Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default Augment Crystals. What stacks?

    I'm still trying to figure out this new augment system. I ran Sorrowdusk with my monk and got the Robe at the end that adds + 25% run speed and + 10% melee attack speed. It also has a blue augment slot, which I have not used yet (I haven't used ANY of the new augments yet).

    I read on the wiki that one of the options for blue is a + hp item? Do those additional hp "stack" with "Tough" and "False Life" hp? If they don't then I obviously won't go that route. Likewise I assume that things like + Resistance crystals do not stack with my + Resistance cloak, for example?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Hero AZgreentea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Swamp
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    The augments are considered an enhancement bonus. So, for example, if you have two items granting false life, they would not stack because they are both enhancements.

    I have been thinking of the augments as a way to slot the normal item bonuses (like false life) the way I want to on an item that is close, instead of trying to make or loot exactly the right item.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

  3. #3
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out this new augment system. I ran Sorrowdusk with my monk and got the Robe at the end that adds + 25% run speed and + 10% melee attack speed. It also has a blue augment slot, which I have not used yet (I haven't used ANY of the new augments yet).

    I read on the wiki that one of the options for blue is a + hp item? Do those additional hp "stack" with "Tough" and "False Life" hp? If they don't then I obviously won't go that route. Likewise I assume that things like + Resistance crystals do not stack with my + Resistance cloak, for example?

    Thanks for your help.
    The spell power augments are equipment bonus.

    Most of the other new augments are "enhancement bonus", which means False Life and the new HP items don't stack.

  4. #4

    Default

    Blue Slot = False Life.

    Yellow Slot = Power/Wizardry/Magi
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Well, this for an 11 (soon to be 12) monk. I figure I would wait till 12 since you get a better crystal.

    Would + Protection be of any use at all, or is AC a joke now?

  6. #6
    Community Member psykopeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hidden in a secret hold
    Posts
    995

    Default

    augment slots are for toons with low cannith crafting
    at heroic lvls cannith + guild slots are far better than random gen + augment slot(haven't found an interesting named + slot sorry)
    at epic lvls MAY be useful, only for the named versions
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

  7. #7
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Think of the augments as being just like the enchantments you would find on normal equipment. Augment of +30 hp = Greater False Life item, and so on. Their best use is gear consolidation.

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Well, this for an 11 (soon to be 12) monk. I figure I would wait till 12 since you get a better crystal.

    Would + Protection be of any use at all, or is AC a joke now?
    AC matter, but a small bonus matters less the higher your AC already is. For example, a +5 protection item makes very little difference in miss % chance to a 100 AC character, but makes a much bigger difference to someone with 25 AC. Getting to a high AC value usually means stacking as many bonuses as you can. You're never going to be able to make something that can only be hit on a 20, but AC works when you combine it with other defensive measures, like concealment, DR and PRR.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Think of the augments as being just like the enchantments you would find on normal equipment. Augment of +30 hp = Greater False Life item, and so on. Their best use is gear consolidation.



    AC matter, but a small bonus matters less the higher your AC already is. For example, a +5 protection item makes very little difference in miss % chance to a 100 AC character, but makes a much bigger difference to someone with 25 AC. Getting to a high AC value usually means stacking as many bonuses as you can. You're never going to be able to make something that can only be hit on a 20, but AC works when you combine it with other defensive measures, like concealment, DR and PRR.
    Thanks. Right now my monk is something like AC 35, so another 4 AC might actually help, especially since in Mountain stance it increases my AC by a set percentage. That might be the route I go with this one, at least to try it out.

  9. #9
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Something to think about, also, is PRR. It works on a similar diminishing returns system as AC (the higher it is, the less difference more makes). Monks have a harder time raising their PRR, since they can't wear armour, so the augment bonus is a great thing for them. However, since PRR is a percentage-based damage reduction, it isn't as valuable at low levels (10% of a 20-damage hit isn't great, but 10% of a 100-damage shot is) so consider switching your protection crystal for PRR once enemies start hitting harder. Like I said, it's all about finding a balance of defensive abilities now, rather than shooting for specific numbers.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default

    So is PRR different from the Damage Resistance that Earth Stance comes with?

    I'm assuming they are different, but I'm not certain how.

  11. #11
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Sorry, PRR= Physical Resistance Rating. It's shown on your character sheet in the bottom right, in the row of elemental resistances, mouseover it to see the % damage is reduced by.

    The Physical Resistance you get from Earth Stance (3/8/12/15 by tier) is PRR, but stacks with items/augments.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default

    I can't decide what is better, but it seems that the AC (from Protection + 4) would help the most at level 12. My AC right now is 36. Another 4 AC would take it to an even 40. Greater Mountain Stance at 12 will take that to 46. 8 PRR, on the other hand, seems to just reduce the damage from blows by about 5-6%.

    With this in mind, isn't it better to try and not get hit at all rather than slightly reduce the amount I take if I get hit? Greater Mountain Stance already comes with 12 PRR of its own anyway.

    But then again I could be totally wrong on this.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    west coast U.S.A
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    the one im curious about is red slots on weapons. For example I saw the new version of i believe it was the vulkoorim giant slaying dagger had a red and purple slot, so could take two red gems. COuld you do two of the same type of dmg? Say I wanted to put 2 ice in and make a serious fire giant gutter etc.
    anyone tried that yet?

  14. #14

    Default

    Two of the same damage augment sounds like something that won't work. I'd definitely pick something else; acid probably. No giants resist that.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    augment slots are for toons with low cannith crafting
    at heroic lvls cannith + guild slots are far better than random gen + augment slot(haven't found an interesting named + slot sorry)
    at epic lvls MAY be useful, only for the named versions
    So, what is wrong with Cannith+augment slot. Seems like having 3 stats on a crafted item would be better than having 2.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Two of the same damage augment sounds like something that won't work. I'd definitely pick something else; acid probably. No giants resist that.
    Agreed, but worth testing!

    Also agreed that acid is best for a giant-killer.

  17. #17
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I can't decide what is better, but it seems that the AC (from Protection + 4) would help the most at level 12. My AC right now is 36. Another 4 AC would take it to an even 40. Greater Mountain Stance at 12 will take that to 46. 8 PRR, on the other hand, seems to just reduce the damage from blows by about 5-6%.
    I personally would go the 8 PRR route. But the easy answer is to do some math.

    5-6% of what?

    And...

    36 AC miss chance vs. 40 AC miss chance = ? (I Would find an at level quest to calculate this. Not the slide over they provide.)

    Then you can effectively compare the two.

    With this in mind, isn't it better to try and not get hit at all rather than slightly reduce the amount I take if I get hit? Greater Mountain Stance already comes with 12 PRR of its own anyway.

    But then again I could be totally wrong on this.
    Your answer is above. Now you have to find the answer.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    So, what is wrong with Cannith+augment slot. Seems like having 3 stats on a crafted item would be better than having 2.
    Augment slots raise the Minlvl
    while Guild slots do not

    So when you make Gloves with Augslot and +6str it will not be minlvl 11 (9with mark) [depending on slot it will be +2 to +4 minlvl higher]
    Which makes Augs useless for cannith crafting till you get to higher levels (12+ but most likely more like 16+).
    And that makes them niche at best because will you really bother to make another item for 16+ when you already made a item with the same crafted on it for lvl9? also dont forget that you then would most likely wear that item for 4lvl max.
    Because at 20 the commendation gear already waits but most likely you will already have switched it out for named gear that is better and has a slot.

    Also Guild slot hp/sp stack while Aug hp/sp count as enchantment and do not.

    So all in all Guild slot is superior by a large margin and the few new augs you may want to slot (not much useful after all, DB seems like the best) will fit in your named items (which are anyway superior to crafted because we miss so much recipes)

    And yepp, new Augs are a nice kick in the balls of cannith crafting
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  19. #19
    Community Member Todkaninchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    augment slots are for toons with low cannith crafting
    at heroic lvls cannith + guild slots are far better than random gen + augment slot(haven't found an interesting named + slot sorry)
    at epic lvls MAY be useful, only for the named versions
    Check out the updated Luck Blade...

    Min level 8 short sword with Good Luck +1 and a Red, Orange, and Purple slot...

    If you are a bard or a ranger or something else that casts spells and has (partial) martial weapon proficiency, you can throw 3 red crystals on there or you can make it an off-hand caster booster (say devotion, with a ranger) that also does damage...

    My bard has one with resonance and devotion on it, haven't filled the last slot yet, still deciding. I'm running Elfcrafted light armor with arcane lore and will switch up to blue dragon with arcane lore in a level or two.

  20. #20
    Community Member Todkaninchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    the one im curious about is red slots on weapons. For example I saw the new version of i believe it was the vulkoorim giant slaying dagger had a red and purple slot, so could take two red gems. COuld you do two of the same type of dmg? Say I wanted to put 2 ice in and make a serious fire giant gutter etc.
    anyone tried that yet?
    Tried it out with a cheap set of Rubies of Flame on a Luck Blade. Yes, all 3 showed up when attacking the training dummy.

    (The other I got off AH cheap went to my bard for a caster stick...)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload