Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    119

    Default There is nothing required by Astral Shards so what is the big deal

    Nothing you need in the game is required by astral shards. You can play the game beat quests and never use astral shards. In that sense, plat is far more important. You need plat to buy components, guild slots, heal and recon scrolls. I earn and spend plat far in excess of 200k a month. I am fairly sure I can do all my quests without a single shard.

    So why care so much about shards, the daily roll and what not. Just play and have fun.

  2. #2
    The Hatchery Cernunan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    You know, there
    Posts
    560

    Default

    In game amenities would not be the point of the astral shard currency. Astral shards will be used for the acquisition of top tier equipment. Expect to see anything sellable by players of any value to be moved from the plat AH to the ASAH.
    The major reason being plat has a cap on the AH. You can conceivably get a much higher amount in astral shards.
    This means that people who could never afford to pay AH prices (i.e. new players with limited access to in game funds) can spend real life money to purchase ASAH items, in amounts only limited by how much real money they wish in invest for an item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

  3. #3
    Founder GeneFrenkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    In game amenities would not be the point of the astral shard currency. Astral shards will be used for the acquisition of top tier equipment. Expect to see anything sellable by players of any value to be moved from the plat AH to the ASAH.
    The major reason being plat has a cap on the AH. You can conceivably get a much higher amount in astral shards.
    This means that people who could never afford to pay AH prices (i.e. new players with limited access to in game funds) can spend real life money to purchase ASAH items, in amounts only limited by how much real money they wish in invest for an item.
    If the going rate of an item exceeds the max limit on the AH then no one will bother posting it there anyway. They can post it on the ASAH if desired. Frankly I had no interest in such items, and I still don't.

    I'm not the kind of person who spends a great deal of time buying and selling items in the game to aquire wealth. That might appeal to some people but not to me. I'm more interested in playing the game, running quests and finding stuff on my own. I don't get the same satisfaction from buying an item as I do from running quests and finding stuff in random loot.

    For me personally I don't really care what's on the AH or where it gets auctioned. I have no interest in AS, and I won't even open that tap in the AH. I will continue to play using only the original AH on occasion for small ticket items here and there.

    Other than that I couldn't care less.
    "And if Bruce Dikinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!"

  4. #4
    Community Member silence383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Default

    You can get astral diamods in epic DA. They sit in the bank and you need too many if your in a guild that has few members. At least those are useful now lol. Other than that it's all preference if people do not like it they wont use it. There is still trade I won't dig on anyone who uses it, I will if need be. Will I buy shards ..not on your life lol.

    As for the daily roll..its a daily freebie ..That I do not understand the hate. Something you didn't have before. Just my thoughts

    Just fix the bound to character things. Do not roll on a toon you do not need anything high end on (slayer/xp/guild boosts )
    Last edited by silence383; 03-24-2013 at 03:00 AM.

  5. #5
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    To most people it's really no big deal, because they play the game as a diversion and don't get too caught up in it. Most people won't care enough to spend extra money just to have an item with a few better stats on it.

    However, to "purists" and "powergamers" it can completely change the playing field, since money can equal time as a commodity to acquire equipment. Since a certain segment of powergamers aren't just about being the best they can be but are also about being better than everyone else, they see this as unfair. Because to them they will have to worry that someone will de-value their achievements by buying with money what they themselves "bought" with time, in-game connections and game "savvy".

    So to some it breaks the "integrity" and "fairness" of the game.

    There must be more people that don't care or will actually avail themselves of this new system than people who will rage against it or Turbine wouldn't put it in. So you'll be hearing a lot about "easy buttons" and how once DDO was all "hardcore" but now it's "Hello Kitty" or whatever other disparaging remark those who don't like it will bandy about.

    When it all boils down, I don't like some aspects of it myself. I think Turbine is intentionally targetting the people who are overly obsessive about games. But then I think, who cares. Those people need to learn some self-control anyway. If they're going to blow hundreds or thousands on imaginary items that's fine with me because it just might keep the game going. And the game's finally interesting enough to play again, so I want to see where it goes from here.

  6. #6
    Community Member silence383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    To most people it's really no big deal, because they play the game as a diversion and don't get too caught up in it. Most people won't care enough to spend extra money just to have an item with a few better stats on it.

    However, to "purists" and "powergamers" it can completely change the playing field, since money can equal time as a commodity to acquire equipment. Since a certain segment of powergamers aren't just about being the best they can be but are also about being better than everyone else, they see this as unfair. Because to them they will have to worry that someone will de-value their achievements by buying with money what they themselves "bought" with time, in-game connections and game "savvy".

    So to some it breaks the "integrity" and "fairness" of the game.

    There must be more people that don't care or will actually avail themselves of this new system than people who will rage against it or Turbine wouldn't put it in. So you'll be hearing a lot about "easy buttons" and how once DDO was all "hardcore" but now it's "Hello Kitty" or whatever other disparaging remark those who don't like it will bandy about.

    When it all boils down, I don't like some aspects of it myself. I think Turbine is intentionally targetting the people who are overly obsessive about games. But then I think, who cares. Those people need to learn some self-control anyway. If they're going to blow hundreds or thousands on imaginary items that's fine with me because it just might keep the game going. And the game's finally interesting enough to play again, so I want to see where it goes from here.

    Agreed it breaks the integrity of THIER game ..to each thier own I do not care if anyone pays to win cause I know I earned mine Guess thats the difference for some folks. Then again people that do not have the time to play I get..so it is catch 22.

  7. #7
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    For a real life analogy think of in game plat as paper money, and astral shards as gold. You won't lay down an ingot to buy a loaf of bread or to fill up your car, but gold seems to represent a more stable form of wealth. I'm sure they will come up with more things you can use the astral shards on, things which otherwise might require tp to purchase. That should give the astral shards a bit more value outside of just being used to trade things.

  8. #8
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    I'm not up in arms about the whole Shard thing. I can ignore them, so I do.


    What I am worried about is the precedent they quite possibly are setting, and the threshold we have now crossed with their inclusion. Right now they are reasonably harmless. But then again, at one point we were told point-blank that we'd never have more then +2 Tomes in the Store. Tomes made money, benchmarks were moved, and promises were rescinded.

    I'm worried that the Shards are the start of an escalation, and we may get to the point were ignoring them is no longer a realistic option.
    53723

  9. #9
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silence383 View Post
    Agreed it breaks the integrity of THIER game ..to each thier own I do not care if anyone pays to win cause I know I earned mine Guess thats the difference for some folks. Then again people that do not have the time to play I get..so it is catch 22.
    Yeah, I get people that don't have time to play much. But the casual ones I've ever known also don't care that much. They'll put in a few bucks here and there because they like the diversion they get, but they're not going to be buying AS in bulk to buy itmes they really don't need, because they don't feel an obsessive need to get ahead as fast as possible.

    And then there are some who are powergamers, but don't have much time anymore and still want the equipment because they want to play at the highest levels with their friends and don't want to be a burden, however they're also usually in guilds with like-minded individuals who will pick stuff up and store it for them, since it's mostly BtCoE nowadays. That's what I do, I check with everyone first if I get something I don't want, just in case someone needs it. Only when I know no one needs it do I consider selling it. So powergamers who are time-pressed are also not hurt by the new system, so long as they've cultivated the friendship and comraderie in-game with a Guild and friends, there's always someone who pulls stuff that they can get.

    So really, the ones crying "foul" the most are going to be the ones who aren't woried about how easy or hard it is for themselves to get something, but rather those who care how easy or hard it is for others to get something. It's just not going to seem fair.

    But like you say, it ruins "their" game. It doesn't necessarily have to ruin "our" game, or even "the" game. The only thing I "worry" about is that Turbine will develop content that "requires" us to buy loot because they'll make it too hard to get. I haven't seen that happen. Nor any evidence of that happening. But people like to have things to fear, so that's a good one to fear I suppose . It does happen in other games. I don't know if it'll happen here. I like to stay optomistic. But if I see it happening, I'll take my business elsewhere. I got my money's worth already. I'll voice my objection and move on if it ever happens. So far I don't see it.

  10. #10
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'm not up in arms about the whole Shard thing. I can ignore them, so I do.


    What I am worried about is the precedent they quite possibly are setting, and the threshold we have now crossed with their inclusion. Right now they are reasonably harmless. But then again, at one point we were told point-blank that we'd never have more then +2 Tomes in the Store. Tomes made money, benchmarks were moved, and promises were rescinded.

    I'm worried that the Shards are the start of an escalation, and we may get to the point were ignoring them is no longer a realistic option.
    That's a rather ambiguous fear. What form of escalation are you envisioning? That they will be required to get loot? Such as insert Astral Shards into the chests to unlock them or something? Sort of like Daily Dice but at the end chest?

    I'm largely ignoring them, but if I want them I can get them. Since they can be bought with TP they can be "grinded" for during favor, if someone so desires.

    If it gets to the point of the real "Pay-to-Win", such as the jokes I made above, then sure it'll make a mockery of the game. But then I considered TRing to be a mockery of the game. I can't see how the game could get more stagnant then getting to end-game and then starting all over again and again and again.

    But to each their own. Perhaps the game will just move past us. Who knows.

  11. #11
    Community Member Marmaduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Shards serve as an increased currency cap. So, we will see fewer and fewer good items on the normal AH and more on the shard exchange. And platinum will plummet in value. If you think this has been the case prior to u17.1, you haven't seen anything yet.

    Case in point: there was a +3str prowess trinket for sale on AH earlier at 1.8mill plat. An hour later, it turned up on the shard exchange for 800 astrals (starting bid), comparable to ~5million plat in current conversions or $45...

    Anyone apologizing and turning a blind eye to the long term effects of all this is either ignorant or playing dumb to take advantage of it as long as possible while prices are in flux.

  12. #12
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Shards serve as an increased currency cap. So, we will see fewer and fewer good items on the normal AH and more on the shard exchange. And platinum will plummet in value. If you think this has been the case prior to u17.1, you haven't seen anything yet.

    Case in point: there was a +3str prowess trinket for sale on AH earlier at 1.8mill plat. An hour later, it turned up on the shard exchange for 800 astrals (starting bid), comparable to ~5million plat in current conversions or $45...

    Anyone apologizing and turning a blind eye to the long term effects of all this is either ignorant or playing dumb to take advantage of it as long as possible while prices are in flux.
    Or just don't really care about the AH at all. Some play the quests, not the markets.

    Sorry it's messing up your economy though. I'm sure you'll figure a way around it.

  13. #13
    Community Member Marmaduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177

    Default

    It's not *my* economy, it's everyone's economy. If you already have people purposely moving good items from the plat AH to the astral exchange, then in a year's time the only thing plat will be good for is buying scrolls and potions. because it won't be able to buy you anything else.

  14. #14
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    It's not *my* economy, it's everyone's economy. If you already have people purposely moving good items from the plat AH to the astral exchange, then in a year's time the only thing plat will be good for is buying scrolls and potions. because it won't be able to buy you anything else.
    Yep, your economy is changing. By you, I mean the people who use the AH intensely. You can still quest though, so you can still get the items. Then you can put them in the ASAH or the regular AH, whichever you prefer. So you can be part of the economy again. Someone, somewhere will have to buy AS or grind TP for it or even grind a whole lot of plat since it'll be so devalued. Others will still get items by playing through quests. Some will sell, some won't.

    And others will just play the game and not really worry that much about either AH. Most of what I use plat for is scrolls and potions. The really good stuff I usually trade for or it gets passed around in guild or between guilds.

    I can understand how upsetting it must be though, for people who liked to use the Plat AH alot. I've used it a few times over the years. I guess I'll be SOL according to people like you.

    I get that most people don't like the steep amount that Turbine will take as their cut, though. That does look rather excessive.

