Thread: New cleric

Community Member

Default New cleric

hey there, i was just hoping someone could help me out a bit with a little info. I am a 100% healing cleric. I used to play arctic mud, and on that a cleric cannot cast using armor like chainmail, etc. however in this game you can. I was hoping someone could tell me if using heavy armor is a good thing? or if there is a penalty on casting...

In lamens, Should i use something more like a robe? or heavy armor?

Quote Originally Posted by meleagershroom View Post
    hey there, i was just hoping someone could help me out a bit with a little info. I am a 100% healing cleric. I used to play arctic mud, and on that a cleric cannot cast using armor like chainmail, etc. however in this game you can. I was hoping someone could tell me if using heavy armor is a good thing? or if there is a penalty on casting...

Heavy armor will not effect you casting cleric spells at all. If you are running a straight cleric, heavy armor will give you better melee defence that robes or outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Community Member

no casting penalty and my healbot uses heavy armor and i suggest it aswell

Community Member

you can use heavy armor wihout penalty as a cleric. You even get heavy armor proficency feat.

Is it good? Sure it is. least in my opinion it is
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

With Crystal Cove coming shortly, I recommend farming the Cavalry Plate, the highest level you can put on. As a Cleric, you'll have no problems finding groups for it (and will likely have to decline blind invites left and right )
    Last edited by PNellesen; 02-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

thanks guys, only lvl 4, ill look into the plate when im a little bigger

Community Member

my last questions is then, what does it mean when it says spell failure -10% as example

my last questions is then, what does it mean when it says spell failure -10% as example
    that is the chance that your spell will fail.

BUT!

that doesnt apply to you. that is only for arcane spell failure, not divine.

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

thanks

thanks guys, only lvl 4, ill look into the plate when im a little bigger
    You can get Cavalry Plate in level 4,8,12,16, and 20 versions (and possibly 24?).

If you do get a chance to run the Cove, it's probably the best item you can get out of it now for your Cleric (in my opinion).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

The Crystal Cove is a "special" event. It will start up on March 1st and run through the 10th of March. It's incredibly fun to run and you will get a kick out of the Kobolds.

There are guides around: Like This but the basic jist of the event goes like this:

1) Kill stuff to get map pieces in the wilderness (there are other places too, but no need)
    2) Turn in Map Pieces, Open the event - Everyone on the server doing the event helps with this
    3) Get in, heal stuff / kill stuff, etc. This event is great fun with a full group. Find a good one and veg out on Kobold still Hate you
    4) Profit
    5) Look at the Barter Box - Craft away

You can also look at the DDOwiki under Crafting and Events to find out what other gear (besides the Cav Plate) you might want to build.
    Last edited by Atremus; 02-23-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Stuff fixed
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Community Member

Default D&D Divine vs. Arcane Magic

The answer to your question "Can I use heavy armors" comes from D&D lore.

1) Favored Souls and Cleric's obtain their magical spells from their patron deities by worshiping them. They do not manipulate magic to do their bidding, its more of a "bonus" for being a good follower . Since there's no manipulation, there's no failure for being "burdened" with heavier armors.

2) Wizards and Sorcerers however do affect the magical energies through manipulation, and they are directly encumbered as they make their movements, gestures, etc. That's where Arcane Spell Failure comes from. The heavier the armor, the more the spell failure.....

Hope this helps.
    The d'Fallenangel Mafia: Ametryst (Evil Mini-me Assault Healer), Blackruby (Wicked Bruiser), Benyr ("Goodie Two-Shoes" Chaplain), Mordayne (House Patron/Mastermind), Nchanteer ("Will he ever grow up?"), Rockiii (House Enforcer)