templates to apply to their characters.

or some such idea.. still fleshing it out..
    the only problem with that is if you have a new player (by that i mean literal fresh meat) and you let them choose all there base stats, then when they get that done they may start selecting feats, increasing unnecessary stats, spending AP on stuff that they don't need, and even putting points into the wrong skills.

though they do that already..... they won't be able to fix their build if they mess up. on top of that you will have people that upload completely terrible and unplayable builds with that system.
    tepidus flamma of amicitia mos usquequaque persevero ustulo in nostrum pectus pectoris pro totus infinitio

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast