Thumbs up Virtual Tabletop solution for D&D

After many years of attempts and failures by third parties and Wizards itself there is finally a Virtual Tabletop worthy of its name to play D&D, and its Free!

I'm obviously a little excited, i had believed my days of Pen & Paper would never return because of scheduling issues and the way nearly everyone i know has given up on it, either because campaigns never go further than 2 or 3 games or because they just don't have the patience to tackle the rules of the game anymore. I myself had given up DMing because controlling a tactical wargame with Roleplaying attached (as in 3E especially 4E) was exceedingly frustrating, fumbling all those notes, drawing maps, moving tons of minis and every player always loosing track of things made me so disheartened i simply gave up as well.

Now i have found this tool: Roll20.net
    And it is Beyond Awesome.

Just thought you guys might wanna know about it and give it a go.
    My dream is for the Dev team of DDO to make a monthly broadcast playing PnP D&D...
    Whoever else thinks that's a great idea should forward it to them.

PS: Those who recognize me may notice i've been absent for quite a while, eventually i got bored of the grind, but i'm thinking of checking out the new stuff soon.

I was using maptools til now, I will check this ASAP.

Thanks a lot.
    Sé que soy un irresponsable y un mal profesional, y puede que esté desaprovechando la oportunidad de mi vida. Lo sé, pero tengo una tonter?*a en el coco: no me gusta tomarme el DDO como un trabajo. Si lo hiciera no ser?*a yo. Sólo juego por divertirme.

You are welcome!

I tried using maptools but its interface wasn't very practical and i couldn't convince my group to try it. Roll20 is awesome because it is extremely easy to use and it doesn't require any installation, it works on anything that has a browser.

Great solution. Last weekend I was trying it.
    Extremely easy to use. I think I will support them, it is really a nice job. Very nice job.
    Sé que soy un irresponsable y un mal profesional, y puede que esté desaprovechando la oportunidad de mi vida. Lo sé, pero tengo una tonter?*a en el coco: no me gusta tomarme el DDO como un trabajo. Si lo hiciera no ser?*a yo. Sólo juego por divertirme.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

roll20 is an excellent tool

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I saw this thread a little while back, and gave the link to my son who was currently dm'ing our multistate game via skype, and I have to say I"m impressed and thank you for the heads up. It was great fun being able to see everyone as if we were around a table, although we still used teamspeak for the sound as it was clearer. And we had way too much fun drawing silly things on our poor dm's map. First session should just let players get it out of their systems. LOL
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Thumbs up

I tried Maptools but my old player base was so lazy to give it a try, I'll try to tempt them again with this new one, looks great!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Just thought I would point out it works great for other rpg's

Hackmaster

call of cuthlu

pathfinder

whatever

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I haven't really played with the guts of it much, does anyone know if it supports drawing pads? It occured to me my husband's bday is at the end of the month and he's eyeing a new drawing table, and maybe I could send the old one to my son to use for the maps. Mouse drawing is slow for him.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

I'm not sure Trinity, but if it doesn't work its possible to just drag over any image file to the table top.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by KKDragonLord View Post
    I'm not sure Trinity, but if it doesn't work its possible to just drag over any image file to the table top.
    Ah thank you. We had a family medical emergency, so haven't been using it or had time to play with it, but I think I will go ahead and send him the old one, worst case he can just draw it in his image editor and drag it then to speed things up. That boy is SLOW with mouse drawing! LOL Which of course leaves his players way too much time to start drawing on the map like fools too. We lack self control.