  15. #15
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    New players can only acquire top tier gear with astral shards IF someone puts it on the ASAH. MOst of the casuals wont be getting extra sets of top tier gear, so the ones putting the things in the ASAH will most likely be powergamers. Who are also the ones most concerned (Not saying that it will be the same persons, though).

    Besides, its only the ones that think there is some sort of glory to be gained by having the best gear and all that, that will get hurt by it. Because that means the prestige they have worked hard for will be eroded. Unfortunately, since that prestige exists only in their minds, it WILL hurt them.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  16. #16
    Community Member Dhalgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    423

    Default

    It's not necessarily germane to the discussion, but it is to the original post: some things in the game do in fact require astral shards. (Whether or not these are things you actually need is left as an exercise for the reader.)

    Stormglory Bolt: 1000 AS or 600 AS upgrade from Windspyre Sparrow
    Stormglory Tempest: 1650 AS upgrade from Stormglory Bolt or 1000 AS upgrade from Windspyre Falcon
    Stormglory Typhoon: 3850 AS upgrade from Stormglory Tempest or 2000 AS from Windspyre Gryphon

    As far as I know, there is no other way to acquire these ships.
    Heatherx (Completionist--honest, no stones)
    Toryen Warchanter 24 ~ Treslyn Cleric 26 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 24 ~ Khenshii Monk 28

    Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

  17. #17
    Community Member Todesnymphe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Personally, I don't if and how much anyone spends on the ASAH to buy the "best" equipment instead of farming them.
    Likewise, I don't care if anyone uses XP pots or stones to get faster to end game content.
    Everyone has the right to decide how to play the game (and that includes the decision not to play certain, or most, quests).

    However, in the long run it -may- become a problem if certain items or minimum stats are required to play high lvl quests even on EN. But I think we're still a couple steps away from that.

  18. #18
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    It's not *my* economy, it's everyone's economy. If you already have people purposely moving good items from the plat AH to the astral exchange, then in a year's time the only thing plat will be good for is buying scrolls and potions. because it won't be able to buy you anything else.
    If i want a piece of gear, i wont wait for it to pop up on the AH, ill go get it myself. And if i cant get it, i wont.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  19. #19
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'm not up in arms about the whole Shard thing. I can ignore them, so I do.


    What I am worried about is the precedent they quite possibly are setting, and the threshold we have now crossed with their inclusion. Right now they are reasonably harmless. But then again, at one point we were told point-blank that we'd never have more then +2 Tomes in the Store. Tomes made money, benchmarks were moved, and promises were rescinded.

    I'm worried that the Shards are the start of an escalation, and we may get to the point were ignoring them is no longer a realistic option.
    totally agree. if it gets to the point that I can only find items that I want on the ASAH, I cant sell anything on the AH or that AS become the new major currency as I don't support what the ASAH stands for and with AS being still rare ill have to choose to stick with the trend or be done with it. with maybe a dozen AD ive looted since they were introduced and now 3 AS, 1 from DD and 2 from MM, it doesn't look good for my future with DDO.

  20. #20
    Community Member Loriac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Shards serve as an increased currency cap. So, we will see fewer and fewer good items on the normal AH and more on the shard exchange. And platinum will plummet in value. If you think this has been the case prior to u17.1, you haven't seen anything yet.

    Case in point: there was a +3str prowess trinket for sale on AH earlier at 1.8mill plat. An hour later, it turned up on the shard exchange for 800 astrals (starting bid), comparable to ~5million plat in current conversions or $45...

    Anyone apologizing and turning a blind eye to the long term effects of all this is either ignorant or playing dumb to take advantage of it as long as possible while prices are in flux.
    It is completely irrelevant what an item is listed for on the ASAH; what matters is whether it sells at that price or not. Because the mechanics don't allow potential buyers to communicate what they're willing to pay directly, people use the seller's price as a proxy for demand. This is probably ok on the normal AH (though even here you can see some real howlers with sellers completely mispricing their items) but the ASAH simply doesn't have enough maturity to set any store by the prices listed.

    If anyone is willing to pay 800 shards for a prowess trinket, I have a nice bridge to sell (pm me if interested)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload