Default Ransack is getting me down

I'm not sure what to suggest, though I have some ideas that are so-so. Point is, the Ransack mechanic is starting to get me down and I'd love to see a better way.

Here's my issue: I'm running EH Lost in the Swamp, looking for WhisperChain. I'm also farming EE DQ1 side chests looking for tomes. Now, the ransack counter and timer occurs as soon as the chest is opened, so of course I'm going to Loot it. But if there is nothing but rocks in the chests, that counter and timer were all for nothing. So not only am I grinding (which is annoying but completely understandable), but I'm limited to how much I can grind during any given period of time. Ideally, I'd like it if the timer and counter didn't proc unless a) there is a named item b) there is a tome, shard or seal or c) I loot anything from the chest. That way, I could pop the chest and if there was nothing in there of value besides random loot, gems, plat, or renown, I could choose not to loot it, and thereby not suffer a ransack counter/timer for that run.

Right off the bat I can see some problems with that, particularly when not running solo. But perhaps some of the smarter folks round here can figure out a good compromise.

With the current state of the game, I think the Ransack mechanic could use updating. Even if at a minimum, it was boosted to 15 pops instead of 7. But I'd prefer something along the lines of what I was thinking above...

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Given the general trend towards making it easier and easier to get loot in the game, I'm honestly at a loss as to why te ransack mechanic still exists. It seems to exists primarily to keep certain items rare and off the AH. Well, given how many of the offending items are BtC these days, that dubious need is now obsolete.

Been thinking about it more. On the one hand you'd want to prevent dualboxers from bypassing the ransack by passing items in chest, then trading them back after. But on the other you don't want to promote leaving items to rot in chest because the player doesn't want the item and doesn't want a ransack counter...
    Here's my new thought. Up the count to 15, and reduce the timer to 5 days. Continue to apply the counter as soon as the chest opens, but apply 1 point for a 'plain' chest, and 2 points for a chest containing a named item, shard, seal, augment, or tome. Effectively this retains the 7 count, but only when you get something good, while it halves the ransack effect when you get rocks.
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

As much as I hate myself for suggesting this...

I've thought for a while now that Loot Gems purchased from the Store should suspend ransack, or at the very least reset ransack timers. I think it'd boost sales for them even more, and would be a nice feature for them to have.

I have to shower now. I feel dirty, and not in a fun way.
    Last edited by Memnir; 02-26-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: An E! An E! My typo for an E!

I'd support that. One of the reason i'm feeling jipped right now is that I DID by jewels, and seeing them go to waste on chests full of rocks, while suffering ransack, is a major bummer.

I still can't decide if the jewels are placebos or not. :P

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I still can't decide if the jewels are placebos or not. :P
    As far as I can tell, no. They're not placebos. Placebos have no effect, good or bad. They're basically sugar pills instead of real pills.

Loot jewels are more like giving sugar pills to a diabetic in a study...

As for ransack... no real suggestions. However, even if not looting didn't add to the timer, *passing* something should. That way, you don't have the worry about people dual-boxing or bringing people in to pass to and not worry about ransack, etc. If you pass it, you intend for it to be looted, just by someone else, so the counter ticks.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    As far as I can tell, no. They're not placebos. Placebos have no effect, good or bad. They're basically sugar pills instead of real pills.

Loot jewels are more like giving sugar pills to a diabetic in a study...

As for ransack... no real suggestions. However, even if not looting didn't add to the timer, *passing* something should. That way, you don't have the worry about people dual-boxing or bringing people in to pass to and not worry about ransack, etc. If you pass it, you intend for it to be looted, just by someone else, so the counter ticks.
    Yes, but that's a problem too. If someone gets a named item he doesn't need in his name, he'll let it rot in the chest to avoid ransack, rather than put it up for roll and pass it to someone in party who needs it. And, when someone is at ransack, he can simply get a fresh dualbox to open chests to pass to his ransacked self. Just too easy to abuse.

OurDDO
    Flower Sniffer Extraordinaire
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'd +1 you, but I need to spread more rep around first.

I don't often farm for a particular item, but I've done it enough to know how frustrating it is to end up with an empty chest after getting absolutely nothing I wanted the first bazillion tries. Grinding means you're spending time playing the game, quite possibly buying loot gems, maybe even Gold Seal hires for locked chests, stuff like that. So what does Turbine do to encourage people to play the game more and spend money in the DDO store? ... yeah, they punish them with ransack.

When I found out the "easy" chest in Deal and the Demon was about to disappear (well, be moved to the end and require a pretty big fight), I ransacked it on FOUR different toons on Thelanis hoping for at least one or two Planar Focuses (Foci for the grammar police). You'd think, in all those runs, even if I didn't pull what I was looking for, I'd have gotten a caparison or a Terrorweb breastplate - nope. Nada. Zilch. That was a LOT of time invested, a couple of loot gems which, to be fair, were from Monster Manual stuff, and I ended up with assorted mostly useless lootgen. NOT a happy camper.
    ~* Even's DDO blog | Players Helping Players | OurDDO main site | OurDDO RSS feed *~

Getting lost, lagging behind, and wiping parties since 2010.

Thelanis:
    Evennote
    | Acanthia | Jalliria | Victaurya
    Discordette | Merenwynne | Chalei | Seregeth
    Rivalel | Thangerie | Winnabette | Chartreusia
    Cannith: Tirae

ransack is meant to keep balance with players and for economy. in the games present state with being able to buy items from the store to boost loot, bypass timers, items to boost character power, etc, and be able to throw BTA/CoE on the AH or trade, i see no point in ransack anymore. balance is pretty much non existant these days so might as well just ease up on the timer or the number of chest openings.

Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    When I found out the "easy" chest in Deal and the Demon was about to disappear (well, be moved to the end and require a pretty big fight), I ransacked it on FOUR different toons on Thelanis hoping for at least one or two Planar Focuses (Foci for the grammar police).
    Planar focuses drop in end chest only, also loot gems have no effect on named items, just saying
    If you don't wanna pay for one on AH, best bet is just run all three quests for chain reward ? Might take a while to get the particular one you need but "some" focus is there often.
    At least on Ghallanda there are caparisons and terrorwebs for 50k on AH or even in Eveningstar brokers inventories.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I think that when you first meet Jeets on the beach, he should just offer to give you any item in the game.

Seems that would make a whole lot of players very happy.

(or they could just sell every named item in the DDO store.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    I think that when you first meet Jeets on the beach, he should just offer to give you any item in the game.

Seems that would make a whole lot of players very happy.

(or they could just sell every named item in the DDO store.)
    How do you get ^that from what we're talking about?