Default Please revert Brigand's Cutlass

This looks to be a good time to bring up the subject again how you made an alignment change to Brigand's Cutlass months after the event ran, basically making the hard earned weapons useless.

It was a fix to random generated and cannith crafted items with true chaos that had no alignment.
    Absolute chaos was not fixed at that time, and I never looked back if you did anything with it.

Named items don't have to comply with all the rules for random generated loot,
    why make a stealth nerf and deny you ever did it, we got the screenshots on archive.

Quote Originally Posted by Neouni View Post
    we got the screenshots on archive.
    No you don't, and a trip to Room 101 can be arranged to convince you of this if necessary.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

why make a stealth nerf and deny you ever did it, we got the screenshots on archive.
    It was never denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Either they just cleaned up that thread, or you are sending me to the mournlands side of the forum.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Either they just cleaned up that thread, or you are sending me to the mournlands side of the forum.
    Actually it's the beta forums from the expansion, I forget that not everyone can read them even though the NDA was lifted.

Here are a couple quotes from feather_of_sun about it/

Intended. This was a bugfix to the "Absolute Chaos" item effect.

Just like "True Chaos" has a UMD requirement for non-chaotic characters to use it, "Absolute Chaos" now has one as well. It was supposed to have one all along, but wasn't working.
    Please read the description of the "Absolute Chaos" effect on your item.

Quote: This weapon is infused with the ultimate power of Chaos. It does an additional 2 to 12 damage to non-chaotic targets and can only be wielded by Chaotic aligned characters.

Note the end of that sentence?

"can only be wielded by Chaotic aligned characters."

It has said that for as long as this item property has existed. Right there in the description. In plain sight.

If it makes you feel any better to call this a stealth nerf, then please, by all means, continue.
    It wasn't fixed earlier because I didn't know it was broken.
    I've been rebuilding our random treasure system from the ground up for this expansion pack. In the process I was adding more item effects to random drops.
    So, a few days ago, I put Absolute Chaos on an item to make sure it was working right, as I was adding it to the treasure system.
    I noticed it was not working correctly.
    I looked at the effect.
    I saw what was wrong.
    I fixed it.

Now, if you notice obvious bugs, and choose not to report them, that's fine. No-one is forcing you to report bugs. Just don't expect them to not get fixed if I someday stumble across them while I'm working on related things.

Fixing bugs is part of my job. If I find one while working, I fix it.

His logic is so flawed.

Bugs that when fixed are a detriment ot the game - should not be fixed, some devs understand that, and even talked about in detail a few times. More so, extreme care should be taken when nerfing items regardless of why the nerf happened as they impact players far more then the devs know. He needs to learn this.

EG: Animal pets break barrels. Wasn't fixed because it's a good bug.

Named items from a limited time event being useful to a larger variety of players? Also a good bug. Harder makes any sense to limit them so much since they are already limited greatly in when you can get them.

Well hopefully no one tells him that Green Steel weapons have never followed alignment restrictions since they were introduced, or he will nerf thousands of players rez clickies, because "its a bug".

Not to mention items that tons of players use that have bugs that negatively impact us constantly get ignored for minor ones like this (Madstone Boots).

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    No you don't, and a trip to Room 101 can be arranged to convince you of this if necessary.
    Everyone knows what's in room 101.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Community Member

This looks to be a good time to bring up the subject again how you made an alignment change to Brigand's Cutlass months after the event ran, basically making the hard earned weapons useless.

It was a fix to random generated and cannith crafted items with true chaos that had no alignment.
    Absolute chaos was not fixed at that time, and I never looked back if you did anything with it.

I thought it was the fix for the turbulant epee, where they reversed the order and changed alighment on many different weapons making them useless for the toons that had them. they told me that they were working on a fix but that never happened, instead more content and more bugs got introduced.
    We are all lost travelers, on a journey to find that which we do not know, but it is not a prize we seek, but the road that must be taken, it is that inside us that drives us forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Well hopefully no one tells him that Green Steel weapons have never followed alignment restrictions since they were introduced, or he will nerf thousands of players rez clickies, because "its a bug".
    Did they change Good Burst or Good Blast to have the alignment restriction in its description?

Community Member

Hard to muster sympathy.

If the weapon had something listed like 'Does 2-12 extra damage to outsiders' in the description, and didn't do the extra damage, there would've been bug reports out the wazoo.

P.S. To my recollection, animal pets breaking barrels was fixed. Devs were just kind enough to add in a 'bad dog' enhancement that gave the original (bugged) AI. So perhaps not the best example. Also, what is this madstone boots bug that was not fixed?

Can anyone confirm that pure good on greensteel weaps does not make them alignment-restricted? If this is the case, I would suggest using GS as a precedent regarding named items not following explicitly stated alignment restrictions. This would be 10x stronger if you could get a quote from earlier devs that this was WAI. Also, perhaps bring up the fact that you're upgrading from an anarchic (no align restrict) to absolute chaos (align restrict) which is something of a newbie trap.

Neither holy burst nor good blast have alignment restrictions listed in their descriptions.
    Greater good and supreme good, on the other hand, do.

I would also imagine that fixing this bug took almost no time whatsoever, which is why it was taken care of 'on the run', as it were. When you step on an egg that's fallen on the kitchen floor, do you wipe it up? Or do you think "Hm. There's also that dust on the railing in the living room, maybe I should take care of that first and add this egg to my queue"?
    Last edited by sandypaws; 03-15-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Did they change Good Burst or Good Blast to have the alignment restriction in its description?
    If it were possible for us to be evil, then it would be necessary to include that restriction. But since we can't, it's just wasted text.

Can anyone confirm that pure good on greensteel weaps does not make them alignment-restricted?
    Nobody can confirm that, because Pure Good is not on the list of effects that can be placed on Greensteel.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Nobody can confirm that, because Pure Good is not on the list of effects that can be placed on Greensteel.
    In that case I'm not sure which alignment restrictions on GS were being referred to.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)