Default U17 prerequirements for Arcane Archer?

Hey guys, now that U17 lets a character take magical training as a feat, does anyone know what the deal is with Arcane Archer?

Have the prerequirements been lifted at all? Is it possible to take AA with enhancements without having any levels in a spellcasting class?

Tossing around a build in my head, but have no way to check this.
    Thanks!

You will need magical training if you don't have any SP to begin with.

Then you will need either mental toughness or the past life sorc feat as a prerequisite for arcane archer. The problem is you can't take mental toughness without having "the ability to cast spells" so that leaves past life sorc as an option.

I have tried taking mental toughness and it doesn't work without multi classing into something that can cast spells. I haven't tried the past life sorc option since I don't have a sorc willing to TR.

It would be interesting to know if past life sorc works, and if the fighter capstone applies correctly to ranged attack speed

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Magical Training has no bearing on the AA pre-reqs; you still need "one of Bard Energy of Music I, Elven Arcanum I, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I, Wizard Energy of the Scholar I, Mental Toughness, Past Life: Arcane Prodigy." I suspect making Magical Training a trainable feat is to give bards, pallies, and rgrs access to Echoes of Power w/out splashing a caster class which gets it free.

I've read that now that you can get SPs from items even w/out spellcasting ability, sorc PL will meet AA pre-req and you can do, e.g., pure ftr Kensei AA now w/out caster splash. However, I've never TRed a sorc to test that, so caveat emptor.

i have made an AA without splashing sorc or wizard or ranger.
    you only need ONE OF, so having mental toughness enables the enhancements.

bear in mind tho, that you still need to be either a ranger or an elf too.

Requires One of: Bard Energy of the Music I, Elven Arcanum I, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I , Wizard Energy of the Scholar I, Artificer Energy of Creation I, Mental Toughness, Past Life: Arcane Prodigy

Requires All of: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus: Ranged, +6 Base Attack Bonus

Available to Ranger level 6 / Available to Elf level 8 / Available to Half-Elf level 8

Quote Originally Posted by brolios View Post
    i have made an AA without splashing sorc or wizard or ranger.
    you only need ONE OF, so having mental toughness enables the enhancements.
    So, you took a different casting class instead?

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne_7402 View Post
    So, you took a different casting class instead?
    no casting class.
    you can make a pure fighter AA if you chose an elf race (elf or half elf)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moriedhel View Post
    You will need magical training if you don't have any SP to begin with.

Then you will need either mental toughness or the past life sorc feat as a prerequisite for arcane archer. The problem is you can't take mental toughness without having "the ability to cast spells" so that leaves past life sorc as an option.

I have tried taking mental toughness and it doesn't work without multi classing into something that can cast spells. I haven't tried the past life sorc option since I don't have a sorc willing to TR.

It would be interesting to know if past life sorc works, and if the fighter capstone applies correctly to ranged attack speed
    Yes, the sorcerer PL works. I'm right now lvling a 12 fighter/6 monk/2 ranger helf kensei AA ninja (2 ranger is normally not enough, but I took it for the free feats). The build has lots of feats, 10k stars/incorp, and all the benefits of kensei II while having scroll heals with cleric dillie. Even it's melee with handwraps is while lvling viable, yes I like the build alot :-)
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda