I blame the missus.
She looted a new Sirocco yesterday (which now has a red augment slot) and also a Radiance Spellpower augment Ruby, and it immediately set my mind to thinking about some bizarre Favoured Soul build. I've tried Melee Hybrids in the past, and while I enjoyed the playstyle, I hated the lack of SP my Cleric 17/Monk 2/Fighter 1 build I once had.
Now I will say at this point I had some horrible experiences with this, I got fustrated with Raid Healing due to the difficulties of a low SP pool and trying to keep the supply healing going in more difficult raids. So I abandoned the concept and returned to my favourite melee DPS builds.
Well, that was nigh on 2-3 years ago. Now we have Epic Destinies, new loot, crafting and a wealth of new options open to us. So I fancy trying another Divine Melee/Caster Hybrid for fun purposes and seeing how I get on.
The Idea - 'Fire & Brimstone'
- A fun character for EN/EH content.
Lets me get a couple of things straight:
1) Without max DCs & Spell Pen I understand the instant kill direction doesn't work
3) There's not enough feats on a FvS to max out Spell Casting and any kind of 'high-end' Melee.
2) Trying to Max Str and Wis at the same time doesn't work.
So I think its possible to build a viable THF Melee FvS who uses Direct Damage as offensive spell casting. I.E:
1) Go Half-Orc and choose a weapon proficiency feat, but gain some nice damage bonuses.
2) Go Half-Elf, and choose Fighter Dilletante for Weapon Versatility.
3) Restrict Melee to being THF with Cleave/Great Cleave (maybe IC...) and Epic Options
I don't like playing Warforged, so that option is off the cards for me. Cleaves are good fun, nice damage AoE Attacks and far more useful in heroic content than spending three feats on the THF Feat line for a build such as this. At Epic levels, can possible qualify for Overwhelming Critical and some other ED Options.
1) The 'Holy Triumvirate' - Nimbus, Searing Light and Divine Punishment for Single Target, No Save damage at range.
2) The 'Fire' - FlameStrike and Firestorm as AoE damage spells, but with save vs. Reflex for half.
3) The 'Brimstone' - Cometfall for some small Crowd Control 'breather space'. One of my favourite Divine spells for its graphical impact. Another double Reflex Save for Damage/Knockdown. Conjuration based DC tho.
4) The 'Inquisition' - Thou Holy Blade Barrier, for AoE damage via Mob Kiting fun
Plenty of Direct Damage options available in the Divine List, and with Fire a much more useful prospect in epic quests I like the thought of tossing around some Flamestrikes and Firestorms as well.
Fvs 18/Monk 2
Base Stats & Possible End Stats (Half-Elf, 32pt First life)
Str: 32 = 16 Base +3 Tome +1 Racial +7 Item +2 Insight +1 Exc +2 Rage +2 Guild
Dex: 24 = 10 Base +3 Tome +7 Item +2 Insight +2 Guild
Con: 28 = 14 Base +3 Tome +7 Item +2 Insight +2 Guild
Int: 13 = 08 Base +3 Tome +2 Guild
Wis: 44 = 16 Base +6 Lvls +3 Tome +1 Racial +2 Class +8 Item +3 Insight +1 Exc +2 Guild +2 ED
Cha: 26 = 12 Base +3 Tome +7 Item +2 Insight +2 Guild
M1 Power Attack
2 Great Cleave
6 SF: Evocation (Access to ED DC Twists)
7 IC: Slash? Heighten?
E1 GSF: Evocation
E2 Overwhelming Critical or Epic Spell Focus?
I could do with some comments on the Feats, particularly those that are highlighted. ITs a case of do I specialise into a bit more Evocation DC or go for the extra Melee DPS.
The Evocation DC
09 Spell Level (Lets guess I take Heighten)..
17 Wisdom (44 Wis)
03 Spell Focus Feats
03 Magister Twist
03 DI Twist
02 Greater Evocation Item
That enough for EN/EH?. I suppose three Sorc lives would make this more interesting, as well as three Cleric lives for the Cometfall DC ... ok, baby steps first, I'm getting well ahead of myself.
Ok, now I'm really starting to struggle with a primary choice here:
EA: More SP, More SpellPower, A Light SLA...
FotW: More brutalising Melee DPS, Fury Unbridled, Adrenaline Cleaves!
LD: More Melee DPS, particular with extra big Crits and another Cleave
DI: Energy Burst. Does this destiny need another reason to choose it?
Shiradi: Procs Galore on spells.
Again some more advice welcome here...
So, the Questions:
1) Half-Elf or Half-Orc?
2) Feat Choices? Which ones?
3) Is it enough Evocation DC? Where to draw the line and call it a day?
4) Which Epic Destiny, and why?